Probably controversial rant about "abusing the system" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 132 Old 08-02-2011, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
 
Adaline'sMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, so twice in the past couple of weeks Ive seen a new poster come onto the MDC boards and chew someone out for being on public assistance, mainly with the idea that you should NEVER EVER choose to have more kids if you are having to take money from the government. Now, I quit reading that "Welfare Mom" thread about 10 pages deep, so some of this has probably already been covered.

I am sick and tired of people getting all up in arms about people who are on medicaid and food stamps.

Personally, I could not have children with any prenatal care if I didnt have medicaid. DH and I own our own business and I got 6 seperate quotes for health insurance 3 months ago and for me, DD, and DH to have insurance would cost us $700 a month. Thats right PER MONTH. And then, I would still have co pays on top of that. Not everyone in this world works for someone else who pays for half of their health insurance. SO, what, we just arent supposed to have families because of the f*ed up way the health insurance/hospital relationship system works? Or maybe we just arent supposed to have prenatal care. Get off your high horse thinking that just because you have a job that you get health insurance from and you have a pay half or a little extra or whatever that you are more entitled to have kids that I am. And dont give me that "well my taxes pay for it blah blah blah" because guess what? My taxes pay for it too. And I have to pay a ridiculous amount of taxes as a small business owner. Ill bet that I pay more in taxes that someone who has a 40 hour a week corporate job does. (part of that is because I need an accountant that I cant afford...but whatever)

And by the way, Ill will be, or my kids will be on Medicaid until the governments provides universal (or something close to it) health care, because we will probably NEVER NOT qualify for it and why the hell should I pay $700 a month plus co pays when I qualify for health care from the government. These qualifications are made by people YOU vote for after all (you know, since most people who have such strong opinions about this issue are also the very people to tell me that I should campaign for a different person if I want to see change eyesroll.gifeyesroll.gifeyesroll.gif )

Ok. Im done, and I might delete this because Im really just mad that we people keep thinking that poor people dont deserve to have children.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Adaline'sMama is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 132 Old 08-02-2011, 06:32 PM
 
philomom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 9,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
On the other end of this.. dh makes a fabulous salary and our chronically ill child uses up all the extra funds around her care.. and that's with a good health insurance. I'm talking about the 10% the insurance doesn't pay can rack up to a couple of thousand a month. We can't get help because we "make too much".

I don't remember the posts you are speaking of but I did limit my family size once I realized that we would be in this tough spot. Maybe welfare moms should consider that, too. No one can foresee certain things but the kids are not to blame and they deserve as good a life as I can manage.
transylvania_mom and Areia like this.
philomom is offline  
#3 of 132 Old 08-02-2011, 06:40 PM
 
blessedwithboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

It doesn't bother me one bit to see a hard working family take advantage of free healthcare.

 

Women who mindlessly have one baby after another and use having a newborn as an excuse to not work are a whole 'nother story IMNSHO.

 

And FTR I am a single mother of two who worked 20 hrs/wk and didn't qualify for Medicaid while my married, small business owning friends did.  I don't pretend to understand the system, but I do know that I sure don't like it!

transylvania_mom and Keakie like this.

Bring back the old MDC
blessedwithboys is online now  
#4 of 132 Old 08-02-2011, 07:53 PM
 
raelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 810
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i don't have a problem at all with people using Medicaid. i just wish that we all could have it as a Single Payer health care system.  i am a patriot and i want to make sure that every citizen of my country is taken care of and that all babies get a shot at a healthy start.  because that is what a patriot is: someone who loves their country, someone who takes care of their citizenry and wants to make sure that we are strong.  Good for you for making sure that your children have what they need. because ANY of those people who give you a hard time would do the EXACT same thing if they could or if they found themselves in the same situation. that is what the program is for.  

raelize is offline  
#5 of 132 Old 08-02-2011, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
 
Adaline'sMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Patriot or not, I would rather have a single payer system. I can get Medicaid when Im pregnant, and DD can get it, but DH is sol. I beg some pretend god everyday that he not get into any kind of accident while hes working.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Adaline'sMama is offline  
#6 of 132 Old 08-02-2011, 08:19 PM
 
scsigrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 2 steps from CraZyville
Posts: 1,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Our family pays $700 a month for health care.  That is on top of what DH's company pays for it.  We also have co-pays and all that.  Do I wish everyone had health care? Yes.  Do I think that while we are paying $700/month that DH should be paying into "they system" yes.  Do I feel it's a responsibility to help others?  Yes.  Do I think that people should consider the needs of a child and choose to stop or not have any if they can't afford to give a child these basic needs? Yes.  Because that is what you do as a responsible person.  Is it always fair? No, but life isn't.  

Getting help when you need it is one thing.  Taking on more than you KNOWINGLY can is something totally different.  The system is broken. I think we can all agree on that!

alicia622, cheer mom and Areia like this.
scsigrl is offline  
#7 of 132 Old 08-02-2011, 08:46 PM
 
NiteNicole's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I'm not going to get involved in this after all.

NiteNicole is offline  
#8 of 132 Old 08-02-2011, 09:14 PM
 
Katie T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 2,485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We pay $350 a month in health care (with high copays, and its crappy insurance) through DH job. We also have medipass as a secondary insurance. We got it when DH got laid off. I called when he got his job back and told them I wanted taken off of it and the lady was like why you still qualify. I told her it was because I don't like relying on state assistance. Needless to say after a long talk I let her keep us on it. Granted we qualify but I still feel bad even though not much get payed for by them. (we dont' dr much beyond well visits/6 month dental checkups and our insurance covers that 100%)

 

I do agree that people should not have a ton of kids if they can't afford it. It is not fair to the children or their grand children. If we don't all work to fix the mess the US is in it will only be worse for future generations. I don't feel judgmental to most people who are on it because they are hard working people who on bc had children. What drives me nuts are the people mentioned in the op. 


~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

Katie T is offline  
#9 of 132 Old 08-02-2011, 09:24 PM
 
Bokonon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigrl View Post

Our family pays $700 a month for health care.  That is on top of what DH's company pays for it.  We also have co-pays and all that.  Do I wish everyone had health care? Yes.  Do I think that while we are paying $700/month that DH should be paying into "they system" yes.  Do I feel it's a responsibility to help others?  Yes.  Do I think that people should consider the needs of a child and choose to stop or not have any if they can't afford to give a child these basic needs? Yes.  Because that is what you do as a responsible person.  Is it always fair? No, but life isn't.  

Getting help when you need it is one thing.  Taking on more than you KNOWINGLY can is something totally different.  The system is broken. I think we can all agree on that!


We pay about $700 a month for health care as well, and DH's company subsidizes some of that. 

 

It is as essential to me as having auto insurance and food to eat, and we would cut many other expenses before eliminating our health insurance.  We don't have a choice, as we don't qualify for Medicaid.  But I feel very comfortable with it, because it's worth it, and I DON'T have to pray every day that my husband doesn't get into an accident that we can't afford to treat him for.  I've never not had health insurance.  It's just not an option for us.

 

OP, you stated your opinion as you see it, and you are entitled to that, but that doesn't mean that other opinions are irrelevant.

 

 


A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Bokonon is offline  
#10 of 132 Old 08-02-2011, 10:04 PM
 
ElliesMomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok. Im done, and I might delete this because Im really just mad that we people keep thinking that poor people dont deserve to have children.


with few exceptions, "poor" people ALWAYS have more kids than "rich" people. go figure.

 

transylvania_mom likes this.

ElliesMomma is offline  
#11 of 132 Old 08-02-2011, 10:18 PM
 
Smokering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 8,313
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Honestly, the way the healthcare system works (well, "works") in the US just flabbergasts me. I just read in Frugality and Finances the other day that someone had been whacked with a $30,000 bill for a couple of ultrasounds! And that it can cost over $10,000 for an uncomplicated hospital birth. I just don't get how a system can be that screwed up. Yes, DH complains about paying taxes here in NZ, but having a baby is FREE, DD just had a doctor's appointment and got antibiotics for free, and my sister will shortly have surgery on her back (scoliosis) for, yes, free. And we have yet to become communist zombies, or whatever evil is supposed to befall countries with free health care. Yes, I get the occasional stank eye for not vaxing, but so do most parents in the USA! (And we don't have to apply for an exemption or anything like that.)

 

From my point of view, it looks like the system you guys have is abusive. Your situation - a couple of kids on Medicaid - is hardly abusing the abuser. It sounds to me like trying to survive in a stressful, unsustainable, frankly awful situation. You keep on doing your thing, mama. :)


If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Smokering is offline  
#12 of 132 Old 08-03-2011, 12:53 AM
 
DariusMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: I've been in the lowlands too long
Posts: 2,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I live in Europe (but am American). After over a decade here, I can no longer even conceive why Americans put up with the absolutely horrible way health insurance is run in America.

 

I hear so many Americans complain about not wanting higher taxes. We pay almost 50% in taxes yet we are better off in terms of monthly disposable income than nearly all of my friends and family in America . .. Why? Affordable health insurance! Plus, because insurance is good and affordable, i have much less stress in my life. . . .I know if, God forbid, something happens to one of us, the insurance will cover it (and the only co-pays are for things like acupuncture). No, the system isn't perfect, but, for instance, I've never had to wait longer for a treatment or procedure than my family in the US has had to wait for insurance pre-approval. (BTW: I'm not in a single payer country but in a mandatory insurance country with policies subsidized via tax breaks for the poor + gov't oversight to make sure that all policies offered cover certain things).

 

 

shantimama likes this.
DariusMom is offline  
#13 of 132 Old 08-03-2011, 01:39 AM
 
Smokering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 8,313
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

 

Quote:
After over a decade here, I can no longer even conceive why Americans put up with the absolutely horrible way health insurance is run in America.

I know, right?! I've heard someone mention almost casually that her daughter broke her leg and racked up $100,000 of medical bills. Obviously she was peeved, but also sort of resigned, in a "that's life" kind of way. I just... like you say, I can't conceive of living with that kind of possibility hanging over your head. A hundred THOUSAND. That's like, half a house! OK, maybe a third of a house, where I live. Depends on the house. :p But still. It should not cost that much to set a leg, even if you're embedding jewels in the cast.

 

I suppose the answer is that Americans put up with it because they don't have much choice in the matter; but still. It really horrifies me. And then when you read about the treatment people get in return for their massive bills... I had a doctor be rude and condescending to me the other day, but at least I didn't have to write him a cheque for it. :p (Yes, I know I paid for it indirectly, but it seems less on the nose, at least!)


If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Smokering is offline  
#14 of 132 Old 08-03-2011, 02:42 AM
Banned
 
accountclosed3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

nice thing here is that you can actually do without health insurance. they have this thing called ACC (accidental something and something), which is basically, if you have an accident, you get care. so, you break a leg, they set it, and you're good. no fees. seriously. 

 

pregnancy? 100% covered. infertility, you get a lot of options, and if you get to IVF, then you get two attempts for FREE. seriously!

 

kids dental and basic medical: covered. any special needs, no biggie, you go on the waiting list, and it's not that long. If it's a serious emergency (eg, you'd die if you had to wait), then you don't have to wait. and if you don't want to wait, if you have health insurance (which isn't that expensive, i think it would cost us about $200 per year for our family, and it covers A LOT), then you can go ahead and see the specialist at your leisure. 

 

honestly, it's a good deal. because we really only go to the doctor for check ups, we decided not to get health insurance. we paid $200 out of pocket for our dental care this year (cleaning plus dental appointment), and i need to redo a tooth filling ($250), and so i'm saving up for that. But otherwise, a doctor's visit is $75 out of pocket, but your general physical is covered if you just go into your "registered" doctor. Easy done. 

 

and, you can spend your money on preventative care, if you want.

 

I grant, we don't have a lot of expendable income, based on our immigration status, business, and how we run our lives so frugally (ok, i do have plenty of expendable income if i wasn't so frugal), but the quality of life is high, and i don't feel like i'm throwing $2-300 per month down a black hole with no dividends because various things aren't covered with the combination of networks, covered procedures and not covered ones, lack of choices, and obviously, the ever growing deductible. No, health care in the US is crap. 

 

we pay higher taxes here, but quality of life is WAY better.

 

accountclosed3 is offline  
#15 of 132 Old 08-03-2011, 02:44 AM
Banned
 
accountclosed3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

oh, and your pregnancy coverage -- lots of options: homebirth midwife? covered. birth center? covered. hospital with midwife? covered. hospital with doctor? covered. emergency treatments for you or infant of any kind? covered.

 

swear to googly, it's awesome.

accountclosed3 is offline  
#16 of 132 Old 08-03-2011, 02:51 AM
Banned
 
accountclosed3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

wait, smokering already said all that. LOL

 

no, i'm happy with the system here. it really works. and what's nice is, working in alternative health care, people can actually afford to try things that *gasp* work, but that insurance would never cover, and also try things that just make life better or easier with what you have, because you're not spending lots and lots and lots on health care and copays and everyhting else -- particularly, god forbid, you have some chronic condition. 

 

i feel blessed that our "tough cases" can afford to take yoga class and feldencrais and get physio and get acupuncture, energy work, and massages on a regular basis to make their lives better and easier, because health care is *covered* for them. 

 

and, at least it's covered by a system with checks and balances, not a for-profit insurance company.

accountclosed3 is offline  
#17 of 132 Old 08-03-2011, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter
 
Adaline'sMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

oh, and your pregnancy coverage -- lots of options: homebirth midwife? covered. birth center? covered. hospital with midwife? covered. hospital with doctor? covered. emergency treatments for you or infant of any kind? covered.

 

swear to googly, it's awesome.

I'm interested in this type of insurance (and will probably research it, but not at 6:30 in the morning) but I do want to point out that where I live ONLY a hospital with a doctor would be covered. Insurance does not cover midwifery in states where the practice is illegal. (ie. Kentucky)

This looks pretty awesome to me, because other than some prenatal care, bith and the occasional well visit we are not really big on going to the doctor. If I was going to pay $700 a month I could have just paid cash for everything so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Honestly, the way the healthcare system works (well, "works") in the US just flabbergasts me. I just read in Frugality and Finances the other day that someone had been whacked with a $30,000 bill for a couple of ultrasounds! And that it can cost over $10,000 for an uncomplicated hospital birth. I just don't get how a system can be that screwed up. Yes, DH complains about paying taxes here in NZ, but having a baby is FREE, DD just had a doctor's appointment and got antibiotics for free, and my sister will shortly have surgery on her back (scoliosis) for, yes, free. And we have yet to become communist zombies, or whatever evil is supposed to befall countries with free health care. Yes, I get the occasional stank eye for not vaxing, but so do most parents in the USA! (And we don't have to apply for an exemption or anything like that.)

 

From my point of view, it looks like the system you guys have is abusive. Your situation - a couple of kids on Medicaid - is hardly abusing the abuser. It sounds to me like trying to survive in a stressful, unsustainable, frankly awful situation. You keep on doing your thing, mama. :)


Ive been waiting for someone from the free medical world to weigh in. I would love to pay more in taxes for everyone to have free healthcare, and wouldnt complain about it a bit. In fact, if our country would quit spending so much money on wars we would already be over halfway there.

Thanks for saying the bolded. That is exactly how I feel about it.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Adaline'sMama is offline  
#18 of 132 Old 08-03-2011, 04:33 AM
 
P.J.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I think $700/month for a family of three sounds reasonable.

 

But I have no idea what I'm talking about.

 

I am also American in Europe. I am publicly insured and so it's taken out of my income and I pay nothing for health care. It's wonderful!

 

However, DH is freelance and freelancers get f*&ked in this system. He pays almost 500 euros a month....that would be around 750 US$!!!!!!!!!!! My son was refused by the public system because his father is on the private system, so we pay 100 euros/month for him...that would be about $150. So, for our family of three we pay the equivalent of $950 US, plus my income being very low because the health insurance money comes out of it.

 

I am not arguing that the system here is bad, I'm just illustrating that if you are not employed by a company (ie: freelance, own company, etc) you pay through the nose for health insurance, do not be fooled!

 

That said, we would love to move back to the US, but the only thing keeping us: exhorbitant health care costs for crappy health care! DH is 54 years old, and for him to get a new health insurance contract in the US would cost him well over $1000/month. It's not even the cost but the fact that being insured in America is no guarantee of health care. They refuse to pay all the time, raise your premium, and just generally screw you whenever and however they can. So we're staying put in Europe.

 

Oh and don't get me started on working the system. I love the European system and it is so so so so much better than the one the US has. However, it leaves a lot of room for people to take advantage. Granted, they are getting stricter, but it's pretty nuts what people do. Don't even get me started. Don't even ask me about my SIL, who hasn't worked in over 2 years, is still getting FULL PAY and has had numerous other benefits, all because she is depressed (and refuses to try to help herself using the generous therapy the state pays for, because if she felt better, she might have to *gasp* work again). Don;'t ask me about the many people I know who retired in their 30s, 40s, or 50s because they had one operation or MINOR health complaint and claimed they were handicapped.

 

 

OK, I'll step down off my soapbox now. soapbox.gif

 

I'm just saying the European system has it's flaws and some folks DO pay a TON for health insurance (granted, what you get here is far far superior). And I happen to be one of those people who is really angered by folks working the system and taking advantage. I won't comment about people having kids and being on welfare except to say...I think it is really case-by-case and sure, some mamas are taking advantage, others are not.


Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
P.J. is offline  
#19 of 132 Old 08-03-2011, 06:43 AM
 
IceCreamJoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post

It doesn't bother me one bit to see a hard working family take advantage of free healthcare.

 

Women who mindlessly have one baby after another and use having a newborn as an excuse to not work are a whole 'nother story IMNSHO.

 


Yes.  Exactly.

 

IceCreamJoy is offline  
#20 of 132 Old 08-03-2011, 06:51 AM
 
hildare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in-the-sticks-off-a-dirt-road, GA
Posts: 2,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

did you ever see this article?  i think it's hilarious meself:  half of US social program recipients believe they haven't ever used a government program... (ok the link is from boingboing but it actually links & cites legit info)

you know, AM, some people are just jerks.  some people are classist.  some people are ignorant by choice, and some people listen to some really awful sources and choose to believe those rather than think for themselves.  just remember that when you deal with judgey people or just plain idiots. 

personally, i think that people who think it's up to them to decide who should be having children are the class A problem.  like the radiohead song, you would be first against a wall.  it's ok to say that, it's just my opinion, right?  ok, that was very inappropriate. 

 

sorry.  i get a little worked up about it.  however, i think also it's funny that people equate income level to quality of life.  it doesn't really work that way.  just cause you can buy your kids a bunch of crap doesn't mean they are any happier than they would be otherwise, you know.  that's just what they want you to think so we keep arguing, judging and fighting each other and don't think about where our money really goes. 

look at the cost of war.  how much healthcare and quality education might we provide for that?  i don't think a mama getting foodstamps is the problem here guys. 


Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

hildare is offline  
#21 of 132 Old 08-03-2011, 07:15 AM
 
mumkimum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio-land
Posts: 2,863
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The issue of families and people having children they can ill afford is and should be a separate issue from who is deserving of government-sponsored healthcare.  

 

If the government has money and you live there and qualify you should use it because that is what it is for.  I can't stand the attitude that you should also morally 'deserve' it too.  Nothing is based on that - it can't be.  Totally subjective.  There are always people in the world who are jerks - it isn't possible to get rid of them.  So yeah, people will always be 'taking advantage' of something, that doesn't mean that it doesn't deserve to exist.    

 

And FWIW, our family actually has unbelievably affordable healthcare for the US (I think we pay $130/mo for our family AND we can have up to 12 kids covered for that price!  But that's because DH works in healthcare and we choose the 'least attractive' choices plan because it's so affordable.). 

purslaine and Kyamo like this.
mumkimum is offline  
#22 of 132 Old 08-03-2011, 07:19 AM
 
Aeress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Neat the Shores of Lake Erie
Posts: 6,397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How do we know someone is mindlessly having babies?

 

 Choosing to have more children than you can afford- who decides how many you can afford? I think there are many issues that surround the decision to have children and the number, and often times, it has nothing to do with money. Should money always be a factor? I am not personally comfortable making decisions for others.

 I am more concerned about how children are cared for, rather than with WHAT, they are cared with- ie money. Money may make daily life easier, but it doesn't make for better family outcomes. There are just too many issues when having children and raising a family...just too many.


Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Aeress is offline  
#23 of 132 Old 08-03-2011, 07:23 AM
 
~Amy~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Riverview, NB
Posts: 508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I feel exactly the same way.  With DH's job, we have the potential to be asked to move to the US and honestly, the thought of living there absolutely terrifies me.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Honestly, the way the healthcare system works (well, "works") in the US just flabbergasts me. I just read in Frugality and Finances the other day that someone had been whacked with a $30,000 bill for a couple of ultrasounds! And that it can cost over $10,000 for an uncomplicated hospital birth. I just don't get how a system can be that screwed up. Yes, DH complains about paying taxes here in NZ, but having a baby is FREE, DD just had a doctor's appointment and got antibiotics for free, and my sister will shortly have surgery on her back (scoliosis) for, yes, free. And we have yet to become communist zombies, or whatever evil is supposed to befall countries with free health care. Yes, I get the occasional stank eye for not vaxing, but so do most parents in the USA! (And we don't have to apply for an exemption or anything like that.)

 

From my point of view, it looks like the system you guys have is abusive. Your situation - a couple of kids on Medicaid - is hardly abusing the abuser. It sounds to me like trying to survive in a stressful, unsustainable, frankly awful situation. You keep on doing your thing, mama. :)



 


Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
~Amy~ is offline  
#24 of 132 Old 08-03-2011, 07:32 AM
 
crunchy_mommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

did you ever see this article?  i think it's hilarious meself:  half of US social program recipients believe they haven't ever used a government program... (ok the link is from boingboing but it actually links & cites legit info)


Amusing article. I think it would be hard to get 50% of people to agree with their definition of 'social program' though. By their definition, 100% of people in the US have used social programs and it would be totally unavoidable to NOT use them. I just can't agree with that.

AM -- I agree -- and one problem with people thinking 'welfare' recipients shouldn't have babies is that no one can predict the future. Few people will ever be financially secure enough, with enough fail-safes in place, to say with certainty that they will never need government assistance. Personal tragedies and natural disasters and the fluctuating economy and so many other things... all add up to an unpredictability that is just part of life. So almost no one who is mindfully having more babies can do so under the illusion that they without a doubt can provide for them for their entire life without ever needing an ounce of assistance. That need just may come into play earlier in life for some than for others.

Oh and I get health insurance through my employer. My monthly premiums are high, and I have high copays AND high deductibles. I really don't quite understand what I am paying for with insurance, because I still end up with high medical bills, and I still have to weigh whether I'm hurt or sick enough to see a doctor against the cost of office visits and blood work and medication (sadly, the cost usually wins).

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
crunchy_mommy is offline  
#25 of 132 Old 08-03-2011, 07:44 AM
 
NiteNicole's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

double

NiteNicole is offline  
#26 of 132 Old 08-03-2011, 07:45 AM
 
NiteNicole's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

And "some people" work and still have to pay for private insurance which covers next to nothing and can't afford another child OR lean on "the system" so yes, the system is jacked up when people who work can't afford to plan another child and people who don't work keep on having them.  I would love for EVERYONE to have all the babies they want, but I would like to be included in that group.

 

We pay over $700 a month for private insurance, which covers next to nothing.  My daughter can't get the PT and OT she needs because we can't afford it, nor do we qualify for any programs because we're not low income (nevermind we're up to our asses in debt for medical crap) so no, we won't be having any more kids.

 

It's frustrating when people work and can't afford the same things that other people are getting for free.  Yes, it would be WONDERFUL if we could all have the medical care we need but I would so love for me and my family to be included in that!  Apparently those of us in the dwindling middle class should be happy to pay into the system, but God forbid we benefit from it.

 

 

APToddlerMama likes this.
NiteNicole is offline  
#27 of 132 Old 08-03-2011, 07:54 AM
 
kittywitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The Room of Requirement
Posts: 13,061
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Holly, I agree with you. At dh's work, insurance for us would be over $1600 a month. On a teacher's salary. Obviously we would be living in an alley if we paid that, so we have medicaid. You're treated like crap for being on medicaid, too. Don't listen to people who are just trying to start fights or are just classist and ignorant and not worth your time.
purslaine likes this.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif
 
  

kittywitty is offline  
#28 of 132 Old 08-03-2011, 07:56 AM
 
limabean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Honestly, the way the healthcare system works (well, "works") in the US just flabbergasts me. I just read in Frugality and Finances the other day that someone had been whacked with a $30,000 bill for a couple of ultrasounds! And that it can cost over $10,000 for an uncomplicated hospital birth. I just don't get how a system can be that screwed up. Yes, DH complains about paying taxes here in NZ, but having a baby is FREE, DD just had a doctor's appointment and got antibiotics for free, and my sister will shortly have surgery on her back (scoliosis) for, yes, free. And we have yet to become communist zombies, or whatever evil is supposed to befall countries with free health care. 


I live in the U.S. and that hasn't been my experience. I agree that healthcare is tremendously screwed up here, but I haven't been hit with any bills, despite 2 hospital births, a surgery that led to complications and further hospitalization, etc. It was all free to me (except for my prescriptions, which were each a $10 copay at the pharmacy), with my (average) health insurance. I got an itemized receipt after DS's birth, and it did come out to over $10,000, but zero of that came out of my pocket.

 

I don't disagree with you that those stories happen, but the smooth-sailing side of the coin exists as well. I'm not sure what the difference is between my insurance and that of people who get hit with these massive bills. 


DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
limabean is offline  
#29 of 132 Old 08-03-2011, 08:04 AM
 
crunchy_mommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

 


I live in the U.S. and that hasn't been my experience. I agree that healthcare is tremendously screwed up here, but I haven't been hit with any bills, despite 2 hospital births, a surgery that led to complications and further hospitalization, etc. It was all free to me (except for my prescriptions, which were each a $10 copay at the pharmacy), with my (average) health insurance. I got an itemized receipt after DS's birth, and it did come out to over $10,000, but zero of that came out of my pocket.

 

I don't disagree with you that those stories happen, but the smooth-sailing side of the coin exists as well. I'm not sure what the difference is between my insurance and that of people who get hit with these massive bills. 


You must have really great insurance. Even with insurance, an echocardiogram (basically just an ultrasound!) cost me $1000. Blood work varies from $80-$500+, and again, that's with insurance. I don't know if some employers just choose the cheapest insurance they can, or what. I actually had a choice of 3 different insurance co's and 5 different plans, which felt like a luxury -- until I realized that no doctor in our state is willing to work with one of the insurers, that the plan with the 'best' insurer was something like $1800/mo, and that left the plan I chose and another identical one with slightly (but not significantly) lower deductibles. It's messed up. Someone I know lives in MA, where insurance is mandatory, and the insurance he was REQUIRED to purchase through his employer was not only expensive but covered NOTHING -- basically they would pay up to $50 of a hospitalization. (So he'd be responsible for the other $9950 or whatever)... WHAT???? Insurance is so messed up that it's not even funny. Consider yourself lucky lol.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
crunchy_mommy is offline  
#30 of 132 Old 08-03-2011, 08:11 AM
 
NiteNicole's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Our last insurance was actually really great, and I have had really great insurance before that - but always through jobs with huge companies.  If you have to have private insurance, there just are no good options.  You know it's bad when you have to keep explaining to doctors that no, you can't just "get some PT and OT started for her" because you don't have a spare $800/week lying around.

NiteNicole is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off