No war but class war - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What is your family's yearly income?
Less than $10,000 7 3.27%
$10,000-$20,000 10 4.67%
$20,000- $30,000 16 7.48%
$30,000- $40,000 25 11.68%
$50,000-$75,000 51 23.83%
$75,000- $100,000 48 22.43%
above $100,000 57 26.64%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-04-2011, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My other rant post made me really curious to find out what the general income bracket of most MDCers is. I read in a post several months ago that the typical MDC mamma falls into the income bracket of $60,000- $100,000 a year. Feel free to be completely anoymous here.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2011, 11:20 AM

I would be gobsmacked if the average was $60-100 K. Many of the families on here are single income families, either because they are single parents or because one parent stays home with the child. That's a lot of money for one person to make each year.

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
Old 08-04-2011, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, but how are people affording to stay home with 4-5 kids and have vehicles that can carry them all, insurance for them all, and feeding them all without help? It seems like there are lots of folks doing that, and they arent usually doing it on $30,000. I guess we wont know unless lots of folks vote. I feel like it will have to be a pretty significant amount of votes to be anywhere near accurate.

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 08-04-2011, 11:49 AM

I'm not going to vote, because I really think a US response is more relevant. Every country's economy is set up differently.  For instance, as discussed in your other thread, I don't have to pay for medical. If I did, I don't think I'd be able to stay home.

I will say that I could have supported my family, in close to the lifestyle we're currently living, on $40,000, even 10 years ago. We do have more than that coming in now. DH makes what I consider to be astonishingly good money - but it's close to the median household income for our area. And, we do own a new minivan (2010 model), but it was the cheapest one on the market, and we rent in the cheapest complex we could find. I'm pretty much resigned to never owning a home, as we can't even afford a one bedroom apartment here, and that wouldn't be close to big enough for our family, even if we could...

I think there's a huge range of incomes on MDC, but there's no doubt in my mind that there are a significant number of people in the $60K-$100K range.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 08-04-2011, 12:16 PM

We're above $100k but we also live in one of the highest COL places in the country and the incomes here are compatible with that high cost of living.  If we were to move back to my hometown in WV, our income would be significantly lower simply because the region doesn't have the type of market (with high salaries) that it has up here in NY.  We'd also pay considerably less for housing in WV.  Maybe a better way to gage income is to first address where people live and that would provide a better window into how their income really works.  Our present income would buy us a mansion and some high-end cars in WV.  Here, we live in a one bedroom apartment/have no car/pay high city taxes for prized services like great parks and museums. 

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:40 PM

at first i was like.. how are we going to make it anonymous?  headscratch.gif  pregnancy hormones are not affecting my brain well. 

we make less than the number you stated.  not that much less, and my salary is public record anyway.  but i am the only one working.  we have a very low cost of living, found a great house as a short sale, and our mortgage is very low. 

we have a newish vehicle (and a tractor and some other really nice things) because dh's father has been able to help us a good bit. 

we also grow our own food & process it.  and dh manages our money very - shall we say- carefully?  i will not mention arses or tighness.  nope. 

we buy clothes secondhand.  mostly all the time.  i spend money on new shoes, though. 

i guess we have what we have and are where we are because a) my dh is really frugal and he also is very good at making money-- he bought a house in ok shape in a fantastic location and made money on the sale and also started a business and sold it decently  and b) my father in law is generous and c) i've been working in the same profession for around 10 years and have several degrees but managed to get into a student loan repayment program based on income and number of household members - not that i am paid what i really ought to be and d) we don't spend much at all. 

i was really, really shocked when a friend told me her daughter bought a tahoe but then she told me how much they cost.  jaw.gif  and i was like, holy crap.  that's a third of a mortgage.  my gosh.  so we don't, nor would we EVER, spend money on something like that.... 

and AM, you know how most of the people do it?  they rely on their credit cards.  (not what we do either)

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Old 08-04-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post
and dh manages our money very - shall we say- carefully?  i will not mention arses or tighness.  nope. 

biglaugh.gifbiglaugh.gifbiglaugh.gifbiglaugh.gif

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 08-04-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsCradle View Post

We're above $100k but we also live in one of the highest COL places in the country and the incomes here are compatible with that high cost of living.  If we were to move back to my hometown in WV, our income would be significantly lower simply because the region doesn't have the type of market (with high salaries) that it has up here in NY.  We'd also pay considerably less for housing in WV.  Maybe a better way to gage income is to first address where people live and that would provide a better window into how their income really works.  Our present income would buy us a mansion and some high-end cars in WV.  Here, we live in a one bedroom apartment/have no car/pay high city taxes for prized services like great parks and museums. 

I was about to say the same thing. The amount of money we make is just barely enough for where we live... well, if DH wasn't unemployed lol.gif (I voted based on our income before DH got laid off...) but it might seem like a lot in other parts of the country. Here, I have to be very careful with our expenses and things like buying new (or even thrifted) clothes and eating out (even cheap fast food) are not possible for us. In another area, we could easily have a nice house and clothes that fit and maybe even a few little extras.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Old 08-04-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytchywoman View Post

I would be gobsmacked if the average was $60-100 K. Many of the families on here are single income families, either because they are single parents or because one parent stays home with the child. That's a lot of money for one person to make each year.

Really? You'd be surprised? I would definitely have guessed that was the average household income of most MDC'ers based on past polls/discussions.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think COL is so diverse that looking at salaries doesn't give you the really big picture that you would want to see. 

I live in San Diego, California. The COL is extremely high. I know people who make 80k and rent. They can't afford to own a home in this area. And while I balance our checking account, I'd say the biggest thought going through my head is, " We should have way more for what we bring in". And yes, I'm a sahm. But it's at a BIG sacrifice. We go without a LOT so that I can stay home. 

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

Old 08-04-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

and AM, you know how most of the people do it?  they rely on their credit cards.  (not what we do either)

I don't think that's a fair assumption.

I know many SAHMs who have 2-3 kids in my very high COL area.  They don't rely on their credit cards, and they don't get government assistance.  Almost all of them are in their 30s though, and started their families after they were financially established.

That includes me.  My husband and I were married, worked, and saved for 7 years before we had our first.  I became a SAHM when he was born and I've stayed that way for 6+ years.  I don't have 4-5 kids, just 2, but we could make it work with more kids if we had them (we aren't though) because my husband makes a good salary and we have made decent financial decisions over the years (buying a home low, and selling it high, which enabled us to pay off all our student loans and both car loans, and have some left over).  We aren't rolling in dough, but we don't feel the need to stretch every penny either.  We are comfortable in our own lifestyle, which may seem modest to some and lavish to others.  It's all about perspective.

We are fortunate in our situation, I know that.  But we also planned well to get to this point, and luckily did not hit any major financial speedbumps or layoffs in the meantime.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Old 08-04-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker'smommy View Post

I think COL is so diverse that looking at salaries doesn't give you the really big picture that you would want to see. 

I live in San Diego, California. The COL is extremely high. I know people who make 80k and rent. They can't afford to own a home in this area. And while I balance our checking account, I'd say the biggest thought going through my head is, " We should have way more for what we bring in". And yes, I'm a sahm. But it's at a BIG sacrifice. We go without a LOT so that I can stay home. 

I live in SD also, and rent a house.  It just hasn't made sense for us to buy again in this market.  We can live in a nicer house and neighborhood for less than what it would cost us to buy in the same area, and we don't have to worry about paying for maintenance or additional property taxes.  It's not what we plan on doing long-term, but until we can afford to buy a move-in ready house in the Poway school district, renting suits us just fine!

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Old 08-04-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post

I know many SAHMs who have 2-3 kids in my very high COL area.  They don't rely on their credit cards, and they don't get government assistance.  Almost all of them are in their 30s though, and started their families after they were financially established.

yeah you're right.  that was a generalization. 

but.. too.. i'm in my late (horrors) 30's with advanced degrees and i doubt i'll ever make more than i do now. 

and the credit cards...

i think that while it was unfair to say that was how most people do it, that is how LOTS of americans do maintain their lifestyles.. the average household has 10,700 in debt (source- cnn citing somebody else) .

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Old 08-04-2011, 02:12 PM

I receive $8,640 a year from SSI and SDI (and because of SSI, I do not qualify for food stamps or help).  I live in Los Angeles, CA.  To say I am struggling would be an understatement, especially with all the money that CPS costs me.  Thank god for odd modeling and babysitting jobs.  Otherwise I would probably be living under a bridge somewhere.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

Old 08-04-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post

That includes me.  My husband and I were married, worked, and saved for 7 years before we had our first.  I became a SAHM when he was born and I've stayed that way for 6+ years.  I don't have 4-5 kids, just 2, but we could make it work with more kids if we had them (we aren't though) because my husband makes a good salary and we have made decent financial decisions over the years (buying a home low, and selling it high, which enabled us to pay off all our student loans and both car loans, and have some left over).  We aren't rolling in dough, but we don't feel the need to stretch every penny either.  We are comfortable in our own lifestyle, which may seem modest to some and lavish to others.  It's all about perspective.

We are fortunate in our situation, I know that.  But we also planned well to get to this point, and luckily did not hit any major financial speedbumps or layoffs in the meantime.

I'm not asking what your husband makes, because it's none of my business, but I will point out that the "credit card" comment was in response to wondering how people manage with 4-5 kids, etc. etc. if they're not making $60K-$100K. So, if your dh falls into that 60-100 bracket, then the credit card comment doesn't really apply to you, anyway.

We're not doing as well as we should be, but now that ds1's insanely expensive grad year is over, we should be able to get back on track soon, I hope.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:33 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

And if you're making $60k with both of you working, you're struggling a lot more than if you're making that same amount of money on one salary alone (and one parent staying home), because with both partners working (or in the case of a single parent), you have daycare costs, added transportation and clothing costs, not as much time for somebody to be making food from scratch, etc. 

So it not only matters how much you make, and what your COL is, but also how many people in your family it takes to make that. 

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 08-04-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytchywoman View Post

DH makes over 60k.  I stay home and between health/vision/dental we pay under $100 a month for all 4 of us.  Go science and math degrees from kick ass colleges (which he either got scholarships for or paid for by working 3 jobs).

obstruct livery vehicles

Old 08-04-2011, 02:45 PM

We just made the leap from 'struggling' to comfortable.  Even so, we have to be careful and make good (frugal) choices.  My DH is amazing with money now (it took him a while to 'get it') but we do make tough choices so I am able to be home with the kids. 

Interestingly, the leap from struggling to comfortable wasn't the jump I thought it would be.  It means we are no longer robbing Peter to pay Paul (hmm..  electricity or water this month?) but we still need to stick with a budget to be able to stay on top of things.  We try to save aggressively but right now that's just not happening as we are running two households on one income.  Once we fix that, it will be a little easier, though our grocery budget will jump a lot (groceries here are cheap, they are NOT cheap there...)

Also, we are well into our 30s and have finally 'paid our dues' so to speak. As a result, things are easier now. 

Still- I spent last week metering out the grocery money so it would stretch without raiding savings.  I have a bill that was due about a week ago I can finally go pay today... it's tough, but we've learned not to get behind and to stick with a budget.  

As for COL- HUGE impact.  Our house payment- about $1300.  My parent's house payment- $173.  They make less than we do, but have a lot more breathing room- even with credit card debt. 

Old 08-04-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post

And if you're making $60k with both of you working, you're struggling a lot more than if you're making that same amount of money on one salary alone (and one parent staying home), because with both partners working (or in the case of a single parent), you have daycare costs, added transportation and clothing costs, not as much time for somebody to be making food from scratch, etc. 

So it not only matters how much you make, and what your COL is, but also how many people in your family it takes to make that. 

This is a really good point!  I could add to our income more than I do, but the tradeoff wouldn't be worth it. :/

Old 08-04-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey693 View Post

DH makes over 60k.  I stay home and between health/vision/dental we pay under $100 a month for all 4 of us.  Go science and math degrees from kick ass colleges (which he either got scholarships for or paid for by working 3 jobs).

My great sadness- I have MUCH more education than DH, but I will never come close to earning what he is.  It drives me batty, but he works really hard and he does use his degree.. he just happened into a field in demand that had great pay.  Public health won't pay me that much- even with multiple degrees. 

Old 08-04-2011, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

But, to be fair, some of this COL is by choice. I can imagine that people have made decisions to live in "nice" neighborhoods, with middle class houses and pretty new appliances, ect.

I know the COL is higher some places than others, but I feel like at $60,000 a year living anywhere in a fly over state or in a mid-level COL area, we would not be "struggling." I think its all about priorities.

SIDS happens. 

Old 08-04-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

I'm pretty much resigned to never owning a home, as we can't even afford a one bedroom apartment here, and that wouldn't be close to big enough for our family, even if we could...

Don't rule out ever owning a home, Vancouver is in for one unmerciful huge property crash very shortly.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choli View Post

Don't rule out ever owning a home, Vancouver is in for one unmerciful huge property crash very shortly.

One can only hope!  Until then, we found a decent place in the valley and DH will commute.  Honestly though- the prices in close to the city, let alone IN the city scared me away.  

Old 08-04-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

But, to be fair, some of this COL is by choice. I can imagine that people have made decisions to live in "nice" neighborhoods, with middle class houses and pretty new appliances, ect.

I know the COL is higher some places than others, but I feel like at $60,000 a year living anywhere in a fly over state or in a mid-level COL area, we would not be "struggling." I think its all about priorities.

Possibly, though I'm not as sure as I used to be.  I know we can afford our home only because it's in a weird neighborhood- bridging industrial and residential.  The same house in a picket fence neighborhood would be 2x as much, at least. 

Old 08-04-2011, 05:10 PM

50-75000.

COL counts a lot though - mine is low and I am past the age where I need a lot of childcare for the kiddos. 

MDC is looking economically diverse, perhaps even slightly above the median income,  at this moment in the poll.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:

Choice plays a part, especially if the place is where the jobs are in one's trade.  The time you spend commuting also plays a part for some people (I don't want to spend 4 hours a day commuting to and from my job in the city in order to live in a supposedly cheaper place - it is not worth it to me in terms of family time).  I mean, I've heard people suggest that we pick up  and move to a cheaper place cost-of-living-wise.  It is not always that clear cut, especially if you've established ties and other things that are important to your own life progression.  COL may be higher in more tony neighborhoods, but you would be hard pressed to find a cheap place in the greater metropolitan area where I live that are cheap by midwest standards.  In my own town, cheaper means the difference between a one bedroom and two bedroom apartment.  If you don't have the income level to or the willingness to budget for a two bedroom, you learn to live in tight quarters, which is part of the reason that we have remained in our one bedroom!  

You're right, though, that it boils down to priorities.  Our priority is that we've made a life here for ourselves and we  enjoy the diversity and other things that this high COL place has to offer.  My original point though (in my previous post) was that while the amount of our income seems excessive, the COL cancels out any richness that we may derive from what may be considered high income from the place where I grew up.  Doesn't matter what brand of fridge we have.  There is a direct link between COL and income.  My brother can rent a nice house in WV for $700 per month.  $700 a month here gets you a closet or a multiple roommate situation.  There's just no comparison, and it has little to do with appliances or trimmed hedges, and everything to do with what the market dictates and can handle.  

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choli View Post

It's possible, but I honestly doubt it. A significant factor in our insane housing costs is non-Canadian money. The bubble won't burst, as long as wealthy people from other countries see this as a prime place to live. I could be wrong, but it's not looking great. I think the next correction will be very minor - and nowhere near enough to put a home in our financial reach.

I should have bought back in my early 20s. I wanted to put away a couple more thousand, so that I wouldn't take as much of a hit for having a low down payment. It was a mistake, and sometimes, mistakes cost a lot for a long, long time.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidevoice View Post

One can only hope!  Until then, we found a decent place in the valley and DH will commute.  Honestly though- the prices in close to the city, let alone IN the city scared me away.  

DH is legally blind. I've thought about moving out to the Valley, but I'd have to drive him to and from work every day. Between the wear and tear on our time, energy and nerves, and the increased gas costs (as I'd be going home in between, at least some/most days), I think we'd regret it pretty quickly.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:

I live in a rundown townhouse complex. It's not a slum or anything, but it's far from a "nice" neighbourhood. We just got a new dishwasher, but the one that had broken down was probably 30 years old (not exaggerating), and the new one isn't high end. (It's also not ours, of course - belongs to the property owners.) We have 1250 sq.ft. of total living space, and no yard. There's an apartment complex across the street that does border on being a slum, and another very cheap one kitty corner to us. There's a highway onramp about a half mile away, and we have a big box grocery store and multiple small retail locations within short walking distance. The rest of the neighbourhood is one strip (our block) of small, older houses, a farm (local tourist attraction) and an industrial area, including a chlorine plant, which sometimes stresses me out. We pay just over $1500/month in rent, and are well aware that we're getting an amazingly good deal for where we live.

Yes - it's a choice to live here, but I chose it because it's home, not because it's "nice"...an moving further out is a double-edged sword, because dh would lose his easy access to transit.

I don't know about a smaller family, but $60,000/year (gross) would be pretty tough around here. I don't know if we'd exactly be "struggling", but it would be tough. When I broke up with my ex in 2000, I'd recently received a raise, and was up to $42,000/year. It was just me and ds1. We weren't living in the lap of luxury, yk? (Admittedly, some of that was because I was still recovering from years of financial sabotage, though.) COL here is crazy.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post

Really? You'd be surprised? I would definitely have guessed that was the average household income of most MDC'ers based on past polls/discussions.

I'm definitely surprised, given the poll ratings. I guess it has to do with the fields I chose to go into. Teaching and Social Services don't pay worth a crap, even if you work for the govt. I work 40 hrs a week and I gross at just under $30,000. I suppose if you have someone working in the IT field or Business or Economics then salaries would be much higher. And if you have 2 earners then I guess I can see where it would be over $100,000. I guess I underestimated the number of single income families on here.

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :

User Tag List