what is the difference between - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-07-2011, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
plasma, lcd, and led TVs...

Can someone explain it to me? What are the pros and cons of each? is there one that is better than the others?

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#2 of 10 Old 08-08-2011, 04:23 PM

Here is a helpful explanation of the three: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/37271/lcd-led-plasma-the-how-to-geek-guide-to-hdtv-technology/

treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

#3 of 10 Old 08-08-2011, 05:09 PM

I'm tech-challenged but this is what I think:

Plasmas are of least viewing quality and don't last as long as the others.

The picture on LED's to me look SO FAKE!!! In my opinion it is just too much. I honestly can't stand them. And they're pricey.

We have an LCD and are happy with it. Good picture quality and affordable.

There's my non-expert opinion! winky.gif

#4 of 10 Old 08-08-2011, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Also, I seem to recall reading that plasma TVs use more electricity than LCD.  I have an LCD and it only looks good on digital channels.

Bring back the old MDC
#5 of 10 Old 08-12-2011, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparkly View Post

Here is a helpful explanation of the three: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/37271/lcd-led-plasma-the-how-to-geek-guide-to-hdtv-technology/

oh thank you! this is not even too far over my head!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaboss View Post

The picture on LED's to me look SO FAKE!!! In my opinion it is just too much. I honestly can't stand them. And they're pricey.

thanks! non expert opinions are just as valuable to me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post

Also, I seem to recall reading that plasma TVs use more electricity than LCD.  I have an LCD and it only looks good on digital channels.

now I'm going to look even less tech savvy.. are there channels other than digital? I thought with the changeover there were no more analogue channels? We don't have cable and don't currently get any tv channels- just movies and internet.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

#6 of 10 Old 08-13-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaboss View Post

I agree.  I just really don't like any LED light (headlights, flashlights, televisions).  I mean, I really don't like it.  Plasma just looks like crap (or, like you dropped the TV down the stairs and then tried to watch it, I don't know, it has a "broken" quality to me LOL).  We have an HD LCD and love it.  We've had it for a while, so there's probably some new technology out there, but it still looks great and the HD channels are stunning.  DH refuses to skimp on televisions (and cable offerings).  Poo for our budget, but whatever!

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#7 of 10 Old 08-16-2011, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post

now I'm going to look even less tech savvy.. are there channels other than digital? I thought with the changeover there were no more analogue channels? We don't have cable and don't currently get any tv channels- just movies and internet.

I think maybe she meant to say that it only looks good on HD channels. We have an LDC TV and it's great, but only on HD channels (but isn't that how all HD TVs are, whether they're plasma, LED, or LCD? I thought so, but now I'm not sure). On the non-HD channels, the picture is stretched sideways, which is frustrating when I'm watching channels like OWN, which aren't available in HD, as far as I know (at least not through my cable provider). 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#8 of 10 Old 08-16-2011, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

gotcha.

Now after doing some homework I'm confused to see the consensus that Plasma is the worst viewing quality- all the reviews I have read seem to say that plasma has the highest resolution, the highest contrast ratios, the highest refresh rates, and the best picture. Basically the only downsides were the limited life span and the energy drain, both of which seem to have been corrected in newer models. I guess I will have to go into a store and check them all out. It is just hard to SEE the differences in the stores, with all those tvs and florescent lights.. thats not what my home lighting looks like!

#9 of 10 Old 08-16-2011, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramama View Post

I agree.  I just really don't like any LED light (headlights, flashlights, televisions).  I mean, I really don't like it.  

ITA. I have LED headlights and I can't see anything unless I have the highbeams on. and I hate seeing other LED headlights coming at me on the road. they are just blinding!

#10 of 10 Old 08-17-2011, 10:05 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Plasmas look better in darker areas (like basements.)

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page