what "crunchy" thing do you do that gets the most eyerolls from friends or family? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 08-14-2011, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What do you do that makes your friends think you are off your rocker?

(good heartedly)

I was visiting my sister and my suitcase was open.  She picked up one of my cloth menstrual pads and asked what it was.  I told her.  She dropped it like a hot rock.   scared.gif

I laughed my head off.

Siouxsie likes this.
#2 of 42 Old 08-14-2011, 09:04 AM

We get eye rolls about everything! I guess they mostly think we are NUTS for the way we eat (local, organic, non-processed) and completely trust that a twinky does no harm to a 2 y/o and try to feed her garbage food like that whenever they have the chance. (also gatorade is juice and fruit snacks are just as good as fresh fruit)

Nursing past 6 m/o and still nursing at nearly 2 y/o(with no sign of stopping)...Hey it's free and doesn't impact the environment in the least bit! Totally crunchy! Besides it's good for our DD. I have been literally taunted at the possibility of nursing a 4 y/o they laugh at me and call me names...

They don't know about my mama cloth or my diva cup LOL they would probably go nuts, I hide the FC whenever they are coming over too....they think it's bad enough we CD. hide.gif

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#3 of 42 Old 08-14-2011, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Everything!

You plan on nursing forever?  Don't you feel gross?

Are you really going to nurse if it's a boy?

Homeschooling will make them weird and socially inept.  (jerks, I was homeschooled)

Why do you let them run around barefoot.

This isn't real toothpaste.

Not spanking your kids is ridiculous!  You're just going to spoil them.

Letting them sleep with you is unsafe, and bording on pedophilia. 

#4 of 42 Old 08-14-2011, 11:16 AM

when DS was a baby he was not ever content on the floor, in a swing/bouncer/walker/other contraption, and especially not baby jail (his packnplay and crib) and I wore him or held him nearly constantly which got lots of eyerolls and comments.. it won't hurt him to cry just a little.. you're spoiling him.. etc. guess what, I don't like to hear my baby crying, so if I *can* do something about it, I will...

Delaying solids past 6 months got me lots of eyerolls, and I delayed all grains and cereals past 18 months. even fellow crunchy moms thought that was eye-roll worthy.

nursing past a year too.. a good friend of mine weans at a year no ifs ands or buts, and when our boys were around 14-15 months she was like, I can't even imagine nursing him anymore.. it would feel so creepy! I was like, uhhhh thanks..?

DH won't even accept family cloth.. I haven't even mentioned that to anyone outside the family.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#5 of 42 Old 08-14-2011, 11:29 AM

He, He, He

-"You're still nursing DD (2.5)?"  Yes and I nursed her all through my pregnancy with DS (1 week) and plan on tandem nursing them both!

-Co-sleeping

-Homebirthing both my children (DP's family was extremely worried about this even though we are only like 10 min from the hospital.  My family, however feels that homebirthing is the best way to birth babies)

-Selective Vaxing

-Severely limiting sugar and other junk food intake by DD

-Ohh, the other thing is that I don't feel that DD needs like 100's of toys or a billion similar toys.  Just because she likes the little plastic dog does not mean that she needs 20 more little plastic animals.  She does best with a few cherished toys smile.gif and I prefer toys made out of natural materials and/or homemade (but in an effort to keep the peace I am not strict about this--I just put the toys I don't like away after DD has played with them for a while)

-Also I use cloth pads and a Diva cup--the fam does not know about this, but I am sure if they did they would think it was weird.

Most of the eyerolling/disagreement are from DP's family, mine is pretty crunch already orngtongue.gif

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

#6 of 42 Old 08-14-2011, 11:41 AM

OK I thought you meant "crunchy" like environmentally friendly not like AP stuff?

B/c if you meant AP stuff too then it gets into the holding all the time, not spanking, co-sleeping and all that jazz.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#7 of 42 Old 08-14-2011, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My family surprised me and actually thought the Diva cup was a great idea... I don't know if any of them followed through and tried it, though.

Dh's side of the family is a little perturbed by the way we do a few things... he's the kids step-dad, so none of them were around when the kids were born.His grandmother and I were talking  one day,and the topic was alternative care, and she was saying some of them are good but some don't make sense. She mentioned home birth and I quickly interrupted to say "I did that with my two!" because I could tell she was about to put her foot in it Sheepish.gif She passed the bean dip.

DH's mother is a real believer in spanking, jump when mom says jump, yelling, clean your plate type... and she makes it known that she disapproves of our ways. both his brothers are raising their families the same way. We've got lots of eye rolls and disapproving comments, and trying to step in and 'help' (A.K.A interrupt and talk over me and DS/DD, ordering them to do what I've asked, while we're explaining/negotiating like the co-operative family we are love.gif) Luckily, DH tells them to butt out! I've gotten a lot of "Good for you!"s for cloth diapering and BFing (though the two years thing raised a few eyebrows... my response to that is, "No way am I quitting before the kid wants to, it's the only time I get to sit down!") I'm sure we're going to have some fun times when Blobby (what we call the baby... another thing MIL disapproves of) arrives in December.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#8 of 42 Old 08-14-2011, 04:49 PM

Oh you know, the usual.

Recycling
Composting
Using natural products

But more than anything, our parenting style. Our hormone free meat, and our lack of chemical cleaners. They think we are filthy, dirty hippies.

But, a few years ago I lived in an apartment with a girlfriend of mine and she and I both used Diva cups. We poured our blood into mason jars and stored it into the fridge until the jar was full and then we gave it to the plants. One day our friend who lived in the upstairs apartment was down and I was in the other room when she asked "What is this red stuff? Is it any good?" and I responded, "It's menstrual blood," only to hear her respond with a gasp and walk in to find it all over her clothes because she had dropped it. This girl has dreadlocks down to her butt and Ive never seen her in anything other than huge handmade skirts, scarf head wraps,and ridiculously hippy jewelry. Too crunchy for her.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#9 of 42 Old 08-14-2011, 06:06 PM

Encapsulating and consuming my placenta (twice!) has probably elicited the most bigeyes.gif expressions from the few people who know about it. There's other stuff that they think is silly or crazy, of course...cleaning with vinegar, homebirth, extended breastfeeding, eating strictly organic and whole foods, cosleeping...

...but the placentophagy is the one that really makes 'em squirm. lol.gif

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#10 of 42 Old 08-14-2011, 06:15 PM

Co-sleeping when ds was a baby.

Holding the baby too much.

Our rules about sugar consumption.

For the most part our families are very supportive.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#11 of 42 Old 08-14-2011, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Organic food, can you believe it?  And is unschooling "crunchy"?  They don't quite get that.  Not having the TV on every minute of the day.  No Barbie Dolls.  Believe it or not, wearing or carrying around the baby all day and cosleeping were embraced by all three of us.  No CIO believers, either.  Gee, I wonder if being raised by an emotionally distant mother had anything to do with that?

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#12 of 42 Old 08-14-2011, 09:23 PM

my family is very AP with a touch of crunchy, DF's mom's side is pretty crunchy, DF's dad is mainstream but puts up with it all. so there's not much they take issue with. I did get a few questions about nursing through pregnancy and extended rear-facing, but in a looking for more information, not a disapproving, type of way. I don't talk about the family cloth with people though. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#13 of 42 Old 08-14-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

Oh you know, the usual.

Recycling
Composting
Using natural products

But more than anything, our parenting style. Our hormone free meat, and our lack of chemical cleaners. They think we are filthy, dirty hippies.

But, a few years ago I lived in an apartment with a girlfriend of mine and she and I both used Diva cups. We poured our blood into mason jars and stored it into the fridge until the jar was full and then we gave it to the plants. One day our friend who lived in the upstairs apartment was down and I was in the other room when she asked "What is this red stuff? Is it any good?" and I responded, "It's menstrual blood," only to hear her respond with a gasp and walk in to find it all over her clothes because she had dropped it. This girl has dreadlocks down to her butt and Ive never seen her in anything other than huge handmade skirts, scarf head wraps,and ridiculously hippy jewelry. Too crunchy for her.

Why wouldn't you just empty into the plant directly - what was the purpose of storing it up?  How long did it take you to fill a jar?  I would imagine it might smell really bad after a couple of months.

#14 of 42 Old 08-15-2011, 12:21 AM

Most eye rolls would probably be nursing DS past a year.

Most actual conflict would probably be a toss up between delayed vax'ing and having a home birth.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#15 of 42 Old 08-15-2011, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Since I try my best to ignore eyerolls (it helps me feel more self-confident if I just pretend no one is judging me), I'm just assuming here, but:

cosleeping

BFing past a year (some people maybe even past 6 months)

using non-toxic cleaning products

using cloth wipes for DS

that I'm vegetarian and trying to keep DS veg too until he's old enough to make the choice himself

avoiding sugar (I usually try not to make a point of this when other well-meaning parents offer DS sugary treats. I just silently do not give him any, if possible, and let it go at that.)

and I just started using FC for myself only (and only for pees). I haven't even told DH, although I'm sure I will someday (he never notices anything). Besides him and maybe a couple close friends (maybe) I don't think I'll let that one out of the bag. Not even sure why, but it just seemed like the last frontier. Now that I do it, it's so simple, easy and NOT AT ALL dirty or messy (again, no poos just pee). But I know it's just "too weird". When I first heard of it I was like: WTF!? Only after reading old threads about it here did I realize you could keep it to only pee and it's not a big deal. Anyway besides a few select people, I really wouldn't feel like being the FC ambassador, trying to convince others it's really not gross at all, ya know.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#16 of 42 Old 08-15-2011, 04:57 AM

I use FC for both and it's still not gross...I mean come on I wipe DD's wicked gross squishy breast milk BMs with it LOL We do use actual wipes though (one side flannel, one side black terry) and not t-shirt or something.

IDK I don't think it's gross. Just saying....

I get a lot of eye rolls for handling tantrums compassionately instead of punishing...it's sad really.

People think I'm nuts we don't have a car (well DH has one but he's always at work or school) and we don't have buses here, or sidewalks so I walk miles and miles to get anything done with my 25lb toddler on my back in a wrap or ergo...

#17 of 42 Old 08-15-2011, 10:27 AM

We are still very, very restrictive about food with our 16 month old.  The one that seems to confuse folks the most is that we don't give him juice.

I got a lot of comments about "babywearing" my almost-30 pound toddler ("Isn't it for babies?").  Lots of questions about whether it hurts my back.  Eh, less than trying to wrestle with him or pick him up 10 times in 10 minutes.  I had detractors, too, who said, "He's never going to learn how to walk if you carry him everywhere."  Well, he's pretty hard to catch these days, so the proof's in the pudding.  That Ergo saves my bacon routinely and he gets to walk and run and tumble plenty, believe me!

However, the biggest one with ILs (actually, just MIL as far as I can tell) is that we aren't using sitters (including them).  DH is gone around 60 hours a week...what time we have, we have together.  A forced date just so MIL can get to babysit?  Nope.  She sees him with regularity (minimum 1x/wk.), which I am frequently reminded isn't the same/good enough/similar to what SIL & BIL did/not as much as her friends get to see their grandkids/whatever.  Well, it is for us!  I know as DS2 gets old enough to express his preferences in regards to that, we will have to see, but 'til then, status quo.

This thread has inspired me to use FC for #1.  I think. 

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#18 of 42 Old 08-15-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peainthepod View Post

Encapsulating and consuming my placenta (twice!) has probably elicited the most bigeyes.gif expressions from the few people who know about it. There's other stuff that they think is silly or crazy, of course...cleaning with vinegar, homebirth, extended breastfeeding, eating strictly organic and whole foods, cosleeping...

...but the placentophagy is the one that really makes 'em squirm. lol.gif

Wow, this would be a great word for a trivia game!  yummy.gif

I think people think it's pretty odd that we try to be more self-reliant producers, as opposed to consumers - making mayo, hummus, dish and laundry detergent, all manner of things.  I try to ask, if there's something on a to-buy list, if we really need to buy it or if we can do it ourselves.

Also my younger DD and I are obsessed with our compost and our red wigglers.  We dig stuff up and look at it, checking out the worms, and marveling at what happened to the corn cob we put in just last week.  This is a little gross, but super fun, and I think qualifies as crunchy?

Mama to 2 mopheaded rascals
#19 of 42 Old 08-15-2011, 03:22 PM

True story, definitely more crunchy than AP related:

We went swimming at a busy pool.  My daughter accidentally left the shampoo bar on the bench.  It was blue and looks like this:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=picture+of+lush+shampoo+bars&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Everyone in the locker room was keeping a wide berth of it as they thought it was a urinal cake!

#20 of 42 Old 08-15-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

True story, definitely more crunchy than AP related:

We went swimming at a busy pool.  My daughter accidentally left the shampoo bar on the bench.  It was blue and looks like this:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=picture+of+lush+shampoo+bars&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Everyone in the locker room was keeping a wide berth of it as they thought it was a urinal cake!

LOL!!

Strangely, the thing that people seem to think is weirdest is that we buy everything used (thrift store, side of the road, etc.) I don't really see what's so weird about that, but whatever. Good thing that they don't know we use family cloth... or that DS is still nursing...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#21 of 42 Old 08-15-2011, 08:37 PM

I have gotten some eyerolls/surprise about DD not drinking juice. she recently started having the occasional, really watered down, cup of juice a month or so ago. (she's 27 months)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedenmomma View Post

This thread has inspired me to use FC for #1.  I think. 

do it! do it! do it! smile.gif since I'm still diapering it has been super easy, just toss in the diaper pail, which lives in the bathroom anyway, a little extra sorting when the diapers come out of the wash. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#22 of 42 Old 08-16-2011, 03:47 AM

The only juice my kids getting is freshly juiced juice, period. It's pointless for her tough b/c all she wants to eat are veggies and fruits.

Juice is nothing more than sugar when your body breaks it down, even organic juice, as long as you can see through it. (not cloudy with fiber etc)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the juice thing to me to tell you the truth!

We are totally not letting anyone babysit! I have a close friend who I trust and IDK that may be it...I can not imagine anyone in my family being able to handle a tantrum at all. I would be too afraid she would get hit or abandoned. Yes they are all that nuts...

Maybe....leaning more towards no...but maybe when she's much older...

#23 of 42 Old 08-16-2011, 07:24 AM

Maybe not exactly a "crunchy" thing, but...

Our families just can't wrap their heads around our kids being TV-free.

What kind of kids don't watch TV? You're gonna make them weird! rolleyes.gif

#24 of 42 Old 08-16-2011, 07:58 AM

talking or facebook posting about eating a placenta is a jaw dropping conversation stopper in our neck of the woods.  ;)

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#25 of 42 Old 08-16-2011, 10:36 AM

I haven't owned a t.v. since DS1 was three (around 1999) and we have no plans to have one around for DS2.  DS1 has unlimited t.v./videos/everything/etc. at xh's, so he has avoided any stigma of being outside of popular culture.  I do wonder how not having t.v. will impact DS2 when he hits public school.  We do plan to allow the occasional video on our computer, but other than that, his influences in regards to t.v.-stuff will be limited to what he sees when he is at friend's houses or IL's (though we don't leave him there alone with them, the t.v. is usually on when we visit).

MIL knows we don't have t.v. or let DS2 watch videos (he's 16 months) and she still asks what his favorite shows are and kind of worries that he doesn't know who Elmo is.  She will hold up toys from shows and say "Oh, you know who this is!"  Uh, no, he doesn't, but he has memorized the cadence of plenty of board books, let me tell you!

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#26 of 42 Old 08-16-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogautumn View Post

What kind of kids don't watch TV? You're gonna make them weird! rolleyes.gif

I would be really, really tempted to pop off with something like:  "Gosh, he's my son.  He's already weird...runs in the family."  Kind of a joke, kind of not.

#27 of 42 Old 08-16-2011, 11:01 AM

greensad.gif Now the mom guilt kicks in. I *wanted* to be TV free but DH wouldn't let me and well DD is intense as heck and watches TV. It was very limited but now she has tantrums for Blue's Clues....I do only let her watch select PBS shows and Blue's Clues if that counts for anything LOL

#28 of 42 Old 08-16-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swede View Post

Why wouldn't you just empty into the plant directly - what was the purpose of storing it up?  How long did it take you to fill a jar?  I would imagine it might smell really bad after a couple of months.

It took all year to fill a jar. I did it for three years (produced three jars, but one got dropped) and it never smelled any different than when it first came out of my body. We lived on the third floor of an apartment building and didnt really have any house plants. We poured it on our garden, so thats why we didnt empty it each time.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#29 of 42 Old 08-16-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

greensad.gif Now the mom guilt kicks in. I *wanted* to be TV free but DH wouldn't let me and well DD is intense as heck and watches TV. It was very limited but now she has tantrums for Blue's Clues....I do only let her watch select PBS shows and Blue's Clues if that counts for anything LOL

Aww, sorry. I didn't mean to incite any guilt!

Usually I just blame it on the school--"Sorry, it's the school's rule!" (he goes to Waldorf kindy).

#30 of 42 Old 08-16-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

You can unhook your guilt, mama!  If I was any kind of good at limiting t.v. time and had access to free PBS, I'd allow some.  I was terrible at limiting (even good) t.v. with DS1 and had to do an all-or-nothing approach.  There really are very good shows out there and really good families with t.v.  I never judge families who have t.v.  I do, however, think permitting unlimited amounts of t.v. or viewing clearly inappropriate shows is a mistake.  I will also say that our "no t.v." thing would fly very quickly out the window if I had two small children.  For me, it's do-able since I only have one little kiddo.  There is a 15 year age difference between my children.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page