Did you know TAO is no longer semi-private, and how do you feel about that? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How do you feel about TAO being a fully public forum?
Doesn't bother me at all 21 31.82%
I don't like it 45 68.18%
Other (please explain below) 0 0%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 08-15-2011, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Note for mods: I didn't put this in the Q&S forum as I wanted to know how other folks who regularly post here feel about it, as this issue pertains to this forum specifically. I know many of us do not go to the Q&S forum so this seems like the best place to ask this question.

I recently noticed some new members (people with less than 50 posts) posting here and went to the Questions forum to learn that indeed TAO is no longer the semi-private forum it used to be. Anyone and everyone can post here and read here. I don't necessarily have a problem with new members posting here, but I myself am not pleased that this forum can now come up on google searches and everything we say here can be read by the entire www. I liked being able to say things here I might not want, say, my in-laws or coworkers to be able to find, should they be internet-stalking me.

I am curious if other regular posters to this forum a.) knew about this change and b.) mind that this has happened. Supposedly there was an announcement, but I for one never saw it. Did anyone else?

I kinda wish we had been asked about this. I did ask in the thread on Q&S why this decision was made, and as of yet there's no response. Can anyone tell me? IMO the "amongst ourselves" title of this forum conveys the purpose of it: a place where we can chat amongst other regular MDC members without the entire www able to read what we say here. I do realize of course that anyone and everyone can eventually reach a semi-private forum and what we say here is still public. But I also know that, for example, my SIL is not about to join MDC and make 50 posts and wait 6 months just to find me here, kwim?

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#2 of 26 Old 08-15-2011, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I never saw the announcement, but I eventually found out somehow. Ironically, I only discovered that TAO was semi-private a few months ago anyway, so it wasn't a big deal to me. I try to keep anonymous anyway (no way of knowing how successful I am at that, but I try!) and never posted anything here that I wouldn't post elsewhere. Also, a lot of threads here get moved to other forums so even if you posted here, it could suddenly end up somewhere else instead & become searchable.

So that's my long-winded way of saying I really don't care... though it would have been nice if I'd seen the announcement...
*bejeweled* likes this.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#3 of 26 Old 08-15-2011, 06:45 AM

shrug.gif meh I really don't care. 

I treat all of MDC as a public forum even if there are "semi-private" forums/boards.  Just another reason to be careful about what you write & put out there into internet.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#4 of 26 Old 08-15-2011, 07:39 AM

50 posts is almost nothing.  So easy to get.  I don't think it makes much difference.  

#5 of 26 Old 08-15-2011, 07:45 AM

Wait -there was a 6 month wait time?  That make a little difference.  I thought it was only 50 posts.

Still, there are those among us that cut and paste threads to separates sites (trolls).  They have more than 50 posts and have been here longer than 6 months. Even if SIL couldn't see your posts here for 6 months, if you say something extra-interesting it might be cut and paste and put somewhere else and she may be able to find it.

Assume all is findable and post accordingly. 

#6 of 26 Old 08-15-2011, 09:51 AM

I didn't know about the change.

It doesn't really bother me.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#7 of 26 Old 08-15-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post

I treat all of MDC as a public forum even if there are "semi-private" forums/boards.  Just another reason to be careful about what you write & put out there into internet.

Yup.  I missed the announcement, but it doesn't bother me.  50 posts/60 days doesn't make anyone that much less of a stranger on the Internet, anyhow.  Plus, there is the whole C&P thing computers are capable of.

I'm sure it's an effort to increase traffic.  Many have complained about how slow it is lately, specifically TAO.

PAP and a few other sub-forums are still semi-private. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#8 of 26 Old 08-15-2011, 10:08 AM

totally not a big deal.

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

#9 of 26 Old 08-15-2011, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Just another on a long list of things that MDC didn't do a good job of announcing.

CrazyCatLady and terrordactyl like this.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#10 of 26 Old 08-15-2011, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't post anything on this board (all of MDC) that I wouldn't want read by someone.  However, I've seen it written numerous times, "I'm posting here (TAO) because it's private/unsearchable, etc." and to make a previously private board searchable...well, I do take issue with that.  Does that mean PaP could or would eventually become public?  I'm sure it would be argued it won't be public, but can that really be trusted?  Clearly not.  

The board owners/decision makers made people feel comfortable by giving them a safety net (privacy) and then they have arbitrarily decided to remove that safety net when it suits their needs.  It's misleading and disappointing.

(I had to change my pronoun usage.  I was confusing myself.)

#11 of 26 Old 08-15-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulvah View Post

I don't post anything on this board (all of MDC) that I wouldn't want read by someone.  However, I've seen it written numerous times, "I'm posting here (TAO) because it's private/unsearchable, etc." and to make a previously private board searchable...well, I do take issue with that.  Does that mean PaP could or would eventually become public?  I'm sure it would be argued it won't be public, but can that really be trusted?  Clearly not.  

The board owners/decision makers made people feel comfortable by giving them a safety net (privacy) and then they have arbitrarily decided to remove that safety net when it suits their needs.  It's misleading and disappointing.

ITA.

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

#12 of 26 Old 08-15-2011, 09:22 PM

Didn't know about it. I'm not surprised.

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#13 of 26 Old 08-16-2011, 02:48 AM

Quote:

Yeah, this.

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#14 of 26 Old 08-16-2011, 05:32 AM

I do wonder if stuff we said here, say 6 months ago, is now public...or if it just public since the switch over date?

I wouldn't be too happy if older stuff is now public.  It is one thing to say from this day forward all posts are public (and yes, they should have told us) - it is another to make all old posts suddenly public.  The rules that applied when someone wrote the post should be upheld.

#15 of 26 Old 08-16-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

I do wonder if stuff we said here, say 6 months ago, is now public...or if it just public since the switch over date?

I wouldn't be too happy if older stuff is now public.  It is one thing to say from this day forward all posts are public (and yes, they should have told us) - it is another to make all old posts suddenly public.  The rules that applied when someone wrote the post should be upheld.

The whole TAO forum, including all old posts, are now public.

#16 of 26 Old 08-16-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasciate View Post

The whole TAO forum, including all old posts, are now public.

irked.gif

I would change my vote if i could.

#17 of 26 Old 08-16-2011, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:

The change doesn't bother me personally because I haven't posted sensitive information, but this is a really good point -- I've seen people preface a post by saying that they chose TAO specifically for its semi-private nature too, and it's too bad that their posts are now so much more easily searchable. 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#18 of 26 Old 08-17-2011, 11:35 AM

I don't know if it was changed back, but I couldn't see TAO this morning until I actually logged in. 

#19 of 26 Old 08-17-2011, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatojade View Post

I don't know if it was changed back, but I couldn't see TAO this morning until I actually logged in. 

So I just checked in the thread on Q&S, and Cynthia Mosher said that they had meant to change the conditions for posting in TAO to MDC members only, but no longer 50 posts and 6 months membership. She accidentally made it public in that move, and has since changed it back to members only....but any members can post, no more post count or waiting time. She said google searches cannot access it either.

I do appreciate that search engines will not find our posts here, so I guess it's still kinda sorta private....but let's be real: it takes less than one minute to set up a new account here, so pretty much anyone can come here. I would call that more like semi-public.

I guess we all need to just remember that what we say here is accessible to nearly everyone, and not say anything here we wouldn't want published openly on the web for all to read. A good reminder.

Still, woulda been nice to inform folks of these changes...

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#20 of 26 Old 08-17-2011, 04:56 PM

I don't like it.

I normally don't care at all about things like these- the posts on facebook, the google searches, etc.. but yes, talk amongst OURSELVES seems like it should be MORE private, not less. Especially with the known trolls taking over the boards. We need some place to go. I always thought 50 posts/60 days wasn't ENOUGH privacy. Should be 250 at least.. just my two cents.

ETA: was it 60 days or 6 months?

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#21 of 26 Old 08-17-2011, 05:39 PM

I voted that I don't care because IMO nothing on the internet is private. Some may be yes but I always err on the side of caution and assume it is not.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#22 of 26 Old 08-17-2011, 08:34 PM

I personally like having a little area that I know is private on MDC.  Of course, I know it's the web and it doesn't take much to find stuff but it makes me feel safer.  I think what really bothers me is that there is no big announcements at the top of the forum. 

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#23 of 26 Old 08-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)

Hi everyone hola.gif

I posted to this thread in Q&S several days ago but forgot to post about it here. Just thought you'd want to know. redface.gif

#24 of 26 Old 08-22-2011, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm one of those who didn't even know it had been private to begin with.   I keep myself pretty anonymous on MDC.   So I guess I don't care that it's no longer private.

Edited to add, Aha!  Thank you for the explanation, Cynthia. 

Quote:
The forum has been called Talk Amongst Ourselves since it was opened back in 1999-2000 and was never private or restricted until this past year when we restricted it to a specific member group. It is still restricted to MDC members so it is "talking amongst ourselves" and visitors cannot read the forum.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#25 of 26 Old 08-25-2011, 09:30 AM

I found out a few weeks ago when someone who pissed me off in another forum posted a response to my thread in TAO. She/he had 5 posts. I was irritated because I felt like I was specifically putting the thread in TAO because I wanted responses from people who have spent time on this board, not someone who was pissy about a two year old thread that they found through google.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#26 of 26 Old 08-25-2011, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

I found out a few weeks ago when someone who pissed me off in another forum posted a response to my thread in TAO. She/he had 5 posts. I was irritated because I felt like I was specifically putting the thread in TAO because I wanted responses from people who have spent time on this board, not someone who was pissy about a two year old thread that they found through google.

I'm not questioning the reality of that scenario, but it boggles the mind that people do that.  I am sure I've gotten into disagreements (arguments, even) with people on this forum, but I couldn't even tell you their names.  I'm probably the type that ends up fighting with them in one thread whilst simultaneously agreeing with them in another.  Life is too short.  shrug.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page