10 large pink erasers? What does a second grade class need with 250 pink erasers? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-24-2011, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In Ireland, growing up and now, at the end of a school year, you get handed a list of text books you need to purchase for the following year. The only things supplied were certain thingsin high school (ie, you don't buy your own easel, sewing machine or bunsen burner). Everything else, you supply. And yes, I'm dating myself with my examples!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

ETA: My sister has four kids in public school this year....one in high school, and three in elementary (we don't have middle school here at all). Even with leftover stuff, she's paying close to $150 in school supplies, plus some extra fees for her high schooler.

Well, yeah, I listed $20 as a 'generous' example in my post above.  But I actually paid almost $50 for 7th grade son.  I was a little embarrassed at how much I paid as the other mamas here seem to have spent less.

bag.gif lol.gif

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

No update yet -- I won't have a chance to ask until next week. The school's been closed for construction all summer (they replaced all the plumbing, which is a good thing, given the age of the school). Monday they're open again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post

In Ireland, growing up and now, at the end of a school year, you get handed a list of text books you need to purchase for the following year. The only things supplied were certain thingsin high school (ie, you don't buy your own easel, sewing machine or bunsen burner). Everything else, you supply. And yes, I'm dating myself with my examples!

Hey - at least you didn't have to buy a slide rule! (OK, I didn't either, but my older sisters did.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattemma04 View Post

Looks like you are paying for the *schools* supplies instead of them buying their own! I can understand buying for your kid,but not for the entire school. Around here ps teachers make 40k to 60k.The superintendent just got a 2k raise topping him off at 97k. We are a family of 4 living off of less than 30k and we pay for private school PLUS supplies PLUS gym fees.I think the schools can afford to buy some extra supplies themselves.

Private schools don't have to provide free/reduced lunch to 80% of the students (yes, that's the proportion of free/reduced lunch at our school), ESL services, special education services, special education aides for students who require them, buses, etc. etc. ..... Really, it's a choice between the $25-$40 per student for supplies or a teacher's aide for a special ed student.  Last year, my daughter stopped getting homework for math because they didn't have enough paper to photocopy on! I'm OK buying a couple of boxes of kleenex for the school. (And FWIW, I'm a college professor and I have to buy my own kleenex too -- the university stopped providing it for us in the last budget crisis (not this one, the one before). And I do need kleenex for the 2-3 times a term someone ends up sobbing in my office. Either I'm too tough (making them sob), or too soft (allowing them to show their emotions).)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

I just did a quick calculation on the money we spent this year on supplies (including sending last year's markers, colored pencils, scissors, and crayons; buying the rest at the cheapest possibly place for appropriate quality supplies) would total $50,000 for my kids' school.  Even assuming the school could get a better discount buying in bulk, which staff member of the school should be laid off to pay for it?

yeahthat.gif

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
Old 08-24-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post

I have to wonder how many of the kids whose families "can't afford" school supplies really have parents who simply can't be bothered to provide them or have other priorities for spending their money.  After seeing how some of the low-income famiies around here don't provide for their childrens' very basic school needs, I really wonder.  They truly don't have much money, but when they have cable TV or cigarettes are bought while they say they can't afford school stuff, that doesn't give them much credibility in my eyes.  Which isn't to say that it stinks any less for the children of those parents to be shorted on stuff the other kids have.

I have not seen this to be the case.  Yes, I do know low income folks.  Some low income folks are more likely to buy cheaper stuff or alter the list slightly but I do blame them.  FWIW the children I have seen who lack supplies or do not have  their basic needs met often come from "frazzled" as opposed to "poor" families.  Of course, frazzled and poor can go together, but I have seen frazzled and middle or upper class, too.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

The discussion about the "school's supplies" is interesting to me. I can remember going shopping for paints, crayons, pencils, rulers, notebooks, etc. when I was in elementary school. That was the early 1970s. While some things about the process have changed (eg. no supplies were pooled back then), I've never heard of a school providing those things. Was that usual practice at some point, in some school districts?

I was thinking about this thread yesterday. I went over to the big box grocery (mostly) store near my house, and they have bins of school supplies everywhere. I suddenly realized that this is the first time since 1999 that I don't have to buy back to school supplies. What a weird feeling!

Actually we were talking about school supplies (more about the parents who get their kids the 180 pack of crayons instead of the 24 pack) with my parents and aunts and uncles and they remember bringing in school supplies back in what would have been around 1950. I had to bring in school supplies in the early 1980s. Both sets of my grandparents had 9 and 10 kids. Can you imagine that back to school shopping trip?

As much as every single one of us remember feeling inferior when we sat there with the requested 8-24 count set of crayons while the girl/boy across the isle broke out their mammoth box of crayons every single one of us gets our kids the size requested not the fancier box. My Dad's family said that they had one teacher who would pick out the requested crayons and send the rest of the box home with the child. They said they loved that as it discouraged the giant box or fancy sets and they didn't have to look at that giant box compared to their small one every time they colored.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
Old 08-24-2011, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Oh the fancy set.  I so wanted that when I was in school.  Discouraging the big box is a good idea.  It's not needed.  I actually sent my 1st grader a few years ago with all her left overs from Kinder and was asked by her teacher if we couldn't afford school supplies.  Everything she had plus a few needed to buy items (she broke her ruler digging for potato bugs over summer) were usable.  I was told it makes the kids feel bad if they don't have new things.  Fine... 30 bucks later...  they actually asked for two composition books this year that cost over 3 dollars.  And schools supplies went up this year.  Normally walmart has 24 packs for 24cents.  This year they were 70.  Folders went up as well.  I pay attention.  I still have the receipt from last year.  Crazy. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGG View Post

Actually we were talking about school supplies (more about the parents who get their kids the 180 pack of crayons instead of the 24 pack) with my parents and aunts and uncles and they remember bringing in school supplies back in what would have been around 1950. I had to bring in school supplies in the early 1980s. Both sets of my grandparents had 9 and 10 kids. Can you imagine that back to school shopping trip?

As much as every single one of us remember feeling inferior when we sat there with the requested 8-24 count set of crayons while the girl/boy across the isle broke out their mammoth box of crayons every single one of us gets our kids the size requested not the fancier box. My Dad's family said that they had one teacher who would pick out the requested crayons and send the rest of the box home with the child. They said they loved that as it discouraged the giant box or fancy sets and they didn't have to look at that giant box compared to their small one every time they colored.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyGG View Post

My Dad's family said that they had one teacher who would pick out the requested crayons and send the rest of the box home with the child. They said they loved that as it discouraged the giant box or fancy sets and they didn't have to look at that giant box compared to their small one every time they colored.

Sounds like my kinda teacher!   Bet she was a curmudgeon when she got old.

I got the Big Box of Crayola crayons for Christmas once. The one with the sharpener in it.  I was over-the-moon happy. 

Old 08-24-2011, 08:02 PM

Irishmommy, your list is way shorter and less specific than the lists I get.  There's also no "requested not required" disclaimer.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

Sounds like my kinda teacher!   Bet she was a curmudgeon when she got old.

I got the Big Box of Crayola crayons for Christmas once. The one with the sharpener in it.  I was over-the-moon happy. 

I never had one of those for school (don't remember being envious of the few kids who did, but it was a long time ago). But, my grandmother had one at her house for when we spent the night. It was such an amazing treat to be able to use the big box and sharpen my crayons.

Funny...my kids have so much more of that kind of thing than I had. I'm not sure I've done them any favours. They don't get the same kick I did, yk?

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 08-24-2011, 08:48 PM

Much to my disappointment I wasn't allowed to take the big box to school.  Smart mom. 

Old 08-25-2011, 09:49 AM

i heard on the radio that the folks at The Inn of the Good Shepherd (charity) were giving out backpacks with supplies to kids in need and that made me think of this thread :)

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

Old 08-25-2011, 10:51 AM

I just learned that the local hospital is handing out 'back to school gear bags' at the fair this year. 

Obviously, I'm sure they won't be everything but it's a nice start! They are planning to distribute 1000 of these bags, and there are only about 1000 kids in the district. I'll look forward to hearing what's in these bags.  It's certainly a nice gesture, even if it is self-serving- they just opened a children's clinic and this is mostly about raising awareness of that. :)

Old 08-25-2011, 10:53 AM

I just saw backpacks at Old Navy for $5.  I may get one for my son as a back up in case his current bag breaks.  

My sons class list isn't huge but there is at least one thing that is a bit odd.  The teachers wants EVERYONE to bring in a 3 hole punch (the kind that goes into a 3 ring binder.)  

She did say that all supplies will be pooled.

She also said that if anyone is having a hard time affording the items to contact her.  Even if I couldn't afford them, I would be embarrassed to out myself to the teacher as being poor.  bag.gif

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 08-25-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

Oh the fancy set.  I so wanted that when I was in school.  Discouraging the big box is a good idea.  It's not needed.  I actually sent my 1st grader a few years ago with all her left overs from Kinder and was asked by her teacher if we couldn't afford school supplies.  Everything she had plus a few needed to buy items (she broke her ruler digging for potato bugs over summer) were usable.  I was told it makes the kids feel bad if they don't have new things.  Fine... 30 bucks later...  they actually asked for two composition books this year that cost over 3 dollars.  And schools supplies went up this year.  Normally walmart has 24 packs for 24cents.  This year they were 70.  Folders went up as well.  I pay attention.  I still have the receipt from last year.  Crazy. 

I found the same thing. I eventually did get them for $.25 at KMart on a weekly sale. Our Walmart did go down as low as $.40 but no lower on the crayons. But yeah, everything was more expensive this year than last.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
Old 08-25-2011, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

We have a "Stuff the Bus" program at our local grocery store. We live in a rural area so almost all students are bussed to school. The bus has been in the store parking lot and people are gradually filling it up with backpacks and school supplies.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantimama View Post

We have a "Stuff the Bus" program at our local grocery store. We live in a rural area so almost all students are bussed to school. The bus has been in the store parking lot and people are gradually filling it up with backpacks and school supplies.

that is a beautiful idea.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Old 08-25-2011, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post

She did say that all supplies will be pooled.

So, in theory I have no problem with this, but I have to admit I was a little dismayed to see what my DS came home with at the end of the year. I bought Crayola crayons, Fiskar scissors, etc. -- the good stuff that works well, you know? And he came home with RoseArt crayons (which don't work worth a damn, IMO) and off-brand scissors. And the teacher wrote his name on the scissors, so if I send them in this year I guess they'll be assigned to him again. 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 08-25-2011, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

What about using a Sharpie to label things like scissors before sending them to school so you can be sure the ones you want to have come home in June will instead of someone else's?

Old 08-25-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantimama View Post

What about using a Sharpie to label things like scissors before sending them to school so you can be sure the ones you want to have come home in June will instead of someone else's?

I thought about doing that, but somehow it feels sort of rude. Which is weird, because if I send in the crappy ones he brought home last year I'm sending in a labelled product anyway. I don't know -- I guess I'm just mostly on board with the pooling-resources thing, but I do see some drawbacks as well. I should probably just be happy that we're in a position where if it really bothers me that much I can just run out and buy a new pair of Fiskars. 

Old 08-25-2011, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I put names on the scissors and rulers. The rest is not a big deal to me. I guess if they have to pool it they have to pool it. Though last year, my kids came out half year and got all their supplies back. I wonder if it would be better to send out an assigned list like they do with parties and ask one parent to bring in 40 boxes of crayons. And if they were still .25cents then that would be 10 bucks. That's 20 less than I spent on all the supplies per kid. Maybe break it up and say 20 crayon boxes and 10 note books... But then some parents may not like that either.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:53 PM

wow 10 erasers

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

Old 08-26-2011, 08:20 AM

Growing up in a rural town we had to supply all our own paper, pencils etc.  So being handed a list for school supplies does not bother me at all.  My DS is in 4th grade and when we were picking out erasers last week he grabbed extra big ones.  He said he always runs out and wanted more on hand.  

Our present school system does not begin asking for supplies until 4th grade.  For K-3 the teachers send home notes for items they need and ask for donations from any parent who can.  Tissues, clorox wipes etc.

I understand pooling the resources, though when your child spends time picking out a certain color folder or pencil they get upset when it is pooled and they do not get the one they picked out.  We have not always been informed the items will be pooled.  

The only thing that bothered me was that in my DS's old school we were given a huge list of items and it included things like binders, scissors and other re-useable items.  And we would be asked for the same items again the following year.  The scissors were never sent home with the ids at the end of the year.  I always wondered what in the world the school did with all those scissors :)

Old 08-26-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

I wonder if it would be better to send out an assigned list like they do with parties and ask one parent to bring in 40 boxes of crayons. And if they were still .25cents then that would be 10 bucks. That's 20 less than I spent on all the supplies per kid. Maybe break it up and say 20 crayon boxes and 10 note books... But then some parents may not like that either.

That's actually a good idea, IMO. Then at least all the kids' supplies would be the same, which can be pretty important to them, especially at the younger ages. 

Old 08-26-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

That's actually a good idea, IMO. Then at least all the kids' supplies would be the same, which can be pretty important to them, especially at the younger ages. 

But then parents are going to be complaining that they have to buy 20 pairs of scissors while someone else only has to buy 20 erasers which are much cheaper. Or they will complain that their child has to use RoseArt crayons because the parent that bought the crayons was too cheap to get Crayolas. At least asking each kid for an identical list makes it seem outwardly 'fair'... I've never heard of pooling supplies though. When I was a kid, we just each used what we brought. It taught us to take care of our stuff, because there wasn't a supply closet filled with extras if we were careless.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif

User Tag List