10 large pink erasers? What does a second grade class need with 250 pink erasers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 144 Old 08-15-2011, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, dd's school supply list included: "10 large pink erasers". (And they're not the pencil top kind, they're the big ones.) Assuming this isn't a typo, any ideas on what a 2nd grade class is going to do with 10 large pink erasers per kid? I'm stumped.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#2 of 144 Old 08-15-2011, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

That does seem like a ton. Maybe the classes are pooling resources or something? Like one class is getting all the erasers, another class is getting all the pencils, etc.? That seems like a strange way to do it though...

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#3 of 144 Old 08-15-2011, 04:04 PM

Hmm maybe they will use wire or toothpicks or something to make them into little eraser people??

I really have no clue, that's odd.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#4 of 144 Old 08-15-2011, 05:52 PM

On our list for 3rd grade - FIVE boxes of erasers. I had the same reaction...
#5 of 144 Old 08-15-2011, 05:55 PM

Is it possible that there are a large number of children in the class who cannot afford school supplies? Maybe they've guessed how many kids they expect to bring in supplies, and went from there?

#6 of 144 Old 08-15-2011, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Yes, this is the new way schools acquire supplies for the non-financially-blessed.  They ask for ridiculous amounts of each item, in the hopes that just one or two families will send the requested amount.  Then the kids who didn't bring anything in will have school supplies, because supplies are now pooled.

And every year, I tell the teacher that I don't believe in communism.  I send in enough for my ds and he keeps his stuff to himself. 

Now, before the flames start shooting toward my head, I volunteer massive quantities of my time each year and would have zero objection to complying with a straight forward request for donations.  For example, I always send in non-perishable items for food drives.  I am far from selfish.  But I can't help but get pissed off when they try to trick people in to donating. 

mcbuzz and miss_honeyb like this.

Bring back the old MDC
#7 of 144 Old 08-15-2011, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Well, the request was for all of the 2nd grades, so it's not like one class is bringing in erasers and another crayons.

We do have a large number of very poor children in our school, and they do pool supplies up through 2nd grade (after that they use their own), but the pooling of supplies is more a logistical because they sit at tables and not desks. So, we've been asked to bring in 1 ruler, 2 boxes of 24 crayons, 48 pencils, 2 boxes of Kleenex, 1 box of colored pencils. The school gets a lot of donations of school supplies, and I've never felt like been asked to provide school supplies for the whole class. That's why the 10 erasers has me stumped. If all 98 2nd graders bring 10 erasers, they're going to have 980 erasers!

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#8 of 144 Old 08-15-2011, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)

If half the kids bring in the erasers, then that's 5 per child for the year. 1 eraser for every 2 months.

A lot of those erasers are going to end torn up, scribbled on, lost, with pencils stabbing them, etc.

It seems pretty reasonable to me.

They aren't asking for near enough Kleenex. I'd expect to be sending more in later.

(I am so thankful to be one of the moms who buys extra supplies rather than one of the moms who can't get her children what they need for school, who is just trying to figure out how to pay for shoes)

Owen'nZoe, DaughterOfKali and MJB like this.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#9 of 144 Old 08-15-2011, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I always send extra supplies at the start of the school year because they usually can be had for a great price and because the little extra that it cost me is well worth it so that some child in one of my daughter's classes doesn't have to feel bad or different because their family couldn't afford to buy the needed school supplies.
#10 of 144 Old 08-15-2011, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post

Yes, this is the new way schools acquire supplies for the non-financially-blessed.  They ask for ridiculous amounts of each item, in the hopes that just one or two families will send the requested amount.  Then the kids who didn't bring anything in will have school supplies, because supplies are now pooled.

And every year, I tell the teacher that I don't believe in communism.  I send in enough for my ds and he keeps his stuff to himself. 

Now, before the flames start shooting toward my head, I volunteer massive quantities of my time each year and would have zero objection to complying with a straight forward request for donations.  For example, I always send in non-perishable items for food drives.  I am far from selfish.  But I can't help but get pissed off when they try to trick people in to donating. 

While I am absolutely positive that your volunteer time is greatly appreciated by the teachers I would guess that the extra $.20 pink eraser is even more appreciated by the kid whose parents couldn't afford to buy it.
Owen'nZoe and Dena like this.
#11 of 144 Old 08-15-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post

While I am absolutely positive that your volunteer time is greatly appreciated by the teachers I would guess that the extra $.20 pink eraser is even more appreciated by the kid whose parents couldn't afford to buy it.

I really hate the thought of the teachers paying for all the little stuff. I think that's what ends up happening half the time when the kids can't bring in what they need.
 My kids have been so blessed with wonderful teachers, and any little thing I can do or send in to make it easier for them is fine by me.

Good teachers work their butts off, and don't get paid near enough for it.

Dena, abiyhayil and jillromine like this.

#12 of 144 Old 08-16-2011, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My daughters class asked for two erasers each. If they run out they send note. Teachers rarely buy extras.

Not to hi-jack.....but I never understood when people say teachers aren't paid enough.....$75,000 a year, 10 weeks off in summer, 2 weeks at Christmas, one in March....it seems like a pretty good wage to mean. (I am not saying they don't work hard I just never understood the comments about salary......)

#13 of 144 Old 08-16-2011, 06:12 AM

They break them.  They stab pencils into them and use them as little hammers  I am sure they do other creative things I am not thinking off.  

The rest of the list is a little conservative (except the 48 pencils)  - so it is a little odd.

My money would be on she had real issues with kids having enough pencils and erasers in the past and is making sure it does not happen this year.

You can also do a printmaking activity with erasers and I have seen classes do it.

#14 of 144 Old 08-16-2011, 06:12 AM

momtoS:  Careful, careful.  Public school teacher piping in here...16 years of experience and I barely make $40 a year.  I am NOT complaining...I love teaching, but $75 a year?  Not in my state, not in my county.  And many, many days are ten hours plus, we certainly don't get 10 weeks of summer and are expected to attend/present at workshops, conferences, transition meetings around family's schedules (which is as it should be...that's what we're there for). 

As far as erasers, I'm in the minority that don't think they should EVER be used, period.  I taught my kids to draw a single line through errors they wished to re-write instead of frustrating themselves into rubbing holes into papers trying to erase.  It can be instructive for the teacher to see what errors children made and how they corrected them.

The request may have been from a newer teacher who didn't know what quantity of supplies were reasonable.  It can be pretty hard to project what you may run out of (yes, I just ended a sentence with a preposition).

Ammaarah, mcbuzz, Dena and 2 others like this.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#15 of 144 Old 08-16-2011, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoS View Post

My daughters class asked for two erasers each. If they run out they send note. Teachers rarely buy extras.

Not to hi-jack.....but I never understood when people say teachers aren't paid enough.....$75,000 a year, 10 weeks off in summer, 2 weeks at Christmas, one in March....it seems like a pretty good wage to mean. (I am not saying they don't work hard I just never understood the comments about salary......)

I think it really varies from place to place.  I also think it is a hard job.

#16 of 144 Old 08-16-2011, 06:19 AM

Quote:

I think $75K is on the very high end for a teacher's salary, maybe your school district is especially well-funded?

I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure teachers around here don't make that much (even though we live in a high COL area) -- I believe they make in the $35-45K range.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#17 of 144 Old 08-16-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedenmomma View Post

The request may have been from a newer teacher who didn't know what quantity of supplies were reasonable.  It can be pretty hard to project what you may run out of (yes, I just ended a sentence with a preposition).

That is OK - we are not judging you - even if you are a teacher orngtongue.gif

I have taught art and I also do not encourage erasers.  It seems to promote perfectionism.  I do not know if speed of writing is an issue for kids (I bet it is!) but erasers would slow that down as well.  

#18 of 144 Old 08-16-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:

Uhhhh...... seriously. Where do you live? I'll move there in a heartbeat! I'm studying to become a teacher, but I KNOW I won't be making anywhere close to that amount (at least, not in the district I live in currently).

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#19 of 144 Old 08-16-2011, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I guess to me the more reasonable thing would be to send home an HONEST letter about what is needed for school supplies for pooling & ask people to send a minimum plus whatever extra they can handle. So "please send 2 erasers minimum - any extra would be appreciated to pool". I understand the idea of asking for lots from everyone & then it makes up for those who don't send any/enough but I would never look at the list that way - even if we didn't have the money I would be trying my absolute best to get everything on the list - I'm sure I'm not alone with this sort of thinking. If people knew what was actually needed I think it would be easier for a lot of people.

I also don't understand why it ALL has to be purchased & sent in at the beginning of the year - why can a request not go out partway through the year with a list of things they are running low on? I know my Mom was always incredibly stressed about money in September 'cause of all the start of the year costs.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#20 of 144 Old 08-16-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:

who the heck makes that kind of money as a teacher????  where on earth could you live?  in GA, teachers with an Edd or PhD and 20 years of experience still aren't approaching that figure. 

could the request come from something as simple as that is the number in a package of the erasers?  like someone was flipping through an office store catalog and decided to use the number that was prepackaged to keep people from wondering which to buy?

eta: or maybe they're planning to help students with their standardized testing like they do here in the atlanta schools?  (sorry, sorry)

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#21 of 144 Old 08-16-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:

Long Island New York pays for TONS for their teachers.  But good luck getting a job - its practically impossible.

#22 of 144 Old 08-16-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:

You know, teachers often lose their summers to taking professional or college courses required by the state licensing boards. And they often take home their schoolwork to grade during the teaching year.. so its not as much time off as you think.
#23 of 144 Old 08-16-2011, 08:16 AM

And at least around here, any time off they do have is spent working their second jobs -- the ones they need to make ends meet. greensad.gif

#24 of 144 Old 08-16-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post

And every year, I tell the teacher that I don't believe in communism. I send in enough for my ds and he keeps his stuff to himself. But I can't help but get pissed off when they try to trick people in to donating.

Well, communism or not, I send extras and I always tell my kids to share freely.

I guess you've never been the kid sitting there without something. It hurts. My best friend in elementary school had a single mom who left them alone a lot. My friend barely got enough to eat.. let alone pink erasers or anything new. The school counselors always seemed to round up a bag of supplies for her and her brother by the end of the first day of school and they took such good care of those things.
Ammaarah and Owen'nZoe like this.
#25 of 144 Old 08-16-2011, 08:24 AM

Hmm, in MN they make great money in the public schools. I went to a well know college for school teachers and thus, many of my best friends are teachers.  They all make $50-65K and they do indeed have 2 weeks off at Christmas, week at spring break etc plus they get at least 8 totally free weeks in the summer in which they are not attending workshops or preparing classrooms. 

I do think teaching is hard job and I believe that they are 10 hour days but I have those too.  Anyways, I'm sorry to derail this thread so back on topic--have you asked the teacher why they need this many?  That does seem crazy!

swede likes this.
#26 of 144 Old 08-16-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

And at least around here, any time off they do have is spent working their second jobs -- the ones they need to make ends meet. greensad.gif

That happens here a lot - first year teachers especially don't make enough money to live on and pay their student loans.  The starting pay for public school here is between 18 and 20K, and only those with masters degrees (which they earned in multiple "summers off") approach 75K.  I don't know a single teacher who only puts in an 8 hour day, either.  Most stay very late to grade papers, lesson plan and often do their own cleaning since our district cut maintenance to the bone.  High school teachers also have to monitor clubs, help coach sports teams, and chaperone dances.  Add in being available by phone to talk with parents, and some teachers are on the job from 7am-10pm or later!

OP, my original thought was that last names A-L brought the erasers and last names M-Z brought the pencils, but if that is not the case I think pp's are right and the teacher is hoping some people buy enough to cover those who can't buy any.  This practice never bothered me, as I too am thankful I can do it. 

#27 of 144 Old 08-16-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

who the heck makes that kind of money as a teacher????  where on earth could you live?  in GA, teachers with an Edd or PhD and 20 years of experience still aren't approaching that figure. 

Experienced teachers in my area of the NE (a good public school district) make $50,000+ with complete family health insurance (including dental and eye) and great retirement benefits.  More than once, I thought about getting certified.

ETA - and it is next to impossible to get a position in the lower grades.  An administrator told me the school had nearly 1,000 applications for 1 elementary teachin job.  He said it is so competitive, any applicant that doesn't have at least a dual degree is immediately discarded.  He said many applicants have dual degrees in elementary ed AND special ed or elementary ed AND Spanish.  My son's kindergarten teacher has a dual degree is physics and elementary ed.  

It is not nearly as competitive for the high school and on occasion, I see loan forgiveness offers for math and science teachers.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#28 of 144 Old 08-16-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post
I also don't understand why it ALL has to be purchased & sent in at the beginning of the year - why can a request not go out partway through the year with a list of things they are running low on? I know my Mom was always incredibly stressed about money in September 'cause of all the start of the year costs.

One of my DDs teachers told me that she had sent both a note home with all the students and an email to all the parents requesting more Kleenex and exactly ONE child brought more in. I had my DD go in with a big value pack of boxes!

If they don't get it at the beginning of the year, chances are, they aren't getting it.

(I should edit my post -- where we live now and where we have lived in the past and in the state my sister teaches in, teachers don't get paid much. I haven't lived everywhere though, not yet!)

#29 of 144 Old 08-16-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

could the request come from something as simple as that is the number in a package of the erasers?  like someone was flipping through an office store catalog and decided to use the number that was prepackaged to keep people from wondering which to buy?

lol.gif It is so much easier for me when I can easily find the right number/size on the list, otherwise I end up wasting time looking for the specified item, then have to decide what to substitute if I can't find it.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#30 of 144 Old 08-16-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
One of my DDs teachers told me that she had sent both a note home with all the students and an email to all the parents requesting more Kleenex and exactly ONE child brought more in. I had my DD go in with a big value pack of boxes!

If they don't get it at the beginning of the year, chances are, they aren't getting it.

nod.gif

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page