Ipad owners - what size should I get? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-16-2011, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I really, really want an Ipad.  I have an Itouch (8MB) now and use it for listening to podcasts, watching Netflix in bed, occasional games and videos for DS.  I have filled the Itouch video memory in the past when we travelled and I purchased TV shows to watch.

I would use an Ipad for the same things plus surfing the web, maybe a few games for DS, very occasional email and as an eReader.  I don't download music. 

The sales people I have talked to all have the same advice of "if you are spending $XXX, you might as well double the MBs for another $100.

Thoughts?

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#2 of 16 Old 08-16-2011, 01:00 PM

Well, we have the 32MB one because DH downloads a lot of ripped DVDs onto it for watching during his commutes but we got the 16MB one for my mom, who only uses it for email, music, surfing and minimal photos and I think it is enough memory for her. From your description I would say 16MB should be enough. It's always nice to have extra memory which may or may not be "worth" the $100 more depending on the person...

Mom to DS born 6/09 and DS2 born 6/12

#3 of 16 Old 08-16-2011, 01:26 PM

The 16 sounds like it will be fine for your needs.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#4 of 16 Old 08-16-2011, 02:14 PM

My philosophy is more is better, because you can't add storage space later like you can on a laptop or desktop. I have the 64 gig. 

#5 of 16 Old 08-16-2011, 04:49 PM

I'd get the bigger one. You never know what kind of new stuff will be coming out in the next few years and how much space it will take up. It would be a shame to have to upgrade a $700 item because you suddenly found you didn't have enough space!

I got the 64G so I could put on all of my music, a bunch of apps, and a load of videos whenever we have a road trip.
#6 of 16 Old 08-17-2011, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.  I can't say I am any closer to deciding.

#7 of 16 Old 08-17-2011, 08:02 AM

I have the 16GB and I would say go bigger if you can.  I have an 8GB iPod and that was always fine, but when I got the iPad I loaded two movies and a couple of tv episodes and nearly maxed out the memory.  That's with only *maybe* a couple hundred songs loaded and three pages of apps.  Since I use it to distract DS2 at dr. appointments, etc, it's important to me to have a variety of things loaded (and we can't rely on Netflix since wifi is not always available and the 3G is slow).

mama to Joey (1/04) and Teddy (4/08) :
#8 of 16 Old 08-17-2011, 10:52 AM

We recently got an iPad - I'd err bigger and spend the extra for the GB.  There will likely end up being a few things you didn't anticipate using it for, and it's cheaper to buy the larger memory than get a second iPad later (since you can't add memory to it  --  unless that's no big deal in a few years in case you did need it).  

We do have the larger size - which we've found really useful since we have a Mac and dh has an iPhone and we can coordinate things between them all.  We mainly use the iPad for easier map quest directions, internet in bed, games, sometimes music (with no expectation for it to hold all our music at once), and keeping up the calendar and organizing a few things (wine collection, notepad for me.)  Dh reads on it too - we have about 2 1/2 pages of apps.  We have netflix on it but don't use it too heavily for video stuff.     

#9 of 16 Old 08-17-2011, 01:22 PM

I'd say compromise and get the 32 gb size.

Wifi or 3G is my current debate (since you can't add the 3G later one, either).

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#10 of 16 Old 08-17-2011, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marisa724 View Post

I have the 16GB and I would say go bigger if you can.  I have an 8GB iPod and that was always fine, but when I got the iPad I loaded two movies and a couple of tv episodes and nearly maxed out the memory.  That's with only *maybe* a couple hundred songs loaded and three pages of apps.  Since I use it to distract DS2 at dr. appointments, etc, it's important to me to have a variety of things loaded (and we can't rely on Netflix since wifi is not always available and the 3G is slow).

This pushed me to the 32MB.  a couple of movies and a couple of TV episodes is what I would be using it for.

I don't need the 3G so I don't need to obsess over that choice.

A related question - is there any "deals" out there or is pricing pretty much the same across retailers? 

#11 of 16 Old 08-17-2011, 03:46 PM

I'm really glad I got the 3G, it has really come in handy when traveling, on the road and when our power went out after a storm for over 4 hours. 

#12 of 16 Old 08-18-2011, 01:32 PM

Drummer's Wife -- I use the 3G all the time.  ALL the time.  But keep in mind that my current cell phone is a stuck-in-the-90s, pay-as-you-go "dumb" phone and I don't have a monthly cell phone bill - just $30 every few months to refill my minutes.  But this means that I don't have my phone for Facebook, email, web browsing, any of that.  That's why paying for the 3G is worth it to me.

I have a preschooler who goes to a Montessori school about 20 minutes from our house, and it doesn't always make sense for me to drive home for the 2.5h per day he's there.  I'd use the time to run a few errands, but I'd almost always wind up in the school parking lot a half hour early, and I'd use the 3G then.  Same for my older son's school pickup -- get there early to get a good spot in line, read online forums for 20 minutes.  :)  It's also been nice to have when we've been traveling (real-time GPS/maps, finding hotel info as you're zipping along on I-95) and even closer day trips to the beach or whatever. 

Usually, the 3G isn't fast enough to stream Netflix, but it is great for Pandora radio, I was just using that this afternoon.

The plans are pretty reasonable - I have AT&T and I think it's $15 for 250mb of data and $25 for 2GB -- I have the second plan and it might as well be 'unlimited' as far as I'm concerned, since I use Wi-fi wherever it's available, home, Starbucks, library, etc. (250mb wasn't quite enough for 30 days for me.)  It renews automatically every 30 days unless you cancel it by day 29 - no penalty.

So that's the basics of it -- if you have a phone that can do a lot of what you'd be using the iPad for, you may not have a need for the 3G.  There are lots of hotspots around these days as well.

mama to Joey (1/04) and Teddy (4/08) :
#13 of 16 Old 08-21-2011, 11:20 AM

Thanks, Marisa, for the info.  That's just why I'm not convinced yet on 3G - I have an iphone 4 that I use all the time, and could easily look up directions or pull up a map.  But, what if I regret not buying the 3G version?  The plans are really cheap for Internet, and bonus that there is no contract. 

I may end up with one of each - in the 32 size - b/c DH would use one for work a lot, as he visits multiple customers a day - and not usually in his office.

I would be fine with our own wifi or my University's wifi, and could use my iphone other times.  hmmm.

Did you buy one yet, Caneel?  I plan to within the next few days, but, I don't know that there are any deals to be had on new ipad 2's. I wish my Apple student discount included them. I'll probably order from Amazon.

#14 of 16 Old 08-21-2011, 03:57 PM

I preordered the wifi version of iPad when they first came out last year and originally we didn't have a date for the 3G model. I ended up giving it to my daughter and buying the iPad 3G when it released a few weeks later. I already had an iPhone then, and I have iPhone 4 now. The screen size of iPhone is fine for some things, I read ebooks on mine every day. But for maps, internet and so many other things iPads bigger screen size is much preferable and I'm so glad I have full time cellular on both. For 15 dollars a month it's so worth it for those times I am away from wifi and want the bigger screen. 

My daughter really wishes the one I gave her was the 3G one. 

#15 of 16 Old 08-22-2011, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post

Did you buy one yet, Caneel?  I plan to within the next few days, but, I don't know that there are any deals to be had on new ipad 2's. I wish my Apple student discount included them. I'll probably order from Amazon.

No, not yet.  I am debating the 32 vs. 64MB.  I am not going to worry about the 3G as there is no service where I will be using my Ipad the most.  I have a droid for navigation and such.

#16 of 16 Old 08-26-2011, 10:09 AM

So, I ended up with 2 different ones (one for me and one for DH b/c sharing wasn't working out so well - LOL).

Both are ipad 2's, one is white with 32 gb and wifi + 3G, the other is black with 16 gb and wifi only. 

I bought a cover I thought I liked based on Amazon reviews and I hate it now that I've used it for a day, so I'm looking for another one.

I realize both of these are the smaller 2 models, but 64 gb seemed overkill for what we need them for.  Especially since most things are online, which don't require saving on the ipad itself. DH mostly uses remote access to his computer at work so he can use all the programs and files he has there on-the-go. Plus, we both have smartphones. I figure we can always sell the smaller, wifi one in the future if it doesn't meet our needs (or pass it on to the kids if they are lucky enough -- they keep begging to play).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page