s/o - how much would you spend on a meal out? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-27-2011, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

when we eat out with the kids we typically go to a place that offers free meals for kids.    

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2011, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I can't get over the amounts some of you spend on eating out. Just mind boggling. Even if we had the money, I can't see spending that much on one meal.

We virtually never eat out (dh doesn't like to) & we haven't eaten out with just the 2 of us since before we had kids. We do order in a couple times a month and try to keep it under $30 for the 5 of us. With the way prices have gone up these days, it's usually more like $35 for pizza. If we order in Chinese, it's closer to $50. In both those cases, we usually end up with at least a snack for the kids for the next day in addition to supper.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Old 08-27-2011, 10:20 PM

We only eat at chain restaurants when we are with extended family that is usually paying for it.

Usually we have four different restaurant routines:

#1: takeout from mexican, chinese, or indian restaurants. Or pizza. - Less than $20, most of the time tops out at around $20.
#2: a sit down restaurant that DD, DH, and I go to. We usually order an appetizer, DH has a beer, and we split an entree. Around $25.
#3: a sit down place that we go to alone when DD is at grandma's house. We have an appetizer, each have an entree, and split a dessert. DH usually has a couple of good beers and I do too when Im not pg. So, around $75 total
#4: we are out of town and its a special occasion and we have the oppurtunity to eat amazing food that we normally cant get. We have done this three times ever and each time spent around $125.00 to eat out, including drinks.

None of this includes tip, which never, ever dips below 20% of the cost of the meal. Also, after working in the local food industry for several years, I am often comped appetizers and deserts or given discounts by people I know that work at certain restaurants. I have not included those discounts for our normal spending.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 08-27-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaskyla View Post

I can't get over the amounts some of you spend on eating out. Just mind boggling. Even if we had the money, I can't see spending that much on one meal.

We virtually never eat out (dh doesn't like to) & we haven't eaten out with just the 2 of us since before we had kids. We do order in a couple times a month and try to keep it under $30 for the 5 of us. With the way prices have gone up these days, it's usually more like $35 for pizza. If we order in Chinese, it's closer to $50. In both those cases, we usually end up with at least a snack for the kids for the next day in addition to supper.

DH and I took the kids to Souplantation (a soup/salad buffet restaurant) today, and the bill for 2 adults, one child, and the toddler free, plus 3 drinks, was $32.  Even Olive Garden would be over $50 not including tip.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Old 08-28-2011, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We typically eat at one of 5 places, there are 4 of us.  Sushi, we only go for lunch because it's half price rolls.  That's usually about $45 for the 4 of us.  Local place in the city, about $60, but they have an swesome appetizer plate that we love so it jacks up the price.  Mexican $45 or so.  Maggiano's is our other favorite and that's $60 at least, but it's enough for two meals.  

We went out for a $500 dinner with dh's business partner and his wife.  It was good, but it wasn't any better than the Mexican place.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:38 PM

It depends.  We're vegetarian plus we live in a town where there aren't chain type restaurants unless you go into tourist areas.  Good example:  DD was down at the beach with in-laws this week and DH and I had the world at our fingertips.  We ate at a Himalayan place for $25 including tips.  Most veggie places are BYOB so we take our own wine and drink minnies on the way.  Unfortunately, or fortunately, we spend a lot less out because most places cater to meat eaters, so a fancy place for us is a place where we can have chef-inspried vegetarian stuff (usually of the asian inspired variety) so ultimately we spend more at home on veggie inspired gourmet than we do out.  I think the most we ever spent was $80 and we had guests.  That was at Spring Street Natural (my fav NY restaurant but they also serve meat as well as vegetarian entrees).

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

My husband only does chains, and it feels like we can't get out for under $75 for the 4 of us, but I guess it must be cheaper at Red Robin.  We ate at Disney restaurants on vacation, they were really expensive, so I started ordering soup because my 12 year old was considered too old for the kids' meal.  So she was getting $28 entrees because that was what there was, so I just started getting soup and eating the vegetables that no one else eats.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Red Robin can get pricey, but we can get out for $25 if we order water (default anyway) and I split a burger with one of the kids which is fine b/c those things are huge.

obstruct livery vehicles

Old 08-28-2011, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

dd and i LOVE good food.

i can spend any amount on eating out. 

recently we have hardly gone anywhere except to our local taqueria or chipotle.

btw dd and me i have spent 200 at a meal. sushi. we got the $100 fish tray. Mind you i got the low end of the dinner for 200. the sushi boats started at 100.

dd does not ever eat from the kids menu. she never has. she enjoys fancy stuff and so her entrees could be anything from 15 to 20 bucks (might have gone up now). 

even her burgers and fries cost $15. but this is at a good burger place and that is not her fav. food. 

there are times when we have splurged real big on the dinner knowing this would be the only treat for a long time.

usually we dont spend more than 25 (including tips). 

we very rarely do dinner coz lunches are cheaper. 

if money wasnt an issue - i'd have no qualms spending 500 on a meal between dd and me. esp. now that dd is taking such an interest in cooking and understands the subtlety of what she is eating. i volunteer with cooking and i will say (though i am on the other side) good food - no really good food is such a fantastic experience. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 08-29-2011, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

mee mee, that's kind of cool.  I actually felt that way when I was younger, but now I kind of feel like good food is wasted on me, or something.  Not really, but I don't have the tastebuds I once did.  For my daughter's 12th birthday, I took her to a restaurant as her present, she got to pick one that was more expensive than we would do, and she got to order what she wanted including dessert and a fancy drink.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:27 PM

we dont get to go out often. but if we do it is 40-70 for all 5 of us. but usually around 40-50.

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

Old 09-05-2011, 05:24 PM

When we go out with the kids, it's usually about a $50-60 tab. We go to the same place each time as it's the only restaurant in our town that has gluten-free choices for DD. We go there probably every 8 weeks. DH and I usually go out for lunch once/week (we both work FT) and we either go to the locally owned sushi place (a $35 tab for AYCE sushi for the both of us) or East Indian place that runs about $30 for both of us. Once a year, we go all out and get together with some friends and celebrate our birthdays (they're all w/in a few months timespan) at a local steakhouse. We easily drop $150 on that but we do steak and lobster, wine and dessert.

Mama to my 3 wild things.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:40 PM

My idea of fancy is over $15 per person, heheh. On my first date with my DP, I took him to a place that charged about $80 for the two of us (after tip), and he was mortified. Even though he'd agreed in advance to me paying for dinner, he kept shoving money in my hands after he saw the check! The food/"atmosphere"/service was all reasonably pleasant but not really anything special, so I doubt I'll ever pay that much again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey693 View Post

So does everyone get drinks and dessert when they go out?  If I'm with DH and the kids I'll get water or a diet coke and almost never dessert.  If I go out with a friend it's usually just drinks and then I get 2 or 3.

I don't drink alcohol. I always want desert, but I never have enough room after eating some giant restaurant meal. Recently DP and I have decided that we should occasionally split an entree so that we can get a desert.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:01 PM

For DH and I, it depends.  For pizza, apps, and beers, about $35 a head, not including tip.  If we're talking fancy meal (usually our anniversary), about $80 a head.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:56 PM

Rarely does our bill top $50 before tip (for two adults). Often, it's less than $30 for two entrees and a shared appetizer (we drink water). We mostly go to local restaurants. The most expensive dinner we've had was $120 after tip for an anniversary, and if I remember correctly that was with two drinks and two desserts.

-maryam-

mother to a little silly goose boy (May 2012) + seven non-human kiddos + five who have passed on stillheart.gif

partner to a babywearing, dirt-digging, diaper-washing, hammer-wielding programmer since November 2003

Old 09-06-2011, 05:29 AM

I know this is a spin-off of my thread, but I'll reply, anyway, and take my licks. 

We typically spend roughly $100 for dinner.  That's for 3 adults (my mother lives with us) and a child who orders off of the adult menu.  So, basically 4 adults.  We often take home leftovers.  It does include drinks.  Dh and I enjoy wine and will usually order 3 glasses between the 2 of us (we share the last one). Mom usually gets a cup of coffee. Dd usually gets a bottle of sparkling water, which is at least as much as a soda and sometimes as much as a glass of wine.  Dd loves good food and we're not going to make her eat crappy kid's menu food just because she's a kid.  So, an average of $25/head including drinks.  We often will have an appetizer, but not usually dessert.  For a really nice meal, we'll spend double our usual.  Some foods I just can't replicate at home even though I'm a very good cook.  I'm not a trained chef, though, so there are just some things beyond my abilities (including accessibility to some foods... truffles for example).

If we eat at the local mexican place or Cracker Barrel, we get out for under $40, and that includes a couple of margaritas for us if at the mexican place. 

We really enjoy good food and it's a budget line item because it's so important to us.  We enjoy the experience as entertainment.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post

mee mee, that's kind of cool.  I actually felt that way when I was younger, but now I kind of feel like good food is wasted on me, or something.  Not really, but I don't have the tastebuds I once did.  For my daughter's 12th birthday, I took her to a restaurant as her present, she got to pick one that was more expensive than we would do, and she got to order what she wanted including dessert and a fancy drink.

viola i think i have had super sensitive taste  buds so i am good even now. i have always been a tea snob and even today i can tell if the water 

was over boiled. 

however the eating out has been a tradition with us. we've been doing it since dd was 2. havent done it the last few years since i dont have money. but she actually has taught some adults the art of fine eating. i think that's what she has inherited from her dad. plus she  has always been interested in the art of cooking and she has been watching cooking shows since she was 2. 

from the ages of 2 to 5 she chose a fancy sushi place that. we occasionally would visit. they were new and she helped set up their kids menu. but they were so sweet some years they did not charge her at all, some years they brought her a special dessert. mochi with the plate decorated in chocolate swirls. so there would be this 2 year old who did pretty good at table manners and then she'd pick up the plate and lick the chocolate off. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

User Tag List