What did you accomplish today? - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 1361 Old 01-15-2012, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Smokering, I am so jealous of your new house. It sounds awesome. Though the moving... ugh, moving is terrible. 

Imakcerka - do you work seven days a week? Dang, it seems like you never get a free day. 

As for me, I made brunch so far. That is all. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#302 of 1361 Old 01-15-2012, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

No I work 15 days a month 12 hour shifts.  It actually rocks.  every other weekend is a three day weekend.  I get so many holiday and leave days it's ridiculous.  Since Monday is a holiday I have 16 hrs of holiday leave already sitting in my bucket.  I still have over 80 hrs that carried over from last year.  I use my holidays for family and school stuff.  It seems like I'm at work alot but this is my three day work weekend and I'm taking three days of leave next week, which will work out to 8 days off.  And thats how Awesome rolls! 

I'm jealous of smokerings new house too.  Though I'm sure she'll just be happy when she's all settled in and there is fewer things to take care of. 

Hows the work situation going Kitchen?

#303 of 1361 Old 01-15-2012, 10:23 AM

It's still crappy... they still want me back in the office but we still can't afford daycare. So we're at an impasse for the moment.

I just reorganized the two freezers, and they're practically full... it's going to kill me if I have to start dumping extra breast milk... 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#304 of 1361 Old 01-15-2012, 10:27 AM

Use if for baking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

It's still crappy... they still want me back in the office but we still can't afford daycare. So we're at an impasse for the moment.

I just reorganized the two freezers, and they're practically full... it's going to kill me if I have to start dumping extra breast milk... 

#305 of 1361 Old 01-15-2012, 10:31 AM

Hahahaha oh my god I don't think I could be that person! Plus, I was really hoping to build up a wicked supply since I EP and I want to stop sooner rather than later.... but I just did the math on how much is in there and it's only a month! I could maybe fit another month in there if I pulled out some things that can survive not being in the freezer (like the bulk 25 pound bag of flour in there currently). I was kind of hoping I could stop pumping around month seven and keep feeding him for 3-4 months from the freezer supply, but I guess that's not going to happen. Sigh. But at least my kid is getting breast milk. 

#306 of 1361 Old 01-17-2012, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:

I need to get the pizza in the oven in a bit, as well as order diapers online (Babies R Us sent me an email for a free $20 gift card if I order Pampers, PLUS I just happen to have a gift card from Christmas, so I feel like I'm getting these for practically free!). And I need to pay our internet and phone bills so I can keep living it up as part of society. And I got a need seed/poultry catalog that needs perusing. See, that's hardly anything at all. :-)

I got the same email, but it doesn't apply to size 2!  I was thinking of buying them for later but then I got lazy.  Probably should have bought them, he's growing out of his 2s anyway.  His tiny baby butt isn't quite as tiny as it used to be

knit.gifmama to  thumbsuck.gif (09/11)

#307 of 1361 Old 01-17-2012, 02:06 PM

Fixed the mustang and the van.  My hands hurt and I can't get the crap out from under my nails... Salt and lotion usually work but I'm lazy right now.  I also pinched my finger under the battery trying to place it back in it's stupid slot.  Stupid American car! 

#308 of 1361 Old 01-17-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branditopolis View Post

I got the same email, but it doesn't apply to size 2!  I was thinking of buying them for later but then I got lazy.  Probably should have bought them, he's growing out of his 2s anyway.  His tiny baby butt isn't quite as tiny as it used to be

Yeah, none of what I saw qualified either! It said you had to buy a box with a minimum 88 count, but of course they didn't have that, or even the 92 count in stock. And I wasn't about to drop $100 on two giant cases, plus shipping just for the $20 gift card. Our son is going up a size now also, from 2-3, and their selection of those was awful. What a gimmick. :-(

Yesterday I baked a couple of quick breads, cinnamon swirl and blueberry. Husband and I also watched This Old House and the season finale of Sherlock Holmes last night, which was nice.  

Today I rearranged the living room to accommodate the arrival of my desktop computer from work - my second crappy ten year old company laptop inside of a week crashed today. I told them enough is enough, I NEED a working computer. Of course it doesn't have wireless, so I had to switch my sewing-now-work-desk and a couple of trunks we use as a side table around, so I can actually plus into our router or whatever. Fun times. 

#309 of 1361 Old 01-17-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:

Don't dump! Start rotating. Now that he's 3 months old, mix his bottles every day to be half fresh pumped milk and half thawed frozen milk, he'll still get all those antibodies from the fresh. It will keep him used to the flavor of the thawed milk and you can rotate out the oldest milk and keep your stash current. It is kind of time consuming, but I got into a groove and just did it automatically every morning, it helped me to EP longer and my dd never rejected frozen milk.

#310 of 1361 Old 01-17-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemom View Post

Don't dump! Start rotating. Now that he's 3 months old, mix his bottles every day to be half fresh pumped milk and half thawed frozen milk, he'll still get all those antibodies from the fresh. It will keep him used to the flavor of the thawed milk and you can rotate out the oldest milk and keep your stash current. It is kind of time consuming, but I got into a groove and just did it automatically every morning, it helped me to EP longer and my dd never rejected frozen milk.

Yeah, but I'm still producing more than what I have the space to store even with rotating it. And I may have to go back to in office work in a few weeks, so he's going to be getting refrigerated milk at the very least for most of his feedings. 

#311 of 1361 Old 01-17-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:

Yeah, but I'm still producing more than what I have the space to store even with rotating it. And I may have to go back to in office work in a few weeks, so he's going to be getting refrigerated milk at the very least for most of his feedings. 

Ugh, I was an overproducer, too and got very overwhelmed by it.  My biggest pump was always first thing in the morning (usually about 26 oz) and I would dump the first 4-6 oz immediately (in a cup, then return to pumping) as it was all thin foremilk. Then I was only dealing with saving the richer hindmilk.  It helped a little.

You are doing a great job! EPing is hard work and takes serious dedication and, believe me, you are a star for making it this far already!  Few women actually make it past the 3 month mark.

#312 of 1361 Old 01-17-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemom View Post

Ugh, I was an overproducer, too and got very overwhelmed by it.  My biggest pump was always first thing in the morning (usually about 26 oz) and I would dump the first 4-6 oz immediately (in a cup, then return to pumping) as it was all thin foremilk. Then I was only dealing with saving the richer hindmilk.  It helped a little.

You are doing a great job! EPing is hard work and takes serious dedication and, believe me, you are a star for making it this far already!  Few women actually make it past the 3 month mark.

Wow, 26! I don't get quite that much, usually anywhere from 18-20 first thing. Plus my last two pumps of the day, depending upon when he goes to sleep - sometimes it just the last one, are extra too. If I do end up dumping anything, probably the first third of the morning pump will be what goes... thanks for the support. It is hard, but I am so determined to make it to at least six months. Only two more to go on that goal, and then I'll see if I can muster for another three! 

#313 of 1361 Old 01-22-2012, 02:11 PM

Wow, this thread is quiet. Don't you people do anything? :-)

Smokering, did you guys get moved into the new house okay?

This weekend was lazy. Yesterday I work worked for half the day. Blech. 

Today I went on a wild goose chase to find the current issue of Saveur magazine. I went to four stores before finding a copy. Seriously - this was my one chance to get out of the house for the week and give myself a little treat, so I was not about to come home empty handed. I hope to be able to start reading it while having a soak in the tub after we put the baby to bed for the night. 

I also updated the family calendar for the next three months. It's one of those dry erase numbers, and we have it hanging in the kitchen. I still want to put the bill due dates on it for February so we can try to mail in the payments instead of paying online (some of ours charge fees to do it), but I'll have to dig up the bills and honestly I don't feel like doing that now. I can get to it sometime this week. 

That's pretty much it. I'm trying to work up the motivation to go into the kitchen and bake some beer bread and a couple of loaves of cinnamon swirl for breakfast, but I'm really enjoying just sitting for a change. 

#314 of 1361 Old 01-22-2012, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)

Quote:

Wow, this thread is quiet. Don't you people do anything? :-)

OK, I fought with my husband and frightened our dog.  hide.gif

Worked on a letter to one of our state senators about some proposed legislation, took a road trip (with the above-mentioned husband and dog), stopped at a kitchen store and got things for us, my mother, both our sons, and a neighbor.  Hung out with friends, had dinner, emailed / chatted with our kids, am about to plug some receipts in on GnuCash.  Slow going.  Day of rest.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#315 of 1361 Old 01-22-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMadly View Post

OK, I fought with my husband and frightened our dog.  hide.gif

Worked on a letter to one of our state senators about some proposed legislation, took a road trip (with the above-mentioned husband and dog), stopped at a kitchen store and got things for us, my mother, both our sons, and a neighbor.  Hung out with friends, had dinner, emailed / chatted with our kids, am about to plug some receipts in on GnuCash.  Slow going.  Day of rest.

I knew someone else out there did something today. I'm jealous you got to go shopping at a kitchen store. If I had a million dollars... well, I'd be in big trouble. 

#316 of 1361 Old 01-22-2012, 07:32 PM

I've been entertaining DH's sister since Thursday.  We've gone hiking, took her out to Moroccan food and now we're watching Americki Futbol!  Volim Eli Manning, On je najbolje Quarterback.  Oh and I've been studying my Serbian and Croatian.  

#317 of 1361 Old 01-22-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

I've been entertaining DH's sister since Thursday.  We've gone hiking, took her out to Moroccan food and now we're watching Americki Futbol!  Volim Eli Manning, On je najbolje Quarterback.  Oh and I've been studying my Serbian and Croatian.  

As a Continuing Ed dropout after retaking a French class three times, I bow!!!

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#318 of 1361 Old 01-22-2012, 09:06 PM

oh there was no room for dropping out the military made me learn it.  I just spent so many years on it I don't want to loose it.  EVER!  DH speaks it as well.  And you can do it!

Quote:

As a Continuing Ed dropout after retaking a French class three times, I bow!!!

#319 of 1361 Old 01-23-2012, 04:09 AM

I spent the weekend avoiding my house by taking DS out shopping or to visit friends since my mother took it upon herself to invite her abusive alcoholic exboyfriend to sleep on our couch for a week.  This plan backfired, though-- my teeny tiny DS caught some sort of stomach bug and was vomiting up the little he ate all day yesterday :(  had to sit in the ER for SIX HOURS last night, listening to screaming babies and beeping machines.  It was terrible, DS was obviously annoyed by the sounds.

#320 of 1361 Old 01-23-2012, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branditopolis View Post

I spent the weekend avoiding my house by taking DS out shopping or to visit friends since my mother took it upon herself to invite her abusive alcoholic exboyfriend to sleep on our couch for a week.  This plan backfired, though-- my teeny tiny DS caught some sort of stomach bug and was vomiting up the little he ate all day yesterday :(  had to sit in the ER for SIX HOURS last night, listening to screaming babies and beeping machines.  It was terrible, DS was obviously annoyed by the sounds.

Poor baby!  Hope he's feeling better.  Aren't hospitals terrible?  When does exbf leave?

#321 of 1361 Old 01-23-2012, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Smokering, did you guys get moved into the new house okay?

Heh. Yes, we did, more or less... but our internet didn't get reconnected until this morning. DH had to threaten litigation. :p Turned out someone put something somewhere back to front, plus a lot of general incompetence. It's just as well we have it back up - DH works from home and relies on the internet for his business, and we're starting to run out of money!

So far today I've made cheese straws, hung a ruffle ball I made yesterday up in DD's room, made poached eggs for breakfast, put bread on and washed down the (FILTHY) walls of the toilet. Oh, and traced the pattern for some pants for DS, for an outfit I need to make him by Saturday for a wedding. And blogged.

It's now 1:12PM and I have lots, lots more to do, including painting and running errands in town...

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#322 of 1361 Old 01-23-2012, 04:21 PM

That's good. But it's too bad there's so much general incompetence in the world... 

Today I worked for work most of the day. Tidied around the house a bit. Am going to make dinner in a little while here, and then sit and watch the last episode of TOH with husband, and maybe some more Victorian Kitchen Garden, in between baby snuggles and entertainment. 

#323 of 1361 Old 01-23-2012, 04:49 PM

I gave the cat and dog bathes and clipped both animals nails.. Did some packing.. Started knitting my oldest daughter a scripture tote. Now Im going to go sew together some cloth books for my son's birthday.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#324 of 1361 Old 01-23-2012, 05:35 PM

Cleaned the bathroom, updated my phone which I haven't been able to do in months since our main computer's hard drive died, uploaded photos off the digital camera, cleaned out my email inbox, blogged, read a bit, and now dinner is in the oven. DS and I didn't do any "school" today though, he sounds a little congested and has been coughing, so I wanted him to take it easy and rest.

joy.giflurk.gif

#325 of 1361 Old 01-23-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post

I gave the cat and dog bathes and clipped both animals nails.. Did some packing.. Started knitting my oldest daughter a scripture tote. Now Im going to go sew together some cloth books for my son's birthday.

Packing? PCSing?

#326 of 1361 Old 01-24-2012, 01:15 AM

Quote:

Packing? PCSing?

Completing a PCS. We moved from Japan back stateside in May but my husband's command was deploying a week after he checked in so it was "strongly suggested" that I stay where we were taking leave (basically around family) because he wasn't going to have time to get an apartment or anything. So weve been here since he left in May, he got back a couple of weeks ago so we are finishing the PCS to North Carolina.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#327 of 1361 Old 01-24-2012, 01:23 AM

Quote:

Poor baby!  Hope he's feeling better.  Aren't hospitals terrible?  When does exbf leave?

ugh this guy is going to be there all week, she said.  and tonight she's kicked my little sister (who sleeps with her) to the couch so this guy can sleep in there with her.  She watches my son for me at night while I work!  I don't want that loser around my son.  I got out of the shower today and came into the kitchen to find him holding DS.  My mother encourages him, she's trying to integrate him into our family again.  I've already expressed how much I DO NOT WANT THIS MAN AROUND MY SON.  I had to give DS a bath after, he smelled like cigarettes.

#328 of 1361 Old 01-24-2012, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
I had to give DS a bath after, he smelled like cigarettes.

Ew. Time to lay down the law?

I'm going to update this as I go. So far I've:

-tied all my sweet peas to stakes. Silly me tried to grow them without realising they're climbers. :p I'm making do with stakes this year, but next time I'll grow them up a fence. Also, I planted them in totally the wrong season... but they seem to be doing OK, so we'll see.

-painted a few bits of walls; hopefully the last bits of living room that need painting other than two sections of skirting board, for which I'll have to move the masking tape.

-cut out and sewn a good portion of DS' trousers, which included turning two bits of fabric shaped like small African nations into recognisable side pockets, and following some rather oblique directions for pleated 3-D pockets as well.

-made (most of) dinner

-made mocha panna cotta for dessert

-cut DD's fingernails, read her many Beatrix Potter books and bathed with her and DS

-random cleaning

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#329 of 1361 Old 01-24-2012, 06:01 PM

I attended the first Seed Savers Exchange webinar tonight - pretty informative. Gardening season is just around the corner for us! I also checked on my green onions I planted awhile back and discovered they've sprouted. 

#330 of 1361 Old 01-24-2012, 07:50 PM

So far today I have:

made 2 cloth books

decided on what Im going to get done for the rest of the month crafting wise (which was a bit hard since it included cutting out things I was making for my children's birthdays which meant some mommy-guilt.. but I can't schedule when I get sick)

ordered the rest of the birthday gifts for both children

did the rest of the shopping we needed to do until the move

packed the activity bags for the car

wrapped the birthday gifts we already had in the house

fixed the hotel reservations that we have

made dinner reservations for before we go so we can use my in-laws as babysitters once (they volunteered so its not as bad as it sounds)

Got myself two new books when I was shopping redface.gif Guilty habit, I have an e-reader and get tons of free books that way but there is something relaxing about laying down with an honest to goodness book

signed up for a test knit! New pattern to knit while DH drives, win/win situation. I get an distracted and he doesn't have to hear me correcting his driving every 2 seconds.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page