Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

-Cooked fish for breakfast

-Made a meal plan

-Did schoolwork and a puzzle with DD

-Made vanilla bean yoghurt panna cotta

-Asked on Freecycle for leftover paint for our new house

-Offered a few items on Freecycle

-Cleaned out a few shelves of the pantry (horror, carnage, very old wasabi)

-Went for a walk with the kids to the fruit and veggie shop

-Made dinner (yummy, chicken and veggies with pasta in a tomatoey sauce)

-Put henna and amla on my hair

Just finishing up a blog post, and then I need to wash the henna off my hair and go to bed.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#242 of 1361 Old 12-28-2011, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

I had to take the morning off work to take the baby to the doctor - he does not have strep throat, thank god. Doctor thinks he was just having an especially rough day with teething! I'll say - he wouldn't eat, was crying uncontrollably... argh. Guess we're in for it now!  But we can manage that; strep throat would've been awful. Though it's still possible I might have it - no baby kisses yet just to be on the safe side. 

So my MIL came in to drive us to the doctor so we didn't have to take the train, which was nice. And were able to run a few errands on the way back - dropped the library books, mailed my sister's purse back to her (she left it here at Christmas!) and stopped at the dollar store for dish sponges and such. 

I've got a half hour before I need to start working yet, so I'm catching up on a few things. :-) MIL is staying the afternoon to spend time with the baby so I can really get some work done since yesterday didn't go so good with him not feeling well. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#243 of 1361 Old 12-28-2011, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I cleaned my garage...  And I mean cleaned it!  It's bulk trash pick up and as much as it pained me to throw away bags of clothes, the cats my kids let it ripped up the bags and dropped loads of cat poo everywhere.  On top of it all we had a mice in there.  Lots of them.  I'm beginning to see my slob ways are needing a change! 

#244 of 1361 Old 12-28-2011, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Picked up books at library

Picked up package at post office

Got kiddo started on Rosetta Stone

Made dinner

Folded Laundry

PUT AWAY CHRISTMAS TREE!!

Tonight- working on crochet project

GO ME!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#245 of 1361 Old 12-28-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

PUT AWAY CHRISTMAS TREE!!

Yes! This is so on my list for this weekend! I want my living room back.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#246 of 1361 Old 12-29-2011, 02:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

-Harvested all my leeks - individually unimpressive, but pleasingly harvesty when they were all collected together

-Cleaned the top of the fridge

-Got Dad to come around with a trailer: shovelled all the dirt from the raised bed onto it (took forever), then drove out to the new house, raked the mulch away from the flower bed, and shovelled the dirt onto it (also took forever). Did a bit of planting. That all took up four hours.

-Walked to the fish and chip shop to get dinner, because DH had a headache all day

#247 of 1361 Old 12-29-2011, 02:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had a friend come over today to play with ds while I did 2 loads of laundry (including all the new christmas clothes) and sweep and mop the floors because they were AWEFUL.  I don't know where it comes from, but there is so much lint and dust!  I seriously can sweep, wait an hour, and sweep again and there will be as much lint and dust as the first time.  I cleaned the blades on the ceiling fan a couple days ago so i hope that helps but I just don't understand where it all comes from!

knit.gifmama to  thumbsuck.gif (09/11)

#248 of 1361 Old 12-29-2011, 07:09 PM

I fixed the leaky sink!  Took me 10 minutes.  It's on the wet bar and for the 10 years I've lived here I've never used it.  It rusted and couldn't be turned off normally so I took it apart replaced a few parts then put it back together.  Monday while the kids are in school I'm fixing the shower!  And retiling the part that the jerkwad contractor messed up.  I hate paying a crap ton of money to some douche who doesn't put the right backing... saved him from my estimations 10 bucks to put in a cheaper backing that would end up molding and rotting!  Again... I hate people today!

#249 of 1361 Old 12-30-2011, 02:52 AM

lmakcerka: I hear you! Our car broke down on Christmas Eve - it was making a really weird, this-can't-be-good clunking, scraping sound whenever we braked. The place we usually go to was shut until mid-January, so we went to a new guy... who told us that when our usual mechanic had checked our brakes for the WOF, he hadn't bolted something back in. Of course we had to pay the new guy, because it wasn't his fault (and he'd already fixed it)... and we won't be back to the old place. Grrrr.

Today wasn't hugely productive. We're having a New Year's Eve party tomorrow, and I decided to make ice-cream sandwiches. So I made some double chocolate cookies and double strawberry (ie. with ripple) ice cream, which I'll churn up tomorrow morning. DH and I went to the supermarket, and then to the gourmet grocery store to spend our Christmas voucher. To my delight, even though we bought a bunch of fancy cheese and olives and all sorts of things, we still have some money left on the gift card. (On the other hand, apparently I can't add.)

Then I did some schoolwork and a puzzle with DD, and we bathed the kids, and I made leek and potato soup for lunch and helped make steak for dinner. And did a cursory bit of housework. And... yup, that's about it. Oh well. It was a pleasant day. The baby was squashy and nice. It's all good.

#250 of 1361 Old 12-30-2011, 06:53 AM

my days aren't actually days since my work day starts at 1am, but i guess yesterday I managed to go to the store and buy a few yards of material to make a wrap (CLEARANCE! I got 6 yards for $7.50!) look for a new apartment on craigslist (without letting my mother know... with all her reading over my shoulder all the time, it's not that easy) and take a video of ds "talking" for our out-of-state family members.  it was so cute, he did some weird thing with his hands that made it look like he was playing an invisible saxophone.  It was a great day.  Not too productive, but a good, happy day.

#251 of 1361 Old 12-30-2011, 05:52 PM

I'm actually feeling energized for once - maybe I'm just excited to have three straight days off from work. The baby was feeling better today so I was sable to get a good amount of work for work done today. I also managed to put a pork shoulder in the crockpot for dinner, and keep up with the dishes and the tidiness war.

Big projects for this weekend, the I hope to report back as actual accomplishments - SLEEP, putting away the Christmas decorations (loved them this past month but I am so done with them now; want my house back), organizing the fabric basket/trunk from the Christmas crafting tornado, organizing the baby's toy and book bins (from the haul he got at Christmas) and organizing the changing table and the storage under the crib. Oh, and more SLEEP. 

#252 of 1361 Old 12-30-2011, 07:17 PM

Ooh, lots of organising! Good for you. :) Organising is so much more satisfying than general run-of-the-mill housework, don't you think?

Today I:

-finally got around to transferring some photos of the baby from the camera to the computer (isn't he pleasing?)

-went to the supermarket to get ingredients for Mum's birthday cake, which I'm making for tomorrow and managed to totally forget about :p

-made the batter (carrot cake) and baked the first layer

-churned up and rippled the double strawberry ice cream

-tried to find a spa place that isn't closed until mid-January, so I could get a voucher for Mum. Failed. Grrr.

-tried to nurse the baby down to sleep. Repeatedly. It did not work. He's currently sitting on my knee, eating my arm happily, but STILL NOT SLEEPING. Which is a pain, because I still need to:

-make a pink velvet roulade with Swiss buttercream

-bake the second layer of Mum's birthday cake

-ice Mum's birthday cake (although I'll probably end up doing that tomorrow)

-clean the house

-assemble the ice cream sandwiches

...before 5:30, when the guests arrive for our New Year's party. It's 4:15. So, yeah.

#253 of 1361 Old 12-30-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Ooh, lots of organising! Good for you. :) Organising is so much more satisfying than general run-of-the-mill housework, don't you think?

Today I:

-finally got around to transferring some photos of the baby from the camera to the computer (isn't he pleasing?)

-went to the supermarket to get ingredients for Mum's birthday cake, which I'm making for tomorrow and managed to totally forget about :p

-made the batter (carrot cake) and baked the first layer

-churned up and rippled the double strawberry ice cream

-tried to find a spa place that isn't closed until mid-January, so I could get a voucher for Mum. Failed. Grrr.

-tried to nurse the baby down to sleep. Repeatedly. It did not work. He's currently sitting on my knee, eating my arm happily, but STILL NOT SLEEPING. Which is a pain, because I still need to:

-make a pink velvet roulade with Swiss buttercream

-bake the second layer of Mum's birthday cake

-ice Mum's birthday cake (although I'll probably end up doing that tomorrow)

-clean the house

-assemble the ice cream sandwiches

...before 5:30, when the guests arrive for our New Year's party. It's 4:15. So, yeah.

Yes! I am a total organizing junkie! Untidiness sends me into fits of despair. LOL. Good luck with getting all that stuff done. And Happy New Year as you forge into 2012 ahead of us. When it comes, let us know if it's worth the wait or if we should shut our eyes tight on the way in. :-) 

#254 of 1361 Old 12-31-2011, 04:28 AM

I slept yesterday after work and didn't get anything done but cuddles.  The DD's made a new friend and that was good.  She's a sweet girl.  They had a blast all day according to DH.  I needed to jump start his car this morning before work but I didn't have time.  I don't think they were going anywhere.  Other than that I got dressed and made it to work on time.  That's all I can ask from myself this weekend.  I'm exhausted!

#255 of 1361 Old 12-31-2011, 08:15 AM

I slept in today! Not so good from a pumping perspective, but god I needed it. I am pumping for a bit longer at a higher setting though to make sure I don't get a plugged duct. Why is there no middle ground? But getting some rest was so amazing! I feel like a human being this morning. Well, except for the bit about being hooked up like a cow, that is. :-) The life of a mother. 

#256 of 1361 Old 12-31-2011, 01:34 PM

So far we walked to the library only discover that we were late by 15 minutes - apparently they decided to close at 1:00 today with no advance notice. I'm so mad I didn't get my books - they were holding them extra days for me since I couldn't go during the week. I doubt they'll be there through Wednesday, which is the next chance we have to go. 

Anyway, we also stopped in at the grocery store (a total madhouse) and I spent $20 more than I intended to. But the manager also gave us a free case of clementines for New Years. Love that guy, he's always giving the regulars a perk or two. I also picked up a prescription, stopped at the bank to turn our change into quarters for laundry ($23.97!) and corralled all the Christmas decorations on the dining room table to be put away. And I tidied the bedroom a bit and made the bed. 

#257 of 1361 Old 12-31-2011, 01:50 PM

I went out to the grocery store today and picked up lunch for everyone at work.  Now we're discussing how we'd handle the Zombie Apocalypse.  Obviously they'll all die and I'll survive... as a Zombie.  I know sounds crazy but this is what happens when you work for 12hrs with your peeps!

I also found a really nice vintage light green couch I'm thinking about going to get Monday.  Fingers crossed the lady doesn't sell it. 

#258 of 1361 Old 01-01-2012, 10:39 AM

Slept in again today and it was glorious! Between yesterday afternoon and this morning, I got a lot done - 

- Organized the changing table and under the crib. I discovered three more packs of diaper wipes that I didn't think we had!

- Pulled out some baby clothes to sort by size for the laundry. Kid grows like a weed.

- Organized the fabric basket and sewing table.

- Organized the baby's toy and book bins.

- Organized the cabinet under the bathroom sink. Why does all the random stuff in the house end up there?

- Took down all the Christmas decorations, including the tree.

- Set aside some things in the yard sale box, which now lives in the front hall closet instead of in our dining room.

- Swept the floors. 

- Usual housekeeping. 

- Packed up some things that we need to mail.

- Watched a movie with husband (the remake of Fright Night - mildly amusing; we really only wanted to see it for David Tennant. Love that guy.)

Husband also vacuumed the big rug and the front communal hallway and stairs on our floor (because the maintenance guy rarely comes around to do it), took out all the trash and hung/rearranged some art in the bedroom and living room. 

This afternoon some friends are coming by for an hour or two so our babies can meet and greet and we can all catch up over a little lunch. And then, since my house is blissfully pristine, I plan to play with the baby and read him stories, and when he's napping I want to relax by reading my seed catalogs, packing up some seed trades and working on my planting schedule for my spring garden. And I've got the December Saveur that I've only read about a third of. Might do a little baking too; I want to have some easy breakfast treats for the coming week. 

#259 of 1361 Old 01-02-2012, 02:37 AM

-Did some schoolwork with DD

-Started making cream cheese (DH got me a cheese-making kit for Christmas)

-Found some potential furniture online for the new house

-Made a meal plan and shopping list for this week

-Cut out some strips for DD's quilt. (I got sick of making the baby's quilt, so I moved on to an Irish chain quilt I started making for DD a long time ago. Inefficient of me, but oh well.)

-Visited with SIL and her two boys for an hour or two

-Went to the new house and did some more gardening

-Came back and did some more work on the quilt, piecing and cutting. I've completed five or six nine-patches now, and am thrilled to report that by adopting a rather less lassez-faire attitude than usual, I have actually managed to make the corners largely match up. This is a minor triumph; quilting is not my strong point, and I usually get bored with measuring seam allowances and say "Ehh, she'll be right" halfway through, and then spend the rest of the project going "Were these seams sewn by a monkey? HOW did it get so skew-wiff?!" and cursing at the sky.

Tomorrow I'm going to go to the fabric store, armed with a $10 New Year's Sale coupon, and get more pink, green and cream fabrics for the quilt. I also need to go grocery shopping, buy Mum a massage voucher for her birthday, visit a steampunky homeware store Mum told me about, and try to buy a doohickey for pulling out dandelions. My dad used to have one - kind of a forky thing - but I haven't seen them around in shops. Useful little gadgets.

#260 of 1361 Old 01-02-2012, 06:09 AM

I have some big plans for today... lets hope I get it all done

New budget

Paint the play room

Fix the shower

And then of course relax.  Right now I'm working on our budget.  

#261 of 1361 Old 01-02-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:

-Cut out some strips for DD's quilt. (I got sick of making the baby's quilt, so I moved on to an Irish chain quilt I started making for DD a long time ago. Inefficient of me, but oh well.)

-Came back and did some more work on the quilt, piecing and cutting. I've completed five or six nine-patches now, and am thrilled to report that by adopting a rather less lassez-faire attitude than usual, I have actually managed to make the corners largely match up. This is a minor triumph; quilting is not my strong point, and I usually get bored with measuring seam allowances and say "Ehh, she'll be right" halfway through, and then spend the rest of the project going "Were these seams sewn by a monkey? HOW did it get so skew-wiff?!" and cursing at the sky.

You should join Handmade Holidays 2012 and the 52 Project Challenge 2012. Support groups to get these projects done! Nothing like accountability to kick your butt into gear. :-) And I do the same things about the seams and getting it all to line up! I guess cutting blocks "close enough" to the correct size may not be the most accurate approach after all. :-)

#262 of 1361 Old 01-02-2012, 11:17 AM

So far today I've - 

- cut up a whole chicken - thighs and breast for the freezer, carcass for the freezer for stock and wings added to a package of wings for lunch.

- put hot wings in the crock pot for lunch. 

- made my 52 week craft challenge list. 

Need to package up some seed trades and do some breakfast baking today. Other than that, low key over here. 

#263 of 1361 Old 01-02-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
You should join Handmade Holidays 2012 and the 52 Project Challenge 2012. Support groups to get these projects done! Nothing like accountability to kick your butt into gear. :-)

Curse you! I joined the 52 Project Challenge. You've gone and messed up my New Year's Resolution plan now. :p

Quote:
And I do the same things about the seams and getting it all to line up! I guess cutting blocks "close enough" to the correct size may not be the most accurate approach after all. :-)

Heh. I was a terrible seamstress as a kid, because my seams would veer drunkenly right and left and I'd convince myself it'd all magically become straight and beautiful in the end. Took me years to realise that nope, that doesn't happen. :p My sewing has become dramatically better since I've made a conscious effort to be painstakingly accurate, but quilting takes that to a whole 'nother level. My mother, who is naturally neat and accurate at that sort of thing, always does beautiful quilts. And I've been wailing to her for years, "How do you get all the squares to match up? What's the secret?", whereupon she gives me a puzzled, pitying look and just says "You have to be very careful and take your time". I thought she was holding out on me and had some magic trick, but now I see she was probably right after all. Darn. :p

#264 of 1361 Old 01-02-2012, 04:05 PM

Hahahaha I just saw you over there. Dang, you put together quite a list too! And yeah, I need to learn how to slow down. I wish I was one of those people who just do a whole awesome project that comes out perfectly in like, thirty minutes. My husband is always telling me "practice makes perfect" and he's probably right. So is your mom. Sigh. I guess they have shops for people like us. :-) Eh, but what would be the fun of that?

#265 of 1361 Old 01-02-2012, 04:37 PM

DID IT!  The bathroom is retiled.  My back is killing me but it's done.  The leak is fixed and I put in new threading.  Took me a bit longer than I expected.  When I got started I didn't realize the enormity of the mold from water leaking behind the wall.  But it's fixed... and I'm happy.  

#266 of 1361 Old 01-03-2012, 03:03 AM

Yay! How hard is retiling? I love the idea of doing home renovation/decorating stuff myself, but the most I've done is painting walls.

Today I did some more work on DD's quilt, and went shopping. I got groceries, some more quilt fabric (on deep discount, yay!), some garden stuff and a whole lot of paint chips. Then visited at Mum's house for a while, and made dinner. That was about it, plus some minor housework - meant to do more, but I fell asleep when putting the baby to bed, by accident. Oops.

#267 of 1361 Old 01-03-2012, 06:03 AM

It's not hard at all!  My 8 year old helped with one bathroom.  She's very methodical and kind of ocd about perfect placement.  Patching up botched work is hard.  I took me longer than I expected due to cutting out the concrete board for the bathroom and all the sealing that I had to do.  Honestly if you buy the premixed grout and the tiles you really like it's a lot of fun.  My method:

- smear the premixed grout, run it over with the trowel

- place the tiles with spacer ( cheap)

- smear grout over that

- wipe it down with a wet sponge and move on

Quote:

Yay! How hard is retiling? I love the idea of doing home renovation/decorating stuff myself, but the most I've done is painting walls.

Today I did some more work on DD's quilt, and went shopping. I got groceries, some more quilt fabric (on deep discount, yay!), some garden stuff and a whole lot of paint chips. Then visited at Mum's house for a while, and made dinner. That was about it, plus some minor housework - meant to do more, but I fell asleep when putting the baby to bed, by accident. Oops.

#268 of 1361 Old 01-03-2012, 06:38 AM

Today I'm painting the floor in the entry way.  It's this old ugly wood crap that I've sanded and fixed too many times.  So now I say screw IT!  And it's an aqua color.  I started last night and Boy the cat jumped out from the laundry room and walked on it.  He left some paw prints.  I'm leaving them.  It's too cute to paint over.  He then walked it all over my newly done floors... and again I'm leaving that even though it's easy to fix.  My garage has my kids foot prints from when they were little.  DH gave them paints and they painted their feed and walked all over the place.  At first I was annoyed but now I'm happy he did it.  I love going out there and seeing their pudgy little toed feet all over the place.

I'm also finishing the walls in the entry way and I think that should be about it for now.  

#269 of 1361 Old 01-04-2012, 02:56 AM

Today I went to TWO different markets do do grocery shopping and DS didn't fuss one bit.  He hate-hate-hates being in his car seat, and it's usually a big ordeal to go anywhere with him lately.   He was so calm, though.  I also made arrangements to have my medical records transferred to my new doctor's office and made an appointment, went through some bills, and cleaned out the fridge.  Then I made my first eggplant parmesian and it was wonderful!  the day was great up until I decided to have a huge scoop of ice cream for dessert... it totally wrecked my guts. 

#270 of 1361 Old 01-04-2012, 06:59 AM

Yesterday I made two coffee cakes (one for the freezer). Today so far... it's been a bit hectic getting ready to start work here in a bit. Not a good morning really, so we'll have to see how the day shapes up. Oh - I did remember to put something in the fridge to defrost for dinner! Italian sausages. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page