Burgundy and Yellow 0 0%
Red and Yellow (assuming red is different from scarlet) 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-22-2011, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Dd is going to be Hermione Granger for Halloween. I've promised to knit her a Gryffindor scarf. The problem is, I can't figure out what the colors really are -- the books say 'Scarlet and Gold', the movies seem to be doing 'Burgundy/Maroon and Gold'.

And if it's scarlet, what color is that exactly?

Can I use yellow instead of gold?

I need to get started on this scarf -- it won't take that long, but I'm back to teaching next week and it's going to be a struggle to fit it all in.

Oh, and I've got red and yellow yarn already, and have knitted two scarves for stuffed animals with that.

And if it's Burgundy/Maroon and Gold, I'm going to be constantly reminded of my alma mater (the University of Minnesota) and be thinking "Go Gophers!" the whole time.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2011, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is what my DD wants to be for Halloween as well, so I've been contemplating the same question.  I'm interpreting scarlet as a deep red- as opposed to a bright red, and combining that with gold.  

Old 09-22-2011, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Any combination of colors you described is going to read as a Gryffindor scarf to your DD -- she'll love it. smile.gif

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 09-22-2011, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I had to buy one for my daughter on short notice last year (for a party) - it was maroon and gold.  It actually looked almost purple to me but everyone got what it was, so I guess deep, deep maroon is your best bet.  If you google, you'll see bazillions of examples.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)

you can buy one if you don't have time to knit it.

Ours were burgundy and gold. (both my kids have gone as Gryffindors for multiple Halloweens)  but the yarn you already have is fine.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 09-22-2011, 05:14 PM

Here's 2 knit patterns with one for younger witchs and another for older ones. It also includes brand colors for yarn.

http://diyfashion.about.com/od/diyaccessories/qt/How_Gryffindor.htm

I think burgandy or maroon with gold would be best and most match the movie.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

If she's a big fan of the movies, too, google for images so you can match it. I'm not a knitter, so I bought one last year for our Harry Potter birthday. DD1 loves it. I also got her a ....well, what we in the South call a toboggan, but a hat not a sled. I think other folks call it a toque. Does it have another name? Beanie? Knit winter hat? It was not true to the movie or the book, but I thought it would probably get a lot of use in the winter and it has. 

http://www.amazon.com/Elope-LU2365-Gryffindor-House-Beanie/dp/B000XEVDTK/ref=pd_sim_t1

http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Gryffindor-House-Purple/dp/B0006GYLOE/ref=pd_sim_t1

(the copy says "purple and gold", but it's really maroon or burgundy, definitely not purple)

The fact is, in the movies, the scarf changes. In the earlier movies it's more red and yellow and in the later movies it's more maroon and gold.

Early movie knitting page -- http://ivete_net.tripod.com/Knitting/hpknitting.htm

Later movie knitting page -- http://torontoknitcafe.wordpress.com/2011/06/29/knitting-harry-potter/ .

So go whichever way you want and your dd wants.

Have fun!!

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
Old 09-23-2011, 08:40 AM

somebody's got one on ravelry too....she describes that hogwarts scarves have 19 stripes.. it sounds correct to me ;)

if you look at the projects people made they used all kinds of colors, gold and yellow both. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Old 09-23-2011, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Well, the judge (i.e. dd) has decided: Maroon and gold, with big stripes (not the little ones in later movies). This weekend I'll look for yarn.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
Old 09-23-2011, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I voted burgundy and gold but too late, I guess. 

I've started a Weasley sweater for dd - I'm almost finished the back. She picked out a tweedy yarn that is closer to a raspberry colour rather than a burgundy, but it's in striking distance of the colour family, and I will replace the "H" with her initial in gold. It's knitting up pretty quickly. 

Good luck with the scarf! 

Old 09-24-2011, 02:18 PM

Is any part of the costume going to be store-bought?  Because I've noticed the Gryffindor colors are a little off in store-bought costumes.  So, if you are knitting a scarf but will buy a tie, I'd take a look that them first to make sure the colors match.

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

User Tag List