do you believe in magic/magick? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 09-23-2011, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i should probably put this in spirituality, but i don't necessarily equate the two (plus i wanted to kvetch about dh)....

so i'm reading these books, which are like harry potter, but aren't.  in which the characters learn magic (and disassociated from religion/spirituality).  i am fascinated, and have been all my life with this.  so i DO totally, absolutely, positively believe that humans can tap in to forces that exist and learn to manipulate reality.  and it's awesome that i can disclose this to people who don't know me IRL because i wanted to talk to dh about it and he acted like this was pretty much the stupidest thing ever.  and said so, too.  angry.gif

what do you guys think about it?  do your significant others agree?  is this something too weird to talk about in your circle of friends? 

(and i have friends who believe in practicing more formalized goddessy things, but that's not really how i see it, so i don't talk to them about it either, because sometimes their approach seems.. silly.. and now i'm just like dh).  IS it silly?  i KNOW it's a cultural thing.  maybe i should just move to iceland

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#2 of 21 Old 09-23-2011, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

In our home nothing is impossible.  Magic good and bad can be real.  I do believe it is and DH does as well.  He's more interested than I am, however I keep a close eye out for things that can be bad.  DH frequents LunaticOutpost, another forum Not sure what his name is this week, however If you look you will probably find him. 

Also I think believing in some things and not others is odd.  That's just me, though.  How can anything be definite?  I've heard people say they don't believe in magic because it goes against the teachings of their church.  Magic is brought up in the bible.  So how can anyone believe in the bible and not believe in Magic?  I know that's out there but so many things are dismissed because someone chooses not to believe in it.  True or not.  Aliens, the illuminati and anything Esoteric. 

No you're not silly.

#3 of 21 Old 09-23-2011, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

No, not at all. 

#4 of 21 Old 09-23-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post
 humans can tap in to forces that exist and learn to manipulate reality.

I don't believe that people can manipulate reality by tapping into some force.  I absolutely do think that the human brain can do amazing things and often we are not realizing our full potential but to me it is not magic.

I don't think you are weird, stupid or silly for your beliefs even if it is not what I believe. I could be wrong and you could be right.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#5 of 21 Old 09-23-2011, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

No, I don't believe in magic. But I would not tell my husband his idea is stupid. 

Hopefully your dh can disagree with you kindly and respectfully.  He said he thinks magic is stupid, he didn't say you are stupid, right?  I know, that's not a big distinction. 

Quote:
sometimes their approach seems.. silly.. and now i'm just like dh.  IS it silly?

Pretty interesting, isn't it??   

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#6 of 21 Old 09-23-2011, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

technically, his words were, we shouldn't discuss this.  it just makes you sound stupid.  fencing.gif to be fair, though, i KNOW he doesn't like to talk about stuff like that.  i was just waxing enthusiastic about the stupid books, which ARE fiction.  sometimes the unicorns run away with me.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#7 of 21 Old 09-23-2011, 06:40 PM

This is the kind of argument DH and I would probably have. He is all science and I am all intuition. It's funny how opposites attract.

I do believe though, that when you focus your intentions and send them out into the universe, the universe responds. Call that magic, or anything else you like, but I do believe it.

#8 of 21 Old 09-23-2011, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I think the idea that you might have a completely different belief about the fundamentals of life can be really alarming in a relationship.  So if this is coming out of the blue, maybe that's why he reacted so rudely.

journeymom likes this.
#9 of 21 Old 09-24-2011, 04:39 AM

DH and I are very different in our beliefs, he needs proof for everything while I believe anything can be possible.  ANYTHING.  However after almost 12 years we're both a good mix of science and belief in the unknown and all it's possibilites.  I have a hard time with people who have firm beliefs with no proof now.  I'm not talking about religion here, thats a whole nother bag.  I'm talking about not believing in something just because you can't imagine it or just because you can't see it.  I can't wait for my cloak of invisibility!

With so many can'ts and impossibles out there, I stick with Shel's sweet poem...

Listen to Mustn'ts, child, listen to the Don'ts.
Listen to the Shouldn'ts, the Impossibles, the Won'ts.
Listen to the Never Haves, then listen close to me.
Anything can happen, child, Anything can be.

-Shel Silverstein
cparkly likes this.
#10 of 21 Old 09-24-2011, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post

I think the idea that you might have a completely different belief about the fundamentals of life can be really alarming in a relationship.  So if this is coming out of the blue, maybe that's why he reacted so rudely.

Ha.  One time we passed a car with a kayak strapped to the roof and I mentioned that it might be nice to be the kind of people who went camping and kayaking on the weekend and ended with him yelling WHO ARE YOU, I DID NOT MARRY THIS PERSON.  Hee. 

Also, I am currently in the process of embroidering Listen To the Mustn'ts on various things for my daughter and nieces for Christmas.  I love that.

I do not have any belief in magic or psychics or fairies or The Secret or ghosts or anything like that.  None of it rings true for me.  However, I do enjoy reading about other people who do and their accounts of brushes with those types of things - that's very interesting to me.  I also like reading about different religions.  Essentially, I just like reading about other people who think differently from me, and how and why they arrived there.

#11 of 21 Old 09-24-2011, 09:50 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:

technically, his words were, we shouldn't discuss this.  it just makes you sound stupid.  fencing.gif to be fair, though, i KNOW he doesn't like to talk about stuff like that.  i was just waxing enthusiastic about the stupid books, which ARE fiction.  sometimes the unicorns run away with me.

That was rude of him. 

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#12 of 21 Old 09-24-2011, 01:59 PM

Nope, not even a little bit.

#13 of 21 Old 09-24-2011, 02:36 PM

Why no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovebuggy View Post

Nope, not even a little bit.

#14 of 21 Old 09-24-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

Also I think believing in some things and not others is odd.  That's just me, though.  How can anything be definite?  I've heard people say they don't believe in magic because it goes against the teachings of their church.  Magic is brought up in the bible.  So how can anyone believe in the bible and not believe in Magic?

I think sometimes people misuse "I don't believe in" when they actually mean "I don't support/condone".  Like, they might believe that magic exists and that some people practice it, but their spiritual  beliefs prohibit them from exploring it themselves.

#15 of 21 Old 09-24-2011, 02:51 PM

Or maybe to them denying/ not believing is the same thing as not condoning. 

#16 of 21 Old 09-24-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:

what do you guys think about it?  do your significant others agree?  is this something too weird to talk about in your circle of friends? 

(and i have friends who believe in practicing more formalized goddessy things, but that's not really how i see it, so i don't talk to them about it either, because sometimes their approach seems.. silly.. and now i'm just like dh).  IS it silly?  i KNOW it's a cultural thing.  maybe i should just move to iceland

No, I don't think it's silly at all, nor do I think you are stupid for entertaining the idea. Who knows, you might be a Pagan in your deepest self winky.gif Which I am, for fair disclosure. Yes, I believe in magic(k). So, though, does my sweet true love, and he's as Catholic as can be. His pov, though, is he doesn't really like to talk about it or acknowledge it. I guess he's one of those that believes but isn't sure if he does (or should) condone.

I think, though, about how you view your goddessy friends' approach is perfectly normal. I have experienced "woowoo" things. I saw someone's, I dunno, astral body I guess you would say, for one instance, and I saw my son's aura when he was a baby-- I have never done either of these things before or since. But I totally often poo-poo other peoples' experiences as if they're bunk (only in my head, though, not out loud). Why is that? Why is my experience more valid than someone else's? I wonder if mine, should I talk about it (and I don't, often), sounds just as silly as other people's? Maybe that's why I don't tell people about them?

And I have performed some powerful spells, as well. I have manifested amazing things. I still stand in awe of them, and every time, I experience unbelief, and "wow, that worked!", and things like that lol.gif

At any rate. Yes, there's magic. Not Harry Potter magic. My son was so dismayed to think that that kind of magic is only movie-magic and that real magick actually takes work, and concentration, and isn't as fun or showy as TV. He's decided it isn't real. He may or may not discover that it is. Belief is a whole big part of it, I think.

But books and movies-- those are WAY too much fun, don't you think? Wouldn't it be killer to live in Hogwarts and take those classes and be able to do that kind of magic? Which is why authors write like they do. It is so, so fun to entertain our imaginations orngbiggrin.gif

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#17 of 21 Old 09-24-2011, 05:05 PM

for fun:

http://fliiby.com/file/857946/39o3f7yveo.html

(BIg Bang clip)

#18 of 21 Old 09-24-2011, 07:51 PM

To answer the question:

I think I am a little psychic, I think ghosts probably exist (and many people I know are convinced they do)...I am open to a lot of things.  I do not dismiss the idea magic may work - but I have not experienced it.

Every couple of months I try and move something with my mind - no luck, lol.

I also try to envision lottery numbers with no luck (universe.... I swear I will be a good steward!)

I have some faith in positive energy healing - never to the point where I would ignore medical care - but I will rub my hands together and place them on sick family members and try to vibe healing light into them.  I have no idea if it works but it makes me feel better.

I also have a great respect for herbs, which is tied in some ways to witch-craft.

#19 of 21 Old 09-25-2011, 05:00 AM

See Hildare, you're not alone.  We're all Crazy!  No matter how much I know about magick I won't ever try it.  I honestly don't think I could ever have the right frame of mind.  I have way too many outside influences to be able to focus.  DH really has healing hands.  In the right state of mind he's capable of what it feels like removing negative physical energy that has manifested itself as pain.  I'm always in a lot of pain, his touch can take most of it away. 

#20 of 21 Old 09-25-2011, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post

Yes.  This is what happened with dh and me.  Maybe 5 years after we got married I started going to church, eventually got baptized, had our kids baptized. This wasn't dh's thing at all, in fact he was escaping the religion of his parents. He was cooperative some what.  But we finally had a long conversation about it and he said frankly he was baffled and upset by my church going, I wasn't the woman he dated and married, he thought he was losing me. huh.gif  I hadn't thought of it that way.  Poor guy.  For a variety of reasons I did stop going. 

The thing is, it's not just that it was a new idea I was pursuing.  It was an idea that he could not respect. So he was distressed that his wife was getting deeper and deeper involved in a whole way of thinking that he actively disdains.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#21 of 21 Old 09-25-2011, 04:09 PM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyzombiecat View Post

I don't believe that people can manipulate reality by tapping into some force.  I absolutely do think that the human brain can do amazing things and often we are not realizing our full potential but to me it is not magic.

Same here. I think that things attributed to supernatural forces have just not yet been explained by science. In some cases, they have been explained by science but people are unaware of the facts or refuse to acknowledge them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

I've heard people say they don't believe in magic because it goes against the teachings of their church.  Magic is brought up in the bible.  So how can anyone believe in the bible and not believe in Magic?

Disclaimer: the following is my opinion

In my experience, when Christians say they don't believe in magic, what they mean is that that the practice of magic by humans is not allowed. Yes, magic is in the Bible. It's performed by their god. When humans play with "magic" it means they're trying to be like God. The Biblical God does not want humans to be like Him....that's why he forbid them the fruit of knowledge.

OP, I don't think you're stupid. But when I encounter "believers" of any sort, I have a really hard time listening to them talk. Because I can't chime in and contribute to the conversation in a positive fashion, since I don't believe what they believe. Yet if I contribute what I believe, it's often seen as a slam against their beliefs, even if it's not mean that way. It's like how some people get defensive if you even mention that you homeschool, because they take it to mean you look down on them for sending their kids to school. Sometimes it's easier to just keep quiet and hope the subject changes.

As for our circle of friends, I'm only close to a few people who are spiritual/religious/magickal in any fashion. All the rest of my friends are humanists/atheists, agnostic, or apathetic in regard to such things. I have one Pagan friend, two Christian friends, and one Jewish friend. One Christian friend is actually very open and likes to discuss religion or lack thereof on occasion, so sometimes we chat about what we believe and neither of us mock the other. The other is sort of a radical Christian....she thinks most of the trappings of the Bible are baloney and focuses on Christ's teachings. My Pagan friend is very defensive about her beliefs and you basically can't say anything without her getting all dramatic and emotional. My Jewish friend is comfortable with herself and doesn't care what anybody else thinks. My spouse and I share the same ideas about spirituality.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page