Flowers for a man - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-28-2011, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do men like flowers for their birthday? My dad's birthday is Sunday and no I haven't done anything for it yet. He does not live close to us. So are flowers a good idea or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 09-28-2011, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I usually go the balloon route with my husband. I'd send them to his office for his birthday. As for flowers, it depends on the man. I got a nice orchid for my boss on his birthday, and it fit him. Another option that most guys love are gift baskets of food or other goodies.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#3 of 14 Old 09-28-2011, 05:34 PM

I agree that it depends on the guy but I suppose anything that says "I'm thinking of you." would be a nice gesture.

I would be more likely to give my dh flowers than my dad. My dad would probably like a food or drink type gift or just a card more than flowers.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#4 of 14 Old 09-28-2011, 07:11 PM

I don't give flower arrangements to my dad, but I do give him plants that he can replant in his flower garden (he's a great gardener!).  I usually get these things from 1-800Flowers because he lives far away and and they deliver fairly quickly.  For a couple of years, I got him roses that could be replanted and he loved them.  It gives him something to do and tinker with plus he gets pleasure from it for years.

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#5 of 14 Old 09-29-2011, 12:43 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Edible Incredibles .....  foodstuff's   yummmy   google them!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#6 of 14 Old 09-29-2011, 01:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

My dad would prefer a living plant in a pot. Or chocolate. My DH would just prefer chocolate. :p But he's your dad... if you think he'd like cut flowers, go for it!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#7 of 14 Old 09-29-2011, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Does he like spicy food?  A hot pepper plant would be a nice mix of plant and guy food :) 

DD 2/08
#8 of 14 Old 09-29-2011, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

You could send him some steaks.  DH loves it when my mom sends him flowers for his birthday.  He was pretty jealous this year when I got a pot of tulips and he got food.  All men are different.  So if you think he likes flowers then send them. 

#9 of 14 Old 09-29-2011, 03:24 PM

DH said he would not want flowers for his birthday, because he thinks they are too expensive for what you get.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#10 of 14 Old 09-29-2011, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I had a really funky looking, modern art-type bouquet delivered to my dh at work once. Ages ago.  I loved it, and he didn't object.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

DH said he would not want flowers for his birthday, because he thinks they are too expensive for what you get.

Good point. 

There's always Harry & David delivered. Yummy fruits, nuts and candies.  http://www.harryanddavid.com/gifts/store/home___?ref=google_search_tm&cm_mmc=Google-_-TM---Harry-and-David---Exact-Match_Harry-and-David---Exact-Match-_-harry-and-david-_-Exact_3916770724&gclid=CN_3_dLPw6sCFRAaQgod2Ba21w

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#11 of 14 Old 09-29-2011, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

That's my husband's feeling usually, too. He likes to buy me orchids, because the flowers usually last a month or so, and the plant lasts after that. The idea of Harry & David's sounds great! I sent Hickory Farms a couple times to my cousin when he was in Iraq, and it was a big hit.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#12 of 14 Old 09-29-2011, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

It really depends on the man I think. I get my DH dark red roses for his birthday most years because he really likes them and enjoys having flowers in the house. I'd never give my dad or my brother flowers for their birthday because they're more in the "too expensive" camp (although they do buy flowers for others). I like the food hamper or plant suggestions.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#13 of 14 Old 09-29-2011, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:

I kinda feel that way too. bag.gif I mean, I like flowers, and I appreciate the thought when DH buys them for me (not too often nowadays, for money reasons); but for the money, a jar of fancy pesto or some vanilla beans, or even a voucher for the fabric store, would be a lot more "me".

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#14 of 14 Old 09-29-2011, 11:09 PM

I usually send something edible. www.ediblearrangements or amazon has gift baskets (like cheeses and things like that) that you can get shipped quickly.

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page