tell me about this "barefoot shoes" trend... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-04-2011, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i'm kind of intrigued but have only seen a few people wearing them.  there was a nytimes article today, so i am wondering if any of you mamas have them and what's the story? 

i won't be running anytime soon, but am curious.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2011, 01:41 PM

I do not run ANYWHERE but I have had them for a few years :) 

The reason I bought them was because I just hate wearing shoes and figured I'd give them a try. I love mine! They are perfectly stinky and light and airy and I am going to be buying another pair as soon as I figure out which I want. 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
Old 10-04-2011, 02:24 PM

I have the five fingers shoes love them with a passion.  I love cute shoes but have hard to fit feet along with pltar fascitis and some foot neuropathy.  Just about anything besides a birkenstock is a no go, but these babies are great.  I'm not a runner but have gone hiking in them almost every day since I bought them.  I can feel the ground, it's amazing my fascitis has flared once and I feel really stable and physically confidant in them.  Do a little research, find out what type you like a go for it!

Old 10-04-2011, 02:25 PM

I DO NOT run, anywhere. ever. But I got a pair a month ago and LOVE them. Ideally I'd like to just be barefoot everywhere but since that's not really possible, these are the next best thing. Plus both my parents have serious foot issues that I'd like to avoid. And I worry so much about my kids' shoes being as close to barefoot as possible, I figured I owe it to myself as well.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

Old 10-04-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithsstuff View Post

I have the five fingers shoes love them with a passion.  I love cute shoes but have hard to fit feet along with pltar fascitis and some foot neuropathy.  Just about anything besides a birkenstock is a no go, but these babies are great.  I'm not a runner but have gone hiking in them almost every day since I bought them.  I can feel the ground, it's amazing my fascitis has flared once and I feel really stable and physically confidant in them.  Do a little research, find out what type you like a go for it!

This so interesting because I also have plantar fascitis (sp?) and it's always worse when I wear really flat shoes. My dh loves his barefoot shoes and is always trying to get me to buy some, but this has held me back. Hmmm....

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
Old 10-04-2011, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

did you know that i think those shoes were 'invented' during the making of LOTR.

the actors needed real feet looking shoes to do all the barefeet scenes.

i dont own a pair. my friend does - 4 different pairs along with socks - and he loves them. but he ran with the non running shoes and they kinda fell apart.

i wish they would make prototypes of the ones worn on set. i would love to own one of them. esp hairy men's feet shoes. i would totally buy a pair.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 10-04-2011, 05:05 PM

I own a pair and I really like them. They are not for every foot, but if they fit well they can be absolutely wonderful. I am not a runner, but I wear them for walks, hikes, around town, at work. There is nothing pretty about them, but they feel great!

If you are curious and want to try a pair I recommend buying them at REI if you have one nearby. They have a 100% satisfaction guarantee there, so if they do not work for your foot type you can return them.

If you plan on running in them I recommend reading this article: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/american-council-on-exercise-evaluates-benefits-of-vibram-fivefingers-shoes-for-barefoot-runners-130713248.html
Old 10-04-2011, 05:10 PM

I run and plan to try them eventually. I've heard really good things about them from other runners, though I understand they take some getting used to. I do wonder how practical they are in cold/icy weather. My toes get cold easily and I'd hate to risk frostbite on a run! Are any of them waterproof?

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

Old 10-04-2011, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

i don't have a pair but both DH and DD1 do and they love them. DH is never ever barefoot, he wears these around like house like slippers. DD1 hates most shoes, she loves them. She uses them like most kids would use sneakers, she especially likes them for rock climbing. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:15 PM

I seriously want some but they are too $$$. I don't really run these days but even just to wear walking/hiking/etc... so weird, I was never a barefoot person until I stopped wearing shoes in our house a year or two ago, and now I just want nothing to do with shoes out of the house either! I love feeling the ground... broken glass, not so much... Maybe someone will want to buy me a pricey Christmas gift!!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Old 10-04-2011, 07:36 PM

This post has been removed due to privacy reasons.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

My sister and her husband and kids really like them.  I haven't tried them myself, but it's hard to imagine it would be comfortable to have each toe in its own little case.  It seems like it would push your toes too far apart and irritate them.  I don't really get why having the toes separated is good, or how that makes it more like being barefoot.  When I'm actually barefoot, my toes all touch each other.  My sister says it's good for the toes to be able to move independently, but my toes can't move independently from each other anyway, even if I'm barefoot; I have to move them all as a unit.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

The idea behind them is that they allow your feet to fall naturally as you step down and lift off.  However since we've always kept our feet in shoes it's difficult to retrain your feet.  If you already have problems with your feet it's not a good idea to wear them for running.  But it's a very interesting concept.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

did you know that i think those shoes were 'invented' during the making of LOTR.

the actors needed real feet looking shoes to do all the barefeet scenes.

i dont own a pair. my friend does - 4 different pairs along with socks - and he loves them. but he ran with the non running shoes and they kinda fell apart.

i wish they would make prototypes of the ones worn on set. i would love to own one of them. esp hairy men's feet shoes. i would totally buy a pair.

YES!!! YES!!! hobbit feets.. you have no idea how appealing that is to me too!

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Old 10-08-2011, 12:11 AM

I have 3 pairs.  My dh does too.  I have the waterproof ones (apparently good for running in snowy weather.....I'll get to try them way to soon).  I also have some for running that I just LOVE.  They feel so fantastic on my feet when I run.  My everyday pair are the leather ones.  Meant for yoga, but I just wear them everywhere.  It is like being barefoot, but with protection.  I am a big fan.

My dh loves them too.  He has running ones, hiking ones, and some other kind that he likes for the water mostly.  He wears them to work too as he was in an accident and crushed his foot and fractured an ankle.  He hasn't been able to stand on hard floors for long periods of time since then, but since wearing his 5 fingers to work he has noticed considerably less pain.  They are really great.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:26 AM

lurk.gif

I don't know if I could get into it, but I've thought about trying them.  maybe I'll stop by REI :)

mischievous.gif
Old 10-08-2011, 10:58 PM

For those of you intrigued by the idea but turned off by the ones with toes (Vibram/Five Fingers) take a look at the ones made by Merrell.  I have a pair of the "Pace" ones, bought them this summer, and am seriously in love!  I have a foot injury (probably tore a tendon over a year ago) and "regular" shoes cause pain and make me limp.  Walking barefoot or in the "barefoot" shoes, no noticeable limp and no pain.  It's part of the puzzle for me, as other things also effect my foot but it has made a huge difference.  So much so that I am about to buy a different pair that's a little warmer for the winter.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en/Women-Footwear-Shoes-Barefoot

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

Old 10-09-2011, 12:03 AM

A friend of mine's husband is something of a guru on this topic--he not only runs barefoot but advocates barefoot living.  google can give you some very interesting and scholarly evidence as to why barefoot living is healthier for your feet, posture, immune systems, etc etc...  Here's one good source:  http://www.barefooters.org/

The Vibram shoes seem more geared toward athletics and such, but you can also get Soft Star shoes or other more natural alternatives and still get the same effect, if bare feet on burning concrete isn't quite your cuppa-tea just yet ;)  It's basically the same concept behind Robeez and other soft soled shoes for babies and toddlers...just extended to all ages :)  

I don't yet have a pair, but I really want a pair of Soft Stars for myself--and the whole family as well.  We all wear as minimal footwear as we can find, which is usually flipflops.  Yes, I know that runs counter to what everyone's mother told them about flipflops ruining their feet--but I just don't believe it.  

I wore Earth shoes (negative Kalso heel) for five years, and at first they were heaven (providing counterbalance to the heels and clogs I wore as a teen/young adult)--but after five years, I found that I was actually having weird joint and ligament issues--that went away when I wore my yard shoes (aka flipflops) or just went barefoot.  Today I go barefoot as often as I can. =)

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

Old 10-09-2011, 06:37 PM

Believe it or not, some of us find the VFFs to be a bit *restrictive* on toe spread.  ;)  They do stretch a bit, though, so it's all good.  I went barefoot for a year (aside from really cold/wet winter days) prior to buying them and my toes went from curled up and cramped to wide spread and flexible.  

I really like VFFs.  I have Performas (which I do wear outdoors though it wears the leather faster) and KSOs.  I wanted KSO Treks, but the store didn't have any in stock the day I went to buy some.  I'm currently thinking about winter.  Going barefoot alleviated many of my foot problems (including but not limited to chronic long-term plantar fasciitis).  Going back in regular shoes last winter was horrible.  

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:14 PM

I wouldnt call it a trend, people have been wearing minimalist footwear a lot longer than they've been wearing Nikis... In our house we wear traditional huaraches with elasticised leather laces. (Luna Sandals makes these, or you can get a kit and make your own) since the five fingers don't work for me (my second toe is longer than my big toe and VFFs aren't shaped that way) and my husband finds them restrictive. 

I suffered with plantar fasciatis from the time I was 12 or so and on throughout high school. Expensive custom insoles, shoes all the times, being told my feet were basically defective and couldnt support themselves - I've experinced all the usually podiatric quackery. When I became pregnant with my first baby, I stopped wearing shoes almost completely and havent looked back. Despite *dire* warnings from my friends and family that I would ruin my feet (although, if I believed the podiatrists, then what was left to ruin??) my feet improved dramatically. Within a year I was no longer rubbing the soles of my feet against everything trying to soothe the horrible pain that I had needlessly endured for so long... It's been nearly four years now of spending about 80% of my waking hours barefoot. I can walk and run without the pain and my knees, hips and spine feel better than ever. My arches still pronate but I have learned that this is not a bad thing, it's actually a normal function of the foot. Where my arches used to touch the floor they are now raised up and strong. My feet are stronger and my life is better without shoes. 

When I need coverage I wear huaraches, sometimes with toe socks. Also minimalist flats are good, anything with a sole that is no more than a strip of suede will do.

I obsessively guard my childrens foot development, I have a responsibility to not let what happened to my feet happen to theirs. When family members push hard soled shoes they get a firm "no thank you!!" from me, thats for sure!

I really believe that hard soled shoes are so harmful on such a significant level. I think their damaging nature is ridiculously understated and I'm glad to see barefooting take off in the usa... Im actually a little obsessed with this topic since it resonates on a personal level :P sorry if this was wordy!

Old 10-09-2011, 09:01 PM

I literally like to run barefoot in the woods or the beach, and I always liked racing flats more than training shoes, so I'm pretty intrigued as I have no idea what these bearfoot shoes are.  Sounds sort of like yoga socks.  I'm checking out the links, now!

Busy keeping up with three children and an awful lot of chickens!

User Tag List