# of people viewing MDC comment - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 145 Old 10-25-2011, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post

Are the due date groups like this? I sometimes drop in the february because  im due late january, so am actually closer to feb than jan. Guess i wont be able to do that anymore....

Just to let you know, Feb DDC decided not to become a social group until we have to (after our babes are born), and even then, I doubt we will be private as most of the ladies voted NO to have it be a social group at all. I'm due Jan 29, and I pop back and forth between the two all the time.

I dont like that you cant comment on social groups without joining them. Someone recently asked a questions in their DDC about an external version and got no positive stories, so I was going to share my story with her and I couldnt comment. I guess I couldve pmed her, but it just seemed weird, "Hey, I was lingering about reading your business in a forum that Im not permitted to post in and I just wanted to let you know....."

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#122 of 145 Old 10-25-2011, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

Just to let you know, Feb DDC decided not to become a social group until we have to (after our babes are born), and even then, I doubt we will be private as most of the ladies voted NO to have it be a social group at all. I'm due Jan 29, and I pop back and forth between the two all the time.
I dont like that you cant comment on social groups without joining them. Someone recently asked a questions in their DDC about an external version and got no positive stories, so I was going to share my story with her and I couldnt comment. I guess I couldve pmed her, but it just seemed weird, "Hey, I was lingering about reading your business in a forum that Im not permitted to post in and I just wanted to let you know....."

That's really unfortunate.  It shouldn't be this way.  Theses social groups seem like a clever idea but they didn't grow organically from the actual users' needs and wants.  It's a bit like someone from the outside is guessing what would be useful, in a value-added kind of way.  "Did your old forum have these features? Hmm? Look, we've got cup holders!"

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#123 of 145 Old 10-25-2011, 09:09 AM

Hmmmm, I like the idea of social groups for say, things like (and Im about to ask for this to become a social group) The Skinny Babies Tribe because that gives the ability for people to start threads about different topics all under the assumption that their baby is a skinny baby. While there isnt enough activity to make it a forum, it would be good if it wasnt just one huge thread. Seriously, Im interested in natural body hair care, but Im just not going to read through 700 comments just to see if any mommas with greasy hair have had luck with apple cider vinegar. It would make a fantastic Social Group.

I however, completely agree when it comes to the DDC's. I think they are harder to find and less open now that they are social groups.

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#124 of 145 Old 10-25-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

Kama'aina, have you offed any chickens lately? Done any readings?  orngbiggrin.gif

ROTFLMAO.gifi totally misread this as "have you OFFERED any chickens lately? done any readings?"  and i was picturing kama'aina doing some poring over entrails to predict some future events. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#125 of 145 Old 10-25-2011, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

ROTFLMAO.gifi totally misread this as "have you OFFERED any chickens lately? done any readings?"  and i was picturing kama'aina doing some poring over entrails to predict some future events. 

Yes.  "offed any chickens" as in killed them.  Journeymom was remembering a thread a started a few years ago wondering if anyone knew anything about telling fortunes by reading entrails because we were getting ready to slaughter and butcher a couple dozen chickens and I was curious about extispicy. 

#126 of 145 Old 10-25-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:

Yeah I don't think it makes sense. It would make some sense maybe if it were 100% private (like SA maybe) but why let people read but not post? It makes no sense to me.

I was never part of a DDC here, I didn't even find MDC until after DS was born, but I like the idea of it. I just think the social groups are weird, it reminds me of cliques in high school for some reason...
*bejeweled* likes this.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#127 of 145 Old 10-25-2011, 03:20 PM

Right, I mean the DDC's and the official Tribes were pretty much already set up like a social group anyway- as in you could post multiple threads all under the same umbrella topic. You can post about your sciatic nerve pain with everyone making the assumption that you are 5-6 months pregnant because you are posting in the feb DDC. You can post about finding a ped with the assumption that there will be people from your area reading it. However, without social groups you just have big long threads for other things, that are currently "tribes". I think they just switched the DDCs over to Social Groups because they were going to use that format to be able to include new groups like "Skinny Babies" and "Hairy Mammas" and it was just easier to put them all in the same format. I do however, wish they that Social Groups couldnt be closed. That just makes no sense to me.
*bejeweled* likes this.

SIDS happens. 

#128 of 145 Old 10-25-2011, 06:02 PM

Social Groups=High School Cliques. You're right. That's the perfect analogy.
Honey693 likes this.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#129 of 145 Old 10-26-2011, 06:18 AM

Why are Social Groups closed?  I may not understand the system, but I don't see what the benefit would be.j

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#130 of 145 Old 10-27-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedenmomma View Post

Why are Social Groups closed?  I may not understand the system, but I don't see what the benefit would be.

There is none.  Not to mention, most people aren't going to click on "Groups" to find these groups.  If they linked it on the forum page (as if it were a forum) they would have a better chance of visibility. 

I also have to say, the "Most Popular Forums" function is useless and annoying.  I would love to know who is making these decision and what they think they are accomplishing.  I don't think forums need to be run as a democracy, but when you're making poor choice after poor choice, maybe it's time to start asking the members what they want.

journeymom, GuildJenn and Honey693 like this.
#131 of 145 Old 10-27-2011, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Why are Social Groups closed?  I may not understand the system, but I don't see what the benefit would be.j

Not to mention, if an experienced mom wants to throw in her two cents, she can't... cause the group is closed.
Honey693 likes this.
#132 of 145 Old 10-27-2011, 08:23 PM

i have huge issues with the social groups like DDC being closed and more and more general pregnancy questions are being asked just to folks social groups and not in the main "I'm Pregnant page, so the learning from the great membership is dining big time, i have mentioned it more than once but it seems to fall on deaf ears.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#133 of 145 Old 10-27-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

Not to mention, if an experienced mom wants to throw in her two cents, she can't... cause the group is closed.

I agree, I kind of thought they would be the same as the DDC in the forum but now it doesn't feel as much like a community.  This is my first baby and I really loved that I had my group of July moms but other moms would pop on every once in a while to offer advice.  I miss it, but maybe that's the nature of the DDC in general.  I guess I just don't like the private nature of the social groups and I'm a leader in one. 

#134 of 145 Old 10-27-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:

"Hey, I was lingering about reading your business in a forum that Im not permitted to post in and I just wanted to let you know....."

Totally!  sometimes I feel like I could really offer something useful but to have to ask permission to join a group just to make one comment makes me feel like a stalker.

#135 of 145 Old 10-28-2011, 07:01 AM

Yeah I'm a coleader in a group as well, it used to be a "finding your tribe" thread. So for us it is a great upgrade. But it's open to all and I would have fought to keep it like that of any suggested it be closed. I hope folks always feel free to join, I worry about where the social groups are headed.
I do think that the mods should tell folks that ddc groups need to be open to continue the exchange of info we have all come here for.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#136 of 145 Old 10-28-2011, 07:43 AM

More than anything else, my money is on the new format/server. It's REAL hard to navigate this place now. It's slow. It's hard to reply to threads. It's just, not a user-friendly forum experience anymore, you know? I still like MDC but I don't come over nearly as much as I used to. And if we went back to the old format or a new format that didn't suck? I'd start coming over a lot more.

D_McG and Honey693 like this.

caffix.gif
#137 of 145 Old 10-29-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kama'aina mama View Post

Yes.  "offed any chickens" as in killed them.  Journeymom was remembering a thread a started a few years ago wondering if anyone knew anything about telling fortunes by reading entrails because we were getting ready to slaughter and butcher a couple dozen chickens and I was curious about extispicy. 

so i was telepathically on the right track with my misreading!  we have chickens too, but it never really crossed my mind to read the entrails.. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#138 of 145 Old 10-29-2011, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

Social groups can be open or closed, but that is determined by the group lead/person who start the group.  Not us.  

DDCs will be able to be open after the standard time by making them groups. The forums get closed and archived.  We thought groups were a better option, as people usually went off MDC to go start the group once their DDCs closed.  Which no one else would have been able to comment on either. :)

I'm glad that TWWS is back up for everyone. Thanks for stopping by while it was down. winky.gif  lol.gif (tongue firmly in cheek)

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#139 of 145 Old 10-29-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL View Post

Social groups can be open or closed, but that is determined by the group lead/person who start the group.  Not us.  

We thought groups were a better option, as people usually went off MDC to go start the group once their DDCs closed. 

I didn't realize that the group leader was the one who decided about open/closed.  Thank you for clearing that up.

When you said that people "usually went off MDC to go start the group," where did they go?  Is this a Facebook thing?  I am not a Facebooker, so I wasn't sure if that was where they went.

Thank you.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#140 of 145 Old 10-29-2011, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Quote:

I didn't realize that the group leader was the one who decided about open/closed.  Thank you for clearing that up.

When you said that people "usually went off MDC to go start the group," where did they go?  Is this a Facebook thing?  I am not a Facebooker, so I wasn't sure if that was where they went.

Thank you.

Our DDC from last year went to Facebook.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#141 of 145 Old 10-29-2011, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Thank you.

Some went to yahoo groups, back when.  Mostly they go to Facebook now. 

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#142 of 145 Old 10-30-2011, 08:01 AM

I mostly stick with Facebook these days.  I pop in to mdc mainly for one thread/group.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#143 of 145 Old 10-30-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:

I'm glad that TWWS is back up for everyone. Thanks for stopping by while it was down. winky.gif 

I'm saving you a seat.

(Tongue on the roof of my mouth.)

#144 of 145 Old 10-30-2011, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kama'aina mama View Post

I'm saving you a seat.

(Tongue on the roof of my mouth.)

*snort*  You might be holding that seat for a long time. lol.gif

#145 of 145 Old 10-31-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:

*snort*  You might be holding that seat for a long time. lol.gif

It's electronic.  Doesn't take up much space.  No worries. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page