Is this the norm when u change a job? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 10-14-2011, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Dh is changing jobs. We will be out of medical insurance for the first 90 days of his new job. Is this the norm? Dh says it is. I am wondering how much we will be paying out of pocket because just for a sick visit for dd, it is at least $150-$200.

Let me make sure that my thoughts, words and actions are beneficial to the scene in which I find myself ~ Unknown
#2 of 19 Old 10-14-2011, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Some companies do that -- it's a probationary period with the new job.

Getting cobra from his current employeer can help, though it is expensive.

One solution is to make sure every one is all caught up going into this period, and use a low cost clinic if someone ends up needing a round of antibiotics during this time.

There are places in my city you can see a nurse practitioner for $40 cash if you have strep, an ear infection, etc.

Youngfrankenstein likes this.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#3 of 19 Old 10-14-2011, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm in Canada.  Here it depends on the company.  It's also less "critical" however as we have public health care, so the coverage that you go without is just for the cost of drugs, etc. not for actual care.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#4 of 19 Old 10-14-2011, 02:55 PM

It's not unusual. As a pp mentioned, COBRA is an option, especially if you have a family member with a medical condition that will likely need treatment. You can also purchase short-term "gap" insurance (you can find it on ehealthinsurance or through an agent) that will cover you for three months, but it may have a high deductible. It's a good option if you just want to be covered in case of a major illness or injury. 

#5 of 19 Old 10-15-2011, 01:09 AM

It has been the norm for every job dh has had.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#6 of 19 Old 10-15-2011, 05:21 AM

it has not been the norm for me, in my experience...  when i began the job i have currently, i was extremely outraged that i had a 30 day wait period for coverage to begin.  that was the first time in years of switching employers fairly frequently that i'd had a wait period at all.  90 days sounds extreme. 

are you in a position where you might apply for/ be eligible for some sort of state coverage for your kid only?  (where i am, there's medicaid but like in most states, something else a step up in income levels that will cover kids only... designed for working families so kids are covered; if you're having to wait a month for payroll, that might help you out some)

otherwise, i second what linda said about the public health department-- sliding scale based on income, but you can get antibiotics etc. there)

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#7 of 19 Old 10-15-2011, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. So, it sounds like it was negotiable and he didn't ask for it. I thought so, but maybe he doesn't know himself. I am not sure. I didn't fully understand what Linda was saying. I am about to ask her. i am a little ignorant about this, how do we get "state coverage" at least for dd? who shud i contact?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

it has not been the norm for me, in my experience...  when i began the job i have currently, i was extremely outraged that i had a 30 day wait period for coverage to begin.  that was the first time in years of switching employers fairly frequently that i'd had a wait period at all.  90 days sounds extreme. 

are you in a position where you might apply for/ be eligible for some sort of state coverage for your kid only?  (where i am, there's medicaid but like in most states, something else a step up in income levels that will cover kids only... designed for working families so kids are covered; if you're having to wait a month for payroll, that might help you out some)

otherwise, i second what linda said about the public health department-- sliding scale based on income, but you can get antibiotics etc. there)

Let me make sure that my thoughts, words and actions are beneficial to the scene in which I find myself ~ Unknown
#8 of 19 Old 10-15-2011, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I didn't understand what you meant by "everyone is all caught up??" I could just try calling dd's regular doctor and see if they would come down on the price since we are going to be uncovered? Or else, how would I go about finding a low cost clinic or do they advertise that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post

One solution is to make sure every one is all caught up going into this period, and use a low cost clinic if someone ends up needing a round of antibiotics during this time.

There are places in my city you can see a nurse practitioner for $40 cash if you have strep, an ear infection, etc.

#9 of 19 Old 10-15-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neera View Post

Thanks. So, it sounds like it was negotiable and he didn't ask for it. I thought so, but maybe he doesn't know himself. I am not sure. I didn't fully understand what Linda was saying. I am about to ask her. i am a little ignorant about this, how do we get "state coverage" at least for dd? who shud i contact? 

not necessarily-- it could depend on the insurer or just be the company policy.  (or he could have been hired with a probationary period and insurance not be given until that period is up.  frequently a probationary period is that length of time)

as far as state benefits go (you are in the states, yes?) contact the department of family and children's services, or just browse online on your state website for that department.  the not medicaid but state coverage plan for kids has a different name in each state.  in georgia, it's called "peachcare."  but they will have info on the family and children's services website, because if a family has too high an income for medicaid, they are supposed to recommend them for the other coverage.  you can also ask them (if you call) about health clinic/health departments, and they should be able to help you figure that out, too. 

i think what linda meant about being "all caught up" is if you vaccinate see if you can fit some of the needed vaxxes in before you lose coverage (and personally, i am one to stockpile antibiotics if i have a chance, so you could call in refills for anything you might have).  or take everyone in for a last minute checkup, etc. if you don't vax. 

```or pm me your location/anticipated state location and i will try to look for you, i am in need of somthing researchy to do atm.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#10 of 19 Old 10-16-2011, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neera View Post

Sorry, I didn't understand what you meant by "everyone is all caught up??" I could just try calling dd's regular doctor and see if they would come down on the price since we are going to be uncovered? Or else, how would I go about finding a low cost clinic or do they advertise that? 

What I meant was to be caught up on well baby visits, dental cleaning, etc. Everything that is regularly scheduled and not a crises. Only see a health care practitioner during that time period if someone is acutely sick.

(however, be carefully in planning those "getting caught up" visits. Our dental insurance covers a cleaning every 6 months, but if I got a cleaning 5  1/2 months after a previous cleaning, it would not be covered)

In my city, there are several options for low cost health care, including walk in clinics at Walgreen's. I'm not sure how to find these in another city -- may be check the yellow pages. If your family is reasonably healthy, none of you should need a doctor much for 3 months.

We always carry some kind of MAJOR insurance in case of an accident, but we have gone periods when we didn't have decent insurance for little things. At times, our health insurance has meant that in case some one had a major illness or accident, we wouldn't have to file bankruptcy, but realistically we were paying for things out of pocket because they deductible was so high. At times, we've found that having this type of coverage was cheaper than having COBRA.

As far as things being different if you DH had asked, I wouldn't count of that. Some times people can negotiate things, and sometimes they can't. Being upset with your DH about this will not help anything. He is doing the best he can to provide for you and your child. Work as team -- assume the best.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#11 of 19 Old 10-16-2011, 02:53 PM

Ugh - I am sorry - insurance is such a pain to deal with and such a necessity here.  It sounds like everyone has great suggestions and the only thing I have to add is to be careful about having a gap in insurance.  I know there are new laws coming into play soon and I really don't know much about them or when they start but for our insurance they will not cover certain 'conditions' if there has been a gap in coverage.  For my second pregnancy, I had not been covered for a year before I got pregnant, so my new insurance would not cover my pregnancy and we ended up having to pay for COBRA because the old insurance would cover my pregnancy.  Good Luck!

#12 of 19 Old 10-17-2011, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

I have to run but just wanted to acknowledge the replies and that I wasn't upset with DH. It's just that I have observed over the years that he likes to make quick decisions and he possibly did that but I haven't asked him or talked with him about this point again. I didn't want him to think I am nagging. I do know he wanted to leave his present job.

Quote:

As far as things being different if you DH had asked, I wouldn't count of that. Some times people can negotiate things, and sometimes they can't. Being upset with your DH about this will not help anything. He is doing the best he can to provide for you and your child. Work as team -- assume the best.

#13 of 19 Old 10-17-2011, 09:12 AM

I agree with Linda.  Here we have "walk-in" clinics at Walgreens and CVSs.  They run about $35 and can prescribe meds if you need them.  You can also get vaccinations at the health department for a small fee if you need to.  I think the 90 days will fly by and while we all can be faced with a medical crisis, it's probably not likely if everyone is normally healthy.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#14 of 19 Old 10-18-2011, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, asked the school nurse. She has let me know of a place. Dd does suffer from asthma but we are stocked up on her emergency med. and her maintenance med. one for now. I don't think the maintenace will last the 90 days though. But, I think she'll be ok. She was off it for a while to see how she was doing. She did fine but then the doctor decided we shud put her on it again since she was going to start school and be around other kids. Dh and I don't go to doctors for sick or any other visits but ended up going this year since it was pre-condition the insurance co. had for this year. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by hildare View Post

```or pm me your location/anticipated state location and i will try to look for you, i am in need of somthing researchy to do atm.

#15 of 19 Old 10-18-2011, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Will check Cvs and Walgreens. Thanks. I think so too. We shud be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngfrankenstein View Post

I agree with Linda.  Here we have "walk-in" clinics at Walgreens and CVSs.  They run about $35 and can prescribe meds if you need them.  You can also get vaccinations at the health department for a small fee if you need to.  I think the 90 days will fly by and while we all can be faced with a medical crisis, it's probably not likely if everyone is normally healthy.

#16 of 19 Old 10-18-2011, 02:15 PM

I have never had a waiting period on a new job.

I would at least look for some catastrophic health insurance to cover the gap. An injury or illness that develops during the wait could be financially devastating. You might also encounter problems with preexisting conditions like asthma not being covered by the new insurance I you are not continuously insured (though the details puke depend on the plan).

Mom to Kira March 2009
#17 of 19 Old 10-19-2011, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. The time is so short bfor he leaves the old job that we just will have to go with Cobra then. I'll have to talk to dh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin View Post

I have never had a waiting period on a new job.
I would at least look for some catastrophic health insurance to cover the gap. An injury or illness that develops during the wait could be financially devastating. You might also encounter problems with preexisting conditions like asthma not being covered by the new insurance I you are not continuously insured (though the details puke depend on the plan).

#18 of 19 Old 10-22-2011, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Update

Spoke to the HR person at the present co and learned that by law cos can only have u not covered for 60 days, not more. I've asked dh to talk to the new co's HR dept. to find out.

#19 of 19 Old 10-23-2011, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

That can't be correct, because companies are not legally obligated to provide insurance at all.  Please double-check before sending your husband off with inaccurate information.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page