Fluff: What do you refuse to buy at the grocery store? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 135 Old 10-25-2011, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For some reason, I always dump out half of the grapes when they are in those plastic net bags.  I guess I am trying to save money.  I don't know.  I have always done this, though we love grapes.

DH got groceries last week and I was like drool.gif because he brought home tons of grapes.

I don't like store-brand nuts (like Kroger) but like bulk nuts at the natural foods store.

Do you have any weird grocery store rules, aversions, etc.?

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#2 of 135 Old 10-25-2011, 02:04 PM

I only buy Canadian carrots, it's something my mother always did. If they don't have Canadian, I do without. No offense to you Americans out there, but you're carrots are bitter!  (or least by the time they get here they are)

I also prefer to buy local : )

You can tell right away because they turn the bags upside down hoping you won't notice the "product of U.S.A."

#3 of 135 Old 10-25-2011, 02:15 PM

I can't buy anything Valu-Time brand that's food.  I just can't eat mac & cheese from a box that was only $.33.  I don't know, maybe it's delicious and wholesome but it doesn't feel that way to me.  It's soooo cheap.

I only like to buy meat from the butcher's case.  I know the pork, for example, is the same on the shelf and in the case but I like to pick out what pieces I get.  I supposed meat on a foam tray doesn't appeal to me as much.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#4 of 135 Old 10-25-2011, 02:24 PM

Vegetables packaged in styrofoam. In the small town I live in the package everything in styrofoam and aside from the fact that its horrible for the environment, it inevitably goes bad faster. Hello, when you take vegetables that are made of water and trap them between stryofoam and plastic wrap it decreases the lifetime! Silly small town IGA.
emilysometimes likes this.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#5 of 135 Old 10-25-2011, 02:51 PM

I refuse to buy chips, candy, cookies or soda that isn't single-serving, because while I can be such a health-nut in the grocery store, I have absolutely no control once the food is in my house. Last time DH was out of town I bought an 8 pack of ice cream sandwiches and ate them all for dinner in one night.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#6 of 135 Old 10-25-2011, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

Vegetables packaged in styrofoam. In the small town I live in the package everything in styrofoam and aside from the fact that its horrible for the environment, it inevitably goes bad faster. Hello, when you take vegetables that are made of water and trap them between stryofoam and plastic wrap it decreases the lifetime! Silly small town IGA.

Me too. I just find it so wrong to package everything! I also can't buy any seafood from China; I only buy stuff fished in US or Canadian waters.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#7 of 135 Old 10-25-2011, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Cat:  Join the club.  If I buy cookies or sweets, I have to give them to DH (which is, BTW, at my request, not his demand or anything!) so he can give me 3 a day.  Otherwise, they're gone in short order!  I get it!

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#8 of 135 Old 10-25-2011, 03:05 PM

I agree on the produce packed in styrofoam. I also refuse to buy grapples.

I try to buy the "dirty dozen" organic, but I also buy organic carrots, simply because I find they taste SO much better than the conventionally grown ones that there's no comparison.

aravinda likes this.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#9 of 135 Old 10-25-2011, 03:13 PM

Grapples are so weird. They taste like eating grape bubble gum with apple texture. I did buy them once. I just had to know.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#10 of 135 Old 10-25-2011, 03:28 PM

I don't buy packaged cookies, or anything in the bakery section. I'm an excellent baker so I really just don't see the point of buying something that has tons of unpronouncable ingredients when I can make it myself at home, for less money, tasting better and healthier for you.

We also rarely buy pre-packaged meals unless one of us is sick. Sometimes we will get one of those frozen "skillet meals" with chicken and veggies.

Youngfrankenstein likes this.

Alicewyf knit.gif , wife to DH reading.gif and mama to toddler Lillian energy.gif (7/09)!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

Prayerfully expecting our little BOY in June of 2012! And so excited to be cd.gif and bfinfant.gifagain!

#11 of 135 Old 10-25-2011, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I had to google Grapples.  Weird.  I don't think they have them in stores around here.

#12 of 135 Old 10-25-2011, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Grapples kind of give me the creeps.  My older son bugged me for years to get them, but you can't buy just one and the four pack was something like 5 or 6 bucks.  I finally got them and they were nasty.

#13 of 135 Old 10-25-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post

I had to google Grapples.  Weird.  I don't think they have them in stores around here.

yeahthat.gif I never heard of them... but I don't go into the big grocery stores here so I'm sure there are lots of things there that I never heard of (well, I know there are, because my friends are always introducing me to new things!)

Going to the grocery store is a nightmare for me. It's such a huge balancing act between cost/nutrition/chemicals/organics/cravings that it takes everything in me to get through the store. I'm screwed up I guess.

I refuse to buy pine nuts, even though I love them, because it's $7.99 for a teeny tiny bag of them.

I also refuse to buy bundled fresh herbs because I'm afraid I won't use them before they wilt. I only buy dried herbs or grow my own (but I can only grow basil). Funny thing is, I love herbs so I'm sure I would use them if I gave myself the chance lol.

Other things I won't buy include: Anything containing animal products. Anything with trace amounts of artificial colors or flavors. White pasta/rice/bread/etc. (even if it's 99% whole grains, I won't buy it for the 1%). Anything with HFCS... or more than 5g of any kind of sugar per serving. Anything that costs more than ~$1/serving. Store-brand cereal. Anything with more than ~300 grams of sodium. There are lots more rules... I fully realize some of them are completely arbitrary or extreme but I can't seem to shake them lol.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#14 of 135 Old 10-25-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

Grapples are so weird. They taste like eating grape bubble gum with apple texture. I did buy them once. I just had to know.

I'm curious, but have managed to resist the temptation to try them. I don't even get Grapples. If I want a grape, I'll eat a grape, yk?

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#15 of 135 Old 10-25-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

I also refuse to buy bundled fresh herbs because I'm afraid I won't use them before they wilt. I only buy dried herbs or grow my own (but I can only grow basil). Funny thing is, I love herbs so I'm sure I would use them if I gave myself the chance lol.

You're magic. I planted several herbs a few months ago. My oregano is thriving. My chives did okay. My rosemary is doing fine.  My basil is dead, dead, dead. My mom's basil is dead. My neighbour's basil is dead.

I'm sure some of it is climate, but I don't know anybody who can keep their basil alive.

#16 of 135 Old 10-25-2011, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

I'm curious, but have managed to resist the temptation to try them. I don't even get Grapples. If I want a grape, I'll eat a grape, yk?

You won't regret not trying them. They're really gross. They taste nothing like grapes or apples -- they taste like a grape-flavored lollipop. 

Some things I won't buy at the regular grocery store, just because I can get them so much cheaper at Trader Joe's, are nuts, olive oil, and cereal. 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#17 of 135 Old 10-25-2011, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Are Grapples GMO? 

I have panic attacks most every time I go to the grocery store.  I just, just hate it.

#18 of 135 Old 10-25-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:

You're magic. I planted several herbs a few months ago. My oregano is thriving. My chives did okay. My rosemary is doing fine.  My basil is dead, dead, dead. My mom's basil is dead. My neighbour's basil is dead.

I'm sure some of it is climate, but I don't know anybody who can keep their basil alive.

LOL how weird. Well here are my secrets: I water it twice a day (usually -- sometimes I forget the second time). I rotate it every few days so it gets even sun. And I pluck the large leaves and make sure to leave lots of small leaves. My last one survived about a year (didn't get watered enough while we were on vacation... next time I might just bring the plant with me!) and this one has lasted at least 6mos so far & is doing great.

I don't know why I can't keep anything else alive... maybe I just don't give anything else the attention I give the basil plant!! My chives & green onions do well outside but I am afraid to bring them in for the winter. I really want cilantro & rosemary plants but I don't know how dedicated I can be to them.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#19 of 135 Old 10-25-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedenmomma View Post

Are Grapples GMO? 

I don't think so. The website says they're prepared through "a relaxing bathing process". I wish I were kidding:

http://www.grapplefruits.com/process.html

#20 of 135 Old 10-25-2011, 08:08 PM

The mixed pbj, I think it's called Goobers.  I ill try pretty much anything else though, even if it's not very often hide.gif

obstruct livery vehicles

#21 of 135 Old 10-25-2011, 08:50 PM

Low-fat yogurt!! WTH why does everybody want lowfat dairy. Don't they know how they make it?

And ps- the Grapples web site says it's pronounced Grape-Ls. Idiots.

#22 of 135 Old 10-25-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzer Beater View Post

Low-fat yogurt!! WTH why does everybody want lowfat dairy. Don't they know how they make it?

And ps- the Grapples web site says it's pronounced Grape-Ls. Idiots.

Actully, I don't... How is it made?

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#23 of 135 Old 10-25-2011, 10:31 PM

Boxed dried potatoes. They're dh's comfort food (his mom always made super lumpy mashed potatoes and so he grew to prefer the artificial kind). They're not food. They're paste. If he wants them, he buys them.

Gravy mixes -- they're way too full of chemicals and it's not that hard to make gravy.

I've never seen Grapples and never ever want to try them.

I have specific 'rules' about certain stores:

I won't buy bananas at Winco because they go from green to bad (actually most of their fruit does and I try hard not to buy fruit there).

I won't buy pork at most stores because it's got the evil "always tender" chemicals in it.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#24 of 135 Old 10-25-2011, 11:17 PM

There are a vast number of products we don't buy at the store because they would be useless or uninteresting to us.

Here are some that I would refuse to buy pretty strongly-

Disposable (single use) toilet brushes

Canned or dry dog food

Liver

Celebrity focused magazines

Hominy

Canned vegetables except tomatoes

Juice boxes/pouches

Grape flavored stuff

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#25 of 135 Old 10-25-2011, 11:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
I really want cilantro & rosemary plants but I don't know how dedicated I can be to them.

Rosemary's easy! Tolerates drought well. My parents have a huge bush of it, and I don't think they ever water it. Wonderful stuff, rosemary.

I've had mixed results with basil, and no idea why. One year, none; the next year, a dozen thriving plants. I planted purple (Genoese) basil last year, but didn't like the taste.

I refuse to buy plenty of things at the grocery store - stuff with MSG, Nestle products, meals in a pouch - nothing notable for MDC. The one odd thing I've noticed is that the produce at the expensive supermarkets is WAY worse than the produce at my local cheap, ugly supermarket. I assume it's just because of a higher turnover, but it's odd to go (occasionally!) into a fancy, gleaming supermarket and see wilted celery and pitiful wizened avocadoes.

Also, I don't buy cream, milk or butter at the supermarket, because it's cheaper at the fruit and veggie shop. Fruit and veggies are usually cheaper at the supermarket, though. :p

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#26 of 135 Old 10-26-2011, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

I've had mixed results with basil, and no idea why. One year, none; the next year, a dozen thriving plants. I planted purple (Genoese) basil last year, but didn't like the taste.

Oooo I planted purple basil when I got pregnant and then suddenly developed a HUGE aversion to purple foods so I never got to try it! Every time I walked by that plant I gagged lol.

#27 of 135 Old 10-26-2011, 05:39 AM

they make disposable toilet brushes?!

i won't buy grocery store (as opposed to the health food coop) peanut butter in the grinder.  they never change out the peanuts, and in hickville where we shop, people don't buy the organic/non sugar peanuts and they go bad fast.  i have had too many brushes with rancid peanut butter.  plus, i have horrific visions of bugs/animals crawling around in those bins (but at the coop, i know people use the nuts and they are replaced frequently enough to be good). 

i also won't but stupid fruit fake products for kids-- there's a whole aisle of them!!!  i don't mean fruit leather that's just dried fruit (which we could easily make ourselves) but the sugar fake stuff that's fruit AND sugar AND food coloring AND hfcs, etc.  i am just mostly insulted that they call it "fruit" on the package.  ick.  (and i am not totally opposed to sweets, i just don't like HYPOCRITICAL candy that pretends to be real food)

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#28 of 135 Old 10-26-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:

Buy a basil plant - not the seeds.  For tricky plants, it is always easier if they are already started for you.

#29 of 135 Old 10-26-2011, 05:55 AM

Store made birthday cake.  They always have a hideous, tastes like shortening and sugar icing.  Gag. 

No fat anything is gross.  Low fat is fine, but no fat - no way!  (the first ingrediant in no fat salad dressing is corn syrup, blech!)

I try hard not to buy food from China.  I am scared of what might be in it.  

#30 of 135 Old 10-26-2011, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Well I wish I lived near you because my Basil went nuts!  I just gave away a whole bunch and still have 3 huge bushes of basil... can you call them bushes?  That and my patchouli went crazy this year.  I still have eggplant flowering too and I can't tell you how I did it because I have no clue!

Quote:

Tags
Food Items

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page