Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

N

#2 of 49 Old 11-04-2011, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I've only been here 6 years, but wow, how my life has changed!

My kids are no longer little ones. I tried to wash something that was around my 12 year old's mouth off yesterday, and it wouldn't come off. I took him in the bathroom for a better look...it was dark hair! Eeek!

All my kids are in school full time. No more nursing, diapers, co-sleeping. I'm working part-time. I feel like an experienced mom!

It's crazy how much can change in such a short time!
member234098 likes this.

#3 of 49 Old 11-04-2011, 09:01 AM

Will have 10 years officially in a few months and was here before the crash, too, when pregnant with my only, so here for 10 years this month.  I think that MDC has actually changed the most.  greensad.gif

member234098 likes this.
#4 of 49 Old 11-04-2011, 09:20 AM

I got my first computer in 2001 and was craving a baby soon after that so I'm guessing it wasn't long after that. I've changed usernames since then so I don't know for sure. I didn't actually plan to have any kids until 2005. I spent many years beforehand reading about parenting and birth on Mothering.
member234098 likes this.
#5 of 49 Old 11-04-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miriam View Post

November 2011 marks ten years that mothering.com has been up and running.  There was a forum that crashed from 1999, but the November 2011 date is the lasting inception date.  

I have been here since 08-03-02.  

How many of you have been here ten years this month?

How have things changed for you in the past ten years if you are still here?  

For me, my own children are grown and working. I adopted a child, and live goes on.  

Miriam, I also joined in 08-02. Wow. My dd was a tiny little baby when I joined. Now she's in 4th grade. My ds is in 2nd. I'm no longer a SAHM. I work part-time (substitute teaching) while getting my master's degree in Elementary Ed. I'm way more laid back in my parenting choices than I was when I first joined. Things tend to change when children get old enough to make some of their own decisions! Things I probably once said I'd never do have certainly been done. lol.gif I'm much happier working and doing more things for myself. Things are so much easier now.

member234098 likes this.
#6 of 49 Old 11-05-2011, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

T

#7 of 49 Old 11-05-2011, 09:57 PM

Wow, I had no idea I joined ten years ago this month... crazy!  Since I've joined I've had two more children, both born at home and successfully nursed (after a disappointing hospital birth and exclusively pumping for my first).  I spent several years working at a natural parenting store and then went on to open my own business with a friend a couple years ago.  Began un/homeschooling and still at it.

I guess for me, not much has changed... but then again, I joined when my first was still a baby really.  My youngest just turned 5yrs old, so I'm definitely still in the parenting young children phase.... and may or may not have another baby one of these days!

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

#8 of 49 Old 11-06-2011, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Ten years ago I was a Mothering magazine subscriber, but had not yet visited the message board.  I *was* very active on other message boards on AOL and one related to Epinions.  I also was on some local yahoo groups.  It was on one of these yahoo groups where someone asked if anyone went to the Mothering message boards.  I joined after that, but it won't be 10 years until February, I think.

#9 of 49 Old 11-06-2011, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Yep, joined 10-02. DD1 must have just turned 3. DD2 was still a twinkle. MDC really helped me decide to go for a midwife (one blood test, one ultrasound, that's it - family thought we were crazy) and homebirth w/ DD2 (did not work out and she was born in the hospital, but it was a much better experience than DD1's hospital birth). I took a long break, then recently came back & mostly read preteens/teens and the various home and health/cooking threads these days.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#10 of 49 Old 11-06-2011, 06:27 PM

Well Mothering forums is actually more than 10 years old. The Nov 2001 date is just the post crash new forum. I was here before the crash but I left for awhile and didn't come back till 2002 and since we had to create new memberships after the crash, I chose a new name at that time. How had things changed? I have a kid over 21 now, while I'm not post menopausal yet, I'm sure I'm past my child bearing years. I have a lot more gray hair, I've completely changed my religion, world view and politics. I switched from windows to mac LOL. I've moved to 4 different states since 2001. I can't imagine being here 10 years from now. Unless there are some dramatic changes.  

#11 of 49 Old 11-07-2011, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

A

#12 of 49 Old 11-08-2011, 01:29 PM

I was here ten years ago... Had found the old boards a few months before the crash...

I have found useful informations and support on these boards through the years... Have seen community coming together to help and support people in need (paper cranes and quilt for a mourning mother, the Holiday Helpers threads, ...)

I've learn and shared on many subjects and I got better at expressing myself in written English (second language). I've read things I couldn't imagine, I've been shaken by some threads, I've laugh and I've cried, I've been touched and inspired, I've grown and I've found a few dear friends.

My needs have changed and I'm not as active on these boards as I used to be; kids are growing, life is happening, the wheel is turning...

Valérie   
#13 of 49 Old 11-08-2011, 04:46 PM

I was here before the crash, joined the first day I possibly could when the boards came back up after the crash. I'm old. lol.gif
#14 of 49 Old 11-08-2011, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Crash survivor here, too.  DD was a baby and now she is in middle school.  Miriam I remember when you started.  You used to start every post with "Dearest Mothering Friends,"  I think you should do that again for a week or so, for old times sake!

#15 of 49 Old 11-08-2011, 07:08 PM

me! I was here before the crash too, and even did a stint as moderator before nursing school. My baby is now going to be 11 next month! wow!

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#16 of 49 Old 11-08-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfTheMeadow View Post

I've only been here 6 years, but wow, how my life has changed!

My kids are no longer little ones. I tried to wash something that was around my 12 year old's mouth off yesterday, and it wouldn't come off. I took him in the bathroom for a better look...it was dark hair! Eeek!

All my kids are in school full time. No more nursing, diapers, co-sleeping. I'm working part-time. I feel like an experienced mom!

It's crazy how much can change in such a short time!

My dd chose to start shaving last year (dark hair from dad) and even my youngest needed to start wearing deodorant thismyear. And, I was a SAHM for 10 years, now a PICU nurse.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#17 of 49 Old 11-08-2011, 07:36 PM

I was here before the crash. Signed up with the same user name when the V Bulletin boards came up. Then a few years down the road changed my user name for privacy reasons. 10 years ago my oldest was 8 and I had 3 kids. Now my oldest is in college, and I have 5 kids. I was so addicted to the boards back then. Now I visit occasionally. There were just many ideas that were new to me then, or things that I did and had no name for before I belonged to MDC. I met people that I am still friends with to this day. I am thankful the forums were here in any form.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#18 of 49 Old 11-08-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma View Post

me! I was here before the crash too, and even did a stint as moderator before nursing school. My baby is now going to be 11 next month! wow!
Wow! She is that old already? I can't believe it!

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#19 of 49 Old 11-08-2011, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

I was here before the crash, too. Back then I lived in Little Rock. My sign-on got screwed up in one of our moves, so I created a new log on. I used to be Linda in Arizona, and then I was Linda in Canada. And then I gave up and become Linda on the move.

When I started on mothering, I was tandem nursing a baby and a toddler.

Now my babies are teens and this week are off touring colleges in our state.

What a long, strange trip its been.

journeymom likes this.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#20 of 49 Old 11-08-2011, 08:48 PM

Hm.  Now I'm wondering if I was on the old board too?  Because my join date here is 11/2001... which seems like it was when the new forum started?   My memory is clearly not what it used to be!

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

#21 of 49 Old 11-09-2011, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovergirl View Post

Hm.  Now I'm wondering if I was on the old board too?  Because my join date here is 11/2001... which seems like it was when the new forum started?   My memory is clearly not what it used to be!

You can kinda figure it out from how old your kids were when you started coming here. I have memories of posting on mothering when DD#2 was sleeping in a sling on my chest, and she was past that stage by Nov 2001.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#22 of 49 Old 11-09-2011, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I think I must've been here about 10 yrs, too. I know I had a different user name initially and then left and then came back. I remember talk of the crash, but not sure if I was here then or just joined right after. I definitely learned a lot and have been exposed to a lot of new ideas over the years. My kids are 10.5 now and almost 8.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#23 of 49 Old 11-09-2011, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Been here almost 10 years!  My youngest was a little more than 2 y.o.  I'd picked up Mothering magazine from Tower Records a few times prior. 

I love this place. I will forever appreciate learning how all those vexing new parent things were really, really common. 

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#24 of 49 Old 11-11-2011, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

#25 of 49 Old 11-11-2011, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miriam View Post

I did that to be different.  Other members made fun of it, so I stopped.  I did not want to be a laughing stock.  Thank you for remembering.  

I was in an online class a year before, and the professor greeted us with the same kind of salutation.  I liked it.  I thought I would do it here, but most did not get the humor.  As a young mom I remember reading the quarterly magazine with awe when it arrived in the mail or on the newstands at the hfs.  I felt the same awe when I logged in here.  I had reverence and joy communicating with everyone, although few members agreed with me on many issues.

Well it's been a little more than nine years and you are an older, wiser and more confident woman, now aren't you?? 

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#26 of 49 Old 11-12-2011, 05:15 PM

I've been here since '99 when we got our 1st computer. Remember the crash...well sort of. I remember being able to sign up again, apparently 10 years ago this month! I had all of my boys by that time, had been a Mothering Mag reader for years. We adopted our 4th child in 2004. Things change.....my kids are now 19, almost 16, 12 and 8. Immersed in big kid stuff now.

Back to lurking for 10 more years!
#27 of 49 Old 11-12-2011, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

#28 of 49 Old 11-12-2011, 08:47 PM

I didn't join until sometime in 2003, but I didn't know that the forum had just started 3 years earlier.  When I started coming here I was all about diapers and spent all of my time on the diapering board.  That seems so foreign to me now!  I tried to hang out at diaperswappers some a while back because a lot of my etsy customers spent time there and omg, it was so boring!  What is up with talking about diapers all the time?  lol  I know I used to love it though when I was pg with Milo and when he was little.  

Now Milo is 8 and I've got another little one, who's 2 1/2.  I'm working towards going back to work outside of the home.  If we win the lottery, though, we'll adopt another and I'll come back home.  

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#29 of 49 Old 11-13-2011, 08:48 AM

10 years ago I was expecting DD1. I was on another parent website in a duedate club. It was my first online discussion for boards. It was my first pregncy, thus Amys1st was born as my name. I still 10 plus years later keep in touch with a few moms from that board. A few meetups, now just on FB.

Some mom suggested I go to a LLL meeting when dd1 was about 8 weeks. There someone had brought a stack of Mothering Mags. I looked thru a few. I read Dr Sears. I had no idea we were practicing AP or NFL- we just always did. DH was very firm in his belief regarding breastfeeding well before we had kids. My mom didnt BF us, didnt know anything about it. I watched all my SILs Bf and DMIL BF'd 9 kids. She even attended the early LLL meetings 50 plus years ago with a sister who was having issues with a latch. She personally knew a few of the founders. I took to it like a fish to water and had plenty of support. But I knew many mamas who didnt have my support nor had the same scenerio in nursing. So I attended and became involved in LLL.

One day we are in line at Whole Foods, dd strapped to dh. I see the latest Mothering. Buy it, find the website. The rest is history.

Since that day when we were a young couple with a baby nursing and buying veggies to make our own baby food:

My first baby is now 9

My second baby who came at 24 weeks is now attending kindy full time and thriving

I am now WAH part time but keeping up with MDC as I can. MDC is not the same it was back in the day but then again neither am I.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#30 of 49 Old 11-19-2011, 07:16 AM

I've been here 10 years in December, but I was under a different user name for the first year or so that I was here.

How has my life changed? Well, my first post on MDC was in December 2001 when I was 19 years old, and I was asking for advice on how to get my formula-fed 2-month-old to sleep through the night. lol.gif

Needless to say, my parenting views have changed A LOT (or else I wouldn't still be on MDC!), and my October 2001 baby is a half-grown, awesome 10-year-old who's only 7 inches shorter than me now! I also have a 6-year-old daughter, a 4-year-old son, and am expecting baby #4!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page