Rarely go to the grocery store? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 93 Old 11-01-2011, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

yeah its a spinoff thread.

and i am looking for people like me smile.gif

i very very very rarely go to the grocery store. if they disappeared i would have no problems.

however i do go coz i dont have a choice with food stamps. i get milk and cereal at the grocery store. and treats once in a while like icecream, foreign fruit, snacks, honey and succanate.

i volunteer to get my local organic produce, the little tiny local store that has a few things organic and from the local farms for REAL CHEAP and will get me the kind of things i want and go to the farmers market.

i cook almost everything from scratch. we eat mostly rice, buckwheat, millet, quinoa, semolina and couscous. i have noticed pure wheat reacts with both dd and me but we are not celiacs.

so if the grocery store disappeared would your life be turned upside down?

(Side note: it would though turn my life upside down. its a hobby of mine to walk through grocery stores - yeah i visit many without any intentions of buying anything - to see what kind of stuff they carry, from where and how the locality affects the kind of grocery store they have. the local ghetto has a ghetto type grocery store with the worst kinda food on the racks).

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#2 of 93 Old 11-01-2011, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yes, our lives would be turned upside down upsidedown.gif We don't have regular farmer's markets and growing here is very difficult.  So, we have to buy produce from the grocery store.

Other than that, we would be able to get meat from a local butcher, and eggs a few towns away where people have ranches, but all other items would probably have to come from an online retailer, like whole grains, legumes, baking supplies, non-perishable almond milk, nuts, etc. Come to think of it, we'd have to use an online retailer to buy toilet paper, natural soaps and cleaning supplies (like vinegar). We could do it, but it would be a huge PITA and we'd have to pay a whole lot of money in shipping costs.

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#3 of 93 Old 11-01-2011, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemademom View Post

Yes, our lives would be turned upside down upsidedown.gif We don't have regular farmer's markets and growing here is very difficult.  So, we have to buy produce from the grocery store.

ah i am spoilt living in California arent I?

Other than that, we would be able to get meat from a local butcher, and eggs a few towns away where people have ranches, but all other items would probably have to come from an online retailer, like whole grains, legumes, baking supplies, non-perishable almond milk, nuts, etc. Come to think of it, we'd have to use an online retailer to buy toilet paper, natural soaps and cleaning supplies (like vinegar). We could do it, but it would be a huge PITA and we'd have to pay a whole lot of money in shipping costs.

My friend who lives in the boonies has a friends coop. a group of ladies go on a supplies trip and lunch out i think twice or thrice a month. this friend of mine is VERY organized and has been able to fit her life (she used to live close to me) to her new lifestyle.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#4 of 93 Old 11-01-2011, 02:21 PM

If the grocery store shut down, but money wasn't a factor, we'd do ok. I can get all the fruit and veggies I want easily at the local market, and a lot of people hunt around here (pig, feral cow, sheep), eggs are easy to come by, there is a local dairy, but I don't know where I'd get grains. I guess I'd have to spend more time in the kitchen too since I'd be making things from scratch more, like bread and yogurt. 

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#5 of 93 Old 11-01-2011, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I only call places like Ralphs, Vons, Kroger, Safeway, etc. "grocery stores," so if they shut down I'd be fine since I could still go to Trader Joe's for all our food (we only have farmer's markets in the summer) and Target for all our household products. 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#6 of 93 Old 11-01-2011, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemademom View Post

Y We don't have regular farmer's markets and growing here is very difficult.  So, we have to buy produce from the grocery store.

growing here is very difficult and limited, and, while we have a Farmer's Market, it is also really limited in what produce they have. (Though I do love the artisan breads and hand made soaps).

Produce comes from either a grocery store or someplace like Traders Joes. Either way, it was shipped here from a whole nother state.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#7 of 93 Old 11-01-2011, 07:14 PM

yep definitely turned upside down.

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

#8 of 93 Old 11-01-2011, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Yeah I couldn't make it without Costco.  Farmers markets are not easy to get to here.

#9 of 93 Old 11-01-2011, 08:53 PM

I prefer to shop at Henry's/Sprouts, which is a natural grocery store, but it's still a grocery store.  I can't get everything I need there, so for time's sake and efficiency I usually go to the big grocery store.  I love shopping the farmers' markets, but can't buy all my food at them, so it just wouldn't be enough.

If I lived in an area with 10 different markets on one block, like in Paris, then I could probably do without the grocery store.  But in suburbia?  It's just too time-consuming.

Youngfrankenstein likes this.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#10 of 93 Old 11-01-2011, 09:52 PM

It's embarrassing but I go to the store about 2-3x/day blush.gif

I don't go so much for the shopping as I do for the experience (though we do have 6 food eating people in our home and somebody always needs something- and I'm the only one who knows how to buy groceries, apparently).. Also, I have an 8 week old who falls asleep really fast on the 1/2 mile walk  :)

mischievous.gif
#11 of 93 Old 11-02-2011, 06:20 AM

I get almost all of my food from the grocery store, but I rarely go... maybe 2x/month?? I hate grocery shopping. Maybe if I had a lot of money I wouldn't mind so much, IDK.

There is one winter farmer's market in my state I think, but it's a 1/2 hour drive. And growing season here really is only several months long anyway. So I don't know where I'd shop if it wasn't the grocery store, there aren't really other options.

I want to grow more of our own food but DH & I are not very talented in the gardening department...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#12 of 93 Old 11-02-2011, 05:11 PM

We belong to a large food coop, so the only time I really ever go into a regular grocery store is to buy kitty litter or cat food.  Sometimes I'll make quick stops if I need some fresh basil or something like olives that can be bought by the pound (our coop doesn't carry them).  DH does the actual food shopping every week, so I rarely even darken the coop with my shadow, unless I'm working my shift there.  

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#13 of 93 Old 11-03-2011, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I love grocery stores.  LOVE THEM!  I'm here in SA so HEB is opening all sorts of different kinds.  The one we haven't visited yet is a kosher HEB and I think DH and have plans to go to that one today.  We'll see he's still in dream land.

#14 of 93 Old 11-03-2011, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

lol.gif i am from asia. i so dislike the grocery stores here (when i compare them to asia). i feel they are so boring here. in asia oh it is so ALIVE and sooo much happening. and you have to go to different stores to buy your stuff. like the market for veggies and meat and fish. an egg place for eggs (if you want good quality eggs). a grain place for your grains and beans. and a store for all your other supplies.

i really get excited about ethnic grocery stores here where i live. and the asian one is a 'happening' place even at 6 am. very alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

I love grocery stores.  LOVE THEM!  I'm here in SA so HEB is opening all sorts of different kinds.  The one we haven't visited yet is a kosher HEB and I think DH and have plans to go to that one today.  We'll see he's still in dream land.

#15 of 93 Old 11-03-2011, 10:12 AM

We have farmers markets from the middle of April though the beginning of Oct.  We also grow a garden during the summer.  So I go less to the grocery stores during the summer months, but I still really rely on the grocery stores after the garden and the markets are gone. 

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#16 of 93 Old 11-03-2011, 11:07 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I rarely go to a traditional grocery store. They simply don't carry what I want to buy. Even if they carry it in theory i.e. organic milk the vendor is substandard (Horizon) and overpriced.  We shop weekly at the farmer's market year round and fill in at both Whole Foods and Trader Joes, neither of which are traditional grocery stores. We occasionally visit a butcher carries meat and fish  to our standards and buy animal shares directly from farmers. We also get occasional shipments through amazon Prime for bulk orders. And now that I think about I do shop at lots of little speciality shops like an Italian Deli and a special store for spices. (We live in a large city.)

We use natural body products from etsy or WF and cloth diapered and use natural cleaning products from WF or make ourselves. Cloth diapered.

#17 of 93 Old 11-03-2011, 11:20 AM

What is a 'grocery store'?? Apparently by all your definitions I NEVER go to a grocery store but I thought I did??? lol

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#18 of 93 Old 11-03-2011, 11:29 AM

How is Whole Foods not a grocery store?
We don't have one here yet (although we will soon thanks to my city handing over a former public park to developers) but don't they sell a range of food items? I think of that, as opposed to a butcher or bakery, as a grocery store, just like our local chain that sells fruit/veg and meat and my favorite Chinese and Italian food stores. And yeah, I go to them all the time!

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#19 of 93 Old 11-03-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post

How is Whole Foods not a grocery store?

I'm thinking the same thing about Trader Joe's!

Just for the record, Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are grocery stores.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#20 of 93 Old 11-04-2011, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

she never said she doesnt go to the grocery store. she said she does not go to the traditional grocery store. but she goes to specialty ones. i would call TJs and WF specialty store. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post

I'm thinking the same thing about Trader Joe's!
Just for the record, Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are grocery stores.

#21 of 93 Old 11-04-2011, 07:05 AM

Whole Foods is definitely a grocery store! Just because they don't sell Coke or Pop-Tarts doesn't mean they aren't a grocery store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

she never said she doesnt go to the grocery store. she said she does not go to the traditional grocery store. but she goes to specialty ones. i would call TJs and WF specialty store. 

Honey693 likes this.

Rachel, mom to Eliana (age 3)
#22 of 93 Old 11-04-2011, 07:56 AM

Of course TJ's and WF's are grocery stores.  Seriously?  Ya'll are getting duped by the marketing.  

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

#23 of 93 Old 11-04-2011, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

no one is denying that. it is still a business. however it sells healthier stuff (i am hoping that's more about caring for customers rather than profit mongering which to a certain extent does exist). they are a different TYPE of grocery store. true and i understand since i asked if the grocery store disappeared. i guess for me (now that i read your replies adn think more) i rarely walk into a traditional grocery store. i do sometimes because of convenience. however i either dont eat and have reduced our amount of food to be able to afford healthier options. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooshersmama View Post

Whole Foods is definitely a grocery store! Just because they don't sell Coke or Pop-Tarts doesn't mean they aren't a grocery store.

i also realise when i think of grocery stores i think of food. mainly coz i buy my other stuff elsewhere. at the little local stores here. like body soap. i like splurging on that. but then that bar lasts me 6 months. a friend of mine picks up TP from costco as the green recycled ones are cheaper there. or at least with my budget that's what i can afford right now. 

i have noticed i can do without and with very little and have been able to go back to the basics so that i dont really 'need' to go to traditional grocery stores. whatever little splurges i do do at the store i go to little ethnic places. however i realise i can do that only coz of the place i live at, where i even have the choice. 

now i need to go and look up the definition of grocery store. 

#24 of 93 Old 11-04-2011, 08:12 AM

I have a good friend who lives in another city who buys all manner of processed crap at Trader Joe's. And she spends a TON of money on their bottled juices and sugar cereals and "organic" pop tarts.

We don't have either TJ's or WF's in our town, but I'm very happy with the fruits, vegetables, whole grains, etc. I get from Safeway. We have an extremely tight budget and I can make our money go a long way by buying a lot of whole foods rather than processed foods. This can be done at any kind of grocery store.

Mamja, JavaJunkie, Areia and 1 others like this.

Sandy (41), Mama to Oscar (Feb 2009) and Aria (April 2012), infertility and miscarriage survivor brokenheart.gif 11/25/10 and brokenheart.gif 6/22/11.

#25 of 93 Old 11-04-2011, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

yes i absolutely agree that TJs and WFs also have processed junk.

but just coz you are getting whole unprocessed stuff doesnt mean you are NOT buying "junk" either (just a different kind of junk) unless it is organic. my objection to the non organic food is the pesticides and fertilizer on it. we eat strawberries maybe two or 3 times a year. apples maybe 3 to 4 months in a year. 

#26 of 93 Old 11-04-2011, 08:45 AM

Since we grow most of our own vegetables, I'm not too worried about it. They also sell organic produce and other products at Safeway and many other mainstream grocery stores. Since we don't have the other kinds of stores here, I'm not sure what you're suggesting.

Sandy (41), Mama to Oscar (Feb 2009) and Aria (April 2012), infertility and miscarriage survivor brokenheart.gif 11/25/10 and brokenheart.gif 6/22/11.

#27 of 93 Old 11-04-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_McG View Post

Of course TJ's and WF's are grocery stores.  Seriously?  Ya'll are getting duped by the marketing.  

This is exactly what I meant. I have no doubt that these two chains have some healthful foods but I bet like any other grocery store they're "loss leaders" for products that really make a profit - highly-processed packaged food. Organic junk food is still junk food. I have no doubt that homemade meals and snacks made from whole but not organically-grown foods are miles better than those organic "puffs" I see toddlers eating all the time.
Quote:

yes i absolutely agree that TJs and WFs also have processed junk. but just coz you are getting whole unprocessed stuff doesnt mean you are NOT buying "junk" either (just a different kind of junk) unless it is organic. my objection to the non organic food is the pesticides and fertilizer on it. we eat strawberries maybe two or 3 times a year. apples maybe 3 to 4 months in a year. 

I object to the idea that food that isn't organic is junk. I buy the "dirty dozen" organic (including apples and strawberries, although with the latter they have to be local, too, or they taste like crap) and don't stress if the "consistently clean" are conventionally grown. All the evidence-based information I've seen (The Center for Science in the Public Interest is a good source) says that eating more fruits and vegetables - even if they're conventional grown - is good for your health.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#28 of 93 Old 11-04-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:

i cook almost everything from scratch. we eat mostly rice, buckwheat, millet, quinoa, semolina and couscous. i have noticed pure wheat reacts with both dd and me but we are not celiacs.

Meemee, I just wanted to make sure you knew that semolina/couscous is plain old durum wheat. What do you mean when you say "pure wheat?" 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemademom View Post

Just quoting because I like your name :)

Of course my life would be turned upside down if we didn't have grocery stores! For one thing my husband works for WF so he would be out of a job! I shop almost exclusively at WF (we get a phenomenal discount) and our local co-op (very expensive, but some great local stuff). We have a farmer's market, but obv we can't get everything there. 

I guess if you are considering WF and TJ as distinct from "normal" grocery stores, then I guess I would be okay. But I really don't understand that distinction. 

MadiMamacita likes this.

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#29 of 93 Old 11-04-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
the local ghetto has a ghetto type grocery store with the worst kinda food on the racks).

Uh, meemee?

MadiMamacita likes this.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#30 of 93 Old 11-04-2011, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post

This is exactly what I meant. I have no doubt that these two chains have some healthful foods but I bet like any other grocery store they're "loss leaders" for products that really make a profit - highly-processed packaged food. Organic junk food is still junk food. I have no doubt that homemade meals and snacks made from whole but not organically-grown foods are miles better than those organic "puffs" I see toddlers eating all the time.
I object to the idea that food that isn't organic is junk. I buy the "dirty dozen" organic (including apples and strawberries, although with the latter they have to be local, too, or they taste like crap) and don't stress if the "consistently clean" are conventionally grown. All the evidence-based information I've seen (The Center for Science in the Public Interest is a good source) says that eating more fruits and vegetables - even if they're conventional grown - is good for your health.

oh i definitely consider non organic food 'poisonous'. same as cigarettes. slow killer. and it uses the poor to kill because they cant find cheaper options for better food. of course the government and scientists are not going to stand up and say that aloud. but if you superimpose the clusters of cancers on farmland it is one of those clusters. i guess europe is far more open with that kind of research than the US. 

yes i am lucky that i have options that even though i am poor i can afford to eat 90% organic and living where i am allows me to do that. having an urban farm in my city allows me to do that. 

i dont know much about WF. i am not close to one. but i consider it a sacrilage to compare say our local coop grocery store to the safeway we have in town. our coop does so much for our community. safeway cant come close to what the coop does. in fact why the coop? we have our own local chains. even those chains are much more conscious. not just with the food they are selling, but even with the way they treat their staff. a wholeness way of thinking i think. in fact one of them even invested part of their land and is growing some of their own produce. 

when there is a demand the supply has to exist. so there is crappy processed food. that has to exist. because the majority of people dont even cook. have you guys noticed how the kitchen is getting smaller and smaller over the years. in fact in some of the apts here i wonder why they even have a kitchen. they can have a kitchenette to do minor stuff and maybe have a bigger community kitchen in the building for whoever wants to use whenever they want to. i very rarely come across people who cook in mainstream society. they heat or assemble. but never really cook. so how can you have a grocery store not selling processed junk, ya know.

there are parts of the country where we do need grocery stores, but do we really need the big chains esp. for a place like california which has so many options. instead of grocery stores we need more farmers markets in places wehre one can have it.

there is a disabled man who lives close to us that i see him on the road pretty regularly. he's got a bunch of health issues. ever since target opened up their grocery section he goes and lives off of their tv dinners. 

one of my favourite places to shop is this tiny little store - trying to survive. he is situated in the crappy part of the city. all around that community are terrible grocery stores with a few fresh produce. but this little tiny store sells local organic produce sometimes even cheaper than the local chain. 

with places like WF, TJs, local coops how would we even have access to any decent food. it is because of their existence that other chains would even offer organic options. 

the UN itself have said there is no need for factory farming. that organic produce CAN feed the world. some farmers (i know of a few potato farmers) who have succeeded in changing to organic and still making a profit. 

one thing i have noticed (i was creating a list of foods we eat) that since i switched over to obtaining food thru volunteer and local farmers markets is that teh variety of my diet has gone up tremendously. i dont can so i probably ate my last tomato yesterday but its time to change the cooking style and go into more soups and stews and try all the new squash thats coming out. its root time baby!!!

homemademama thanks yes i  know those are wheat. we love them. so we eat a small amount of them. in fact some oats are not gluten free either. but we dont have celiac so for instance we can eat bread which doesnt list wheat as its first ingredient but lists it further down the line. since we realised we are so addicted to bread and flour, we have relegated that to icecream status. we eat bread as a treat and so can splurge on good bread and good butter (one of our super special treats is freshly baked bread from either the afghani or armenian bakery which have no preservatives in them. it goes bad by the 3rd day or dries up completely). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page