no christmas spirit - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-12-2011, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have no Christmas spirit, in fact, my mindset is becoming close to that of Scrooge.  I am recently divorced and I have 3 kids.  They are spending this first Christmas with their father 2+ hours away (except for my little one will be with me).  My ex has systematically destroyed every Christmas for me for the last 11 years and I was actually excited to be having a Christmas without trying to get him to engage with the kids on Christmas morning.  This was going to be MY year to do what I wanted, when I wanted.  I've made Chex mix, decorated a tree, watched a couple Christmas movies and bought a few presents.  My heart is NOT in it.  I just frankly don't care.  I'm trying to care...because I think I should...but I'd just as soon skip it all together.  In fact, the ONLY reason I'm having anything to do with it is for the kids, who would probably be devistated if I just said, "no Christmas"

I don't think I'm particularly sad about Christmas--it's not a longing for what should have been.  There is something of being stressed about money, but my family is kicking in.  I just don't care.  I would like to care.  I would like it to matter to me.  Everyone else is SO EXCITED about Christmas and I want to join in their fun. 

I was going to go to my moms with the little one for Christmas eve/day, but I'm thinking about just staying home--my toddler wouldn't know the difference and we're doing Christmas with my older two and family two days after Christmas.  But then everyone wants to "save me" because I "shouldn't" spend Christmas alone.

hmmm.  any ideas?  advice? thoughts? anything?

Sarah

DextersGirl likes this.

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif
#2 of 10 Old 12-12-2011, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No christmas spirit here either. I am a regular ol scrooge. My neighbor is trying to save me and says that my kids will be damaged without the magic of the holiday. I was raised with christmas overboard and it ruined christmas for me. So we may get a tree, but hasn't happened yet. My kids like it, so I will get one soon, and I do get them gifts. That is about it. No family gatherings for me, no way!

My favorite way of enjoying the holidays is renting movies and eating a pint of ice cream. I may go for a walk to the lake with the kids and see if we can name animal tracks.

To get somewhat in the spirit of things (for the kids), I do put on some cheesy christmas music.
DextersGirl likes this.
#3 of 10 Old 12-12-2011, 05:10 PM

I am the same way, and I don't think at all that you are a Scrooge.  My hubby is deployed to Afghanistan and won't be home for Christmas (we just found out a few days ago).  DD is a teenager and thinks money magically appears whenever she wants something.  I, too, was Christmased to DEATH growing up, and the materialism of it all bugs me to pieces.  I'd just rather eat, spend quality time with family and call it a day.  All the gifts and decorating feel like WORK to me...and with DH gone, more work is not anything I need.

Now, let me just say that I love the ethos of Christmas.  I just hate all the manmade trappings.  The need to decorate the door.  The need to put up a billion lights and show off for other people.  Blah blah blah.  I love what Christmas is supposed to mean...not what it has come to mean.

What it has come to me just wears me out completely.  I'm so glad you posted this because I thought something was wrong with me.  lol

Christi

#4 of 10 Old 12-12-2011, 05:26 PM

I say you should stay home with your toddler and enjoy the day with just the two of you! Especially if you are already getting together with family later.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#5 of 10 Old 12-12-2011, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)

Imagine someone's LO just died and they attend their first party/holiday.  There is cheerfulness and laughter, decorations and great food, and wonderful people.  But being in mourning they just can't get over feeling a bit emptied by their loss.

Despite all your angry feelings towards your ex, you are feeling that same emptiness.  So your loss wasn't entirely unwanted, but it is still a loss and you are still adjusting.  Fake it a little for the kids, but cut yourself some slack.  You might have been more "into" Christmas because your ex spoiled it than you would have been had this not been an issue.  Or perhaps a little bit of both.

I hope I made sense.

Let this be a relaxing Christmas instead of a high-spirited, energetic one.  Tune out the rest of the world as best you can.  Give yourself time to heal.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#6 of 10 Old 12-13-2011, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I'm not a fan of Christmas either.  Family has always ruined it for me.  Dh's family used to send us lists of what they wanted.  Now I say not to all of them and just try to get through it with my little family. 

I get you though, find something you want to do for that day and do it!

#7 of 10 Old 12-13-2011, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
hmmm.  any ideas?  advice? thoughts? anything?

A nice medium.  You're totally entitled to keep it quiet and low-key.  Like said above, even if your break-up is a good thing, you're still in some mourning.  That's just fine!  But maybe push yourself a little bit, and go visit your mom for a while. 

I totally agree, most of it feels like work to me. 

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#8 of 10 Old 12-13-2011, 09:07 AM

I, too, have zero Christmas spirit.  My main Christmas wish is that we are able to pay our mortgage and utilities while keeping food in the pantry.

I just can't get into buying any gifts when I KNOW we need that money for basics (food, electricity, water, phone, etc).  I don't even want to receive anything from DH (or even DD), because I know we don't have the money for ANYthing extra.  We're having to pull money out of life insurance just to get by each month, and now the life insurance has nothing left.

Our free couples counseling is on hiatus for the holidays, and won't start up again until February.  I don't know how DH & I will get through the holidays without fighting.  (Unless I, once again, just ignore the fact that my needs come last with him.)

Ho, ho, hum.

(That's sort of in between "Ho ho ho" and "Bah, humbug.")

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#9 of 10 Old 12-13-2011, 10:34 AM

I usually do but not this year. We were forced to move ( due to dh job) somewhere I don't want to live and dh is having life threatening health issues. I'm really trying. I did joyfully shop for gifts. Maybe if I put on some Christmas music and bake some family Christmas recipes it will help? I don't know, I'm still trying to stay off of the secular Christmas season that starts in November and ends Christmas day and stay with the liturgical season, and it's still Advent. Ok I can go put on Gaudete, this Sunday is the 3rd Sunday in Advent after all. 

#10 of 10 Old 12-14-2011, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

This is what bothers me about Christmas.  You shouldn't have to worry about gifts all the holiday crud.  Your family is your gift.  And all well wishes your way.  Hope you have a stress free December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann-Marita View Post

I, too, have zero Christmas spirit.  My main Christmas wish is that we are able to pay our mortgage and utilities while keeping food in the pantry.

I just can't get into buying any gifts when I KNOW we need that money for basics (food, electricity, water, phone, etc).  I don't even want to receive anything from DH (or even DD), because I know we don't have the money for ANYthing extra.  We're having to pull money out of life insurance just to get by each month, and now the life insurance has nothing left.

Our free couples counseling is on hiatus for the holidays, and won't start up again until February.  I don't know how DH & I will get through the holidays without fighting.  (Unless I, once again, just ignore the fact that my needs come last with him.)

Ho, ho, hum.

(That's sort of in between "Ho ho ho" and "Bah, humbug.")

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page