If you put up a tree, is it matchy-matchy or the more mis-matchy, the better? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: If you put up a tree, is it matchy-matchy or the more mis-matchy, the better?
Matchy-matchy, Martha Stewart has nothing on me 1 2.38%
Kid's handmade ornaments, hand-me-down glass balls, DH's childhood ornaments, gingerbread men all the way! 41 97.62%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-21-2011, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The tree topper thread got me thinking about a conversation I had with a casual mom-friend.  She has two trees.  In her words, "the nice tree is in the family room, the kid tree is in the basement playroom."  The living room tree looks like it jumped off the page of a Martha Stewart maagazine.  She does not allow any of her kid's handmade ornaments on the living room tree, they are only allowed on the "kid" tree.  This makes me sort of sad.

Our tree is a collection of ornaments from three generations, ones DH and I bought together over the years (buying ones on vacation is a tradition) and now the ones DS makes.  I could not imagine not putting his lovingly made crafts on the tree.  He was so excited to put kindergarten ornaments next to preschool ornaments.  

Is your tree matchy-matchy or hodge-podge?

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2011, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

My tree used to be matchy matchy as you call it.  NOT anymore.  Now it's a mixture of old, new, homemade, I think I see stuffed animal and lots of christmas cards.  We put our cards in the three I love that part.  

Old 12-21-2011, 10:06 AM

We have a hodge podge of ornaments and other assorted stuff, but last year I did tie a bunch of bows w/ red wire ribbon that adds a little cohesiveness and fills in some gaps.  I love it.  I'm not into matchy matchy.  If I was sure the dogs (and kids, for that matter) wouldn't eat it, I would string cranberries and popcorn for garland.  I used to do that as a kid and I love both the process and the final result.

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

Old 12-21-2011, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Our tree has a mix of heirloom ornaments, department store decorations and hand-made crafts of various skill and expertise from intricate Japanese temari balls to toilet-paper-roll-and-felt-and-white-glue angels....

Once upon a time, when I was a somewhat different person, I hankered after a matchy-matchy tree. I even considered having 2 trees - one in the living room and one in the family room. That was before our kids were actually making and choosing ornaments. Now they are almost grown and I've probably invested way too much sentiment and nostalgia into our oddball mix of ornaments.  I love putting them up every year and taking a trip down memory lane to when the kids were small.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneel View Post

The tree topper thread got me thinking about a conversation I had with a casual mom-friend.  She has two trees.  In her words, "the nice tree is in the family room, the kid tree is in the basement playroom."  The living room tree looks like it jumped off the page of a Martha Stewart maagazine.  She does not allow any of her kid's handmade ornaments on the living room tree, they are only allowed on the "kid" tree.  This makes me sort of sad.

Our tree is a collection of ornaments from three generations, ones DH and I bought together over the years (buying ones on vacation is a tradition) and now the ones DS makes.  I could not imagine not putting his lovingly made crafts on the tree.  He was so excited to put kindergarten ornaments next to preschool ornaments.  

Is your tree matchy-matchy or hodge-podge?

Growing up, we had the fancy matchy-matchy tree upstairs in the living room, and the hodge podge tree downstairs in the family room.  We put gifts under the family room tree and really, didn't use the living room anyway (it was for grown-ups!).

Our tree is a total hodge podge tree and I love it!  It has all the old ornaments from when I was growing up, including some that I remember making with my mom when I was about 4 years old.  It also has ornaments I've collected on various trips, etc. and some I've gotten as gifts over the years.  Also, we go tree hunting for our tree every year, so the Charlie Brown-esque look of a natural, cut from the forest tree also adds charm in my opinion.  And then every time you look at it you also remember the great day spent tree hunting and drinking hot chocolate around the campfire with friends and family.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:28 AM

Both! We have dh's childhood ornaments, my picture frame ornaments, the ornaments I give the children, and those the children have made, but I also use red glass ornaments, red snowflakes, and gold beads to unite it all.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 12-21-2011, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

We don't have any hand-me-down ornaments and our LO is still too young to make ornaments and our tree is still a hodge-podge. It looks good to me though orngbiggrin.gif

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 12-21-2011, 05:36 PM

Our tree is my childhood ornament that my mom bought me every year growing up, some the kids have made (they're teens now), some we got free with a fill up at 7-11 when we were first married and some raggedy ann and andy ones that I got for free one year at Target. They were handing them out when you entered the store (I went through twice!). We have a really small house and it always amazes me that others have room for more than 1 tree!
Old 12-21-2011, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

One hodge podge tree in the living room. When we moved into our house 11 years ago, I went looking for Christmas lights. I was tempted by the all white ones, but decided that I simply wasn't sophisticated enough for single color lights to work. I like the mutlicolored lights and the hodge-podge tree. Ours is a collection of stuff I got at Ikea when the kids were little (because they were plastic balls and unbreakable), gifts people have given us, and things the kids have made, plus a few deeply discounted items from the after Christmas sales. Our kids are old enough to remember certain ornaments and they comment on them as they hang them up.

Martha Steward would be appalled by our home in general. We've been living here 11 years, and I still haven't hung a single picture on the walls.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
Old 12-21-2011, 07:40 PM

Growing up we had a "forest".  One matchy tree my parents pick the decorations, and then each child had their own 4 ft tree that we decorated with all our hand made school stuff and an assorted of old stuff my parents didn't want any more.  Filled up the entire living room.

Now assorted ok coordinating colors (red and silver) and then a mass of handmade stuff.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
Old 12-21-2011, 09:32 PM

chel - oh my! You must have had a large livingroom!

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 12-21-2011, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

My tree matches and it's awesome.  Someone else's non-matching tree does not make me "sad" as I just can not get that invested in someone else's holiday decorations. 

Old 12-22-2011, 12:13 AM

Hodge-podge. I don't really care for "matchy-matchy" trees, although some of them are very pretty.

I have a handful of my childhood ornaments (mom let my brother, sister and I pick a bunch when I moved out, as I was the last....but my ex caused a lot of them to be destroyed, so there are only a few left), a few handmade ones from the kids, various ones dh, the kids and I have picked out over the years (we usually take the kids to pick out one ornament each year), some ceramic ones that ds1's grandmother gave him as a child, a birthstone angel for Aaron...all kinds of stuff. We even have two stars, when the tree can hold them both.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 12-22-2011, 07:02 AM

We do two trees-one in the living room, and one in the family room. The living room tree is white and gold, and most of the ornaments are gold photo frames of my kids and pets over the years. I love it. The topper is two large bows. The family room tree has my daughters' ornaments on it, and they decorate it any way they like. :)

Old 12-22-2011, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We decorated the tree last night. It's short and thick, so it was hard to hang all of our ornaments. (This late in the season, there isn't a lot of choice for trees). It was fun to hear the kids reminisce about the ornaments. 

As we put up the tree, the teenagers agreed - spontaneously, without prompting and with no mention of this thread - that a proper family Christmas tree must have a good, fun mix of ornaments, many of them handmade by kids and grandmas, and they must not match too much. It made me laugh, since everyone in our family is in agreement. The kids even snorted something about Martha Stewart, but I know they weren't reading this thread over my shoulder!! Although then I mentioned that I greatly admire Martha's ability to create a huge empire from cooking, cleaning and crafting - I give her a lot of credit.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post

Someone else's non-matching tree does not make me "sad" as I just can not get that invested in someone else's holiday decorations. 

I agree. Kids who don't have anything to eat make me sad, not ones with (count 'em) TWO Christmas trees and enough rooms to put them in. I see a holiday helper spoof thread --> "Neighbor won't let children decorate tree with handmade ornaments, should I call CPS?" lol

Anyways... I love matchy trees but I also love hodge-podge ones. Our is a hodge podge and while it has it's charm, I think next year I'm going to do two. A big matchy, then a smaller hodge-podge, as we don't have enough sentimental or handmade ornaments for a full-sized hodge-podge. I'd love a table-top with meaningful/sentimental ornaments and a big stand-up matchy.

The only thing about matchys are that you either have to look at the SAME matchy tree every year (boring) or buy all new ornaments every year and that would get expensive. Then again, I guess you look at the same hodge-podgy tree every year too (save one or two new ornaments).

Grace-based wife & mama to 2 unschoolers! One & . We live simply & mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015 Praying for another
Old 12-22-2011, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I do a matching tree, mostly it's a color scheme thing - I like to just choose ornaments that are bright colors.  A lot of glitter is involved.  I can not help it, it's so HAPPY.  When we make ornaments for this tree, we make them in bright colors and try to do a clean job so they're nice and shiny.  There's this ADORABLE ornament where you use a kid's hand print on a glass ball to make snowmen?  So cute.  I take some things off and add somethings in each year.  You can have sentimental ornaments in a color scheme.

In our last house, I had room for two trees and I SHOULD be able to do that here next year.  The other tree was more traditional colors, but still very shiny.  I have a nice mix of glass ornaments and some crochet things my grandmothers and friends have made.  I have these teeny starched angels that are adorable.  So many of those ornaments came from my mom and grandmothers and they're fragile so my daughter can't really help with this one like she can with the glittery tree.  Most of those are pretty durable.

She also has her own tiny tree that has ornaments she's  made at school or at home or with friends and family.  It's a nice nightlight for her in the Christmas season. She made a paper chain countdown garland and tearing off a loop is the FIRST thing she does every morning.  It's really sweet and it's a good place for all her hand mades.  It also means she can be in charge of editing what goes and what is kept from year to year.  I don't have the heart to get rid of any of it. 

My family likes to give ornaments as gifts so I have MANY.  Some of us make ornaments every year and mine always come in colors to match one tree other the other.  I try to make mine to match whatever tree they're going on.  One family does a bright tree (it's cool because they collect various things and they've managed to find those things in bright colors.  I LOVE their tree and I love thinking of things to add to it), two others are more traditional. 

I LOVE the holiday season.  I especially love batting clean up at all the tree/wreath/ornament sales the day after Christmas.  Get a lot of gift shopping done for the next year that way.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post

My tree matches and it's awesome.  Someone else's non-matching tree does not make me "sad" as I just can not get that invested in someone else's holiday decorations. 

Heck, I can't get that invested in my OWN holiday decorations!

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
Old 12-22-2011, 12:09 PM

It's a combo. Our tree is decorated with a bunch of different colours/styles of ornaments including a bunch that we painted. However, we tie everything together with red garland and matching red and silver glass ornaments.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:35 PM

This year, we have one tree (artificial) and it's just a whole bunch of randomness, including all the kids homemade ornaments.  In the past, and what I want to do next year, is have one tree in the formal living room (not at all formal, since it currently has a drum set in it) - and that tree will be my pretty matchy-matchy themed tree.  This is the one with 3 windows facing the road/front of the house. Then in the family room, we'll have a bigger, real tree with the kids decorating it.  I was just too lazy this year, I guess.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I grew up with a mismatched, hand-me-down, homemade-ornament tree and never liked it. :p I liked some of the individual ornaments, but I always wanted a "proper" tree like they had in shopping centres! I'm not that sentimental about stuff - if my childhood ornaments got bequeathed to me I'd almost certainly chuck 'em.

We only bothered to get a tree for the first time last year, but both years we've had a matchy-matchy tree. But before you accuse me of poisoning the joy of DD's childhood or whatever... she helped me make the ornaments both years. Last year we hung cinnamon sticks and made puffy bow things out of shiny blue paper. This year we made cinnamon salt dough stars and hearts, painted gold and/or iced with white icing. I like the ritual of making the decorations, and making new ones each year means we don't a) get bored with them, or b) have to store them all year. It's awesome.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

We only bothered to get a tree for the first time last year, but both years we've had a matchy-matchy tree. But before you accuse me of poisoning the joy of DD's childhood or whatever... she helped me make the ornaments both years. Last year we hung cinnamon sticks and made puffy bow things out of shiny blue paper. This year we made cinnamon salt dough stars and hearts, painted gold and/or iced with white icing. I like the ritual of making the decorations, and making new ones each year means we don't a) get bored with them, or b) have to store them all year. It's awesome.

I think that is a wonderful tradition and what a neat idea to incorporate family effort into a holiday activity.

I wanted to add ginger bread people to this year's tree but DH would not allow it as we are battling mice.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:45 PM

Did any of you guys see/hear this story on NPR? Hilarious, and on topic!

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

Old 12-23-2011, 07:54 PM

We've got a beautiful hodgepodge. Mostly all jewelled tone, big, pretty ornaments and DD's beautiful handmade stuff. I love it!

This year we added a little purple tree (that came from the Elf). That has ornaments that DD's Elf brought her. smile.gif

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanaduMama View Post

Awesome!

Old 12-28-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanaduMama View Post

Love it! love.gif

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

User Tag List