Sick Kid- Still Go to Christmas Dinner???? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-23-2011, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Preface- My sister-in-law and her 3 kiddos live with my in-laws while her husband is deployed.

My mother-in-law texted us this morning that my 3 yo nephew was sick with a fever and vomiting since yesterday. He had a doc appointment this morning and is getting antibiotics. The 2 younger kids seem fine so far, as does everyone else in the house. 

The rest of the bad news is that today, this afternoon, we were supposed to go to my in-laws for Christmas. Today is the only day we'll all be able to get together with DH's family for the next couple of months. DH's sister and his brother are in town and won't be back for another month or so. SIL with the kiddos is leaving tomorrow to take the kids to her hubby's family for the next week so we can't see them a while and by then, everyone else will be gone! 

We decided not to go today to my in-laws. MIL said she would spray everything with Lysol and keep DN in a different room. My other SIL and BIL are still going but they don't have kids. So basically we are the only ones staying home today.

We don't want DS to get sick, much less us. We feel really bad about this but DS is only 16 months and still puts everything in his mouth. 

SOOO- What would you do? I don't want to deal with vomit in MY house on Christmas Day!

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#2 of 12 Old 12-23-2011, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had some folks with a tummy flu bail on "soup and solstice"... I'm grateful that they did. I do not want to be sick over this rare long weekend off with my whole family home.
#3 of 12 Old 12-23-2011, 11:51 AM

Regular, run of the mill, cold, go. But, a stomach virus? No freaking way! Our family went to a party where one of the family members was sick with a stomach virus in another room. About 75% of the party guests were vomiting within the next 48 hrs. It was terrible. Too risky, i'd skip it.
#4 of 12 Old 12-23-2011, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Our family didn't care if you were sick.  If you were little you were on the couch with abuela while the other kids ran and played.  I'm sorry you have to miss the family event, but you do what you think is right for your family. 

blsilva likes this.
#5 of 12 Old 12-23-2011, 12:13 PM

How will antibiotics help a fever and vomiting?

I'd stay home. No, actually, I'd stay home with the kids and send my husband to spend time with his family. He can practice good sanitation, wash his hands thoroughly before he leaves their house and immediately upon arriving again.

No way would I risk a toddler getting sick with vomiting though. The several times I woke up with vomit in my hair were quite enough. If you have things planned for the 24th and 25th, you don't want to go there.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#6 of 12 Old 12-23-2011, 02:50 PM

Stay Home.

This happens with smaller children. You dont want a virus going thru your home. Besides, if he is vomiting (poor little guy) than he dosent need antibiotics, he has a bug and he would not keep them down anyhow. I would rather have pissed off family members than a virus going thru my home and I could potentially also be sick from making it even harder to take care of a little one with it.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#7 of 12 Old 12-23-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post

Stay Home.

This happens with smaller children. You dont want a virus going thru your home. Besides, if he is vomiting (poor little guy) than he dosent need antibiotics, he has a bug and he would not keep them down anyhow. I would rather have pissed off family members than a virus going thru my home and I could potentially also be sick from making it even harder to take care of a little one with it.

yeahthat.gif

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#8 of 12 Old 12-23-2011, 04:49 PM

I would have stayed home too.  Not worth the germs.

Mama to three

#9 of 12 Old 12-23-2011, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies everyone, makes me feel a little better!

MIL tried to convince us to come, saying germs are everywhere and we can't just stay home all the time. Yeah, that's true but we're not putting our kiddo in a house with DEFINITE vomit germs everywhere, knowing he'll crawl, eat, and play in them. Rrggg. Then SIL with the kids sent DH an ugly text when she found out we weren't going :( MIL and my other SIL texted us later trying to get us to go over just to open gifts since nephew was running around and happy by the afternoon. I think the whole family is a pretty peeved at us now. :( I hate that this situation has gotten uncomfortable!

DH mentioned this, which makes total sense: If only they'd said "Nephew is sick, come if you want but we totally get it if you don't come!" Instead it was more: "We sprayed everything with Lysol and probably no one will get sick, we'll see you at 2:00!" Dang it, we're parents now and we do what's best for US and OUR family!

When DS is sick with anything other than a mild cold, we stay home or warn our guests and assume others will do the same. We've gone to see SIL too many times and found her kids were pretty sick and had to just end up staying, hoping none of us caught it. I hate that!! I think SIL is just so used to at least one of her 3 kiddos being sick that it doesn't bother her anymore.... And now she and the rest of the family think we're crazy for being "germophobes". DH wants to sit them down and tell them our "If you are sick, tell others to stay away" theory but I told him that might not go over too well! ;)

Sorry for the rant!!

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#10 of 12 Old 12-25-2011, 09:10 AM

Sorry to hear thats what happened. One of the other things you learn as parents is dealing with others while protecting you family. Sometimes you have to do whats right even if its not the popular choice instead of doing whats popular and not the right choice.

I am pretty sure you will have to deal with the wrath of MIL and SIL and their petty texts for a long time.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#11 of 12 Old 12-25-2011, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Sorry to hear of the outcome. I've got 4 kids and yes, one is almost always ill but I would not willingly go and expose them to a stomach virus. Run of the mill runny nose is one thing, vomiting and diarrhea is quite another. Yuck. We've actually canceled Thanksgiving dinner 1 or 2 times (I host) because one of the kids had a stomach virus, I was not about to pass it along. We just reschedule for another day once everyone was well. This stuff happens. I'm guessing this will not not the first time this happens but at least it sounds like you and your DH are a united front about it to the unsupporting family members. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#12 of 12 Old 12-25-2011, 06:50 PM

Maybe you should say that you are following the common sense school sick rules and will reschedule a visit if your house or they had a fever (defined as 101F), vomited, or had diarrhea in the past 24hrs.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page