New Year's Resolutions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 12-30-2011, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I do these every year with great delight; sometimes I even accomplish them. :p Last year was a bit of a bust, largely due to pre- and post-partum depression, but I did do a few of the things on my list. I think we managed to get out for a family outing every month (to a park, the model trains, etc), and I knitted four of my proposed five items; so, you know. Coulda been worse.

This is my current draft of my 2012 resolutions:

-Do/make/buy one thing every week inspired by Pinterest. Someone on MDC got me onto Pinterest, and I'm addicted - but inspiration isn't really inspiration if you don't actually act on it, is it? Some of the projects I like, like a ruffled duvet cover, are quite time-consuming, but there are plenty of minor projects like baking and games with DD to do on my off weeks. (The funny thing is, I don't even have a Pinterest account, because I'm not on Facebook! Oh well, I can bookmark things.)

-Read one Christianity-related book for every other book (or two, might be more realistic) I read. I'm defining that loosely - it can be a commentary, theology, biography, apologetic, devotional, whatever, or even a book of the Bible itself. I love to read, but have gotten woefully behind on educating myself in my faith, and my father has literally thousands of books I can borrow, so there's no excuse!

-Do one thing with DH every week to make us Better People. I've actually already organised this. With DH, I typed up a list of 52 things, cut the list into strips and put them in a jar. We'll pull out one every week. It's a mix of things - "Give someone a batch of homemade ice cream", "Make a kite with DD", "Weed the lawn", that sort of stuff. DH is going along with it, although without great enthusiasm. :p

-We're moving into a new house on January 14. The rent is considerably cheaper. So we're going to put the difference into another account (mine, heh) by automatic payment and pretend it's gone for rent, as a painless way to save. I also got DH to agree that at the end of every month, if we have more than $2000 in the main account, we'll transfer the excess to mine. We've never been good at saving, but hopefully this will help us sock some money away. DH has his own business, so we never quite know when money's coming in, which makes saving tricky.

-I'm also going to attempt a grocery budget, by looking through our grocery bills on the bank statements, figuring out how much we spend a week and then trying to spend, I dunno, $20 or $30 less than that per week. Haven't really gotten onto that yet.

That's about it so far. I have dozens of other ideas, but I'm trying to stay realistic. Amyone else?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 42 Old 12-30-2011, 06:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

- A budget... I don't have one.

- Stop bathing the cat.  He hates me.

- Put in three new ceiling fans

- Get the wiring in my house fixed... heck I'll do it myself!

- Finish the flooring in the last two rooms.

- Get my kids to agree to give me my bed back.  DH is sleeping in one of theirs and I'm in between.

- Seed my front lawn... then hover over it all spring wagging my finger and glaring at the neighborhood children.

- Put up new drywall in the garage... which will help me learn how to make it pretty when I do it in the house.

- Paint the tile in the bathroom... yes this can be done.  I promise I've seen it last.

- Paint a wall teal... because I love teal.

- Learn to knit with DD1.

- Help DD2 play the guitar.

- Play more than one song on the piano.

#3 of 42 Old 12-30-2011, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Run the Chicago marathon in less than 4:40. I can only focus on one major goal at a time!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#4 of 42 Old 12-30-2011, 09:08 AM

Keep all my lists/notes/research in a notebook instead of on pieces of paper all over the house that I can never ever find.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#5 of 42 Old 12-30-2011, 09:25 AM

Thoughts for the New Year

Live authentically.  Reflect and ask for feedback from those who know you well and those who know you less well.  Listen, remove your blinders, and commit to learn and grow.  Love bountifully.  Apply love first to yourself (for we cannot fully love others if we do not first love our self) and then broadcast it with abandon; knowing its lasting balm will never fail.  Live in grace and gratitude, and resolve to be a human being who better reflects the wondrous pedigree we all share. – Barbara L. Nast

#6 of 42 Old 12-30-2011, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

- spend less time at the computer reading about cleaning/decluttering and actually DO some !

- loose 30 pounds

#7 of 42 Old 12-30-2011, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've been so sick this week I haven't had the energy to think much on this but:

-FINALLY reach my goal weight

-find a daily rhythm for myself & the children

-support dh in a major career change which may mean me going back to some sort of work temporarily

-like smokering - stop looking at all the wonderful ideas online & start doing them

-compete in at least 3 powerlifting meets

Smokering - you don't need fb to be on pinterest - just an e-mail, I used my hotmail account.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#8 of 42 Old 12-30-2011, 05:23 PM

Nurture myself in all ways. love.gif

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#9 of 42 Old 12-30-2011, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Smokering - you don't need fb to be on pinterest - just an e-mail, I used my hotmail account.

Really? Huh. Just requested an invite, and they put me on their waiting list (whatever that means - why would they need a waiting list?). So, cool, I guess. Thanks! I don't plan to go nuts with the whole "places I want to go on holiday" or "for my million-dollar dream home" boards, but it would be handy to collect the pins I actually plan to do.

In fact, I'm just about to start making a pink roulade from Pinterest, for dessert tonight. :p

#10 of 42 Old 12-30-2011, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)

I like to think of resolutions as a giant to do list. Helps motivate me to Get Things Done. Mine are - 

- Move OUT of Chicago in September. The ten year love affair with the city is sadly over. Chicago, I divorce you! 

- Figure out our long term job/financial situation. Can of worms there, but what the hey. We'll give it a shot. 

- Post articles to my blog Apartment Farm and my new food blog here at MDC every week. 

- Attempt to not touch savings and funnel as much as possible into it for a down payment on a house. 

- Celebrate my 30th birthday with a short weekend trip with just my husband and I (maybe... still can't imagine leaving my son for more than a few hours at a time!).

- Do most of the Christmas gifts hand made, complete by November. 

- Go camping with the kiddo at Indiana Dunes. 

- Go to book club every month. 

- Join a mommy group so the kiddo and I can make some mommy/baby friends. 

- Write a book proposal. 

There's probably more, but those are the high notes. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#11 of 42 Old 12-31-2011, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Wow, smokering your list is impressive!

I have about a million resolutions but here's a sampling:

Get fit or at the very least actually do any exercise at all other than occasional walking with the kiddos lol

Grow deeper in my faith

Focus more on self-care (carving out a bit of time for myself, nurturing my mind/body more and so on)

Be more disciplined about saving money -- our savings takes a bit of a hit around the holidays but thank God we carry no debt

Be a bit more focused on homeschooling. We unschool but I think my oldest is requiring a bit of structure so I'm going to honor that and add a little more predictable rhythm to our days.

I'm going to focus on decluttering and decorating in the new year. I'm pretty much all decluttered (we're quite minimalist actually) but I want my home to be warmer and more...I don't know. I want to paint or something lol

I love the 'be a better person' idea, smokering. Maybe we'll employ that too!

I want to reach out more as well. We tend to be very 'keep to ourselves' type people which has it's perks but I should probably at least introduce myself to our neighbors or something lol

Wow there are just so many things I want to do this year.

Grace-based wife & mama to 2 unschoolers! One & . We live simply & mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015 Praying for another
#12 of 42 Old 12-31-2011, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I love the 'be a better person' idea, smokering. Maybe we'll employ that too!

I want to reach out more as well. We tend to be very 'keep to ourselves' type people which has it's perks but I should probably at least introduce myself to our neighbors or something lol

Thanks! Today's January 1 here, so we pulled out the first slip. It was "Give someone flowers". I was kinda hoping to get that one when I had a garden full of blooms, but oh well - the supermarket bouquets are fairly cheap and surprisingly nice. Now I think of it, I know plenty of candidates who could use a bunch of flowers - it's Mum's birthday this week, I have a sick friend and a sick sister, and know two mums who are going through the doldrums with their kids. I think I'll give them to one of the latter - a friend of mine who has three young kids and is often overwhelmed and frustrated. 'Cause I know that feeling. :p

DH and I are both a bit Aspie, so hospitality doesn't come naturally to us. I love cooking for guests, but making conversation, dealing with the kids, serving up, cleaning the house and so on - I just can't seem to do it with grace. I'm fine with our circle of close friends, but I get very nervous about inviting people we know less well, ie people from church. Plus, DH really doesn't like interacting with people he doesn't already know well. He can be perfectly charming when he has to be, but he tends to shut down and retreat to his office to go on the computer, which is hardly helpful in the middle of a dinner party!

Part of it's genuine unavoidable Aspieness, but part of it's just him not wanting to bother cultivating the virtue of hospitality. He agrees with that assessment, albeit reluctantly. :p So we're going to try to be more hospitable this year - I won't insist on inviting the people he utterly can't stand (because he finds them boring or their mannerisms irritating), and he will endeavor to be civil and communicative while the guests are here. We shall see how it goes...

#13 of 42 Old 12-31-2011, 05:18 PM

It should be "quit smoking for good" but I suck.
This year I want to learn how to be grateful for all the wonderful things I have - a loving husband, beautiful kids, secure home and job - and not be envious and dissatisfied. I'm trying to figure out how to do that without being totally cheesy.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#14 of 42 Old 12-31-2011, 10:19 PM

I never really do New Year's Resolutions because I know that I'll just fall off the wagon and feel bad about myself. But I do want to make some changes in my life, and it happens to be Jan 1st (in a few hours).... mainly I want to find a way to work less. Really, I would love to be a SAHM, but I know that's probably not possible, so I'll just try to work less hours. DH is graduating grad school next month so big changes are a-comin. 

And Smokering- if you want an invite to Pinterest, just PM me your email address and I'll add you. Otherwise, you might be waiting a long time for Pinterest to add you. 

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#15 of 42 Old 01-01-2012, 05:12 AM

It is a long wait.  I waited 2 weeks... by then... I lost interest.  He he he  interest...

#16 of 42 Old 01-01-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaFrench View Post

- spend less time at the computer reading about cleaning/decluttering and actually DO some !

- loose 30 pounds

This exactly!!!

And.....

quit smoking... I am outing myself on here hoping that helps... I am a closet smoker.help.gif

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#17 of 42 Old 01-01-2012, 09:26 AM

I'm a smoker.  And the more I think about it... lots of people in my family are smokers too.  I got a 96 yr old granny who smokes.  She kind of rocks because she also has 3... count em three boyfriends!  I sometimes try to imagine the fight between them all if they ever found out!  One is a younger man in his late 80's!  WOOO HOOO!  As bad as smoking is for you I do go through all the other things I do that are equally as bad and as myself if I"m willing to give those things up as well.  With all the new information out there on all the ways I could die by my environment... I think I need to move into a bubble. 

I will not give up smoking though.  As much as I've wanted to at times, I enjoy it.  I don't smoke around others.  I smoke on my back porch.  My mom is always telling me to quit... I told her to quit eating processed foods and to stop consuming so much aspartame... WHAT?!  Theres nothing wrong with those things!  Geez! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie2 View Post

This exactly!!!

And.....

quit smoking... I am outing myself on here hoping that helps... I am a closet smoker.help.gif

#18 of 42 Old 01-01-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

I'm a smoker.  And the more I think about it... lots of people in my family are smokers too.  I got a 96 yr old granny who smokes.  She kind of rocks because she also has 3... count em three boyfriends!  I sometimes try to imagine the fight between them all if they ever found out!  One is a younger man in his late 80's!  WOOO HOOO!  As bad as smoking is for you I do go through all the other things I do that are equally as bad and as myself if I"m willing to give those things up as well.  With all the new information out there on all the ways I could die by my environment... I think I need to move into a bubble. 

What's most impressive about your granny is that there aren't even that many men still alive her age - and she has THREE of them! What's her secret?
As for the smoking, I have no doubt it's the worst thing I do but I just can't quit. Oh, I've quit many times while TTC/pregnant/nursing but I just can't make it stick. I just like it and I'm plain old addicted.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#19 of 42 Old 01-01-2012, 10:53 AM

You can do it. I quit 5 years ago. Cold turkey after smoking 25 years. Just do it. One day at a time.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#20 of 42 Old 01-01-2012, 11:02 AM

I really thought I was the only MDC mama who smoked!!!!  LOL.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#21 of 42 Old 01-01-2012, 11:26 AM

You're not!  I think I like to smoke so much because I attribute smoking to talking.  I quit for three years once and though I was proud of myself it was a daily struggle and I felt so guilty just wanting one.  My friend quit for good about 5 yrs ago but she loves the smell.  LOVES the smell. 

#22 of 42 Old 01-01-2012, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

I kinda like the smell. Not stale cigarette smoke, that's vile - but occasionally I'll walk past someone who's smoking and go "Mmm, that smells nice". Which is odd, because I've never smoked.

So last night I looked up our bank statements and figured out how much we spend each week on food. I'm too embarrassed to share the figure here, but it is a LOT. I don't quite get how we manage to spend that much, given that we don't eat much takeout or processed food - but yikes, we spend a lot on food. So we're going to do the cash-only system. I haven't decided on the exact figure yet, but I'll withdraw it at the start of the week and then, once it's gone we're living out of the pantry! Wish us luck...

#23 of 42 Old 01-01-2012, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

smokering - I often think people are lying when they say how little they spend on groceries! lol. We eat meat so that ups it but we really buy nothing strange, extravagant or packaged so I can't figure it.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#24 of 42 Old 01-03-2012, 12:28 PM

-cleanse the house of unused toys

-do my 3-month (I have this all typed out and ready to go) work out plan and follow it up with something

-improve our diet (mostly through more fruits and vegetables and less sugar) we seem to get worse in the winter because the produce available sucks.

-preserve more good food for winter season (see above bullet)

-learn to sew: well I kinda know, but I want to be better. Some projects I am planning on are halloween costume, christmas jammies, and maybe some summery overalls (all for DS) and maybe a                        dress for me  

#25 of 42 Old 01-03-2012, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

- Seed my front lawn... then hover over it all spring wagging my finger and glaring at the neighborhood children.

ROTFLMAO.gif

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
#26 of 42 Old 01-03-2012, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

My only resolution is to use canvas shopping bags -- NEVER plastic again!

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
#27 of 42 Old 01-04-2012, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

-Do one thing with DH every week to make us Better People. I've actually already organised this. With DH, I typed up a list of 52 things, cut the list into strips and put them in a jar. We'll pull out one every week. It's a mix of things - "Give someone a batch of homemade ice cream", "Make a kite with DD", "Weed the lawn", that sort of stuff. DH is going along with it, although without great enthusiasm. :p

This is an awesome idea -- you should put it on Pinterest! lol.gif I'm in love with that site, and I actually do lots of things from it -- like you said, for every long involved project there are plenty of quickies that you can whip out in just a few minutes with household supplies. 

Hmm, New Year's resolutions -- I haven't really thought about it. I like the "one per week" aspect of the one above -- I've never really done a resolution that way. Maybe I'll steal the idea, or something similar...

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#28 of 42 Old 01-04-2012, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have only one New Year's resolution this year:

Not to brood on things, not to take things so much to heart.

So far, so good.

#29 of 42 Old 01-04-2012, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Bah. Pinterest finally sent me an invite, but sure enough, you can only sign up with Facebook or Twitter. It says they require FB or Twitter to make it easier for pinners to find each other, and to reduce spam. Hmph. It did say I could "unlink my account at any time", so maybe I could join up with DH's FB account and then unlink it? I dunno.

#30 of 42 Old 01-04-2012, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Bah. Pinterest finally sent me an invite, but sure enough, you can only sign up with Facebook or Twitter. It says they require FB or Twitter to make it easier for pinners to find each other, and to reduce spam. Hmph. It did say I could "unlink my account at any time", so maybe I could join up with DH's FB account and then unlink it? I dunno.

Yeah, you can. When you set up your profile you input your email, then you can unlink the FB and log in with email from there on. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page