Help! Baby shower being planned for me, a non materialistic, minimalist, spiritualistic kind of woman - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-30-2011, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is a call for help. My family (mainly my mother and so on) are planning a baby shower for me. I've already mentioned that I'm not really interested in playing games and that I think both genders should attend. This is going to be a family only shower as I live in a different state and all my family lives in one state. (My friends are luckily more in tune with my personality and I'll be having a blessing way with them). I want the shower to be more of a family gathering rather than some ridiculous 'pin the diaper on the baby' games and silliness. My mother and aunt have suggested that males in my family will definitely not want to attend, which is actually a little hurtful..as I'm just looking to celebrate the initiation of a new child into our family.j

Anyway, I need help- I'm into natural living, country living. I don't know what to register for. The family wants to buy/give me a LOT of new things and I want to make sure that they are going to be things I will actually use. So, this being my first baby and me being only 20, I'm kind of at a loss as to what I'll actually need

What are the things that you found the most helpful? I'm planning on baby-wearing, definitely breast-feeding, and I want to co-sleep (but the man isn't very into the co-sleeping idea) Input on the co-sleeper bedside crib deal would be helpful, ideas on online places I can register for more natural, organic baby clothes etc. Or just any empathy for other women who have dealt with a big baby shower that just didn't really line up with their personality will be greatly appreciated.

Love,

ambikus millicai

#2 of 6 Old 12-30-2011, 02:35 PM

Our family had a fairly big shower for us with only family members of both genders attending.  What worked for us is that we signed up for a baby registry with Babies R Us (which had a fairly good selection of things when we did it) and selected the things that we thought we would probably need.  It worked out really well.  We got a Bjorn baby carrier, a couple of slings, a nursing pillow, etc.  Real practical stuff.  One of my SILs had the wonderful idea of buying a bunch of white, all-cotton onesies of differing sizes and everyone at the shower got to paint a onesie with non-toxic permanent paint.  They are keepsakes as well as practical in the first year.  My SIL listed the baby registry on the e-cards that she sent out.  People thanked us afterward for the suggestions and I think it gave everyone a great feeling to actually get us stuff that we would use.

I also suggested non-infant clothes, and I got a lot of those which came in handy once DD started growing at incredible rates.  That was great for me because the growth spurts sort of sneak up on you and at least I was somewhat prepared.  

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#3 of 6 Old 12-30-2011, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I love the idea of painting the onesies.  That's really special.

#4 of 6 Old 12-30-2011, 06:22 PM

Our crib, stroller, and change table all went un-used. We're keeping things minimal this time around, but some things I wouldn't mind being gifted:

- baby cariers (Ergo, Ring sling...personally I love Heart to Hearts, wraps)

- cloth diapers (I like pre-folds and covers) and diaper pail

- padraig cottage booties/slippers (http://www.padraigcottage.com/xmas.php)

- a swing or chair or somewhere safe to rest the baby when you need 3 minutes to pee

- a breastfeeding pillow

- receiving blankets

- infant bath tub (?) and wash cloths

- 3-6 and 6-9, etc. clothing so you don't get 24 newborn outfits that last two weeks....you'll need bigger clothes eventually since the kid's only going to grow

P.S. My friend hosted a babyshower where we tie-dyed onsies and that was cute.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#5 of 6 Old 12-30-2011, 07:19 PM

you could register at Amazon.com- that way you have a wider selection of stores and items to choose from.

I second the cloth diapers, boppy, etc. maybe some lansinoh cream. Maybe some glass bottles in case you want to pump? maybe a pump, too, I don't know! I found a copy of Dr. Sears Baby Book at a thrift store and I think that is good to have on hand, but with the internet I guess it is somewhat irrelevant now.
Someone gave us a couple outfits in each size from 9 mo-2t and that was pretty awesome.

If you haven't seen the kids clothes yet at Zutano.com they are pretty cute. Hanna Anderson has some organics. here is another one: http://www.katequinnorganics.com/
Here is an article about organic kid's clothes.
http://www.greenamerica.org/livinggreen/childrensclothing.cfm?gclid=CNKG3Yisq60CFQdjhwodHxwOnA

You should put some muslin/ gauze swaddling blankets on your list:
http://www.swaddledesigns.com/lc/Swaddling-Blankets-Marquisette-Swaddling-Blankets/SS00/CategoryMarquisette.html
or
http://www.adenandanais.com/shop/classic.aspx
they are great because they are larger than the regular flannel receiving blankets and also less bulky- perfect for swaddling.

natural rubber pacis http://www.amazon.com/Natursutten-BPA-Free-Natural-Pacifier-Orthodontic/dp/B001AVNK6E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325301454&sr=8-1
wooden teethers http://www.amazon.com/Waldorf-Maple-Teether-Natural-Teething/dp/B000VLR178/ref=sr_1_2?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1325301492&sr=1-2

what about registering for some of the books you loved as a child?

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#6 of 6 Old 12-31-2011, 11:20 AM

I can certainly understand not having the shower of your dreams! My mom & her friend planned a huge shower for me - complete with silly games & a number of guests I didn't even know!
I chose to not say anything & take the "I'm so fortunate to have so many people who care about me & my new baby" approach. While it was not quite what I envisioned, I had fun & was pleased my mom felt so good about planning/throwing the party.
I also agree with a pp, it's wonderful to receive/get clothes for 18 mos. & up. I had an infant wardrobe large enough for triplets & not much for thereafter. In fact, now I usually gift new moms toddler sized clothes!
Congratulations & hope you have fun playing "pin the diaper"! Lol wink1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page