tinfoil hat worthy - or a real concerns - where do you stand? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-23-2012, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For kicks...

Do you use the following regularly, try to minimally, or not at all:

microwaves

fluoride

teflon

regular deodorant

xrays

asparatame

Just curious what MDC says about these fairly common yet controversial things.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 05:40 PM

Microwave - minimally

Flouride - not at all

Teflon - minimally

Regular deodorant - regularly, thought I know better... need to find something else

Xrays - minimally

Aspartame - not at all, and ditto for sucralose

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

For kicks...

microwaves

fluoride

teflon

regular deodorant

xrays

asparatame

sleepytime.gifjog.gifSleepy, running, wife to superhero.gif DH 08/09 -  Mama to jog.gif DS 8/08 & love.gif DD 1/11

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. " - Japanese Proverb

Old 01-23-2012, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

To answer my own

microwaves

I do not own one.  I will use one at work, my mothers house, ect.  So - minimal use.  I acknowledge my avoidance  might be tinfoil hat worthy wink1.gif  

fluoride

I do - I think it is in my toothpaste?  I am thinking of looking into it - someday.

teflon

Only on pans I own that still have it.  I will not buy any more teflon or non-stick pots and pans.-

regular deodorant

Yes - but I am thinking of stopping. Will replace with crystal salt.   I do not shave, so it is less likely for aluminum to enter my skin.

xrays

Only as genuinely needed.  Dentists love me (not).

asparatame

Gross. No.  

Old 01-23-2012, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
microwaves
mostly for the speed defrost feature

fluoride
in toothpaste only, its not in the water here

Teflon
I own just one non stick pan I can't part with.. the rest is stainless

regular deodorant
not in 25 years and I buy my kids the more natural stuff, too

x-rays
only at the dentist or if one of my kids was thought to have broken a bone

aspartame
never..it has an aftertaste I don't like so I have never bought products with this ingredient
Old 01-23-2012, 05:59 PM

microwaves- minimally, and always with glass. I dont do plastic in the microwave unless its an emergency. Mainly used for defrosting stuff and reheating DH's coffee. I'd probably use it more if my microwave wasnt such a POS. It is my dorm microwave from college.....10 inches by 10 inches.

fluoride- everyday. DH and I both didnt use fluoride for about 5 years and were vegetarian and had good diets. Our teeth both had cavities afterwards. We use fluoride toothpaste, but filter our water because it taste like chlorine.

teflon- you mean "egg skillets"? Thats what they are called in our house. We have one. Its for eggs, and that's all we use it for. I hate having to remember to use a certain utencil with a certain pan, and I use tongs for almost everything, so teflon is out of the question. Flakes of metal in my food is gross, whether it causes cancer or not. Im a big fan of buying sustainable cookware (as in it does not have to be replaced for a long time if ever) and teflon is at max a two year product for me.

regular deodorant- If I wear deodorant, its regular. I dont wear it often, but I dont think the natural stuff works. I dont mind my body odor, but if I have to go somewhere (doctor, family event, ect) I use it and I want the kind that keeps me from smelling like body odor.

xrays- If we need them, we get them. I'm not a huge fan of them, but I also think if a bone is broken we need to know how to properly set it.

asparatame- everyday. Im a diet coke fanatic. Cant get off it. Totally addicted.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 01-23-2012, 05:59 PM

microwaves - never owned one bfore baby was born. Now? I use it daily. Meh, reality...

fluoride - not knowingly. I imagine it's in the tap water but def NOT inou toothpaste/mouth wash, etc.

teflon - yes, but I bought a super fancy set that hasn't chipped or scratched since we got them about 6 months ago...if they do start falling appart I will probably move to stainless steel, even though they are a nightmare to clean and we have no dishwasher :(

regular deodorant - Nope, Toms.

xrays - Only if necessary. I haven't had one in so long...I can't even remember!?

asparatame - Nope!

Lactivist-athiest-feminist wife to DH hola.gif , mommy-in-training to beautiful DS Kai, 9/2011 joy.gif

namaste.gif,intactivist.gif,familybed1.gif, saynovax.gif

Old 01-23-2012, 06:05 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Microwaves--daily (I try to use glass instead of plastic)

fluoride--in toothpaste, but not tablets or water

teflon--never in our home cooking (I'm sure restaurants we go to use it)

regular deodorant--daily

xrays--when necessary

aspartame--never

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 01-23-2012, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Deodorant and flouride I use regularly and it is regular deodrant. We have had xrays when necessary. The rest we avoid, especially artificial sweeteners since they ate migraine triggers.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:31 PM
Dia

microwaves Never

fluoride Rarely in an occasional toothpaste (when I am travelling, etc)

teflon Never

regular deodorant Never, but after years of not using it, and a raw diet, I honestly don't need it

xrays Never

asparatame Never

Go ahead and pass me my tinfoil hat :-)

Mama to one amazing ecbaby2.gif
Old 01-23-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:

microwaves

We got rid of ours about a year and a half ago, mostly to save space. I do have some health concerns, but I'm not convinced they're valid. I never used it very much, anyway...mostly for reheating coffee. I don't use one anywhere else.

fluoride

We do use a toothpaste with fluoride, but I don't use it in any other way. I'd like to switch, but never seem to think of it when I'm at the store, and the brands without it are expensive. DH is also not on board with that one at all.

teflon

Not at all. We got rid of our last two teflon pans recently. We only had them because they were wedding presents and we didn't have any other ones.

regular deodorant

I have a sensory "thing" about sweaty armpits, so I use anti-perspirant. So, yes - I use the regular stuff. I suspect it's not great fo rme, but I can't stand the sweat. None of the natural alternatives do anything about perspiration, just about odour.

xrays

hmm...I've had dental x-rays, and I've had some diagnostic ones (TMJ syndrome), but I don't really like them, and certainly don't make extensive use of them, by any means.

asparatame

I hate it, and think it's poison...and still use it. I'm a slightly compulsive gum chewer, and the only non-sugar, non-aspartame brand I can find (Spry) is more expensive and doesn't last as long as the generic brands. So...I still chew gum with aspartame.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 01-23-2012, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

microwaves- Eh

fluoride- No added

teflon- Blah

regular deodorant- Blah

xrays- Blah but sometimes necessary

asparatame-Blah

Old 01-23-2012, 06:57 PM

microwaves  --  We actually recently went without for several months when the old one broke, but did get one again.  IMO, we don't use it that heavily (maybe 1-2x/day) and we also don't microwave plastics.  I could've continued to live without but dh is too lazy to plan to use the toaster oven and stuff (plus reheating frozen pancakes was kinda problematic).

fluoride  --  I alternate using it in toothpaste and getting fluoride-free, I figure that at least reduces it a bit and I'm not living all fluoride-heavy.  

teflon  --  We have 3 pans with it.  Will probably eventually replace them with non-teflon pans.

regular deodorant  --  Don't use it, haven't in years.  Funk butter.  thumb.gif

X-rays  --  I suppose I do get dental ones, and wouldn't pass them up if they were medically recommended, but that isn't something that comes up often.

asparatame  --  Hate it.  I suppose I've sipped dh's pepsi max though in the past year, and it's in there.  Probably the only thing we ever have around that its in.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:59 PM

There has been research suggesting that use of tinfoil hats increases your likelihood of developing cancer of the hair follicle, and substantially increases likelihood of being struck by lightening. lol.gif

Otherwise, I would be wearing a tinfoil hat because :

We don't use microwaves, or tefal, or 'normal' deodorant, or aspartame.

Xrays as needed ( I usually let the dentist have a peek every few years as opposed to the norm which is I think yearly?)

Fluoride: not in our toothpaste, is in our water. We used to filter but it was just a Brita on tap, don't even know if it filters fluoride?

Also avoid: all cosmetics, commercial shampoos/soaps/creams, ultrasounds, plastic as much as possible, vinyl....

I sound like I live in fear, but once a habit is switched it's easier to just keep doing whatever natural alternative you have picked up.

Kaya (29) + Laume (31) = ds Kanoa (8) and dd Zia (2)

Old 01-23-2012, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)

Microwaves--daily (I try to use glass instead of plastic) me too

fluoride--not at all, except in the water supply

teflon--never

regular deodorant--about once a month

xrays--never

aspartame--never

Old 01-23-2012, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yes to:

microwaves

fluoride

regular deodorant

For microwaves, I use glass, and nothing I've read has convinced me that they're inherently evil. Fluoride is in our water. I brush with fluoride toothpaste. Neither amount is big enough for me to worry about. I work in a profession with fairly high person to person contact. I haven't found an alternative deodorant that works for me.

I try not to use teflon and I actively avoid aspartame because I don't like what it does to my body.

I don't know if x-rays are a fair comparison -- I don't know anyone who has x-rays by choice. I have them when medically necessary, and I have my teeth x-rayed yearly. Given how low the doses of x-rays are now compared to when I was a kid, I'm not too worried.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
Old 01-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Dar

microwaves - Own one, use it to do things like melt butter, heat leftovers, etc. I don't wind up using it more than a couple times a week, but that's not from any sort of concern about it. I don't use plastic in it, though.

fluoride - Yep, in toothpaste and in water. We lived on a farm and drank unfluoridated well water for 4 years, and I think that's why Rain had so many cavities.

teflon - Nope. Avoid it.

regular deodorant - Avoid this too...

xrays - Minimal, when necessary. My mom died of a cancer that has x-ray exposure as a known risk factor (and indeed she did have that area x-rayed repeatedly as a child), so I know it's a real concern... but sometimes the good outweighs the possible harm.

aspartame - Avoid, because it tastes bad and gives me headaches, and I feel like it's wrong to trick your body like that... like, your body tastes sweet and expects sugar and doesn't get it, which leads to cravings.

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

Old 01-23-2012, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

microwaves Yes with glass. I try to avoid plastic, but I cannot say it's never happened.

fluoride in our water and toothpaste

teflon Unfortunately, yes. Wish I could say no to this one. I have a nice set of pans that have never chipped & I just can't seem to get rid of them. 

regular deodorant Only on days when I really need it. I'm not going on a field trip to the zoo with 45 1st graders without it!

xrays Yes. I get dental x-rays and I'm fairly accident prone. A few months ago I sliced my finger with a paper cutter and it went through the bone. Ouch!

asparatame No. It tastes bad and it scares me.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:55 PM

microwaves- We haven't had a microwave in our home for over a year. Before that I would say we used it minimally. I don't necessarily feel they are dangerous for occasional use but not necessary either.

fluoride- We don't avoid fluoride. It is in our water and toothpaste I think.

teflon- Avoid

regular deodorant- Use regularly

xrays- I would probably have one if it was medically necessary but it has not been common in my life.

asparatame- avoid

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

Old 01-23-2012, 08:11 PM

microwaves:  Never owned one, but that was more about lack of space / lack of interest.  Cold coffee:  meet saucepan and gas flame.

fluoride:  Water and toothpaste.  Dad's a dentist and has tooted the benefits of fluoride for years, and given that we're practically vegans, I've stuck with fluoride as a safeguard more than anything.

teflon:  Never owned any teflon, but that was more about lack of interest / need. 

regular deodorant:  Oh lordy, yes.  I'm very touchy about how I smell.  Tried natural stuff but it didn't work for me.  

xrays:  Yes, broken bones and dental work.  I have no problems with the minimal exposure if the findings lead to recovery and freedom from pain.  

asparatame:  I don't know.  I use Sweet & Low in my coffee (but only when I'm out) but I think that contains saccharin?  One is probably bad as the other, but I don't think about it too much.  

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:52 PM

I'm suspicious of all these things, but I'm not at a point where I feel comfortable cutting them out of my life or researching for certain whether I want to. I've managed to almost entirely get rid of aspartame (usually tastes nasty anyway!), but I don't limit microwave use at all. Everything else I manage to limit a little bit.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:34 PM

Aspartame is horrid, and that's not tin foil hat-y. It literally makes me ill - like awful migraines and upset tummy.

I'll take real sugar, please.

Eta:
X-rays - yeah, radiation is freaky and all, but in most cases the benefits outweight the risks. I willingly had an X-ray of my back and neck a couple months ago, and consented to a chest X-ray for my DS last week. It's one of those "medicine and technology has it's place" things, IMO.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I use all of them.  Haven't needed many X-rays.  Gradually throwing plastics out for glass containers for the microwave. 

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

I use all of them.  Haven't needed many X-rays.  Gradually throwing plastics out for glass containers for the microwave

This took me forever. It seemed like everytime I got rid of all the plastic, someone sent me something in a perfectly good tupperware container that I just couldnt bare to part with. Its hard not to microwave stuff in plastic if you are storing stuff in plastic. I find that its better for me to use rubbermaid-type containers to store dry bulk foods instead of caving and using them for my leftovers, because if I do that I will inevitably stick it in the microwave.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 01-24-2012, 02:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

microwaves - daily. TBH, I 'm not too concerned although I should make more effort to use glass instead of plastic

fluoride - daily. It is added to our water and we use a flouridated toothpaste

teflon - not daily but probably a bit more than minimally. We have a couple of frying pans and several baking tins which are non-stick. 

regular deodorant - daily

xrays - if I consider them to be clinically indicated then yes but not "routine" X-rays. Fortunately I have not needed many so far.

asparatame - never. Never! NEVER! grossedout.gif It tastes horrible, and I think it's worse for my health than a bit (ok, more than a bit) of cane sugar.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 01-24-2012, 06:01 AM

Quote:

For kicks...

microwaves

Yes, with glass containers only.  Probably not every day, but I buy frozen meals from TJ's for work.

fluoride

Not in our water, but I switch between two toothpastes and one has fluoride.

teflon

I think we have earthenware (?)  I think that's what it's called.  But like a PP, I use a pan with teflon for eggs.

regular deodorant

No.  I make my own deodorant.  Truthfully, it works 10x better than anything I've bought at the store. 

xrays

Because of health problems, I've gotten many, many xrays.  I wish I didn't have to, but in most (if not all) cases it's been medically necessary.

asparatame

I don't chew gum and I drink Hansen's soda if I'm going to drink soda, otherwise I use stevia.  The weird after taste took a while to get used to, but now I prefer it.  I have a soft spot for diet coke, but I don't indulge regularly.  I don't want it to lose it's "special occasion" appeal.

knit.gifmama to  thumbsuck.gif (09/11)

Old 01-24-2012, 06:42 AM

microwaves - daily, but just for boiling small amounts of water and defrosting stuff, and ALWAYS in glass containers.  

fluoride - It's in our water and in our toothpaste. It's not of major concern to me. 

teflon - I have some teflon, but I prefer to use my cast iron when possible. Again, not a major concern, just a preference.  

regular deodorant - When I need it.

xrays - I've had a few x-rays here and there over the years, and u/s with both of my pregnancies. Definitely nothing routine.

asparatame - Don't like the taste, don't need the extra chemicals, so other than an occasional diet Pepsi, I avoid it.

Eva, Tired Single Mama of Hurricane Bella~3/06 and Boy Bug Silas~7/08 fencing.gif

delayedvax.gifintactlact.gifcd.gif

Old 01-24-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:

For kicks...

microwaves - just got our first one!  We use it minimally

fluoride - Regularly - we drink tap water

teflon - not at all

regular deodorant - not at all

xrays - minimally

asparatame - not at all

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

Old 01-24-2012, 06:55 AM

Branditopolis - how do you make your deodorant?

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

Old 01-24-2012, 07:10 AM

microwaves - occasionally... it also is a good place to store food so the cat doesn't eat it...

fluoride - it's in our water but not in our toothpaste (I make my own) and we generally avoid it, I want to get a better water filter but it's not in the budget right now

teflon - no, except a few baking sheets we rarely use that I can't yet afford to replace yet

regular deodorant - no, I make my own

xrays - occasionally... haven't had dental x-rays in almost 10 years but will get them done this year, and I'd use them if needed for medical reasons (broken bones etc.)

asparatame - won't touch it with a 10-foot pole.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Old 01-24-2012, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

microwaves - Fairly minimal use. We don't own one and I wouldn't buy one. We managed without one for about 10 years and didn't really notice it's absence. Our house came equipped with one. I use it for melting butter for baking or a quick re-heat of stuff, that sort of thing. Always, always in glass or ceramic. 

fluoride - yes

teflon - We have one non-stick pan, DH prefers it for eggs. I've tried to convert to cast iron only - possibly once this non-stick pan gets tossed. 

regular deodorant  - me, no. DH and DC, yes. 

xrays - when medically indicated

asparatame - never. 

User Tag List