How cool is your job? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 01-30-2012, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think I might have the coolest job on MDC.  I'm a jazz musician.

Anyone wanna bite?

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#2 of 35 Old 01-30-2012, 07:32 AM

My job is very uncool- I clean houses for a living... what makes it cool is I can work my schedule around my life instead of the other way around.  I used to work in sales at a plant nursery- and aside from the very hard work and very low pay- It was a super cool job for me since I love to garden and learned SOOO MUCH!!!!

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#3 of 35 Old 01-30-2012, 08:05 AM

Jazz musician is cool. I knew a jazz musician who had cds out and stuff and was apparently pretty well known in Canada & Russia. 

I think my job is pretty cool. I write. 

Of course, cool is relative -- someone else may think my job is totally boring. lol.gif

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#4 of 35 Old 01-30-2012, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

What makes my job cool for me is the fact that I get to work from home and be here with my kiddos all day. Not objectively "cool," but to me it kicks ass! 

My friend is a chiropractor, which doesn't automatically sound cool, but right now she's spending a month on Martha's Vineyard with some big wig client who paid for her to come along and provide chiro services to him during his trip. Pretty cool!

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#5 of 35 Old 01-30-2012, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Jazz musician is pretty cool

I'm just a computer turd. 

#6 of 35 Old 01-30-2012, 09:47 AM

Tricky question, OP.  I'm taking the 5th on this one.  winky.gif

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#7 of 35 Old 01-30-2012, 10:00 AM

Not cool...I'm a lawyer.  Not cool on many, many levels.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#8 of 35 Old 01-30-2012, 10:21 AM

I think my job is pretty cool because I enjoy it; also, it's part-time, so I can work mornings while my kids are in school and still go to school myself. 

I photograph newborn babies in local hospitals and it really is a ton of fun.  Almost every shift someone says they wish they had my job, or what a neat job that would be, or don't you just love coming to work every day? 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#9 of 35 Old 01-30-2012, 11:51 AM

Well, my "real" job isn't that cool at all.  No one dreams of having my job when they're a little kid.

But my other job is pretty cool.  I teach dance a few times a week to little kids.  I also run the office and get to design the website and ads and stuff like that; to me, that is cool. 

My co-worker's daughter has the ultimate cool job, though.  She works for NOAA in Hawaii and spends her day scuba diving and stuff. 

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#10 of 35 Old 01-30-2012, 12:06 PM

I'm an oil painter. There's no regular paycheck or benefits, and it's tons of work with little pay (that part's not cool) but otherwise it's awesome!
BeckyBird likes this.
#11 of 35 Old 01-30-2012, 12:45 PM

I work for NASA designing the electronics for spacecrafts. It's the coolest job for a space geek like me. 

purslaine and Imakcerka like this.
#12 of 35 Old 01-30-2012, 01:15 PM

I teach 8th grade  English/Language Arts in a rural public school. I am known on our hall as the "cool" teacher because my students aren't required to use a traditional textbook; instead, I use contemporary stuff to teach my concepts. I did an entire lesson based on Facebook status updates. (They had to be categorized by theme checked for spelling and punctuation, diagrammed, etc.)

If I do use traditional books, I tend to use Poe. He scares the crap out of the kids and I have found I can pretty much teach any concept based on Facebook and Poe.

My favorite thing to do is have the kids bring in something they think I cannot possibly use to teach a lesson, and then spontaneously teach a lesson on it. They haven't defeated me yet!!

And I also think I should get bonus points because, while I am not a jazz musician, my son is. Sheepish.gif

BeckyBird likes this.

DD: I'm bored and want to play Me: What about me? I can play. DD: No thanks, I mean a real person.
#13 of 35 Old 01-30-2012, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

If you love what you do, then your job is cool, right? Congratulations to all of you who truly love your work!

I am a taxidermist. I learned at age 11, and it was a hobby that became a career. Now, I get to work at home in my own shop! (The problem with working at home is that I work harder now than ever before! And I'm a SAHM of a 2 year old, which leaves no free time)

Here's a link to some of my work, if you want to take a look :o)  http://s1186.photobucket.com/albums/z378/naturestudio/?start=all

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#14 of 35 Old 01-30-2012, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

Yeah, you all do have cool jobs. I'm an office gnome in the big bad world of market analysis. Not cool. Not cool at all. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#15 of 35 Old 01-31-2012, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBird View Post

If you love what you do, then your job is cool, right? Congratulations to all of you who truly love your work!

I am a taxidermist. I learned at age 11, and it was a hobby that became a career. Now, I get to work at home in my own shop! (The problem with working at home is that I work harder now than ever before! And I'm a SAHM of a 2 year old, which leaves no free time)

Here's a link to some of my work, if you want to take a look :o)  http://s1186.photobucket.com/albums/z378/naturestudio/?start=all

WOW- now that is unique and cool. I love the bear...

#16 of 35 Old 01-31-2012, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My job is pretty cool.  I cook for a fraternity house of about 25 guys.  It's a lot of work to plan menus, order and buy food, stick to a budget and then get it all cooked up but I like it.  My weekend job is as a waitress.  I think my waitress job would pay more if I could work a reasonably "full-time" schedule but I can't do that so I like my frat job better because it's reliable, even if it is only during the school year.

My part-time dream job is a small farmer.  My hubby does the majority of managing and operating our farm (veggies and lamb currently) but I am there almost as much as he is during the months off from school. (waitress-ing of course part time.)

www.omachefarm.blogspot.com   Find us on Facebook too: "Omache Farm"

My entire life is now devoted to food. how delicious is that?

Farming mama to DD1 (10/18/07), DD2 (10/3/09) who are always DS born 8.21.14 and wife to loving hubby (6/23/2007).
#17 of 35 Old 01-31-2012, 04:20 PM

I am a vet tech! 16 years now.  Love it! Never 2 days the same.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#18 of 35 Old 01-31-2012, 04:31 PM

I have a really cool job.  I'm a Teen Librarian.  I completely manage the teen section (which is awesome, couches, video games, computers, magazines, and lots of books!), plan all the teen library programs, order all the audiobooks/books/DVDs for the teen section, manage our FB page and blog, and organize our teen tutoring program.  The hours can be funky (like I'm at work right now and will be until 8 tonight), but I can make my own hours and my boss is super family friendly.  In fact, my ds1 rides the bus here after school 3 days a week and stays until dh gets off work.

So, yeah, I LOVE my job.

purslaine likes this.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#19 of 35 Old 01-31-2012, 07:07 PM

I work as a Nanny and Household Manager for a family with 4 year old and 10 month old little girls.  I take my 3 year old daughter to work with me and have every day since I returned to work when she was 6 weeks old.  She essentially has the best of both worlds, "siblings" 50 hours a week and Mama all to herself the rest of the time.  What is really fantastic, besides never having to have used childcare and always having her with me - is that I make really good money, enough to support us myself, buy a house and live a very good life.  AND the people that I work for aren't even crazy like so many employers that pay well in these situations can be!  LOVE my job.  Somedays I forget that but I am trying to remember it as much as possible now!

HarperRose likes this.
#20 of 35 Old 01-31-2012, 07:09 PM

WOW- that does sound like a nice job.... I would like to do something like that.... I don't think there is anyone around here- that wealthy tho.

#21 of 35 Old 01-31-2012, 10:06 PM

I am a recreation coordinator - part time with benefits.  That's a plus.  I run fitness programs as well as programs for kiddos and adults with special needs.  Some days the youngest person I talk to outside of my family is in their 80's!

#22 of 35 Old 02-01-2012, 02:21 AM

After reading the first two sentences I immediately imagined you as the Doogie Howser of librarians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal_chick View Post

I have a really cool job.  I'm a Teen Librarian.  I completely manage the teen section (which is awesome, couches, video games, computers, magazines, and lots of books!), plan all the teen library programs, order all the audiobooks/books/DVDs for the teen section, manage our FB page and blog, and organize our teen tutoring program.  The hours can be funky (like I'm at work right now and will be until 8 tonight), but I can make my own hours and my boss is super family friendly.  In fact, my ds1 rides the bus here after school 3 days a week and stays until dh gets off work.

So, yeah, I LOVE my job.

knit.gifmama to  thumbsuck.gif (09/11)

#23 of 35 Old 02-01-2012, 02:25 AM

I have a terrible job and I hate it.  I work for a website.  People who don't read the terms of their subscriptions to said website, or (old, mostly) people who don't understand the billing call and complain and I have to try to keep as much of their money as possible.  It's morally bruising.

knit.gifmama to  thumbsuck.gif (09/11)

#24 of 35 Old 02-01-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34me View Post

I am a recreation coordinator - part time with benefits.  That's a plus.  I run fitness programs as well as programs for kiddos and adults with special needs.  Some days the youngest person I talk to outside of my family is in their 80's!

That's actually really cool!

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#25 of 35 Old 02-01-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himom View Post

I work for NASA designing the electronics for spacecrafts. It's the coolest job for a space geek like me. 

THAT is freaking AWESOME. My late mil used to work for NASA transcribing the astronauts reports when they came back from places like the Moon.

#26 of 35 Old 02-01-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBird View Post

You know, I have to be honest, my initial thought was "gross!" because of the deadness of stuff, but then it was, "Cool!"  You have good looking stuff!

#27 of 35 Old 02-05-2012, 03:31 PM

Well I don't do my job yet because I'm still in school, but I'm going to be a Public Health Inspector.  I'll inspect restaurants, daycares, nursing homes, and more for public health concerns.  Also respond to concerns from the public - including issues at private homes.  It's an awesome mix of law enforcement, science, and working with the public.  Plus I get to be out in the community most of the time.  I am SO excited about it!  And I think it's pretty cool ;)

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#28 of 35 Old 02-05-2012, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Hi Ever!

I have two cool jobs ... paramedic, and author of fiction for teens.  Love them both!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#29 of 35 Old 02-05-2012, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I tutor writing in college.  I love it! love.gif  Everyone is so interesting!  Years ago I spent a summer assisting large animal veterinarians.  Delivering calves was really an awesome experience! 

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
#30 of 35 Old 02-05-2012, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

So interesting to hear what everyone does IRL!  I admit some of you have pretty darn cool jobs.  Almost as cool as mine.... ;)

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page