Muchas Gracias! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 02-01-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Gracias!

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 02-01-2012, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

You did the right thing. 

#3 of 20 Old 02-01-2012, 12:30 PM

Yes, you did the right thing. If she was being serious when she replied that she hurt her dog, then she shouldn't be allowed to have a dog.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#4 of 20 Old 02-01-2012, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

You did the right thing.  You really, really did.  Have no doubt.

#5 of 20 Old 02-01-2012, 12:46 PM

Yes, I agree with all PPs.   You absolutely did the right thing!  Going through a rough patch doesn't justify animal abuse (not that I think you think it's justified, I just don't think you should feel guilty or feel the need to make excuses for her)!  hug.gif

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#6 of 20 Old 02-01-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

#7 of 20 Old 02-01-2012, 02:34 PM

It would depend on whether or not animal abuse is a criminal offence in your jurisdiction I would think...

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#8 of 20 Old 02-01-2012, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I say unless you have physical proof, you shouldn't have gotten involved.  It seriously could have been an accident.

#9 of 20 Old 02-01-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityMom View Post

A few days ago she posted a picture of her puppy with a cast on his front leg.  Several people commented "What Happened?" "Is he okay" etc.  She finally responded yesterday and said "I pushed him down the stairs and he broke his leg".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

I say unless you have physical proof, you shouldn't have gotten involved.  It seriously could have been an accident.

Really? How do you accidentially push your dog down the stairs?  It's like saying you need physical evidence before reporting potential domestic/child abuse.  That's how an abuser gets away with it, people are too scared to report in case they're "wrong" or it was an "accident".  The laws protecting animals are a joke as it is.

#10 of 20 Old 02-01-2012, 03:50 PM

Why would she admit that on FB?  Seems weird enough to make me wonder if she was joking. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#11 of 20 Old 02-01-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post

Why would she admit that on FB?  Seems weird enough to make me wonder if she was joking. 

Well, OP mentioned that she is "not all there" first of all.  Also, not everyone believes that animals have any value or rights beyond being a chattel or that something like pushing their dog down the stairs is even a big deal.

Maybe she was joking, maybe not.  If this was a kid and not a dog, would you take the chance?

#12 of 20 Old 02-01-2012, 03:59 PM

The OP seems sufficiently concerned that the person she reported may not be joking, that's enough for me.

Also, just because some people don't view animal abuse as a problem, that doesn't mean it isn't a problem.  This is one of those, "sure, you can have an opinion, but some opinions are wrong" situations.  Animal abuse is wrong, and usually illegal, whether the abuser agrees or not. 

The OP followed her instincts and her conscience and reported it.  The person she reported is aware that someone reported it.  If she is actually abusing the animal, she knows someone is paying attention.  If not...well, there are hardly any consequences for when someone DOES get caught abusing or neglecting an animal, there are certainly no consequences here.

#13 of 20 Old 02-01-2012, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Some people have an odd sense of humor. 

And my dog almost killed me going down stairs before, animals can get underfoot.  You never know it could really have been an accident.  Maybe somebody asked her in a joking way if she shoved her dog. 

#14 of 20 Old 02-01-2012, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If I were you, I would at least screen capture and/or print the comments on Facebook.  I would have reported such an incident, FWIW.

#15 of 20 Old 02-01-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

Some people have an odd sense of humor. 

And my dog almost killed me going down stairs before, animals can get underfoot.  You never know it could really have been an accident.  Maybe somebody asked her in a joking way if she shoved her dog. 

If you make jokes like that, people probably know you as someone who makes jokes like that.  If someone decided to call and you had gotten the dog vet care and it was well cared for, there would be no consequences besides someone taking up a little of your time.  It can't hurt to be sure.

#16 of 20 Old 02-01-2012, 04:06 PM

Oh, I agree she should have reported it if she really believed her friend was abusing the dog.

It just seems so odd that an animal abuser would post pics of a leg in a cast and say they pushed the dog down the stairs.  Bizarre, and sick even if it was an accident.  I mean, who says that?  Can you imagine saying that about a kid who was injured?

Also, we recently got a puppy, and she really is a ton of work; however, I don't see why anyone would keep a pet if they were going to abuse it.  Why not give it to a shelter or another family?  I read an article earlier about a local guy who was being charged with burning his dog's genitals as a means of torture.  Yet, he housed and fed numerous other pets. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#17 of 20 Old 02-01-2012, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

#18 of 20 Old 02-01-2012, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityMom View Post

I screen captured, but my printer is out of ink.  I'm going to call 311 (non emergency- the city website says to call there to report animal abuse, neglect, or mistreatment) and make a report there.

I was just going to suggest this - they'll transfer you to either animal control or your local precinct where a cop can advise you on if she's breaking the law, and if she is, you can file a report right over the phone.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#19 of 20 Old 02-02-2012, 09:36 AM

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

#20 of 20 Old 02-02-2012, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page