Am I a hypocrit for using Vitex to get pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

#1 of 32 Old 02-13-2012, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question but since I am purely looking for opinions I will put it here.

I will make this short and too the point:

I have a deep christian faith. We have recently left the catholic church and have not yet found another church that we go to regularly so I don't have a lot of people IRL to ask this. I have been using Vitex to try and conceive our 3rd child (first is deceased, second is 1). I am wondering if I am a hypocrit for believing in God and that He has a major part in crafting my life, but then taking something like Vitex that will help improve my chance of conceiving? I have been thinking about this a lot lately.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 32 Old 02-13-2012, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't think a belief in God (in whatever form that might take for you) and a belief in taking the initiative to create your own life are mutually exclusive things. "God helps those who help themselves."

I think free will and predestination co-exist. You can make a lot of things happen and make a lot of your own choices, but ultimately you are limited by the circumstances of whatever life you've been given. Those limitations, placed by God or nature or what-have-you, don't negate the degree of control that you DO have to shape your own life.

So another child may or may not be in the cards for you--if it doesn't ever happen you can see that as fate--a limitation placed by God. But no, you're not a hypocrite for doing things to try and make it happen! Making things happen is central to life as a human.
#3 of 32 Old 02-13-2012, 11:29 AM

I would say no. I had endocrine problems and took a couple of medicines that clearly helped my system run better and eventually lead to conception. I've never been one to see a conflict between God and ethically done science and medicine. 

#4 of 32 Old 02-13-2012, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

No, not in my opinion. Unless every person who takes medication of any kind is a hypocrite (which I don't believe). I don't believe there's anything different about fertility meds in particular that make them more of an interference with god's plan than, say, insulin or antibiotics. 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#5 of 32 Old 02-13-2012, 03:15 PM

I struggled with this too.  I figured an herbal option was fine.  I would try it and see how it goes!

J, mom to my baby girl born January 22, 2012!  babygirl.gif

#6 of 32 Old 02-13-2012, 04:18 PM

first I feel like I should state that #1 I'm not a christian and #2 I have never delt with fertility issues so I can't possible know how you are feeling but my gut reaction is yes, it's hypocritical. If you do believe in an all powerful god who has a plan for you then you should except that plan. It's always bothered me when you see a couple on the TV and they are expecting 8-9 babies due to fertility treatment and they say it's gods will...NO, gods will was for you to not be pregnant, this is science.

I know this is a crappy thing to say and I'm sure people are going to flame me. I'm not saying you shouldn't use Vitex, in fact I think you should do what ever you feel would help you have a child and I wish you the best of luck and a beautiful baby.

#7 of 32 Old 02-13-2012, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

I'm a believer in Jesus and I think that it is up to you.  

#8 of 32 Old 02-13-2012, 05:01 PM

I don't think you will get pregnant if it is not in the cards for you - Vitex or not.  

#9 of 32 Old 02-13-2012, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It reminds me of the joke about the guy who is sitting on his roof while the streets are flooding.  A guy comes by in a boat and he says "no thanks, God will save me" a few other people stop to help him and he refuses.  He yells out "God, why won't you help me!!!??" and God answers back "I sent you the guys in the boats, what else do you want??".

I that if the tools are there then you should use them. I'm not a believer though, so I'm not sure if what I think matters.  I can't imagine that God would make things available and then not expect people to use them.  

#10 of 32 Old 02-13-2012, 06:50 PM

I agree with mamalisa's thoughts on this.

I hope you find some answers soon, and sorry about the loss of you first child.

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#11 of 32 Old 02-13-2012, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

I appreciate all the answers so far! I feel like I wouldn't go so far as taking Rx fertility drugs or treatments, etc. so I'm not sure how to classify Vitex. I'm not sure whether it being natural makes any difference. I agree with AngieB with the people who have octuplets after having insemination and saying God wanted it that way. I'm use to most things being black and white to me and this seems kind of grey. On the one hand I would use insulin if I had diabetes but I wouldn't do fertility drugs or treatments and I'm not sure I would even consider cancer treatments, depending on the severity of the cancer....but then again I would probably try some other alternative treatments other than chemo, etc.

I get what you are saying, too, mamalisa. I do feel like I have been sent towards a lot of homeopathic info lately and I don't know if that is a sign or what. Maybe that was God sending me a boat to help myself. I have experienced that before too.

I think I have been thinking about this more lately and am feeling guilty since I think it is working. I've had a lot more EWCM and CM in general and huge temp spike and no midcycle bleeding.

I will find out in 8 days if I am pregnant so this could be a moot point anyway.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#12 of 32 Old 02-13-2012, 07:26 PM

If you believe in God so strongly, don't you also believe that he created plants and herbs for your use? Why would that be hypocritical?

Masel likes this.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#13 of 32 Old 02-13-2012, 08:26 PM

Uh well isn't is a natural supplement that is making you healthier?  So regardless of the pregnancy it is a good thing for your body right?  I believe that fertility is a sign of overall health- so that would be my justification.  God wants us to take care of our bodies and be as healthy as we can...  I would be good with it :)

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#14 of 32 Old 02-13-2012, 10:49 PM

I don't believe God wants us to suffer, and I don't feel a hypocrite for taking medicine.

And I was just looking up the joke about the man and the flood before I noticed mamalisa posted it. Who are we to say which tools God will provide for us? As long as taking Vitex doesn't go against your beliefs, I can't see the harm in it.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#15 of 32 Old 02-14-2012, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post

Uh well isn't is a natural supplement that is making you healthier?  So regardless of the pregnancy it is a good thing for your body right?  I believe that fertility is a sign of overall health- so that would be my justification.  God wants us to take care of our bodies and be as healthy as we can...  I would be good with it :)

yeahthat.gif Vitex is something that can be very helpful and healthful for our cycles, TTC or not. I took it when DH and I were trying and I'm considering taking it in the near future to help with some issues I have with my cycles.

Kali (pka Michelle) ~ crunchy wife to Cory (09/06) ~ Mama to H (03/90) & I (06/92)--bothnocirc.gifbf.jpg BF for 35 consecutive months ~ angel1.gif x 4

#16 of 32 Old 02-14-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperRose View Post

If you believe in God so strongly, don't you also believe that he created plants and herbs for your use? Why would that be hypocritical?

My thoughts, summed up much better :)  I don't think God has rules, I think people have rules that they claim come from God.  God wants you to live a good life, help others and be the best person you can be. 

You wear a seat belt, hold the hand rail when you walk down the stairs, use pot holders...why would using medication be any different?

elizaveta and HarperRose like this.
#17 of 32 Old 02-14-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalisa View Post

My thoughts, summed up much better :)  I don't think God has rules, I think people have rules that they claim come from God.  God wants you to live a good life, help others and be the best person you can be. 

You wear a seat belt, hold the hand rail when you walk down the stairs, use pot holders...why would using medication be any different?

Agreed! 

HarperRose likes this.

loveeyes.gif Mama to a lively DD (10/05) energy.gifand DS (06/23) babyboy.gif!

#18 of 32 Old 02-14-2012, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the answers. I am feeling more positive about taking it today.

#19 of 32 Old 02-14-2012, 12:50 PM

So God made vitamin C in oranges so people don’t get scurvy, but he didn’t make Vitex to help normalize a woman’s reproductive system, which in turn helps with normal fertility? I dont think people should feel guilty eating/drinking the natural substances of our Earth, for health and well being.

#20 of 32 Old 02-14-2012, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhianna813 View Post

So God made vitamin C in oranges so people don’t get scurvy, but he didn’t make Vitex to help normalize a woman’s reproductive system, which in turn helps with normal fertility? I dont think people should feel guilty eating/drinking the natural substances of our Earth, for health and well being.

Or the man-made ones either, IMO. I'm not religious, but couldn't one argue that god enabled humans to create medications in the lab, and that therefore they're part of god's plan for us to use for our health and well being? 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#21 of 32 Old 02-14-2012, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

As a Christian (Reformed Baptist, which is about as far away from Catholicism as you can get, so I don't know how much my views will jive with yours, but hey!)... I have no problem with using natural or artificial methods to solve fertility problems, in and of themselves. I have moral qualms about some specific treatments, for pro-life reasons; but the general principle of "I can't get pregnant, how can I fix my/my husband's body so it'll work better"? Absolutely no problem with it. Being able to conceive should be the default for a healthy woman of childbearing age; if something is preventing that, be it a short luteal phase, too much or little body fat, whatever, that's a medical problem that needs to be addressed.

I believe very strongly that God is sovereign over our lives; I also believe He works through secondary causes, ie. us. He could, if He chose, miraculously heal your infertility; but the pattern of miracles, both in the Bible and after, is that miracles tend to accompany revelation; they're not handed out indiscriminately. In places where God's Word is established, He tends to abide by the rules of nature... one of which is "Vitex can help with fertility issues". :p

I could go into more detail about my beliefs re God's plan, sovereignty and free will, but that usually causes a furore on these boards. :p PM me if you're interested in a Calvinist take on God's decretive will! But anyway - yes, I think fixing any system of the body which isn't working properly is part of being a good steward of that body. That includes the reproductive system, which, after all, God did design to work.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#22 of 32 Old 02-14-2012, 03:41 PM

Okay, first, I'm not Christian, but I was raised Christian...

I believe this really falls into two camps of thinking, and depending on YOUR spirituality, not anyone else's.  You chose to leave Catholocism for a reason.  I'm betting it's because it wasn't right for you.  If that's the case, then why would you feel that your whole sense of spirituality and your connection with the divine should be defined by someone else?  You have to find the answer that's right for you.  That being said, here are the two camps of thought.

Camp 1, Trust in God, because if you weren't meant to have something in happen in your life, God would not allow it.  Think about it, if you had an infection, would you take antibiotics or would you let the infection kill you if your body didn't destroy it?   If you take the antibiotics and God meant the infection to kill you, wouldn't the antibiotics not work?  Or something else would happen to end your live because it was your time to go?  If you had cancer, would you seek treatment?  If you did, God would surely determine whether or not you recovered.  I used to joke that the people who end up with high multiples as a result of fertility treatment, that's God looking down and saying, "Be careful what you wish for, you have fun with that."  After all, if God really didn't want them to get pregnant, the fertility treatments wouldn't have worked.  God doesn't have to let you get pregnant no matter how hard you try.  If that's the case, you're doing nothing wrong.  In truth, you might just be doing the right thing.  After all, this could be a test of how hard you're willing to work for it.  I can't count how many times I heard that God will test us throughout my life.

Camp 2, Trust in God in all things and he will provide what you need.  This seems to be the realm of the Christian Scientists.  If I remember correctly, they're the ones that don't believe in any kind of medical intervention at all.  It's the stance that you shouldn't take action because God will provide.  If you get sick, God will make you well, or you weren't meant to recover.  If you're having problems conceiving, God must not wish to grant you a child at this time.  If you break a bone, God will heal it.  If that's how you believe, then it's definitely wrong to take something to increase your chances of conceiving, no matter how natural it is.  If God wanted you to, then you would.

Personally, I find the second point kind of extremist, but again, it's not about what's right for me.  It's about what's right for you.  If you feel that God helps those who work for what they want, then go for it!  You're on the right track!

#23 of 32 Old 02-14-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

Or the man-made ones either, IMO. I'm not religious, but couldn't one argue that god enabled humans to create medications in the lab, and that therefore they're part of god's plan for us to use for our health and well being? 

I am Pagan LOL and couldn't agree more :-)

#24 of 32 Old 02-14-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:

Exactly! Who gave humans the knowledge to find what works to heal our bodies?

The desire for children is a God-given one as well, and by using what God created to fulfill that desire is not hypocritical.

#25 of 32 Old 02-14-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:

My thoughts, as well.

Kali (pka Michelle) ~ crunchy wife to Cory (09/06) ~ Mama to H (03/90) & I (06/92)--bothnocirc.gifbf.jpg BF for 35 consecutive months ~ angel1.gif x 4

#26 of 32 Old 02-14-2012, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Some more really good points!thanks.gif

We left the catholic church because we felt that we weren't being taught the truth, because they were not handling obvious child molestation, and because the catholic church doesn't want you to think for yourself. (No offense to anyone who is Catholic) We have just been reading the bible at home and are not part of any certain denomination so I am kind of feeling my way through some things I haven't thought about before. I am starting to wonder though, if I am feeling unsure about vitex because I feel that if I get pregnant with it and then the baby dies that it will be partly my fault for pushing my luck, and not so much to do with thinking that God disapproves of vitex. Maybe some unresolved grief on my part from losing our first baby.....

#27 of 32 Old 02-14-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyB View Post

I am starting to wonder though, if I am feeling unsure about vitex because I feel that if I get pregnant with it and then the baby dies that it will be partly my fault for pushing my luck, and not so much to do with thinking that God disapproves of vitex. Maybe some unresolved grief on my part from losing our first baby.....

You know, I bet unresolved grief would have something to do with it.  I had a miscarriage right about the time my current baby is due.  I've had a real hard time with the whole pregnancy because I just haven't dealt with the grief yet, not completely, so I can see how that would effect you.

Just remember, if you get pregnant while using Vitex and the baby dies, perhaps God meant for you to carry that child for it's brief flicker of life.  Perhaps it just needed to feel loved for just a little while before going on to whatever it's meant to do after that.

When I had my first miscarriage, a friend of mine told me that God has a plan for babies that are miscarried with moms that would have loved them.  They need to go to a loving, supportive mother before they were placed in the home they were meant to have.  God knew they would lead a trying life, so he wanted them to experience love before all else, that way they'd know what to seek out even though their family life would be quite challenging.

I'm not sure if I believe that or not, but it does make me feel good to think that maybe the purpose of that experience was to let that child have a brief flicker of love, that it wasn't pointless suffering, but instead it served some purpose.  I like the idea that whatever divine power is out there wouldn't let us suffer needlessly, that there's some purpose to something as painful and trying as a miscarriage can be.

#28 of 32 Old 02-15-2012, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyB View Post

I am starting to wonder though, if I am feeling unsure about vitex because I feel that if I get pregnant with it and then the baby dies that it will be partly my fault for pushing my luck, and not so much to do with thinking that God disapproves of vitex. Maybe some unresolved grief on my part from losing our first baby.....

I think it is possible to believe in god without believing that he has a direct hand in your daily life.  

I was born healthy to lovely parents in a lovely part of the world……does that mean god loves me more than a sickly child born to awful parents in an awful part of the world?  Of course not!  Life and death are part of life - a miscarriage does not mean god is punishing you and a healthy baby does not mean god is rewarding you……I don't think god is so mean as to choose favourites like that.  I believe god set the world (including evolution) in motion, but that really everything that happens to us is mostly random or a result of good or poor life choices.  God is a fair god - he does not punish or reward.  I find a lot of peace in this belief.  I am not trying to change your belief system, just offering a different POV smile.gif

Sorry for your earlier loss, and I bet the above poster is bang on about unresolved grief making this decision harder for you.

For fun - here is the 4 ways Americans view god.  

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/book-religion-examines-ways-americans-perceive-god/story?id=11825319#.TzuwM5i4rlI

#29 of 32 Old 02-15-2012, 11:56 AM

Since you mentioned the Catholicism, the Catholic church finds many fertility supplements and treatments perfectly acceptable.  They have fertility doctors and institutes to help couples conceive.  The official church stance does not condone some of the IVF methods but they do condone many practices and go very far in the institutes to help couples conceive.  Natural Family Planning (not just the incomplete and often not reliable rhythm method) is encouraged to help couples who are having trouble have a higher chance of success.  Many other Christian religions are open to all that and more, even IVF, and whatever else can help aid in conception.  

If only it was as easy as just taking a supplement.  There are people who have taken Vitex for years and still cannot conceive.  There are people who take actual fertility drugs and have had surgeries and still cannot have a child.  There are people who take the pill correctly and use condoms correctly and still have babies despite doing what they can to prevent.  People can do IVF multiple times and still not have a child.  Not everything is so easy, there is still so much about conception that isn't in our human control.  Just taking something, especially a supplement, is not a guarantee of anything.  

Please don't stress about Vitex.  Would you stress about taking folic acid or prenatals?  These easy to obtain popular supplements are common place to help increase the odds of having a healthy baby but are not a big deal.  So much is out of our control it doesn't hurt to take easy steps like eating a good diet, doing some exercise, trying to reduce stress, taking great care of yourself, etc. to help.  Not only does that maybe help any future babies, it helps you too.  Christians view the body as a temple and taking great care of your body is considered a good thing as it honors God.  

I am sorry for your loss.  Have you spoken with a doctor about the loss?  Sometimes there are things that can be done to help increase the odds of carry to full term.  I am not a doctor so do not know what these things are, I only know they exist.  I think the treatments vary based on when your loss was, your age, and other medical facts.  

purslaine likes this.

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#30 of 32 Old 02-15-2012, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I should've clarified. I had a full term stillborn in March 2010. They did a bunch of test but never found a reason for it. Thanks for all the kind words. I will have to do some self-reflecting about the baby we lost but I think I am feeling ok about taking vitex after all.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page