What are your sleep patterns? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-28-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DH and I are "debating" what is "normal" sleep pattern, and what is not... and how to go about changing a lifetime of habits. 

Do you find it easy to go back to sleep after being awoken? 

Or do you lie awake for hours afterwards? 

Did that change after you had kids? 

Has it changed at any other point in your life? 

What did you do to change it? 

So I guess the corollary to the above would be - are you a heavy sleeper or a light sleeper, and is that in some way related to the ability to go back to sleep? 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 12:16 PM

I find it easy to go back to sleep after being awoken,   it is probably even easier now that I've had children and been on "duty" all night.  

I think the key is not becoming ANGRY about being awoken.   Those who wake up and get mad activate all those fight or flight instincts.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:25 PM

I am not a super light sleeper (maybe "medium-light"? lol), but I am a lighter sleeper than dh.

That said...

I think it all comes down to my general stress and anxiety levels.  If there is something going on in my life that's at all stressful then I tend to get that "racing mind" thing if I get woken at night.  So in those periods of my life I'll find myself exhausted but unable to sleep at, like, 3 in the morning.

When my kids were younger and sleep was such a precious commodity I'd get stressed out by being woken *by dh*.  If the baby woke to nurse I could fall back to sleep easily, but if anything else (I'm thinkin' dh here) woke me up I'd be stressed that I was not sleeping during those precious moments that the baby was asleep.  I'd worry that before I was able to fall back asleep the baby would wake.  And then all that worry would keep me from falling asleep. 

I mentioned above that dh is a heavier sleeper than me.  He also has an easier time getting back to sleep if woken.  I'm not sure if there is a connection though.  I am also a much more anxious person than dh and I think that has more to do with it.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

Old 02-28-2012, 12:27 PM

Do you find it easy to go back to sleep after being awoken? It really depends on a lot of factors.

Or do you lie awake for hours afterwards? Again - it really depends.

Did that change after you had kids? Yes. I never used to be able to get back to sleep once I woke up, but after I had children, and especially when I have very young children, I frequently can.

Has it changed at any other point in your life? Not that I can recall.

What did you do to change it? Nothing.

Generally...I've had issues with insomnia my entire adult life, almost from the time I hit puberty. The severity comes and goes, mostly with my stress level (for roughly the last year with my ex, I was averaging about 20 hours/week of sleep), but it's a consistent issue for me. I take longer than either of my husbands (can't speak for anyone else) to fall asleep when I go to bed at night, averaging somewhere around half an hour after my head hits the pillow. I sleep very deeply once I'm out, and it's hard to wake me up - several times in my life, I've slept through something that woke up everyone else in my house/group (eg. camping)...although this flips when I have young children. However, once I wake up, I'm up. When pregnant, I can get up to pee, and still go back to sleep. When recovering from a c-section, I can fall back asleep if I wake up, depending on my pain levels. But, in general, if I'm woken up, I'm not going back to sleep. If I only wake up partway - just semi-conscious, but not actually up and doing anything, I can usually go back to sleep. But, if I have to get up and actually do anything - use the bathroom, answer the phone, etc. - I'm probably up for the night.

I will say that none of this applies right now. I have one night every cycle (the night right before my period) when I dont' sleep at all. Other than that, I can fall back asleep fairly easily right now. That's probably mostly because dd2 has me really far behind on sleep, and I'm chronically exhausted.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 02-28-2012, 12:42 PM

I've always been able to get to sleep really easily, usually within about 5 minutes of getting into bed. Before I had a baby, I never remembered waking up in the middle of the night. I'm super thankful that I am this way now, because DS (6 mo) wakes up 3-6 times a night to nurse. I just switch him to my other side, get him latched and go back to sleep. Last week I think we had a growth spurt, and I was not so lucky to have him go back to sleep so easily. We had to get up, sing, rock, etc for about 45 minutes a few times in the night. On those times, it took me forever to get back to sleep because I kept thinking he'd wake up again at any second.

I don't know if I'm a heavy or light sleeper. I'm easy to wake up, but I can sleep through lots of noise too. I guess my body is just good at filtering out unimportant noise.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

Old 02-28-2012, 06:41 PM

Do you find it easy to go back to sleep after being awoken?  Easy

Or do you lie awake for hours afterwards?  No

Has it changed at any other point in your life?  No

are you a heavy sleeper or a light sleeper, and is that in some way related to the ability to go back to sleep?   Heavy sleeper?  Not sure if the two are related.  

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

Old 02-29-2012, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

Do you find it easy to go back to sleep after being awoken? I can literally fall asleep standing and in public.  I can do it anywhere.  I'm a light sleeper and the sleep I do get is extremely minimal since I work at night and have responsibilities (DS) that are awake and interractive and hungry during the day, so I guess I've just learned to adapt.  I can fall asleep in line at the DMV but still wake up when my number is called. 

Or do you lie awake for hours afterwards?   This used to happen in high school when everything was a big deal to me and I'd lay awake stressing about what someone thought about my hair or what excuse I'd tell my parents for ditching school.  I used to have problems sleeping but for whatever reason (I guess lifestyle changes, therapy, etc.)  I haven't had too many problems with this the last couple years. 

Did that change after you had kids?  i think it went like this...
 childhood-22ish: terrible sleep, 22-25ish: awesome sleep, 25 (DS was born this year)- present (26. heh)  I could probably sleep while riding a horse.

Has it changed at any other point in your life? see above

What did you do to change it?  I moved out of state and quit being so punk rock (lol).  I got a regular job and a schedule going.  I became more responsible. 

knit.gifmama to  thumbsuck.gif (09/11)

Old 02-29-2012, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I was reading this the other day and found ti quite interesting http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783

I can usually fall asleep easily when I go to bed, providing I;ve had chance to wind down before going to be. If I don't get a chance to wind down enough I tend to lay awake worriying and thinking things through.

It's a rare night when I don;t wake up at some point but I can usually get back to sleep pretty easily. I'm definatly more aware of waking up since having children, even now they are older (7 & 5) I still notice if I hear them get up to the loo or excess coughing and so on.

I do like my sleep though, I'm not a happy person if I don't get enough.

User Tag List