How would you handle this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-09-2012, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, I recently moved into an apartment that possibly has not been renovated since the early 70s.  At first the old brown appliances were really charming to me (almost as charming as the low rent) but I now realize I am totally in over my head.  First indication that this was going to be a mess was the trouble I had with the manager during move in.  I had made an appointment to view a unit and was fairly satisfied with what I saw-- a bottom floor unit that was being cleaned and fixed.  The manager (or so I thought) was an older man who told me the unit would be available by March 1st.  When I went to drop off my security deposit, the REAL manager, the man's wife who does not speak english, notified me that the unit would be ready April 1st... what.  They had rented that unit to someone else (through miscommunication with eachother) and I had to wait for another unit.  They had one that was being worked on.  When I asked for my deposit back the woman said she'd make some changes to their schedules and have everything done by the 1st.  Okay, the 1st it is.  The 29th of February rolls around and I call the landlord(...'s daughter in-law, who does our translating)and I call to see what time I can pick up the keys and sign the lease.  This is the night before I'm scheduled to move- people have taken off work to help me, I'm sleeping on my dad's couch... and they said it's not ready.  So I move in on the 2nd and they say a couple things still need to be done, mostly the blinds need to be replaced. 

Then I come to find out my first night that the heater doesnt work.  The last few nights have been FREEZING in there (shoddy 70's insulation?)  and I notified the manager that the heater is not working.  Her response? "Es no work." I was then told to get myself a space heater and that was that. 
 Then I go to take a shower and realized that, though the hot water is scalding during the day, it wont get over room temp at night. 
And the stove smells like gas. 

And There was a roach on the wall. 

Anyway, I told the landlord that they had to provide heat and she got very ghetto and confrontational with me.  she told me something like, "you know your lease is still new, you can take your security deposit and go."

I'm contemplating contacting the management company except that when I got a receipt for my security deposit, the manager told me that, no matter what i do, DO NOT contact the managment company.    The nice person in me wants to give them opportunities to fix this, but the angry, freezing side of me wants to ring them and threaten to sue. 

what would you do?

what HAVE you done in this situation?

This is the first apartment I've ever rented, I'm totally clueless as to how to go about all this stuff.

knit.gifmama to  thumbsuck.gif (09/11)

#2 of 11 Old 03-09-2012, 07:42 AM

If you can get your security deposit back, get it and run!!! You're going to have so many problems with this place.
Apple Girl and One_Girl like this.
#3 of 11 Old 03-09-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branditopolis View Post

Anyway, I told the landlord that they had to provide heat and she got very ghetto and confrontational with me.  she told me something like, "you know your lease is still new, you can take your security deposit and go."

I'd do exactly that, get your security deposit back and find somewhere else to live.

There's a reason the rent there was cheap...

greensad.gif

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#4 of 11 Old 03-09-2012, 08:01 AM

I agree with the pps - take the money and run.  But after you're gone, be sure to contact the mgmt company and let them know what's going on.  Just get gone first. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#5 of 11 Old 03-09-2012, 08:05 AM

Yup, I agree with PPs.  Get out of Dodge quick!

You might have better luck with finding cheap rent in a basement suite, if people have those in their homes where you live.  Seems to be the most frugal option in my city.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#6 of 11 Old 03-09-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

I'd do exactly that, get your security deposit back and find somewhere else to live.
There's a reason the rent there was cheap...
greensad.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

I agree with the pps - take the money and run.  But after you're gone, be sure to contact the mgmt company and let them know what's going on.  Just get gone first. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstewart View Post

Yup, I agree with PPs.  Get out of Dodge quick!

truedat.gif

AND make sure you have something in writing that they are releasing you from your lease, don't just walk out of there with cash.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#7 of 11 Old 03-09-2012, 08:42 AM

I'd take the money, get a written confirmation of the cancellation of the lease, move and then call the management company. These people are not honest or reliable. Why should  you protect them?

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#8 of 11 Old 03-09-2012, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by branditopolis View Post

I'm contemplating contacting the management company except that when I got a receipt for my security deposit, the manager told me that, no matter what i do, DO NOT contact the managment company.    

This is a red flag.  Of course, you would want to give the landlord a chance of dealing with it without being tattled on prematurely.  But unless what she actually said was "Don't contact them, I have it scheduled for repair next Thursday" then this is a point of concern.  Be brave and call them.  Then take the money and get the hell out of Dodge.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#9 of 11 Old 03-09-2012, 11:12 AM

Definitely get out!  Another thing to think about... since they seem less than trustworthy, you don't know who might have access to keys to your place!! 

SAHM to DD1 shy.gif, DD2 baby.gif, and one m/c angel.gif

#10 of 11 Old 03-09-2012, 11:23 AM

If you need/want to report them... here are a few sites to check out:

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/states/california/renting/tenantrights
http://www.dfeh.ca.gov/

After you get out of there, I would consider reporting them, in hopes someone else can avoid the troubles you've faced...
One_Girl likes this.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#11 of 11 Old 03-10-2012, 10:59 AM

Agree with the pp. get it all in writing and get out!

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page