just a senseless rant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-25-2012, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

*before anyone points out the obvious, yes i did choose this house as is ;) it had too many other good/vital qualities and is amazing in so many other ways, that this preference had to slide!*

Okay, so, it seems every person I know or talk to loves hard wood floors. Either wishes they had it, or already ripped out their carpet and put it in. And I'm sitting here on hardwood HATING it. Its cold. Its loud. It carries sound waaay too well and wakes babies! It bonks my poor baby when he learns to sit up. It doesn't have enough friction so kids dumping out toys and such makes them scatter everywhere. As I type, my toddler just broke a necklace and the beads went everywhere. Lovely. I have a crawling infant who will surely eat those because I'll never find them all. At least carpet would disguise little things like that, keep them nicely hidden until the vacuum comes along and sucks them right up! If I go like an hour without sweeping, the floor is digusting. It is NEVER clean enough. With kids, there's always something getting tracked through the floor. And the baby eats it. There is no amount of sweeping that is ever enough. The grain of the wood disguises dirt very well so from 5 feet off the ground my eyes don't see it, but baby eyes a few inches off the floor see a SNACK. Having all that crap ground all the way into the carpet sounds wonderful! Gross sounding at first, sure, but with a good quality vacuum? Perfect. Then, I just vacuum every day at a time that is convenient to me. Wood? I'll be trying to eat breakfast in peace and I see a baby eating crap and I have to jump up and get the broom *right then*. 

And the couch!!! It slides around really easily on the wood. We have a sectional, so its extra annoying. And the gravitational pull from under it! EVERYTHING goes under there. random trash, paper, toys, books, clothes. The aforementioned toy scatter? Thats where it lands. I hate having to rearrange the furniture just for "day to day" cleaning. I'll move furniture to vacuum under for deep cleaning, but for every day maintenance? Kill me now. I partially solved the problem by unscrewing the feet from the couch. Now I'll never sweep under it again, but it makes it more slidey. I can't win. the kids will sit on one piece of sectional and kick off with their feet to purposely slide it around, which fills me with unspeakable rage. Combine that with tossing the cushions around and the other messes they make, and it looks so *trashy*. 

And what about getting down on the floor to play with my kids? Not on hardwood. No way. OW! Kids bodies might be able to handle that but mine sure can't. When I go to other peoples' carpeted homes and my feet touch that soft, warm carpet its like a sigh of relief and a weight off my shoulders. It feels so good. Carpet looks inviting and cozy. Carpet says "come on in, have a seat, make yourself at home" Wood looks harsh and unfriendly. 

I'll give wood some benefit though. If carpet is contributing to someone's allergies, then yeah.. its gotta go. Its nice for potty learning/ec. Just follow that kid around with a towel and mop up the accidents! but I kinda think it ends there. Ha. Oh, and it is perfectly acceptable in kitchens/hallways/entryways. Just keep it out of my bedrooms, living, and family rooms. 

Okay. I got that off my chest. I'm gonna go clean my house now. But please, please tell me there's at least someone out there who shares my hardwood wrath? I know I'm in the minority.. but there's gotta be someone?!

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#2 of 13 Old 05-25-2012, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hehe, I know how you feel! We have wood floors all downstairs, stairs, and upstairs hallway and it can be a pain. I am always amazed how much dirt I get when I sweep the house! What I've done to make it easier is: giant rug in living room (front legs of couches are on rug), indoor/outdoor rug under dining room table, and big rug in playroom. Search Craigslist for a while, score one for cheap, clean it well, and there you go! 

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#3 of 13 Old 05-25-2012, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Rant away -- that kind of stuff can be tough to adjust to. I have to say, though -- I don't know anyone with hardwood floors who doesn't use area rugs for things like anchoring couches and creating a space for the kids to play on the floor. 

CatsCradle likes this.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#4 of 13 Old 05-25-2012, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

We have really bad dust mites allergies, so we installed laminate (plastic, not wood!) in every room in the house.

The floor is cold, and if the house is really clean the whole house echoes.  How I long for my ugly blue wall-to-wall carpet!

But it did solve the dust mite problem almost entirely.  The next couch is leather-- slidey, cold, echoey.  That will knock the suckers out entirely.

Yes, we vacuum most every day.  I don't miss the grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!! of the power head though.  We were still vacuuming a lot with baby and toddler, but it was noisier.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#5 of 13 Old 05-25-2012, 02:03 PM

See that is just what my DH tells me every time I get ready to take a utility knife to my carpet.  I vacuum after every single meal since our dining area is on the freaking carpet.  We have church pews for benches and a huge table and I have to move or crawl under it to get the crap up.  Yeah I have a dyson- so it gets ungross- but I crazy the wood that is under our nasty ugly stretched out carpet.  It almost went when my kids spilt a whole gallon of milk on it...  But yeah- you need a rug for your kids to play on... and probably heat under it.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#6 of 13 Old 05-25-2012, 02:17 PM

I second the area rugs! You might also look into getting a roomba.
#7 of 13 Old 05-25-2012, 03:36 PM

I absolutely hate carpet. To me carpet feels so much dirtier but I do understand and agree with several of your other points about the wood floors.

I might like to get a few rugs but we have a dog who pees on things left on the floor. If nothing is left on the floor then it doesn't happen or is pretty easy to clean up.

Why don't you get carpet installed in some of your rooms or big rugs if you hate the wood floors?

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#8 of 13 Old 05-25-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyzombiecat View Post

I absolutely hate carpet. To me carpet feels so much dirtier but I do understand and agree with several of your other points about the wood floors.

I might like to get a few rugs but we have a dog who pees on things left on the floor. If nothing is left on the floor then it doesn't happen or is pretty easy to clean up.

Why don't you get carpet installed in some of your rooms or big rugs if you hate the wood floors?

I've had hardwood floors for years.  I think that getting area carpets was the best thing we ever did (mind you, they're required anyway since we live in an apartment building).  One way to get the couch, etc. from sliding around is to set the front legs of the furniture on the rug.  They (meaning all kinds of housing goods stores) sell no-slide pads to put under your furniture legs and that's another option.  We even have them on the wooden chairs (little velcro pads so that the wooden bottoms don't scratch the floor and moving them around is noiseless).  I live in an apartment culture where large rugs are the norm because so many people have hardwood floors and rugs, if anything, are a good sound barrier.  

I have grown to love wood floors because they are easy to clean and cool in the summer.  It is also easier for us because we have pets.  We got our carpets at IKEA years ago and they are still good (not fancy, but practical).  We don't have a coldness problem because we live on the fifth floor and heat tends to rise.  I imagine if your floors are above a cellar that the temperature might be a problem.  Large rugs are a clear solution in my opinion.  My parents are big wall-to-wall carpet people and that's how I grew up, but I've learned to adapt to wood floors and find them so much  easier to maintain.  There are lots of tricks to create the benefits of wall-to-wall without actually having it.  

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#9 of 13 Old 05-25-2012, 06:51 PM

I have horrible dust mite allergies, and refuse to live anywhere with carpet! Makes me mad too because apartments with hardwood floors are more expensive! Oh well. I do need to get a few area rugs, but I can't afford them right now and thankfully my neighbors aren't home much.
#10 of 13 Old 05-25-2012, 07:43 PM

I can kinda hear you on this, OP.  I mean - I'm glad about our wood floors, since we have allergies & asthma in our home.  But I go through the house sweeping/vacuuming dust off the floor, think I got it all and *BAM* see some HUGE and totally gross pile of it just hours later that I missed, somehow.  Or that just appeared out of nowhere.  It never seemed to happen so badly with the carpet.  

#11 of 13 Old 05-26-2012, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

I try this when I see the dirt on the floor I just vacuumed: that crap would have been there anyway, just harder to see.

I can't think of a mantra for how hard it is--achy joints, head-bonking babies, etc.  I just have to find a squashy pillow or little footstool to perch my keester on and wait for them to grow up.....

About the noise.... the girls love it, I mean THE GIRLS LOVE IT!   LOVE IT!  LOVE IT!  LOVE IT!  IT,.. IT... IT.....

CatsCradle likes this.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#12 of 13 Old 05-26-2012, 08:33 PM

I know what you mean. Our entire house is flooring, bedrooms included, only two rooms that aren't hard wood are the kitchen and bathroom (and they are white linoleum, yuck). We have two kids, two indoor cats, a big fluffy dog and live in a damp foggy area by the beach. I sometimes think about how comfy carpeting would be, but then I remind myself about all the damp, sticky dirt, food crumbs and water spills and I know it would not be as practical. By the time we had #2, I learned a few things.

1. I bought a sweep and steam mop, works great and I don't kill my back mopping (especially in the crawling stage which I am so happy to be out of). I mop kitchen, bathroom, dining, main walk areas once a week, the rest once a month (often less because I lose track of time)

2. Use rugs. I have a small rug, not just a mat, in front the the front door, big enough where kids can completely strip down of wet, dirty and sandy clothes before stepping onto the floor, and a shoe basket next to it (we are not a shoe free house, but no dirty shoes allowed so we are mostly barefoot or use inside slippers). There is also a rug in the living room and each kid has a play rug in their room. They help with warmth a bit, but mostly help to catch the dirt and can be vacuumed, shook out, and the kids' rugs can be put in the washing machine.

3. We bought the large colored rubber foam floor pieces that puzzle together and put them under the rug in the living room and the play rug in dd's room, more padding to sit and play on and less bumping. 

4. Thick sticky pads under furniture legs helps keep furniture from sliding around and scratching the floor. Also, agree with putting the edge of the couch on a rug to help keep it in place.

5. Teach your kids to clean out from under the couch. My ds started doing this when he was 4, he knows to take his small broom and drag it under to slide out all the various toys and papers that have accumulated underneath, he's now 6 and it's one of his jobs. Also, take a swiffer stick and only connect the bottom and top piece, it is the perfect height for a child to use, both of my kids like to help swiffer with a dry cloth. 

6. I sweep one day and vacuum the next. Only once a day (unless we have some kind of messy project). The kids know to pick up large food scraps from under their chairs, and the dog helps out. As long as I do something once a day, it's definitely not perfect, but I can keep it under control (and we are a busy, outside, active house)

#13 of 13 Old 05-27-2012, 11:06 AM

I know how you feel! I had hardwood the last 3 years and hated it! Now I have carpet again. It gets kind of gross sometimes, but we're going to have it cleaned soon, and other than that, it's so much easier!

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page