Need fashion help!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-29-2012, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So we should be going to court to finalize our adoption late June/early July and I'm thinking about what we should all wear. I would like to have family photos done on the courthouse steps afterward, so I would like us all to coordinate. So... can you help me figure out styles/colors that would be appropriate for court and family photos?

So far, I was thinking about using this tie that I bought for our baby boy, M (6 months old), just because I think it's cute: http://thebelleandthebeau.com/shop-the-beau/boys/dots/polka-dots/red-and-white-dot

He also has some red converse that I think would be adorable. What color shirt should I match it with? What color scheme would be good for all of us? I don't want to look all Fourth of July, either...

But what about aqua and red? What do you think? What colors with it? Gray?

Would that little tie look ok with a shirt like this:
http://www.janieandjack.com/shop/dept_item.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443469524&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374303383627&bmUID=1338308422950&productSizeSelected=0

Jeans or something else?

My 3 little girls and I will all wear skirts or dresses. Any inexpensive, cute suggestions?

What should hubby wear?

HELP! I'm fashion dumb!!!

Mama K: Child of God, wife to S, mama to 3 little beauties and 1 handsome little guy!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 05-29-2012, 01:24 PM

I love the tie and red converse shoes!  I think any button down would be super cute with it and jeans.  Now if it were me I would have the girls in red and white sundresses, personally I would wear something plainer- maybe a light denim wrap dress and a red hair band, and DH I would have wear jeans and a white button down.  But maybe too casual for court for the DH?  But would look great for the pictures without being obnoxiously matchy.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#3 of 8 Old 05-29-2012, 04:16 PM

The polka dot tie is adorable - I'd love it with jeans, or khaki, or olive green pants and the converse shoes.  I do like the turquoise shirt, but a white one would look great too (The tie is pretty bold, so going with plainer/neutral stuff is nice).

Aqua-ish dresses for the 3 girls, more neutral clothing for yourself and dh (say khaki or jean skirt with white or aqua button down blouse).  Button down shirt or polo shirt and neutral pants is fine for the dh.    

Purple is another really nice color with red - so purple dresses for the girls, or pretty purple tops and jean skirts (I'm recommending jeans/jean skirts a lot here cause I like them, but I also find they often look nicer in photos because they're less likely to be wrinkly and are versatile with lots of other clothing).  

If someone doesn't like/have purple or aqua, go red to match the tie.  A bit of a mix so it isn't too matchy is nice in family photos.

#4 of 8 Old 05-29-2012, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post

I love the tie and red converse shoes!  I think any button down would be super cute with it and jeans.  Now if it were me I would have the girls in red and white sundresses, personally I would wear something plainer- maybe a light denim wrap dress and a red hair band, and DH I would have wear jeans and a white button down.  But maybe too casual for court for the DH?  But would look great for the pictures without being obnoxiously matchy.

I like this suggestion. As for the jeans being too casual for court, if they're a really dark wash I think it would be okay. And make sure he has nice shoes with it to dress it up - wingtips or nice dress shoes. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#5 of 8 Old 05-30-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post

I like this suggestion. As for the jeans being too casual for court, if they're a really dark wash I think it would be okay. And make sure he has nice shoes with it to dress it up - wingtips or nice dress shoes. 

Me too. Also, if you're going to be in a family court, its generally less formal than other courthouses. I would go with dark wash jeans for DH, or some nice khaki pants and he'll be dressed fine, especially if he wears a button down shirt.

Wanted to add that I love the idea of family photos afterwards! Or before if its going to be a hot day. Congratulations on finalizing your adoption!

#6 of 8 Old 05-30-2012, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone!  I truly appreciate your input!

Mama K: Child of God, wife to S, mama to 3 little beauties and 1 handsome little guy!

#7 of 8 Old 05-30-2012, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Congratulations on finalizing the adoption! I like the idea of touches of red to add some happy colour on such a happy occasion. I agree that if you use red accessories, you should use a lot of neutrals for most of the outfits, so the photos aren't overwhelming. 

#8 of 8 Old 05-30-2012, 12:38 PM

If you wanted to keep it pretty simple, you could do a white shirt on everyone (easy peasy), dark jeans or khakis for the bottoms (for example, dark jeans on your young man and Mama, khaki skirts on the girls and khaki pants on Papa) and red accessories on everyone.  A red tie for Papa and the young man, and red hairbands for the ladies?  This way everyone looks classy enough for a photo and for court, but is comfortable enough for sitting in court, and the photo will look effortlessly perfect, not staged.  Plus, they're all easy to find items in colors that can easily be re-used.

Super-big congratulations! 

joy.gif

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page