What kind of birthday cake do you have for your kids? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What kind of birthday cake do you have for your kids?
Home made - basic sheet cake style with little/no decoration 10 23.26%
Home made - elaborately decorated 22 51.16%
Store bought - off the shelf at your supermarket 3 6.98%
Specialty bakery - elaborately decorated 3 6.98%
No cake - different birthday treats like pie, rice crispie creations, etc. 4 9.30%
No cake at all 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-06-2012, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Until he was old enough to offer an opinion, DS's cakes came from a fantastic bakery close to my mom's.  He requested a batman cake for his 4th birthday so I bought a plain cake from the grocery store and decorated it with batman toys, he loved it.  I continued with this method for the next two birthdays. 

I am very impressed with some the creations I have seen other moms make.  I don't like baking so I have no guilt over store bought cakes.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2012, 10:32 AM

Adaline & Cocunut -- those cakes / cupcakes are beautiful! and yummy looking too eat.gif

We do homemade cupcakes for DS's parties. He's only 2 and it just seemed easier to us. I grew up with my mom always making my favorite birthday cake - so I kind of want to carry on the tradition. But that being said, if DS wants an ice cream cake or something else -- we'll do that. 

Mama to DS REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(March 2010) and DD  baby.gif  (June 2012)

Old 06-06-2012, 07:41 PM

Wow! Amazing cakes! I'm so not a baker so reading about all these cakes is impressive!

DD's first birthday "cake" wasn't even a cake (mostly due to my previously mentioned lack of baking skill)

She loved watermelon at the time (August) and so I bought one, cut it into the shape of a layer cake and "frosted" is with Greek Yogurt and then decorated it with blueberries and strawberries.

It was a big hit!

DSC01198.JPG

Old 06-08-2012, 08:52 PM

For DS's first birthday he was grain free (until about 18 months IIRC) so I made mini cheese cakes with a pecan and almond "crust". For his second birthday we had store bought cupcakes. This year a friend of mine made us some super yummy and healthy banana chocolate chip cupcakes and zucchini cupcakes. I made cream cheese frosting and sliced strawberries for people to ice their own.

I had an elaborate plan to buy canoe pans and make homemade "twinkies" and decorate them like this: http://theposhpixie-kendall.blogspot.com/2011/04/peeps-twinkie-car-treats.html but I was working full time and it just didn't happen. maybe next year! (when I have a 4 year old and a 4 month old.. hmm)

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

Old 06-09-2012, 11:35 AM

I just spent most of a day making two cakes (my twin niece and nephew have a birthday party today). I tried a new-to-me technique - tracing a design on wax paper iwth icing, and then freezing it and flipping it onto the cake. Unfortunately, I didn't let the icing on the cake set enough, so the design got glued to it, and I couldn't pull the wax paper off. I ended up drawing about 85% of the design (a Pokemon called Torterra) freehand...and got to bed about 1:30 this morning. I still have to put the strings on my niece's guitar cake. *sigh*

Next year, I'll go with cake mix if I do their cakes. This was a total comedy of errors. (First cake was so flat that I had to convert a 9" X 13" sheet cake into a 9" X 13" layer cake. The tube of icing I was using to trace the Pokemon burst in my hand, and I had to transfer the icing to a Ziploc, then the tip popped right out, and I had to transfer that to another Ziploc. I poked a hole in my icing this morning, while adding details. I messed up the icing pattern on the guitar cake and had to change my design a bit. Throw in some regular baking mishaps - dropping egg shells in the batter, forgetting to take the butter out to soften, not adding the milk to the cocoa mixture at the right time, so It ended up hardening, instead of being a liquid, etc. - and you get a looonnng day.)

I really hope they like their cakes!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 06-09-2012, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

I just spent most of a day making two cakes (my twin niece and nephew have a birthday party today). I tried a new-to-me technique - tracing a design on wax paper iwth icing, and then freezing it and flipping it onto the cake. Unfortunately, I didn't let the icing on the cake set enough, so the design got glued to it, and I couldn't pull the wax paper off. I ended up drawing about 85% of the design (a Pokemon called Torterra) freehand...and got to bed about 1:30 this morning. I still have to put the strings on my niece's guitar cake. *sigh*

Next year, I'll go with cake mix if I do their cakes. This was a total comedy of errors. (First cake was so flat that I had to convert a 9" X 13" sheet cake into a 9" X 13" layer cake. The tube of icing I was using to trace the Pokemon burst in my hand, and I had to transfer the icing to a Ziploc, then the tip popped right out, and I had to transfer that to another Ziploc. I poked a hole in my icing this morning, while adding details. I messed up the icing pattern on the guitar cake and had to change my design a bit. Throw in some regular baking mishaps - dropping egg shells in the batter, forgetting to take the butter out to soften, not adding the milk to the cocoa mixture at the right time, so It ended up hardening, instead of being a liquid, etc. - and you get a looonnng day.)

I really hope they like their cakes!

I hope they like them! Some days baking is like that for me, too. Doing a pokemon figure sounds very ambitious. And I've solidified my liquid with cold milk before. One trick you can do is bake cakes in advance and freeze them. Then you can bake when you are focused and have plenty of time. Then, you can defrost it and decorate it the day before. That's what I did for my wedding cake.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
Old 06-09-2012, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

I love reading about everyone's cakes. :-) 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Old 06-09-2012, 03:16 PM

Old 06-11-2012, 04:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Cake is good. Unless it's bad cake. ; )  Truer words were never spoken!

I'm not very handy or crafty, but I can cook, so Imake our birthday desserts from scratch.  Dh loves lemon meringue pie, so that's what he gets for his birthday. 

Dd got cheese cake for her first birthday.  First time I ever made a cheese cake.

For the longest time ds didn't like cake, so he got blackberry or apple pie. 

For dd's 17th I made a round layer cake, chocolate with raspberry filling and chocolate ganach frosting.  It was ridiculously good. 

For MY birthday dd made the cake, and I just LOVED it. Duncan Heinz lemon cake mix with pink cream cheese frosting.  She called it a pink lemonade cake.  I seriously wanted more. 

I made an English-type trifle on Saturday, the whole family loved it. Dd was happy to discover trifle is a traditional birthday dessert in some regions, so maybe that'll be her next birthday cake. 

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:07 PM

DS turns 9 next year and is really into dinosaurs, fossills and rocks. So I am going attempt to make a cake that looks like layers of dirt and rock. And try to use maybe pretzels as fossil bones and of course gummy worms are worms. Likely, it will be messy but probably fun to make.

We have also done homemade ice cream cakes in the past and those were a big hit with adults and kids.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:45 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me

Varies a lot, and it isn't allways cake. Sometimes we have someone cater ice cream. The key thing is that it needs to look good and taste good so whatever it is (homemade, bakery) has to be great. I never buy random bakery stuff because it never tastes very good. If my kids are going to eat real sugar they are going to eat the really good stuff.

So...sometimes I bake full layer cakes or cupcakes or frosted cupcakes or we cater ice cream or buy fancy cupcakes or an ice cream cake from a good local bakery. Decoractions are usually "cake" although recently my turning 5 year old figured out that a cake could be a theme. So we got the really good ice cream and decorated it with playmobil pirates. Huge massive numbers of boats and pirates and sea serpants. It was hilarious.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:48 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me

Also to the extent possible we avoid themes and theme-y things so even if DS wants "pirates" it is really low key and might involve a treasure hunt or face paint of boat races but not purchased, themed stuff.

We also always put out a birthday ring.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:54 PM

I want to lick the bejeebus out of that frosting. Sheepish.gifbigeyes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut Chronicles View Post

DS is about to turn 3 in August. For his last two birthdays we have done homemade cupcakes that go with the theme of the party. We always have other dessert options on our dessert table as well for the folks who aren't cake fans. Cupcakes are so easy... but for his third I am thinking about doing a proper cake.

For his second birthday we did a Woodland/Gnome theme:

gnomecupcakes.jpg

2twins.gif DH, me, DD '11 blowkiss.gif and a new rainbow1284.gifbabyboy.gif born at home April '14! 

familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif cd.gif goorganic.jpgh20homebirth.gif winner.jpg 

User Tag List