Tiny homes anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-04-2012, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I enjoy reading this blog and browsing the pictures of tiny houses: http://tinyhouseblog.com

I would like to think someday my DH and I would try this. The simplicity really appeals to me. I am one that generally enjoys a certain level of spareness in a home, so this is up my alley but an extreme one nonetheless. 

Would you ever see yourselves living in one of these homes? Later, after the kids are gone, with your DPs maybe? or not? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I have wanted an Enesti from Tumbleweed for several years now: http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/products/enesti/

Actually, it would be an increase the square footage we have at present! But we are selling our place for just that reason. We have truly outgrown it now.

I would love to do a year in an RV and travel the country, actually, but DH is not into the idea. Perhaps when the kids are teens, if they still love camping and traveling, I'll do it with one/both of them! My MIL and FIL RV half the year. We've been to some very nice campgrounds while visiting them.

Book loving, editor mom to 2

Old 06-05-2012, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

actually sorta kinda i did it.

with just dd and me.

and it spoilt us for good.

we just loved it.

we lived in a fancy tool shed converted into a bedroom deal. our bed was in the loft. we loved it. in our friends backyard. it was the perfect size for us.

it has got us tripping on living in domes - in geodesic domes.

it worked for us because we are outside people. home is a place we return to sleep, not really hang out in there. 

i know a father and child who live in a garage turned home till the child got into the teens.

tiny home on a huge property is my dream. 

and A roofs. boy oh boy did my loft bedroom save power. instead of running the heater all evening, we'd only have to run it a few minutes. 

what is that show that shows how to organise small spaces. i loved that show. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 06-05-2012, 02:06 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)

I find these very fascinating, even though they aren't right for my family.

We lived in an RV for about 5 months, and there were things we really liked about it, and things that didn't work for us. I think it's imperative to be where the climate is nice enough that being outside is reasonable option. I found it more work to keep things like food organized than I though it would be. Everything had to be VERY organized all the time because we were so tight on space. 

I wouldn't want to do it again as family. For me, it would work well as a retreat.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 06-05-2012, 08:40 PM

I want a tiny home so bad. With the kids. We share a room and a bed anyways, and none of us spend much time inside, so it would work great for us. I would love nothing more than a tiny home on a lot of land.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitMom View Post

I have wanted an Enesti from Tumbleweed for several years now: http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/products/enesti/

That is a CUTE house!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooraloora View Post

I would love nothing more than a tiny home on a lot of land.

You hit the nail on the head right there. I may want a tiny home but I then I would want a lot of land.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post

I find these very fascinating, even though they aren't right for my family.

We lived in an RV for about 5 months, and there were things we really liked about it, and things that didn't work for us. I think it's imperative to be where the climate is nice enough that being outside is reasonable option. I found it more work to keep things like food organized than I though it would be. Everything had to be VERY organized all the time because we were so tight on space. 

I wouldn't want to do it again as family. For me, it would work well as a retreat.

Linda, I find it fascinating too. I enjoy browsing blogs and looking at pictures.  Although I do not live tiny now and probably would never go as small as some of these folks, it inspires me to keep it simple.  It definitely gets me to spring clean really well and declutter as much as I can. And I may find out small space living is not really for me but I would like to give it a try. Until then, I will keep the fantasy going.  Also, I agree, it will work really well as a vacation home somewhere in the woods.  

Quote:
I would love to do a year in an RV and travel the country, actually, but DH is not into the idea. Perhaps when the kids are teens, if they still love camping and traveling, I'll do it with one/both of them! My MIL and FIL RV half the year. We've been to some very nice campgrounds while visiting them.

My DH and I plan on this. Do not know when but it is on our radar. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

actually sorta kinda i did it.

with just dd and me.

and it spoilt us for good.

we just loved it.

we lived in a fancy tool shed converted into a bedroom deal. our bed was in the loft. we loved it. in our friends backyard. it was the perfect size for us.

it has got us tripping on living in domes - in geodesic domes.

it worked for us because we are outside people. home is a place we return to sleep, not really hang out in there. 

i know a father and child who live in a garage turned home till the child got into the teens.

tiny home on a huge property is my dream. 

and A roofs. boy oh boy did my loft bedroom save power. instead of running the heater all evening, we'd only have to run it a few minutes. 

what is that show that shows how to organise small spaces. i loved that show. 

thumb.gif  Good to hear it worked for you.  I actually do not know anyone who has done it.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaye View Post

thumb.gif  Good to hear it worked for you.  I actually do not know anyone who has done it.

For the life of me I cant remember the show. because it showed the life of people who actually did it. 

i thought you might find this inspiring. http://perezhilton.com/2012-04-24-oprah-visits-with-impoverished-family-in-india#.T5l-4e33CCU

because isnt it sad you know no one who has done it, yet many parts of the world dont know any better. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 06-06-2012, 11:29 AM

I confess to being completed fascinated by the Tiny House phenomenon, and I totally fantasize about living in one. My fantasy doesn't involve living there with my DP and DD, however. So it's more of a retreat for me. My DP is not exactly a hoarder, but she is comfortable with WAY more stuff around her than I like. What I picture is that maybe when DD is grown, we can put a tiny house in our backyard for me. And DP can have her clutter in our house, and I can have a place all my own that only has the stuff I want. It's a fantasy.

Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

Old 06-06-2012, 12:32 PM

The Enesti cited by LitMom is super cute, but like LitMom's situation, the Enesti is bigger than our apartment! 

I too like the idea of the tiny home movement.  Right now it wouldn't be practical for us given our location, jobs, etc., but it does have a certain appeal. 

I should note, though (like CI Mom) that my DH is a bit of a "collector."  Before I could live with him a tiny home (smalller than our apartment), he would need to re-evaluate his love of collecting, and I don't think that is going to happen any time soon.

There was an article a while back that I enjoyed about a guy who lives in a coverted janitor's closet in a Manhattan apartment building.  He perfected the art of organization and storage and it was quite fascinating.  The place looked comfortable and efficient.  I think it is a cool concept. 

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsCradle View Post

I should note, though (like CI Mom) that my DH is a bit of a "collector."  Before I could live with him a tiny home (smalller than our apartment), he would need to re-evaluate his love of collecting, and I don't think that is going to happen any time soon.

"Collector"...I like that. Sounds so much better than "pack rat" or "hoarder".

Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

Old 06-06-2012, 05:55 PM

I grew up in tiny, low-income apartments all my life, so I guess I find myself wanting to break out of that. Although by looking at that blog, I think my idea of a 'big house' is probably considered tiny for the average American. I just want a 3 bedroom house, rooms can be small but the living room/kitchen area should be open with lots of windows. And a large deck/porch/lanai outside. To me, that's a big house!

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

Old 06-06-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CI Mama View Post

"Collector"...I like that. Sounds so much better than "pack rat" or "hoarder".

Yes, it's a term that was coined by DH's brother, it is kinder in his approach than I am.  It's good stuff, though, CI Mama.  Totally unusual music that requires a sort of mole-like quality to obtain...out of print books by obscure authors...antiques that are  special to him (old lunchboxes, 45 holders, bizarre and obscure statuettes that are totally off the map).  That being said, it's too much stuff.  I appreciate his mind.  The clutter, not so much.  :)

Old 06-06-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat13 View Post

I think my idea of a 'big house' is probably considered tiny for the average American. I just want a 3 bedroom house, rooms can be small but the living room/kitchen area should be open with lots of windows. And a large deck/porch/lanai outside. To me, that's a big house!

That's not far off from the kind of house we live in. I do think it's a big house, but we once lived in an RV so my perspective is different. For our income bracket and the part of the country we live in, it's a small house.

We have lived in truly big houses, and I found that difficult in it's own way. Stuff just got lost. And things accumulated for no reason. I believe that stuff expands to fill available space. headscratch.gif I was aware of it and yet couldn't stop it from happening.

The terms "big" and "small" really depend on your perspective, and I think the American McMansion and wrapped a lot of people's ideas. A 3 bed room ranch with lots of light is my idea of a "just right" house for the 4 members of my family.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by meemee View Post

i thought you might find this inspiring. http://perezhilton.com/2012-04-24-oprah-visits-with-impoverished-family-in-india#.T5l-4e33CCU

because isnt it sad you know no one who has done it, yet many parts of the world dont know any better. 

I should clarify, I meant to say  I knew no one who willingly went from being able to have a big place to a tiny house. Thanks for the link.  I was actually pretty impressed by how organized this particular place is.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post

I believe that stuff expands to fill available space. headscratch.gif I was aware of it and yet couldn't stop it from happening.

YES. YES.  YES.  Which is why I like smaller places.  Our current residence is a 3 bedroom apartment and we have three adults and two children in our family. It is small but it works quiet well for us.  I like that it forces me to minimize the stuff acumlation. I find too much stuff mentally opressive.  

Quote:

The Enesti cited by LitMom is super cute, but like LitMom's situation, the Enesti is bigger than our apartment! 

I too like the idea of the tiny home movement.  Right now it wouldn't be practical for us given our location, jobs, etc., but it does have a certain appeal. 

There was an article a while back that I enjoyed about a guy who lives in a coverted janitor's closet in a Manhattan apartment building.  He perfected the art of organization and storage and it was quite fascinating.  The place looked comfortable and efficient.  I think it is a cool concept. 

A collector. Lol.  I have never been much into collecting outside stuff but my husband wants to throw EVERYTHING out (old postcards, letters, artwork from the children, their first outfits  and shoes... he does not get why I would want to hang on to some of that!) so we still have the dynamic of one partner wanting to keep more stuff than the other.  

Any of you a fan of George Carlin? I love his bit about stuff: 

Here is a linkhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac

Enjoy!

Old 06-06-2012, 11:18 PM

I read the Tiny Houses blog and love it! It seems like such a cool thing to do.

That said, we have five people living in two bedroom student housing, and now that the kids are getting older, I think that we could realistically only do bigger rather than smaller (especially given our long winters).

But maybe someday when the kids are gone... 

love.gif

Old 06-06-2012, 11:24 PM

I would love, love, love to live in a yurt. We are "vacationing" in a yurt (camping? whatever you want to call it!) with the kids this year. DH would definitely go along with this idea as long as the yurt came with lots of land, that's his big thing. He wants outside space. We are outside people... especially DH & and the kids... I sometimes need to go inside and recoup, but the 3 of them seem to only need the indoors for sleep and nothing else!

We moved from our first home, 1800 sq ft, to a tiny apartment (or in comparison, anyway), 900 sq ft last year... and the amount of stuff we sold, donated, or threw away absolutely boggles my mind. Since then I have taken the mantra "I hate stuff." and when we moved into our current home (about 1200 sq ft) I was pleased to find that not only does everything fit, but we have tons of breathing room and nothing looks or feels crowded. I enjoy the simplicity and know I would enjoy it even more on a smaller scale.

sleepytime.gifjog.gifSleepy, running, wife to superhero.gif DH 08/09 -  Mama to jog.gif DS 8/08 & love.gif DD 1/11

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. " - Japanese Proverb

Old 06-07-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:

Yes, it's a term that was coined by DH's brother, it is kinder in his approach than I am.  It's good stuff, though, CI Mama.  Totally unusual music that requires a sort of mole-like quality to obtain...out of print books by obscure authors...antiques that are  special to him (old lunchboxes, 45 holders, bizarre and obscure statuettes that are totally off the map).  That being said, it's too much stuff.  I appreciate his mind.  The clutter, not so much.  :)

My DP's stuff is all over the map...there are some good books and LPs in there (Elsa Lancaster's "Bawdy Cockney Songs" is a particular favorite of mine), but she also has a penchant for picking stuff up from curbsides that might be put to good use in a "project" someday. It is true that occasionally she has managed to turn an old bed frame into a trellis and it doesn't look half bad. But I'm not always convinced that justifies the mounds of junk in our basement and under tarps in our backyard! I just keep reminding myself that compared to her parents & the house she grew up in, we look pretty normal...

Emaye, I love that George Carlin sketch! thumb.gif

Old 06-07-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Would you ever see yourselves living in one of these homes? Later, after the kids are gone, with your DPs maybe? or not? 

Probably not. They are cute and I could see staying in one with dh for a vacation but not permanently living in one.

Dh has a very large collection of game stuff and we have a lot of books that we would never part with. We also are not really outdoors people or people who are on the go all the time.

I have lived in a small space with other people and it was not for me.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

Old 06-07-2012, 11:40 AM

When the kids move out I'd be into something smaller just for me & dh - especially something on the water.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:

I like that it forces me to minimize the stuff acumlation. I find too much stuff mentally opressive.  

YES!!!  It is oppressive! I like the George Carlin bit.

Have you ever seen the movie Fight Club? There's a lot of stuff in it about how we select and buy things to define ourselves. My favorite line is "working jobs we hate to buy things we don't need."

(disclaimer -- this is a very rough movie, not for the faint of heart, and is not even vaguely appropriate for children.)

Old 06-07-2012, 02:57 PM
Dar

I have trouble seeing 800 square feet as tiny... I think that's about average for the places we've lived. Our place now is bigger, if you include the semi-finished basement... others have been smaller. I wouldn't want a huge house. I think we've always had plenty of space.

Rain and her friend will be sharing a 350 square foot apartment (and paying $700 each!) next year... that's small, for the U.S., but in other countries it's really not.

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

Old 06-08-2012, 05:38 PM

You know, I wish we had done this.  When we were looking for houses we wanted a little 1920's cottage, there are several in the city.  However we caved to the 'experiance' of our parents.  Bigger is better, etc.  We have an 1800 sq ft house, I didn't love it when we bought it and I don't love it now.  We even have a whole light filled gorgeous open family style room upstairs that we don't use.  It's just too much space.  The best thing we did was screen the front porch, that's what we use all the time.  Even while I b*tch I realize how ungrateful I sound, please forgive me.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:05 PM

We've lived in an RV for three years. We're done with tiny living. Oh, it's two adults, two teens, a newborn baby. I need a house with decent square footage and that's what I'm working on (my great-grandparents' house). What I do love about tiny living is, it demands being organized and patient. I keep looking for organizing tips so that the house will be efficient in every way possible in regards to "stuff".

Old 06-26-2012, 02:09 PM

I love these tiny houses!

DH and I day dream about getting a chunk of land so he can have a bigger garden (does backyard to market right now).  We also make and sell soap.  He's Mr. Fix It by trade (hvac, building, grounds) and I'm a massage therapist.  He'd love to have a little workshop and greenhouses, whereas I'd like to have an onsite spa retreat and fragrant garden for guests to visit and possibly even hosts outdoor events.  We looked at having a couple yurts to start, but these little houses are so cute.  I see our Soapin' Shack! :D

Old 07-03-2012, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:

Me too! I love, love, love this house! It's about 100 square feet bigger than our apartment now, but I think it's a touch small for us now that we have a kid. I like to entertain, so I'd really want just a little more space for a dining room. But I can't imagine ever going bigger than 1000 square feet - I definitely want a human scale house. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Old 07-03-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post

Rain and her friend will be sharing a 350 square foot apartment (and paying $700 each!) next year... that's small, for the U.S., but in other countries it's really not.

Wow, where in the world is that - NYC? We pay $725 for 650 square feet on the north side of Chicago... 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Old 07-04-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Wow, where in the world is that - NYC? We pay $725 for 650 square feet on the north side of Chicago... 

Average rent for a one bedroom in NYC (which is 600 - 800 sq ft) is $2,400 (it varies per neighborhood but that is the average most definitely in Manhattan and most parts of Brooklyn).  I guess a studio would run you about $1,400.  

Crazy thing, we bought our one-bedroom a number of years back and our mortgage is half of what people are paying in rent for the same space.  Crazy!

Old 07-04-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:

Average rent for a one bedroom in NYC (which is 600 - 800 sq ft) is $2,400 (it varies per neighborhood but that is the average most definitely in Manhattan and most parts of Brooklyn).  I guess a studio would run you about $1,400.  

Crazy thing, we bought our one-bedroom a number of years back and our mortgage is half of what people are paying in rent for the same space.  Crazy!

Wow. How do people do it? 

Old 07-05-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Wow. How do people do it? 

On average, people get paid a lot more here too.  If I were in the same position someplace else with the same skills and experience, it is likely that I would make half of what I do here.  Cost of living and wages are pretty much commensurate, otherwise there would be a glut of housing without takers.  I think too that you can't account for the very rich (who pay millions for their housing) and the poor to very poor (who live in less-desirable conditions or subsidized housing).  I guess you have to take into account too that the cost of food (at least in my experience) is cheaper here, plus the average person doesn't keep and maintain a vehicle.  Housing costs more but I have found that savings occur in other areas.  :)

User Tag List