What are you doing about the *What If* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 06-06-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not - so mods feel free to move if you have to!

Ok - now, obviously I HOPE the economy grows and the federal deficit DOESN'T grow and blah blah blah BUT it almost seems like a shift in......something is coming.

I'm not sure if it is hyperinflation or deflation or riots in the street.

What are YOU doing/ or ARE you doing anything to prepare for the unknown?

I feel like if crap truly hits the proverbial fan my family and I will only survive on luck and neighbors/family helping each other out. 

But what about the dollar crashing? Or hyper inflation? What if the grocery stores are empty for a few months or the electricity is off for a few months?

I am just looking to see what others are doing to make themselves feel better. Stocking up on water? Canned food? 

Or, on the flip side, do you feel like nothing is really going to happen so you don't feel the need to prepare at alll?

lurk.gif

SomethingAnonymous likes this.

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 34 Old 06-06-2012, 01:45 PM

This could end up a really interesting conversation, and I'm looking forward to it.  lurk.gif

We've always kept some degree of food storage, water storage on hand.  And try to keep sufficiency in mind when maintaining our home.  (We don't live off grid in an earthship with total solar/water/etc self-sufficiency. like my BIL & his family, but we do admire that kind of lifestyle change and things like this are a big part of their decision to do that for their family.).

I know concerns like this are why dh keeps trying to convince me we should invest in guns.  Not sure whether that's really the way to go, but it always comes up for him.  (Doesn't help that we've watched shows like Survivors and Jericho, and you end up seeing how 'useful' they are).

#3 of 34 Old 06-06-2012, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkimum View Post

This could end up a really interesting conversation, and I'm looking forward to it.  lurk.gif

Yes! I'm hoping it does just so I can see what other families are doing and (hopefully) even get some ideas! I have a bad habit of freaking out and end up not doing anything. If I could take a healthier approach to it I think I would actually accomplish something eyesroll.gif

My husband doesn't *get it* at all. He thinks I'm crazy. lol.gif He does have a hunting rifle, but probably not any ammo.  

Getting some hunting rifles might be the way to go, because they are not regulated by the government at all. So if/when gun rights get taken away you won't have it on any registry.

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#4 of 34 Old 06-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Dia

Sometimes I think about this, but honestly I'm not worried at all. The dollar may completely crash. We could all need stockpiles of food and water. Or nothing could happen at all. 

I have been through enough devastating things in my life to know that nothing is permanent and that I will be okay. Don't be fearful, it's a really tough way to live your life.

All is well :)

MadiMamacita and purslaine like this.

Mama to one amazing ecbaby2.gif
#5 of 34 Old 06-06-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie2186 View Post

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not - so mods feel free to move if you have to!

Ok - now, obviously I HOPE the economy grows and the federal deficit DOESN'T grow and blah blah blah BUT it almost seems like a shift in......something is coming.

I'm not sure if it is hyperinflation or deflation or riots in the street.

What are YOU doing/ or ARE you doing anything to prepare for the unknown?

I feel like if crap truly hits the proverbial fan my family and I will only survive on luck and neighbors/family helping each other out. 

But what about the dollar crashing? Or hyper inflation? What if the grocery stores are empty for a few months or the electricity is off for a few months?

I am just looking to see what others are doing to make themselves feel better. Stocking up on water? Canned food? 

Or, on the flip side, do you feel like nothing is really going to happen so you don't feel the need to prepare at alll?

lurk.gif

We haven't really done any stockpiling and I'm not spending much time worrying about it.

I do not anticipate where we live having rioting or a need to have weapons.

I think it would be harder to deal with shortages or power outages due to natural disasters.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#6 of 34 Old 06-06-2012, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

I totally agree - I don't think it is something that should be actively worried about. That is no way to live your life AND it is impossible to *figure* things out until they happen. 

However I don't think that buying extra canned foods or having some water stored would be a bad idea. Having extra food could even help during a bad time financially. Another example is that a water main broke recently and we almost ran out of water for two days. That got me thinking that having some water stored would be nice for situations like that.

I don't think it will turn into a crazy zombie land forsure - but even things like hurricane Katrina can turn people into jerks. I don't think having a gun for your family's safety is necessarily a bad idea, especially if your husband is a hunter and has one ANYWAYS! 

Shoot - even SALES make people go crazy. People getting stabbed and stomped on for a 2 dollar waffle maker angry.gif

#7 of 34 Old 06-06-2012, 04:31 PM

Okay, OP, you asked for it.  LOL!

I don't actively worry about the future.  Why?  See above posters.  Also, DH and I have come from a long line of individuals who have survived by their wits,  Wits, I think, are the key issue here.

I'm a big fan of apocalyptic literature, and one thing I learned from the musings of these writers, is that one can be prepared as possible but it is ultimately is a battle of the wits.  We live in a small apartment in a large city, so stockpiling goods is not something we can do on practical level.  What we can do is educate ourselves on survival.  What can you eat/find in times of famine?  What can you exchange for sustenance?  Where do you go if something bad happens?  It is a planned strategy of sorts for basic, initial action.  The rest is up to you, the survivor.

We don't store goods but we have backpacks, water filters, stuff you need in the wilderness.  We live on an island and as long as there is  bridge or tunnel available for crossing, we should be fine in terms of getting "out."  The rest is up to our wits.  Survival stuff that you learn either through experience or intense study.  My guess is that a dire situation would call for an immediate evacuation from one's place of abode (but this is only based on the factual situation specific to my own family and the place where I live).  I know that me and my own could survive off the land if we had to (we might be skeletal versions of ourselves but survive nonetheless).  Because of our backpacking and the danger of being lost in the wilderness, we have studied the type of stuff you can eat without other paid, food sources.

I also think it is a good idea to have a cash reserve for payoffs, as well as items that will sell for tradeoffs.  Payoffs mean a lot in the initial escape.  

To all the people that think I'm just this city mom on MDC with the normal kid issues:  I'll admit full and frontal that I think about these things.  Not for any political "oh my goodness they're coming to get me" reasons, but simply because I live on coastal lands where the possibility of complete societal destruction is remotely possible and because I'm a planner of sorts.  :)  Plus I watch a lot movies and read a lot books.  Okay, I'm slightly paranoid.  But that's okay.  I'll share my granola bars...ultimately I'm fair.  ROTFLMAO.gif

AbbyGrant likes this.

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#8 of 34 Old 06-06-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyzombiecat View Post

We haven't really done any stockpiling and I'm not spending much time worrying about it.

I do not anticipate where we live having rioting or a need to have weapons.

I think it would be harder to deal with shortages or power outages due to natural disasters.

Same here. I live on an island where it's common to have tsunamis and lava (not near my house, thankfully) and earthquakes, so I just have some items for a few days without power or services: 5 gal water, few canned goods & granola bars, first aid kit, candles, batteries, flashlights, etc, all near my camping equipment. Quite a few people in my area have water catchment too, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

But I don't put much time into worrying about things that are not very likely (although still in the realm of possibilities, I guess). I think for me, it would lead to a slippery slope of what-ifs that would leave me feeling helpless and hopeless. Too many unknown unknowns out there, ya know?

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#9 of 34 Old 06-06-2012, 05:43 PM

Honestly, I don't allow myself to put much thought into it as I have an anxiety issue anyways and it just isn't healthy for me. However, my life goal is to be totally self-sufficient. Not for the zombie apocalypse or anything. I just don't trust major corporations or the government to take care of me or my family. And I just plain like being a hermit. shrug.gif So basically I spend the vast majority of my time learning the skills I need to survive on my own (e.g. efficient organic gardening, food preservation, wildcrafting, herbal medicine, acquiring clean water, et cetera), simplifying my lifestyle, and rediscovering old fashioned ways of doing things (ways that don't require I buy anything). I figure if the SHTF, we'll probably be okay. 

#10 of 34 Old 06-06-2012, 05:46 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I'm not an economist, but the economists I trust say that deflation is a much greater risk (possibility)  than inflation.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#11 of 34 Old 06-06-2012, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsCradle View Post

Okay, OP, you asked for it.  LOL!

I don't actively worry about the future.  Why?  See above posters.  Also, DH and I have come from a long line of individuals who have survived by their wits,  Wits, I think, are the key issue here.

I'm a big fan of apocalyptic literature, and one thing I learned from the musings of these writers, is that one can be prepared as possible but it is ultimately is a battle of the wits.  We live in a small apartment in a large city, so stockpiling goods is not something we can do on practical level.  What we can do is educate ourselves on survival.  What can you eat/find in times of famine?  What can you exchange for sustenance?  Where do you go if something bad happens?  It is a planned strategy of sorts for basic, initial action.  The rest is up to you, the survivor.

We don't store goods but we have backpacks, water filters, stuff you need in the wilderness.  We live on an island and as long as there is  bridge or tunnel available for crossing, we should be fine in terms of getting "out."  The rest is up to our wits.  Survival stuff that you learn either through experience or intense study.  My guess is that a dire situation would call for an immediate evacuation from one's place of abode (but this is only based on the factual situation specific to my own family and the place where I live).  I know that me and my own could survive off the land if we had to (we might be skeletal versions of ourselves but survive nonetheless).  Because of our backpacking and the danger of being lost in the wilderness, we have studied the type of stuff you can eat without other paid, food sources.

I also think it is a good idea to have a cash reserve for payoffs, as well as items that will sell for tradeoffs.  Payoffs mean a lot in the initial escape.  

To all the people that think I'm just this city mom on MDC with the normal kid issues:  I'll admit full and frontal that I think about these things.  Not for any political "oh my goodness they're coming to get me" reasons, but simply because I live on coastal lands where the possibility of complete societal destruction is remotely possible and because I'm a planner of sorts.  :)  Plus I watch a lot movies and read a lot books.  Okay, I'm slightly paranoid.  But that's okay.  I'll share my granola bars...ultimately I'm fair.  ROTFLMAO.gif

Thanks! I'm loving these responses. I guess I am just wondering where everyone else stands on these issues. It seems no one wants to talk about it (which I totally get) and prepares in their own ways. 

I have stopped actively worrying about it (which I admit I did do for a couple months about a year ago). but I do like to *feel* prepared. I really like how you said you learned what you can/cannot eat off the land. I think that is something I am really going to look into.

Thanks again!

#12 of 34 Old 06-06-2012, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooraloora View Post

Honestly, I don't allow myself to put much thought into it as I have an anxiety issue anyways and it just isn't healthy for me. However, my life goal is to be totally self-sufficient. Not for the zombie apocalypse or anything. I just don't trust major corporations or the government to take care of me or my family. And I just plain like being a hermit. shrug.gif So basically I spend the vast majority of my time learning the skills I need to survive on my own (e.g. efficient organic gardening, food preservation, wildcrafting, herbal medicine, acquiring clean water, et cetera), simplifying my lifestyle, and rediscovering old fashioned ways of doing things (ways that don't require I buy anything). I figure if the SHTF, we'll probably be okay. 

My husband and I are planning on moving out to the country as soon as we can. I can't wait to have chickens, a goat or cow and a garden thumb.gif  I do need to learn more about food preservation and herbal medicine though. 

What about water filters? If you had less than ideal water resources - would those Brita water bottles with the filter in them actually help any?

#13 of 34 Old 06-06-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:

What about water filters? If you had less than ideal water resources - would those Brita water bottles with the filter in them actually help any?

I'm not sure what the Brita water filters comprise of?  My initial thought is that they are filters for tap water?  I need to look into that.  I would go to a good camping store like REI or Eastern Mountain Sports.  They have water purifiers for actually collecting water from natural sources like ponds, lakes and rivers and they have special carbon filters for filtering out the stuff that collects in rivers, etc.  Iodine tablets are a good thing to have on hand too.

#14 of 34 Old 06-07-2012, 06:25 AM
A&A

If the SHTF, growing one's own food isn't the only problem.  Keeping other people from stealing it will also be a problem.

dbsam and SomethingAnonymous like this.

#15 of 34 Old 06-07-2012, 09:47 AM

I took an online quiz that assured me I would be zombie food in about 5 minutes of an apocolypse.

#16 of 34 Old 06-07-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhianna813 View Post

I took an online quiz that assured me I would be zombie food in about 5 minutes of an apocolypse.

yeahthat.gif

We keep an eye to the future at all times, but do we try to predict which disaster we're going to have to live through?  Nope.

Humanity has already survived at least one, probably more, "extinction events", where the population dwindled to near zero, and then recovered.

We'll either live, or we'll die.  I try my hardest to worry about (and prepare for) the most likely scenario, rather than the most dramatic.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#17 of 34 Old 06-07-2012, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhianna813 View Post

Oh yes! I'm definitely zombie food too! 

No, seriously though, I didn't start this thread with the intent of "what if aliens invade and infect us with a zombie mucus bug" or whatever. 

I just worry about our society as a whole. We are SOOOOOO dependent on grocery stores. We are SO dependent on electricity. What if something happens that makes these things hard to come by for even a few MONTHS. That would totally suck. 

The idea's of learning what you can forage to eat, etc. are what I started this for. That is a really good idea. Living in CO I am sure there is quite a bit of stuff I could find.

Water filters? Freaking GENIUS! Yeah, it's kind of dry here, but I am sure I could find water. Actually there is a crappy lake not to far away. 

How pathetic is it that I have always freaked out about enough water storage and never even considered natural resources? 

The sad truth is that humanity is so pathetic that even something as little as the dollar crashing (either inflation or deflation) could really send us into a tail spin for several years. 

Just realizing that I don't have to live on a farm to learn fundamental things on how to forage for my own food was worth starting this thread! lol.gif

#18 of 34 Old 06-07-2012, 03:43 PM

#19 of 34 Old 06-07-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:

Oh yes! I'm definitely zombie food too! 

No, seriously though, I didn't start this thread with the intent of "what if aliens invade and infect us with a zombie mucus bug" or whatever. 

I just worry about our society as a whole. We are SOOOOOO dependent on grocery stores. We are SO dependent on electricity. What if something happens that makes these things hard to come by for even a few MONTHS. That would totally suck. 

The idea's of learning what you can forage to eat, etc. are what I started this for. That is a really good idea. Living in CO I am sure there is quite a bit of stuff I could find.

Water filters? Freaking GENIUS! Yeah, it's kind of dry here, but I am sure I could find water. Actually there is a crappy lake not to far away. 

How pathetic is it that I have always freaked out about enough water storage and never even considered natural resources? 

The sad truth is that humanity is so pathetic that even something as little as the dollar crashing (either inflation or deflation) could really send us into a tail spin for several years. 

Just realizing that I don't have to live on a farm to learn fundamental things on how to forage for my own food was worth starting this thread! lol.gif

I concur with the last poster that this is a fun and welcome post.  That being said, I don't think zombie situations are so different then economic meltdowns.  Zombies...starving people...sort of the same thing, in my opinion (not that starving people will eat you, but they will do what they can to survive...even it it puts your own life at risk).  Perhaps we don't have the zombie problem but economics are a big factor nonetheless.  Total breakdown in terms of economics and the will of people to survive.  If there aren't zombies, there are certainly people trying to take a cut of your personal action!  Accept the fact that you'll need to share to survive.  Total protection of your resources don't cut it unless you have Molotov cocktails and other devices to do away with needy people.  Study people who have survived in extreme circumstances and they'll be the first to admit that:  "humanity" and  proper behavior as we know it takes second seat to the need to survive.  

#20 of 34 Old 06-07-2012, 06:45 PM

You could learn how to do things the old fashioned way and cut down your reliance on modern conveniences.

I also think in a "society is crumbling" situation practical skills/knowledge are something valuable that could be traded for food or other resources.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#21 of 34 Old 06-07-2012, 07:23 PM

Well let me jump in here. :)

I kinda see it like Y2K. It could happen, so prepare, but it very well might not, so don't line every wall with canned goods (only to realize you have only an electric can opener! Gaaaaa! Where's the machete?duh.gif).  I have a few things. Which I just use till they're running low and then get new. Like I buy bulk organic dry potatoes, dry milk, pinto beans (which lasts no time around here), cornmeal, flour. We're way out in the country, we're on a well, but the in-laws have a generator (we share the well) and farm gas/diesel that could be used. They always have a HUGE garden, the sisters and I all have little ones. I can things, including lots of GREEN tomato stuff last year since it frosted early. Seriously, 2 laundry baskets full of green tomatoes. Couldn't just waste them. I figured if we're starving, they might look good..... Hubby has hunting rifles, so does my FIL. They also have some ammo. There's 2 lakes within walking distance for water and fishing. They have little things they've used camping for survival, and we have a wood stove and charcoal grill. My FIL knows a lot of wild edible/ medicinal plants, and I really want to get a book on it soon. It might not be convenient if there's ever a problem, but Lord willing, we'll survive.

Frequent Auto Correct Victim. Sheepish.gif

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

#22 of 34 Old 06-07-2012, 07:28 PM
A&A

As I sit here nursing my case of pneumonia, I fear not being able to readily get antibiotics in a SHTF situation. 

#23 of 34 Old 06-07-2012, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post

As I sit here nursing my case of pneumonia, I fear not being able to readily get antibiotics in a SHTF situation. 

I agree.  I worry it would really becoem a survival of the fittest.  anyone who needed life-saving meds would not make it :(

#24 of 34 Old 06-08-2012, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post

Ugh - this sucks because I just realized that my husband is on high blood pressure meds. (he has had high blood pressure since he was a teen - no explanation).

I really need to look into some natural way to get it under control. Or at least help a little.

#25 of 34 Old 06-08-2012, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKoehn View Post
 I can things, including lots of GREEN tomato stuff last year since it frosted early. Seriously, 2 laundry baskets full of green tomatoes. Couldn't just waste them. I figured if we're starving, they might look good..... 

Ha! I vaguely remember Little House on the Prairie books, and they made a pie out of green tomatoes! The black birds were eating everything, so they picked them green. Love it.

Sounds like you have alot going for you............so jealous of people like you lol.gif

#26 of 34 Old 06-08-2012, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Study people who have survived in extreme circumstances and they'll be the first to admit that:  "humanity" and  proper behavior as we know it takes second seat to the need to survive.  

While this is often true - probably more often than not - there are historical incidents that are a little more encouraging. I'm thinking of the Shackleton expedition to the South Pole. Their ship sank, they were stranded with few provisions in one of the harshest environments in the world and had to cross almost 1000 miles of open water in a couple of lifeboats to reach help. They all survived and it was only possible by cooperating and working together. Endurance by Alfred Lansing is a fascinating account of their experience. 

Here - we have enough camping equipment (propane stove, lamps etc.) to manage for short-term emergencies. Every once in a while I debate buying an emergency generator. I have some food stocked in the pantry. That's more about keeping staples on hand and taking advantage of sales, and not so much about emergency rations. I can forage and recognize some wild edibles but probably not enough for a healthy, well-rounded diet. It wouldn't help during the winter season anyway. Clean water would be a problem - iodine tablets are probably the solution. Since a 3-day blackout in our area several years ago, I do keep some cash on hand in the house, in case of prolonged blackout that makes ATM's and direct debit or credit unusable. 

Which is all to say, we are woefully unprepared for a true epic disaster, particularly one that strikes mid-winter. 

ETA: DH was a boy scout and he is pretty capable. Between us, I think we'd manage to survive for awhile.  

CatsCradle likes this.
#27 of 34 Old 06-08-2012, 04:37 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Mostly just watching a lot of cool 1970s apocolyptic films and relying on the fact that my dad keeps a serious arsenal of weapons and ammunition. I am opposed to the later unless there are zombies. Or people want to eat my kids. Or people want to eat my old people.

It's PEOPLE!

journeymom likes this.
#28 of 34 Old 06-09-2012, 10:38 AM

I don't think Brita filters made for use with tap water would help make potable water out of lake or stream water. Specially made filters at outdoors stores like those mentioned will, though. Such filters are made to weed out giardia, the parasite in water sources. You do not want to drink giardia-tainted water. Zombies might be a less painful experience.

Quote:

I'm not sure what the Brita water filters comprise of?  My initial thought is that they are filters for tap water?  I need to look into that.  I would go to a good camping store like REI or Eastern Mountain Sports.  They have water purifiers for actually collecting water from natural sources like ponds, lakes and rivers and they have special carbon filters for filtering out the stuff that collects in rivers, etc.  Iodine tablets are a good thing to have on hand too.

Lovin' my four-pack: M, S, a different M, and sleepytime.gif me.

#29 of 34 Old 06-09-2012, 10:56 AM

#30 of 34 Old 06-09-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:

Ugh - this sucks because I just realized that my husband is on high blood pressure meds. (he has had high blood pressure since he was a teen - no explanation).

I really need to look into some natural way to get it under control. Or at least help a little.
Hibiscus tea!
(though in the situations we are discussing that would only help if you live in the tropics.. )

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page