Do you have a blog? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 06-08-2012, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought there used to be a forum for finding blogs that people on MDC were writing, but it seems to have closed.

Do you have a blog that you want to share? I recently made one, and Ill put the link to it when Im done, but I'd be interested in reading other blogs too. I have a handful that I read regularly, but a lot of them are mostly about food that people are making, and Im not cooking a lot right now, so Im looking to diversify my reading a bit.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#2 of 38 Old 06-08-2012, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I started one this year but it has been sadly neglected during my first trimester of lying on the couch wimpering quietly to myself. I'm hoping to revive it soon though. It's a bit of parenting, a bit of craft and cooking and a bit of health. Mostly craft at the moment because that was what I was doing a lot of when I started it.

Not sure if I'm allowed to link it on this thread but it is a Wordpress blog called Milk and Rain.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 38 Old 06-09-2012, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Anyone else? Or does anyone know of a cool blog that they read? When I do a google search so much stuff comes up that it is overwhelming.

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#4 of 38 Old 06-09-2012, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

Mine is Apartment Farm; link is in my signature line. It's about cooking, gardening, crafting, and all that in the city. 

Two of my favorite parenting blogs to read are All For The Boys and Crappy Pictures

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#5 of 38 Old 06-10-2012, 05:31 PM

AM- do you use google reader?  i'll share my contents with you if so... i have a huge list, blog reading is kind of my other fun distraction during the workweek. 

i am so glad you're going to have one.  please do share it!

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#6 of 38 Old 06-10-2012, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I've only recently put it up, and Id like to work on editing the posts a little more, along with making a format that I like a little better. The title is a work in progress- Im trying to think of something better.

www.itscharlieovertheocean.blogspot.com

I have no clue what google reader is, but isnt blogspot a google thing?

SIDS happens. 

#7 of 38 Old 06-11-2012, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I had a blog for awhile there but I found I just couldn't keep up. Also, I had a hard time choosing what to write about. It was two themes: being an expat and my experience of this culture, and parenting. I realized pretty quick that a blog really needs just one theme. And the parenting posts, while they did sort of help me to process some things or express my views, were pretty boring. The posts on culture and being a foreigner were pretty fun though and I collected a bunch of ideas for future posts.

But yeah, it was taking me like 1+ hours to write each one and sooner or later I couldn't keep up anymore. I still think about starting it up again and just dropping the parenting stuff and focusing on the expat stuff.

I looked at your blog and will keep doing so. I'm sure it helps you process stuff to write about it...well it does for me at least. redface.gif

Some I like:

Zen Habits

Joyful Toddlers

I also recently came across some fun blogs with creative ideas to do with kids:

B Inspired, Mama!

Counting Coconuts

And then for knitters there's this one from an amazing knit designer :

Knit and Tonic

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#8 of 38 Old 06-11-2012, 02:21 PM

I have 2 blogs.  The first one is my personal blog where I post recipes, thrifty ideas, home decor items that I have recreated and a bunch of other random stuff!  It is called The Thrifty Queen Speaks.

My other blog is a blog that my closest friend and I created to post pictures of things we are grateful for every single day.  It is a new blog, but we are loving it!!  It is called Ketchup & Pomegranates (check out the blog to find out why we call it that!).

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#9 of 38 Old 06-26-2012, 05:45 PM

"Cars that fit the planet and the budget - and the cello".

Many cars that you cannot -yet- buy in the US have envy-inducing fuel efficiency. I'm optimistic they will come here soon.  Some reviews, some technical stuff, some general philosophy about cars and car buying (since women think about them very differently from men, but men dominate the car writing). 

Keeps the left half of my brain from atrophy.

Oh: www.cellomomcars.com

Latest post: "So you want a seven-seat car that does better than 30mpg".

journeymom likes this.
#10 of 38 Old 06-27-2012, 09:41 AM

I don't have a blog, and I don't read any on a regular basis. But, I do enjoy Crappy Pictures, and Hyperbole and a Half.

Kaydove likes this.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#11 of 38 Old 06-27-2012, 09:42 PM
A&A

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I love reading Raising My Rainbow.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#12 of 38 Old 07-03-2012, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I love crappy pictures too! Food good laundry bad is great and I LOVE diary of a mom. 

I write over at 

www.you-leave-me-breadless.blogspot.com
it started out being only about autism and our diet and has since taken on a life of its own

Annemarie ~catholic mom of 8 -4 boys (19-16-10-7).Emma)2 girls (3 and 1)Someone new due in April too!An yes I Blog @ You Leave me breadless blog
#13 of 38 Old 07-11-2012, 11:52 AM

I have a blog, but it's about family bike riding. :)

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#14 of 38 Old 07-12-2012, 09:47 AM

I do have a personal blog but I don't know if I am allowed to put a link. It's all about being work at home mom and travels I did with my family.

#15 of 38 Old 07-12-2012, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Sure, I think you can link your blog, as long as it's not a commercial site.

I'm terrible at reading blogs, something about the computer screen and just expecting more to happen, or something.  Maybe if I read them on an iPad or something.  But I do read the blog Dances with Fat, because she is fairly succinct.  And I'll read cooking blogs with all the photos.  Filth Wizardry is fun too.

ETA: I wasn't a mod when I made this post.  So it was just my understanding of how this site has worked over the years.  But I have read the UA a number of times since then, and I still don't seem something that prohibits linking personal blogs in discussion posts. :)

#16 of 38 Old 07-13-2012, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Sure, I think you can link your blog, as long as it's not a commercial site.

Nope, it is not commercial site. It is a personal blog, a relatively new one, I put it up last year of Feb. I know I am not a writer but since it's a personal one, I thought of writing them myself. Here it is:

#17 of 38 Old 07-13-2012, 03:12 AM

Hi,

I started a blog about a month ago - it's pretty random right now as I try to figure out how I want to go with it. I live in Roseville in Northern California and I think I would like to evolve into talking about local events and things to do in our area with kids, and I repost a lot of good parenting articles I read.  I love reading blogs - Janet Lansbury and Teacher Tom are my go-to blogs for parenting issues, and I love Counting Coconuts for ideas on sensory bins and Montessori ideas. Modern Parents Messy Kids is my fave arts & craft / design blog. 

My 2.5 year old daughter Arabella tells me some great stories that she generously allows me to post on the site. Here's a sample one:

Bear ran on the dinosaur boat - the baby bear ran on dinosaur boat. He said "Let me get on board so me doesn't float away."

Yeah, and on back of his neck hop on board on there. That's all, flute and him said "hoo, hoo, hoo". And he get in the picture

with Papa Wes and Nana at Abby's beach house. And that's the story. The end

So if you like that story there's more at whatarabelladid.blogspot.com

I

#18 of 38 Old 07-14-2012, 01:02 AM

I go through phases of blogging a lot (4-6 pages/day) and then periods where I only update once a week. I write about parenting and being an incest survivor and living with PTSD and being compulsively sexual and participating in minority sex communities. Err, I'm not real involved now that I have kids. That's part of what is weird. Blogging is a lot of how I maintain my tenuous grasp on sanity. I love writing. Because I'm not really all that crunchy (ignore the family cloth and Ziploc bags I've been reusing for five years and the tandem nursing and the home birth and... etc.) my blog is Soggy in Milk. :)

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#19 of 38 Old 01-16-2013, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Giving this thread a little bump. I've got a new blog that I have been working on: http://theconsciouscreatrix.tumblr.com/

I try to keep a tight leash on it and not let it get rambley. I will be posting creative essays and articles as well. Follow me if you are interested. Thanks for taking a peak.

V.

#20 of 38 Old 01-16-2013, 02:28 PM

I have a blog: Smokey the Magnificent. It's pretty rambly and unfocused, and I have about six regular readers, most of whom are blood relatives... but hey.

DawningSun likes this.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#21 of 38 Old 01-17-2013, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

I have a blog: Smokey the Magnificent. It's pretty rambly and unfocused, and I have about six regular readers, most of whom are blood relatives... but hey.

I've actually been reading you for a while. You are hilarious. You are one of my favorite people on the internet.

ollyoxenfree likes this.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#22 of 38 Old 01-17-2013, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post

I've actually been reading you for a while. You are hilarious. You are one of my favorite people on the internet.

Agree. Smokering, you've mentioned your freelance writing. I bet I'm not alone in thinking that your work would be awesome to read. 

#23 of 38 Old 01-17-2013, 12:18 PM

D'awww! Thanks guys! :) My freelance writing is pretty minimal (read: I'm lazy) and honestly, not that exciting - vaguely AP-ish articles for a pregnancy-to-five-years parenting magazine, mostly. Some of the older ones are here, although I wrote some of them, like, four years ago, so Don't Blame Me. :p

rightkindofme, I ended up reading about eight pages of your blog yesterday (when I was meant to be finishing up another article for said magazine, actually - thanks for that!). Damn, mama. That was quite a read. You're pretty awesome!

#24 of 38 Old 01-17-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:

D'awww! Thanks guys! :) My freelance writing is pretty minimal (read: I'm lazy) and honestly, not that exciting - vaguely AP-ish articles for a pregnancy-to-five-years parenting magazine, mostly. Some of the older ones are here, although I wrote some of them, like, four years ago, so Don't Blame Me. :p

rightkindofme, I ended up reading about eight pages of your blog yesterday (when I was meant to be finishing up another article for said magazine, actually - thanks for that!). Damn, mama. That was quite a read. You're pretty awesome!

8 pages? Oh dear god you must be a masochist. I'm lonely. Blogging is what I do to be less crazy.

#25 of 38 Old 01-17-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:

I just went and read a couple entries. I love it! Your posts about music and pictionary made me actually laugh out loud. DH also said the pictionary clue required "out of the box" thinking to solve. I knew what it was right away. I suspect this reflects that massive difference between his religious upbringing and mine (ie. none).

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#26 of 38 Old 01-18-2013, 12:25 AM

It was only about three days later that it occurred to me she could have just drawn a starfish. They're not that tricky...

#27 of 38 Old 01-18-2013, 01:19 AM

Code:
Quote:

I've read about that many pages of your blog in the last couple of days, Smokering. I really like it!

Sadly, it appears that blogging and pregnancy were in incompatible for me (as are pregnancy and most activities beyond eating and sleeping) so my poor blog is gathering cobwebs in a forgotten corner of the interweb. I'm hoping to revive it later this year.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#28 of 38 Old 02-13-2013, 01:36 AM

I started one way, way, way back when it was the cool thing to do here on MDC.  There was a flurry of us over on Xanga back in... uh, 2005 and such?  Yeah, it's been a while.  Most of the other gals have since moved on or deleted their blogs, but I keep up with a few from that group back then on FB.  :)  I still have my blog, but I don't do it to make money or impress anybody, it's just for me.  Almost like a goofy online scrapbook, including kids, house stuff, canning, gardening, homeschooling and whatever else I feel like.  And it's kind of neat to stroll back through memory lane since I started it back when I had just the one kid - the photos alone from back then just crack me up.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#29 of 38 Old 02-28-2013, 11:57 AM

Hello!  

My blog is about being a 40-something, homeschooling, semi-homesteading mom on the loose.  I post a lot of homeschooling/kid's activities from Sequoia National Forest.

http://kartwheels.org/

I also have an experimental world cookbook project at http://foodarella.wordpress.com/

I look forward to checking out some of the blogs mentioned above!

#30 of 38 Old 07-31-2013, 08:51 AM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page