Anybody know about military divorces and the waiting period to remarry...? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-21-2012, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been searching everywhere but... there is no direct answer. It is a very complicated issue. Anyways, I got married to a military man at 18, separated at 20.  

We got married at Texas, moved to Virginia for his next duty station...and that's where we separated. I am now in Missouri. He is now in New York but soon will be doing another PCS move.

We separated spring of 2009.  He waited for me to come back and I simply moved on. But he couldn't take no for an answer. Soooo... then he found out in Oct 2010 that I just had a baby. He still didn't want a divorce (but he was really angry at me greensad.gif) He went to Afghanistan for one year after that for hopes that I would change my mind. Came back September 2011. Met a girl in the middle of his tour. Even though he has a girlfriend now, he has been taking his sweet time to file the divorce. He finally has to PCS somewhere else and we have to get this divorce on the ball. (yeah...military doesn't know that we have been separated so he gets his lovely housing and bigger pay irked.gif

Anyways... I have been with DBF since October 2009 and has been wanting to propose to me for a long time... he has been waiting patiently. lol. He hates my STBX with a passion because he thinks he's using me and is very manipulative but that's another story. But, DBF has been telling me that we have to wait for 30 days to remarry. I am not sure where he got that info but I saw that in Texas, yes, you do have to wait for 30 days...but it's based on where you divorce, right? shrug.gif  But, where would it be based on? The state of New York where STBX is at OR the state of Missouri where I am at? OR is it based on where we married (Texas)?

Any help and/or suggestions is much appreciated! TIA!

SAHM, college student, AND expecting #2 EDD March 20 2014! belly.gif(25)  * DS (10/2010)jog.gif *

Loving life with DBF (24) flowersforyou.gif since 10/2009 heartbeat.gif

Rainbow.gif *intactlact.gif* selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif* goorganic.jpg * familybed1.gif *cd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 05:52 PM

I do not know the answer to your question.  That said...

Quote:

He finally has to PCS somewhere else and we have to get this divorce on the ball. (yeah...military doesn't know that we have been separated so he gets his lovely housing and bigger pay irked.gif

Whoa, your STBX better hope no one finds out he hasn't been sending you your portion of the housing/upkeep income.  He could get in real trouble for that!

Old 06-21-2012, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

nak...

My dad said I should phone up his commanding officer because of that. He thinks it is not fair even though that is going to make the divorce even longer. (my dad is air force retired) I am not sure what to do really... I don't want any more drama with him BUT I do feel like he is using  me too, ykwim? He already got demoted a couple years ago and I would feel bad if he got demoted again... 

SAHM, college student, AND expecting #2 EDD March 20 2014! belly.gif(25)  * DS (10/2010)jog.gif *

Rainbow.gif *intactlact.gif* selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif* goorganic.jpg * familybed1.gif *cd.gif

Old 06-21-2012, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C is for Cookie View Post

nak...

My dad said I should phone up his commanding officer because of that. He thinks it is not fair even though that is going to make the divorce even longer. (my dad is air force retired) I am not sure what to do really... I don't want any more drama with him BUT I do feel like he is using  me too, ykwim? He already got demoted a couple years ago and I would feel bad if he got demoted again... 

You should cover your own behind too and let his CO know about the housing allowance situation. I don't know what the rules are (military kid here, so my personal experiences are fairly vague) but you need to make sure you can't get into trouble in some way. You might check out this page on military divorce for some help getting started on the divorce process - you don't need to wait for him to file - you can file too. 

As to his demotions - you don't have any control over his actions as they pertain to his career. His personal conduct is reflected in how his employer treats him - so if he's gotten himself demoted, that's his own issue. If he's getting on the wrong side of the military that's his deal - you shouldn't feel bad about it. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Old 06-21-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:

nak...

I don't know what your legal responsibilities are, but I would definately mention to your STBX that what he is doing is illegal and he could get in trouble for it--- maybe that will hurry him into getting a divorce.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post

I don't know what your legal responsibilities are, but I would definately mention to your STBX that what he is doing is illegal and he could get in trouble for it--- maybe that will hurry him into getting a divorce.

Oh, I did mention it to him. He knows that it is illegal. I remember I got deathly sick last year and couldn't use medical insurance, Tricare, because he was afraid that the military would suspect something.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

You should cover your own behind too and let his CO know about the housing allowance situation. I don't know what the rules are (military kid here, so my personal experiences are fairly vague) but you need to make sure you can't get into trouble in some way. You might check out this page on military divorce for some help getting started on the divorce process - you don't need to wait for him to file - you can file too. 

As to his demotions - you don't have any control over his actions as they pertain to his career. His personal conduct is reflected in how his employer treats him - so if he's gotten himself demoted, that's his own issue. If he's getting on the wrong side of the military that's his deal - you shouldn't feel bad about it. 

Huh... stbx told me that only JAG could process the divorce. confused.gif

Old 06-22-2012, 05:54 AM

Quote:

You should continue investigating your options on your own - it sounds to me like it's possible he's giving you run around and trying to drag things out because he wants to keep the better housing and he's angry at you for not coming back.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Old 06-22-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:

Oh, I did mention it to him. He knows that it is illegal. I remember I got deathly sick last year and couldn't use medical insurance, Tricare, because he was afraid that the military would suspect something.  

?? You were deathly ill and decided to do him a favor by not using Tricare!? And he let you!?

Quote:

And you believe him without verifying the information? Run to a lawyer with experience in military divorces and file yourself. You are asking questions regarding the law and need a lawyer to answer them.

The military is likely to figure out this fraud on their own from the information you provide because you are going to be truthful in these legal documents, but your lawyer may advise you to contact his First Shirt (Air Force) or want to do so on your behalf. If you don't know who his FS is Family Support Services could help direct you. Considering that he's already been demoted (and by his current behavior it's apparent that he hasn't "seen the light") it's only a matter of time before his conduct would get him booted out anyway--even without this particular fraud coming to light.

Another issue I would ask your lawyer about is the status of baby you had while married to your ex; in some states any child born during a marriage is legally considered the child of the spouse, so you'll want to have that figured out before it crosses your ex's mind.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 06-22-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:

I don't think there is anything illegal about you living apart.  It is just him not supporting you with the benefits specifically *for* you that is illegal (my sister & BIL lived apart while he was in the military because she owned a home in their home state and he was temporarily sent to another state---- living apart is not an issue.  She had most of a pregnancy, in fact, with them "living" in different states).

Old 06-22-2012, 03:30 PM

First off, the divorce is a civil matter to be handled by the family court system in your jurisdiction.  JAG will not process your divorce, and, in most cases, cannot do anything more than advise you of your rights as they pertain to your status as a military dependent.  However, given that you are currently married to a service member, you have JAG benefits and can avail yourself of their services.  Contact the nearest post/base to you and make an appointment to see them.  I would check with JAG first before you contact a civilian attorney to file for divorce.  Your best bet is to file for divorce in the community where you currently live so that the state of your residence maintains jurisdiction over your case.  Best of luck to you!

Tabitha ~ devoted wife to my best friend Stephen ribbonyellow.gif and gentle Christian mom to six DSs: notes.gif E - 2/09/00REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifA - 3/05/03superhero.gifA- 6/05/06 guitar.gif H- 2/07/08 jog.gif J - 11/14/10 bouncy.gif T - 8/23/12 + stork-suprise.gif due 9/20/14!  brokenheart.gif DD Janae 10/19/09 angel2.gif
Old 06-22-2012, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not sure why you have been waiting for him to file for divorce. But as others have said, it just takes one to file. If he didn't / doesn't want the divorce, I can understand why he didn't file. But yeah, you need to file in the state you live if you want a divorce. Doesn't matter where you have lived before, though states have rules over how long you have lived in the state before you can file if you have moved recently.
Cant see how the military can demote him for not filing for a divorce he doesn't want.
Also agree that children born in marriage are legally assumed to the the husband and wife.
Have you had any issues with insurance for your baby? Seeing you have trip are did they put the baby on tricare?

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
Old 06-23-2012, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Jag doesn't normally do divorces.  File and move on.  Send it to his CO if you have to.  You can call them if you have to.  Also you won't get in trouble.  In fact he will get in trouble for anything you do. 

Old 06-23-2012, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, I see what he did. He wants an uncontested divorce... from what I read (now that I did further research), JAG only draws up the papers for uncontested divorces but that's it. So, you guys are right. They don't process divorces.  

For DS, he is still legally assumed as STBX's. I got the affidavits for that and STBX got it signed and everything. I just need my affidavit and DBF's affidavit signed and notarized. We are actually getting that done this week. 

DS's insurance is from the state because they go off of my income; I am a full time college student and don't work so I have no income. Social workers have helped me with that issue.

I have contacted a lawyer about the divorce and she was going to charge me $2200 for a contested divorce. Filing for me has been an issue because we simply don't have the money. I am broke as can be and we are still living in DBF's dad's house.  I may have no choice but to go uncontested.

I am going to contact his CO but I am just sort of nervous about that. Nervous that STBX will cause more drama, harass me and DBF with FB messages (only way we contact), or he could turn what I said around and get me into trouble... Either that or the CO could care less...

Old 06-23-2012, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Is uncontested a bad thing?  Do you want something from him or need something?  Honestly I would let it go and if he wants to raise a stink just let him know you know how much trouble he can get in for taking money he shouldn't be taking for a family he is not caring for. 

Old 06-23-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:

I am going to contact his CO but I am just sort of nervous about that. Nervous that STBX will cause more drama, harass me and DBF with FB messages (only way we contact), or he could turn what I said around and get me into trouble... Either that or the CO could care less...

Um, unfriend him on Facebook and make your page private and unsearchable. Then he has no way to contact you, except through lawyers as it pertains to your divorce proceedings. You might try calling a few lawyers for quotes - different lawyers/firms charge different rates so it makes sense to shop around if you're on a budget. 

Old 06-25-2012, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

DBF and I had a long conversation about this a  couple days ago and we are going to contact another lawyer who deals with family law.  She knows dbf personally but it is really hard to get in contact with her. We just have to keep trying.

There are some personal belongings that I would love to have back..furniture, books, and a very special gift from my dad... but I am pretty sure it is all gone now. I don't see him keeping those things; plus, his girlfriend is living with him. I'm sure it wouldn't go over too well if she saw my stuff all around the house. I have asked him about the stuff a year ago and he has been such a procrastinator that I just gave up.

Anyways, I am definitely not friends with him on facebook (haven't been since the summer of 2010 when I unfortunately started "talking" to him again when I had perinatal depression. Bad move because it made us more depressed...greensad.gif) Only his sister, his uncle, his mom, his niece, and his distant cousin keep in contact with me but they never mention about the divorce. His family promised me that they will always remain family to me. I am grateful to have met them. redface.gif

Old 06-25-2012, 03:50 PM

I don't understand why you are going for a contested divorce. You will end up paying more money for basically the same outcome. I'd take the forms that JAG prepared, look them over and file. That will be the cheapest and quickest way to get divorced. What issues are contested? It doesn't sound like you have any joint property.

As far as collecting BAH while you are separated, it isn't illegal at all. You can call his commander, but he can argue that all he has to do is provide a home for you, if you choose to sleep somewhere else every night...well he doesn't have to pay for an additional home.

The timeframe that you have to wait before remarriage isn't up to the military, it depends on the law of the state you wish to get married in.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:11 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I would act carefully in this matter. If your H is committing fraud then you are a party to the fraud.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

So, we decided on uncontested.  I went to the county courthouse, got the acknowledgment of paternity affidavits notarized and sent on Thursday.  STBX says he needs a court order saying that he is not the bio father in order to process the divorce.  What do I do now? I guess my better question is, what is a court order? DBF explained it to me and I think he got things really confused...confused.gif

He said that whenever family services receive the papers, they will let us know and they will give us a court order date. Is this right?

Old 07-06-2012, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

You do not need a court order as long as DBF acknowledges paternity of the child, especially since the paternity is uncontested.   I think that your STBX is stalling for some reason.  Regarding the Tricare, you had the right to use it, you are legally his wife, even if you are not living together.  I have a cousin who was in the Navy and his wife and kids were living in the US wile he was stationed in Japan.  They stayed that way for 4 years, but she could keep benefits since they were still legally married.  He could get in trouble for living in married housing with someone other than his wife.

You should file for uncontested divorce in the state you live in.  the military JAG offices will usually help you file the papers free of charge, so you would only be responsible for the court's filing fees.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
Old 07-07-2012, 05:40 PM

What state is his filing in?

Some states require parenting counseling if you have a child in order to proceed with a divorce. He may be trying to waive that requirement, since the child isn't a product of the marriage.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:00 PM

My ex has been claiming my daughter for almost 8 years now to get the increased money.  His rights are terminated, but he is still getting money for her.  He has not paid a dime or seen her since she was nearing 3. She'll be 11 this fall. 

I reported and reported and reported and it never went anywhere.  

My guess, he's keeping the marriage so he gets more money.  

Old 03-15-2013, 12:56 PM

Hey Cookie,

I think youll see that family law lawyers, for the most part can get very expensive. The ones I know of usually charge 4 grand a case if its contested and they need to represent you. Family lawyers dont work on a contingency fee like personal injury lawyers do. You also have the option of representing yourself but youd need to file all paperwork as if you were an attorney. They wont feel bad for you for not knowing.

The options I think you have are:

• Speak to a local law school in your area or contact the local bar to find out about probono services. Most attorneys, firms, and law schools do offer a certain amount of free legal representation as charity work. The law school may be your best bet- and the students are usually just about to graduate and monitored by faculty anyway
  • If you do represent yourself- i'd hold on to the fact that what your ex is doing is illegal. The courts are NOT kind to those who lie or try and trick the system. Once your goodwill is out of the courts you're pretty much done and lost and they won't take his word for much

Hope all that rambling was kind of helpful

Here's the probo page of the MO Bar http://www.mobar.org/probono.htm

I'll let you know that in most divorce cases, your settlement will be more than youll spend on an attorney. Also, I think it could very well benefit you depending on how long you were married. Usually you can be entitled to things child support, alimony, a portion of his retirement benefits etc but that all depends on state law and how long you were married

hug2.gif    goodvibes.gifstillheart.gif  

Old 07-18-2013, 05:32 PM

Here is some info about military divorce that might be of help: http://www.weinbergerlawgroup.com/blog/newjersey-law-divorce-separation/five-common-questions-about-military-divorce/ About the pay...Just think of this way, the longer you are married, the bigger the chunk of his retirement you can lay claim to. Touche!

Old 07-18-2013, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Lol. Thanks for the replies as of recent. But, XH and I have been officially divorced since April.

User Tag List