PSA on user name change - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-20-2012, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey folks….

If you ever want to change your user name for one reason or another - it takes place immediately and all your old posts now have your new name.  This is not so good if you are changing your name for privacy reasons.  

It also has your old avatar and siggy.

I thought it would be a brand new account - doh rolleyes.gif

My advise:  go offline for a few days/weeks, change your name and remember to change your siggy and avatar. 

I guess I will have to do it again in a few week.  Learn from me and save yourself a few bucks.

formerly kathymuggle  

#2 of 8 Old 07-20-2012, 10:14 AM

It seems like you would have noticed that with your first post, and changed it immediately.
Regardless, the thing about changing your sn is that when your old posts have been quoted, your name change doesnt appear in the quote. For example, I figured out this was you because of a thread I was reading and then someone quoted you as Kathymuggle, but kathymuggle had not posted anything. I've thought about doing it numerous times, and just didnt for that very reason.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#3 of 8 Old 07-20-2012, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

It seems like you would have noticed that with your first post, and changed it immediately.
I suppose I should have changed my siggy and avatar right away, but I think anyone in any thread I was on is going to figure out who I am pretty quickly.  Clearly, I am not going to be sticking to this username.
Really, the point of this thread is just a light hearted reminder to posters to go offline for a little bit, and then change your username, siggy and avatar at the same time.  I doubt everyone knows this - I didn't.

Regardless, the thing about changing your sn is that when your old posts have been quoted, your name change doesnt appear in the quote. For example, I figured out this was you because of a thread I was reading and then someone quoted you as Kathymuggle, but kathymuggle had not posted anything. I've thought about doing it numerous times, and just didnt for that very reason.
#4 of 8 Old 07-22-2012, 10:38 AM

interesting.. so why not just create a new account and stop using the old one?
swede likes this.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#5 of 8 Old 07-22-2012, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post

This is what you have to do if you truly want to leave your previous name behind. 

swede and kathymuggle like this.
#6 of 8 Old 07-26-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:

I would guess because you would lose all of your post counts and the access you have to certain groups?

Working from home Mommy. You can too. Ask me how!joy.gif

me loveeyes.gif & she surf.gifpartners.gif  TTC one of these makebabe.gif Proud Mommy to two of these energy.gif

#7 of 8 Old 07-27-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:

that's what i ended up doing. i didn't like "starting all over" again, but i'm happy i did now.

Mama to DS REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(March 2010) and DD  baby.gif  (June 2012)

#8 of 8 Old 07-27-2012, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiemombian View Post

I would guess because you would lose all of your post counts and the access you have to certain groups?

I actually did have my account closed and then decided to restart (yeah, yeah - but it is what I felt I needed to do at the time).  I kept my old user name.

It is kind of odd being treated like a new user - random posts seem to be held for moderation  (2 have been held for over 24 hours now and neither have anything questionable in them).  I think there might be a limit - like if I hit 5 posts or something per day, posts are held.

Whenever I post at the moment it is a bit of a gamble - will it go through?  I don't mind though.  I can spend too much time online, and this "threads being held for moderation" is helping to curb me of my MDC addiction.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page