First World Problems. - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 123 Old 12-28-2012, 04:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Related to the post above: I feel we got too much gifts.  I almost feel a bit annoyed that I received 5 boxes of chocolate for Christmas (my brother alone gave me 3 boxes), and DH received 200 assorted bags of tea.  The kids got loads of candies, too.  It's kinda weird.  Last year we didn't get any chocolate but lots of clothes.  This year no clothes but piles of candies for everyone.  I'm slightly worried as we're gonna lose dental insurance soon.  All these candies can't be good.

I tell people we don't need anything but then it's Christmas they have to give us stuff.  Wish we can break this cycle somehow.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#62 of 123 Old 12-28-2012, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)

I hear you, Poddi.

I just counted, we have 4 largish boxes of assorted junk foods in the kitchen and probably 2-3 smaller items (like boxes of candy canes or bags of gummies).

I have thrown out one or two things.

I am a little overweight to begin with…I do not need all the crap food that comes at christmas!

Next year, I really think I am going to tell everybody "no food gifts, please."

I could also re-gift things or put them in the food bank before they are opened.  I would have to act fast, though, given my family.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#63 of 123 Old 12-28-2012, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have too much candy, and too much leftover baking. (I give baking to a bunch of neighbours, and to my ex SIL and BIL, and to ds1's girlfriend's parents - did a total of 13 baskets this year.) We're probably going to give some to my sister and her family. I love the stuff, but I'm eating way too much sugar and it's making me feel icky. Nobody gave us all that, though - we bought or made all of it, except for one plate of baking (from my ex SIL) and a box of biscuits (from ds1's girlfriend's parents).

I do like to have a stock of food in the house, but I don't think I'd particularly like a huge stock of food. I think I'd just start worrying about expirty dates, things going bad, etc.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#64 of 123 Old 12-28-2012, 11:44 AM

I am beyond stressed trying to pack for myself and the kids and board the dog, arrange for cat sitting and generally get ready for a trip to FL tomorrow.  (I'm always excited once we get in the car to go, it's the organization and packing that make me slightly panicky.)

(PS, in a related First World Problem, I gained a ton of weight this year, so nothing fits.  I have no ever-loving CLUE what to pack for myself.  )

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#65 of 123 Old 12-28-2012, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

This is a great thread. 

My first world problem:  I'm in therapy (a first world luxury right there) because I feel miserable about the fact that I don't have a job already.  Kids are 13 and 17 years old.  We declared bankruptcy and we're walking away from a perfectly good house, because I haven't been been contributing to our income.  Dh makes plenty of money but it doesn't cover the adjustable rate mortgage with a balloon payment coming up in 1 year.  He's stressed out, we need me to get a job, but I'm too afraid to do so.

When I was lamenting to the therapist that I just don't get why I do this to myself, she pointed out that it's because we're not in dire straits.  I don't absolutely have to do so. blush.gif Light bulb moment.

More thoughts later, I need to drive my dd to ballet...

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#66 of 123 Old 12-29-2012, 04:45 PM

I recently watched Half the Sky and No Woman, No Cry. It really put my "problems" into perspective. A few of my First World issues: I want another bed for the kids so that 7yo ds isn't sharing a bed with someone, but we don't have anywhere to put it because we're renting a three bedroom. I would like a dresser, because my "sock drawer" is a cardboard box. But those aren't things that we need. Our actual needs are met.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#67 of 123 Old 12-29-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

I recently watched Half the Sky and No Woman, No Cry. It really put my "problems" into perspective. A few of my First World issues: I want another bed for the kids so that 7yo ds isn't sharing a bed with someone, but we don't have anywhere to put it because we're renting a three bedroom. I would like a dresser, because my "sock drawer" is a cardboard box. But those aren't things that we need. Our actual needs are met.

Yes, this was my other thought.  It's been an accumulation of things.  Years ago, someone here posted a link to a neat video from the Girl Effect.  That really planted the seed. There was an episode of ..Frontline? about the long term effects of birth injury in Africa that was eye-opening. This last fall my husband's nonprofit raised money for Courage Worldwide; they build safe houses for victims of sex trafficking. I was shocked to learn that northern California is a high sex trafficking zone. Then there was Malala Yousafzai, the 15 year old girl who was shot in the head for daring to persist in going to school.  Jeez Louise!  Perspective is right!  My kids have access to free public school.  My dh and I don't have to worry about marrying our daughter off.  My kids are relatively safe and live abundant lives. We 'need' for nothing.  My daughter complains when I won't buy the $9 bottle of facial wash that she 'needs'.  (And I always cave and buy it at some point.) 

Sorry, I don't mean to be a downer. This is mostly a light-hearted thread!  But this all really resonates right now.

#68 of 123 Old 12-30-2012, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

Sorry, I don't mean to be a downer. This is mostly a light-hearted thread!  But this all really resonates right now.

Was surprised to see this thread revived!  Don't worry about being a downer.  Honestly this past year has served to put my small problems in the backseat.  It's funny how one thinks that one's own problems are so overwhelming and then bang, something else in the world comes along that really forces you to refocus.  There have been a lot of tears shed this year, but for other people.  The things that broke my heart the most actually happened in our very First World.  The two Sandys will forever be etched in my heart and mind.  Isn't that just ridiculous?  The two Sandys??  

My heart grieves for all the losses.  

Today, DH and DD and I went to see "The Grinch" on B-way and as I was sitting there taking in all the beautiful acting and sets, but it was definitely stained by the past year's events.  Hoping that 2013 will see some beauty.  

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#69 of 123 Old 12-31-2012, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:

No, I know what you mean. The other day I was watching an episode of Chopped (a cooking competition), and watching people prepare and judge haute cuisine as a form of entertainment just about blew my mind.

Don't get me wrong, I've watched those shows a million times before with nary a thought except how under-seasoned the quinoa was going taste against the sriracha-glazed duck, but for some reason this time it struck me like a scene from the Capitol in the Hunger Games -- obscene excess, with copious amounts of money and food gleefully wasted for a mildly entertaining, temporary diversion for the rich. Just thinking about how it would look to someone who couldn't feed her children made me feel ashamed. 

Blugh. 

CatsCradle likes this.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#70 of 123 Old 01-01-2013, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

This is going to sound really weird.

For a really long time I have wanted to travel with my children (before I had them, even) in third world nations working on farms. So we have a trip scheduled we are figuring out how to fund and manage and everything. I have seven years to plan. No problem.

I grew up experiencing a kind of poverty and abuse that people don't usually change--usually it just gets sent down another generation. My kids are upper middle class. That is honestly really hard for me. I don't want to mess them up just so I can have buddies but I feel like I need for them to have a visceral understanding of the depth and breadth of life experiences available. I want them to understand what it means that they are white upper middle class American girls. But I don't want to expose them to violence. Farm work sounds like a fabulous compromise.

So I feel like I have spent a lot of time and energy over the last few years trying to make my life one I won't feel embarrassed to explain to people in third world countries. I make some weird choices. I won't get into them.

It's weird thinking about what it means that I have first world problems. I have the kind of issues that transcend my country affiliation (rape and torture are worldwide) but I still have an ingrained set of privileges. It feels really heavy to think about. 

I need to see more than I have seen. I still don't understand my place. I still don't understand my worth. It's all weird.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#71 of 123 Old 01-02-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:

This is going to sound really weird.

For a really long time I have wanted to travel with my children (before I had them, even) in third world nations working on farms. So we have a trip scheduled we are figuring out how to fund and manage and everything. I have seven years to plan. No problem.

I don't think it's weird at all. I've had the same idea for my kids, right down to working on farms.  Similar but different motivation. 

It's kind of corny but I was reading Laura Ingall's Farmer Boy to my dd when she was maybe 7 years old, and I was so impressed with how responsible and independent Almonzo was by the end of the book.  Definitely what I was struggling to teach her.  Really, I wanted all of us to spend time on a farm, because dh and I both are so ...unhandy around the house, to say the least. I was getting panicked about learning how to run a home.  I wanted some knowledgeable older couple to teach us how to use power tools and fix simple things, or even complicated things, and how to care for animals, and give us advice on what to do when the little one was having a temper tantrum, how to get up early and appreciate it, not hate it, and basically how to work hard physically and live a useful life.  I went so far as to research if farms like this exist, where you can pay to live there for a year or something.  Kind of like that Billy Crystal movie. City Slickers.  I love that movie.

We live a blessed, generous life in a lily-white part of town.  Dd has no idea about life elsewhere, for people who are different from her.  I've had a fantasy that I'd sign the two of us up to work regularly at the women's and children's homeless shelter.  I hope she'd get to see and maybe get to know teen girls her same age who haven't had even a basic home to live in, with regular food and schooling and even basic safety.  Learn to sympathize with them and even appreciate what she has. 

My sister talked about signing her teen daughter up for what was basically a 'summer abroad' experience in a poor part of town.  Go live for 3 months with a family struggling in a non-fabulous part of San Francisco.  I didn't know such programs exist, but I think it was available through their expensive, exclusive Catholic high school.  Where I imagine there are a lot of kids who don't have a clue about how less fortunate kids live, and the church tries to remedy that.  I don't know if she ever did sign her up. 

Anyway, I say right on, do it! Follow through on your idea and do it!

#72 of 123 Old 01-02-2013, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It's kind of corny but I was reading Laura Ingall's Farmer Boy to my dd when she was maybe 7 years old, and I was so impressed with how responsible and independent Almonzo was by the end of the book.  Definitely what I was struggling to teach her.  Really, I wanted all of us to spend time on a farm, because dh and I both are so ...unhandy around the house, to say the least. I was getting panicked about learning how to run a home.  I wanted some knowledgeable older couple to teach us how to use power tools and fix simple things, or even complicated things, and how to care for animals, and give us advice on what to do when the little one was having a temper tantrum, how to get up early and appreciate it, not hate it, and basically how to work hard physically and live a useful life.  I went so far as to research if farms like this exist, where you can pay to live there for a year or something.  Kind of like that Billy Crystal movie. City Slickers.  I love that movie.

journeymom, totally love your posts and you always offer great concepts and ideas.

That being said, let's take a look at Laura Ingall's times.  They had responsibility on the farm, but I don't think the pressures that they experienced in raising the crops and feeding the pigs ever rose to the level of the responsibility of kids now.  My DD is pretty handy because DH and I are both handy people.  That aside, DD is learning stuff at six years old that I didn't learn until 10, and wasn't even expected to understand or develop until I was 12!  Times have changed.  The focus, I feel, is on the mind and not on the survival skills that were important before electrify and supermarkets and college admissions.  I don't think our modern times are "bad."  I just think they are different.  In the last 100 years we have been expected to adjust our skills and thinking on an astronomical level.  Things moved so slowly pre 1900.  It's been a shock for me.  I've seen a lot of stuff in my life.  I'm still amazed at how things have changed in just the last 20 years.  I want to embrace it and say that I love it.  I try, knowing that life could be so much simpler without it.  However, without it, my life (as a modern and WOHM mom - just to site an isolated example) would be so much harder without it.

My dream in life has always to have been a cast-away on desert island.  But, my bad eyesight prevents me from really fantasizing about the dream.  What if I lost my contacts or glasses.   Couldn't see worth a shite.  I guess people survive.  I'd be bitter, though.  love.gif

#73 of 123 Old 01-02-2013, 04:52 PM

Yeah, notice I never did anything to make this fantasy family farm experience come true!  One obstacle is my dear husband, for whom that life style is pretty much repellant. He has no interest in learning how to repair or build things, unless you mean repair or build or design a 'system' that involves a cpu and a keyboard.  Very much mind oriented, not so much hands-on oriented!  At the time I hadn't figured this out about him, or was hoping I could change him.  I hadn't accepted it.

He doesn't like camping, either.  Camping might be a first world construct.  Purposefully leaving your home and nice bed so you can go walk around outside and sleep in the dirt? For fun?  It's a good point. For some people daily life isn't much better than this, so if you don't have to sleep in a bag on the ground, why in the world would you?   (I like camping, so you don't have to argue this one with me.)

CatsCradle and BeckyBird like this.

#74 of 123 Old 01-02-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

No, I know what you mean. The other day I was watching an episode of Chopped (a cooking competition), and watching people prepare and judge haute cuisine as a form of entertainment just about blew my mind.

Don't get me wrong, I've watched those shows a million times before with nary a thought except how under-seasoned the quinoa was going taste against the sriracha-glazed duck, but for some reason this time it struck me like a scene from the Capitol in the Hunger Games -- obscene excess, with copious amounts of money and food gleefully wasted for a mildly entertaining, temporary diversion for the rich. Just thinking about how it would look to someone who couldn't feed her children made me feel ashamed. 

Blugh. 

I have never thought of that show in that light.  Hmm, thanks for giving me something to think about.

#75 of 123 Old 01-03-2013, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

ugh!!! cooking shows (not the reality ones) but shows where they teach you how to cook. gosh i was involved with a show once and i could not believe my eyes how much food actually was thrown away. i'm not sure if this is a first world problem. i am sure they have the same issue with wasting food in other countries cooking shows too, but it was horrifying here. two big crates of apples chopped and filmed and thrown in the garbage to show how to cook applie pie. 

i have a friend from south america who was dirt poor in his country and came over with the missionaries. he just cant understand why we would spend hundreds of dollars to go drive across 3 states to sleep on the ground in a bag and use a hole in the ground for toilet. he just does not get camping. or this desire to go 'see' nature. he grew up in a farm near a forest. he just doesnt get roughing it out.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#76 of 123 Old 01-03-2013, 08:22 AM

My first world problem today involves my elderly cat that we're going to have to probably put to sleep later today.  I was a sobbing (pregnant, hormonal) mess yesterday about it, even though I kept telling myself that this is definitely a first world problem and she lived a long, glorious, pampered life (except for the couple years before we got her, hopefully we made up for it for her).

I agree with the food waste issue, it really weighs heavy on me.  That and the copious amounts of money we spend on alcohol around here (we rock at drinking in Wisconsin!).  I enjoy a good drink like anyone else, but it's a little out of hand around here.  People that live outside the bar down the street barely have enough to eat, you know?

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#77 of 123 Old 01-03-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISDiva View Post

My first world problem today involves my elderly cat that we're going to have to probably put to sleep later today.  I was a sobbing (pregnant, hormonal) mess yesterday about it, even though I kept telling myself that this is definitely a first world problem and she lived a long, glorious, pampered life (except for the couple years before we got her, hopefully we made up for it for

I'm so sorry for your loss, and I'm glad she lived a long glorious life with a loving family. ((Hugs))
dbsam and kathymuggle like this.

#78 of 123 Old 01-03-2013, 10:25 AM

Aw, thanks Limabean.  :)

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#79 of 123 Old 01-03-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISDiva View Post

My first world problem today involves my elderly cat that we're going to have to probably put to sleep later today.  I was a sobbing (pregnant, hormonal) mess yesterday about it, even though I kept telling myself that this is definitely a first world problem and she lived a long, glorious, pampered life (except for the couple years before we got her, hopefully we made up for it for her).

We're facing this with our 15 year old dog.  Dh and I finally talked about it last night and just that was enough to get me teary-eyed.  I warned dh I'm going to be a wet mess if it comes to euthanizing the old guy. 

We're going together tomorrow to have an 'end of life' discussion with the vet. Definitely a first world thing.  And a generational thing as well.  I've been talking with my dad about the dog getting more and more fragile and Dad barely stops himself from rolling his eyes.  There's no agonizing about whether we should be doing more for him, just take the dog to the vet and put him down already.

#80 of 123 Old 01-04-2013, 12:42 AM

Well I grew up in a poor country and know how to do all sorts of stuff,  DH grew up on a farm (with frugal parents) and is the first-born son.  We're now both lazy and non-handy. :) Experiences are good, at least they give you knowledge if you need it, but they don't really change who you are inside.  We're just not farm type, even though I know how to manage chicken and he used to help raise pigs.  We wouldn't mind never taking care of an animal again.

journeymom likes this.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#81 of 123 Old 01-04-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poddi View Post

Well I grew up in a poor country and know how to do all sorts of stuff,  DH grew up on a farm (with frugal parents) and is the first-born son.  We're now both lazy and non-handy. :) Experiences are good, at least they give you knowledge if you need it, but they don't really change who you are inside.  We're just not farm type, even though I know how to manage chicken and he used to help raise pigs.  We wouldn't mind never taking care of an animal again.

Lol! This is reassuring!  My mom was very crafty and talented and always had some sort of project going on- sewing, knitting, crocheting, gardening, making yogurt, drying and canning foods, wallpapering and painting, re-finishing furniture, re tiling the bathrooms, reupholstering the furniture  (on top of the laundry, bills, shopping and cooking).  She was an amazing woman!! It was seriously only a few years ago that I realized that it's really quite alright that I haven't upholstered anything yet.  That it's ok I have no interest in upholstering or refinishing furniture at all. It's not some sort of necessary step to being a real adult.  That most people, even the handy ones, don't reupholster and refinish their furniture themselves. It's just something my mom liked doing. 

Keeping this on topic, I'm so looking forward to moving to a smaller home.  The rest of the world could fit a whole other family in the square footage of this house. We don't need this much, it's just square footage to clean and maintain.

#82 of 123 Old 01-04-2013, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Lol! This is reassuring!  My mom was very crafty and talented and always had some sort of project going on- sewing, knitting, crocheting, gardening, making yogurt, drying and canning foods, wallpapering and painting, re-finishing furniture, re tiling the bathrooms, reupholstering the furniture  (on top of the laundry, bills, shopping and cooking).  She was an amazing woman!! It was seriously only a few years ago that I realized that it's really quite alright that I haven't upholstered anything yet.  That it's ok I have no interest in upholstering or refinishing furniture at all. It's not some sort of necessary step to being a real adult.  That most people, even the handy ones, don't reupholster and refinish their furniture themselves. It's just something my mom liked doing. 

Keeping this on topic, I'm so looking forward to moving to a smaller home.  The rest of the world could fit a whole other family in the square footage of this house. We don't need this much, it's just square footage to clean and maintain.

Can we trade places?  As much as I tout about small-space living (one-bedroom apartment), it really isn't cutting it for us right now.  Would love an extra room!

#83 of 123 Old 01-04-2013, 02:13 PM

Lately I have been more and more annoyed by all the nice hand-me-downs my girls get from my nieces.  I feel like there are too many clothes because my SIL buys in outfits (and a lot of them!) instead of pieces that can mix and match and be layered.  I want to get rid of most of the hand-me-downs because they aren't what I would choose and start from scratch. violin.gif

I can't stop eating these chips and salsa in front of me but i should so I have plenty of room for going out to sushi tonight. 

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#84 of 123 Old 01-05-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poddi View Post

Well I grew up in a poor country and know how to do all sorts of stuff,  DH grew up on a farm (with frugal parents) and is the first-born son.  We're now both lazy and non-handy. smile.gif Experiences are good, at least they give you knowledge if you need it, but they don't really change who you are inside.  We're just not farm type, even though I know how to manage chicken and he used to help raise pigs.  We wouldn't mind never taking care of an animal again.

My mom is the same way! She's also a busy body and always moving whereas I love to curl up with a good book for the rest of the afternoon. She also had my brother and me at 21 and 22 and took us everywhere. I keep reminding myself that there's a big difference between 22 and 28, I was very busy and barely needed sleep at 22 so me not being as busy and feel the energy to take DD all over everywhere is okay.

I also am looking forward to downsizing, less space to clean and we just don't need the room.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#85 of 123 Old 01-14-2013, 10:18 PM
AAK

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Another first world problem cropped up today.  My children were playing on the Wii and apparently did not use the wristband.  Well, the TV is now broken.  So, do we need the TV.  No, we don't even pay for cable.  But, dang, we do like to play the Wii during the winter months.  Rarely gets used when the weather is warm.  Now we are trying to decide if we should (or rather, will) replace it.  

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#86 of 123 Old 12-15-2013, 05:03 PM

Wow, has it really been almost a year since the last post? Time flies!

Anyway, I thought of this thread the other night because I scored amazing second-row theater seats, and I got a kink in my neck from having to look up at the actors that were like 15 feet away from me -- heh.

#87 of 123 Old 12-17-2013, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Good one, limabean!

I was complaining yesterday that I had to take three trips out in my car before 9am some days - to exercise class, then to deliver 2 kids to 2 schools.

Well...

a) I have a car. A nice car! It's almost new (2012), and we just got it. In contrast to the old one - the heater works really well, the doors don't freeze, the windshield isn't chipped, the door handle isn't broken, it doesn't need new tires, shocks, etc.

b) My kids' schools are great, and they are healthy and doing well, and I have the resources to drive them to school instead of walking a mile in the snow and windchill, even though we could because

c) we have warm coats.

d) I am fortunate enough to have a fitness club membership to a wonderful place owned by a local mom.

Feeling much more grateful!

journeymom likes this.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#88 of 123 Old 12-17-2013, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

I've been irritated about tending the fire in the wood stove.  It's like a toddler:  make sure I'm aware of its cues, is it too hot, too cold, does it need fuel, am I leaving and need to damp it down so it's all right while I'm gone?  Well, no, I never had a toddler who could just be damped down and left, but the vigilance required has really been getting on my nerves.  So I am complaining about:

Being indoors, for one thing!

A wood stove that's safe, modern, and efficient.

It's in a gorgeous tiled hearth / wood box set-up that DH built himself and is a centerpiece of our home (the hearth, not DH, though he's a nice feature too!).

A couch is right in front of it, and right nearby is a big pile of my books.

I have the flexibility during my day to do just the kind of tending needed.

In short, my "First World Problem" is fire.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#89 of 123 Old 12-17-2013, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMadly View Post

I've been irritated about tending the fire in the wood stove.  It's like a toddler:  make sure I'm aware of its cues, is it too hot, too cold, does it need fuel, am I leaving and need to damp it down so it's all right while I'm gone?  Well, no, I never had a toddler who could just be damped down and left, but the vigilance required has really been getting on my nerves.  So I am complaining about:

Being indoors, for one thing!

A wood stove that's safe, modern, and efficient.

It's in a gorgeous tiled hearth / wood box set-up that DH built himself and is a centerpiece of our home (the hearth, not DH, though he's a nice feature too!).

A couch is right in front of it, and right nearby is a big pile of my books.

I have the flexibility during my day to do just the kind of tending needed.

In short, my "First World Problem" is fire.

Hehe, that made me giggle. 

Mine right now is being annoyed at the sound of my husband's video game. So my complaint is that we have the money to afford such things, have the time to use them, and my husband has something that he enjoys doing. All while I'm sitting on my butt on a comfy couch mindlessly internetting. ;-) Totally a FWP. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#90 of 123 Old 12-22-2013, 07:09 PM

My recent FWP is that our Xmas tree dried out super fast. We got it on Dec 1st and despite plenty of water, all the needles were faded and dry a week later. But, yeah, we had $60 to spend on a dead tree to decorate our living room for a month. And I suspect it dried out so quickly because our living is so warm. Good reality check- time to stop complaining about the damn tree and enjoy the season!

Ironically, in two weeks we leave for a month long trip the "third world" - DH's home country. It always kicks my FWP in the ass to see true poverty- children begging in the streets, people living in cardboard shacks, painfully thin dogs scrounging for scraps in the trash. I try to carry those images with me so that I don't get too caught up in the melodramas of my insanely privileged, comfortable life. But I also realize that the price of our airplane tickets down there could feed a family for at least a year. Head spins, heart aches....

~may all beings be free from suffering~

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page