First World Problems. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 123 Old 08-08-2012, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What's your definition of such and do you have any?

The more I'm on-line and the more I hear myself complaining and whining, the more I realize that my problems are only those experienced in the First World.  (disclaimer:  I know that people out here have real issues with poverty, abuse and heartache and other struggles not curable by sucking it up, etc...not undermining that).  

Just think I'm spoiled in a lot of respects.  Or in most respects.

journeymom likes this.

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#2 of 123 Old 08-08-2012, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

I have a good petty, no-big-deal just spoiled annoyance first world problem example:

The other day my phone charger was in the car while dh went to the store, my phone was dead, so when I nursed the baby to sleep in the dark, boring bedroom.. I had nothing to do :P And at the time, I WAS snickering to myself how this was a classic first world problem. I lived :)

USAmma, blsilva and kathymuggle like this.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#3 of 123 Old 08-08-2012, 08:36 PM

Cool thread. Sometimes I think, "There's nothing to eat in here." When there is plenty. I'm just not in the mood for whatever I have. Right now I'm craving General Foods International french vanilla coffee and I have none! hopmad.gif
blsilva likes this.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#4 of 123 Old 08-08-2012, 09:03 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Clutter!  Having way too much stuff!  Is definitely a first-world problem.  But it still gets on my nerves. 

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#5 of 123 Old 08-08-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post

Clutter!  Having way too much stuff!  Is definitely a first-world problem.  But it still gets on my nerves. 

it is a problem in need of a real solution. a solution involving having less, being satisfied with less of course. AND finding a way to share what we already have with those in need. everywhere.

#6 of 123 Old 08-08-2012, 10:17 PM

I grew up calling these "high class problems".  It does help to remember that some of my problems are only problems because I've managed to claw my way into some semblance of "the American dream". 

My favorite part is the reaction I get from the Mr.;  "Honey, I need more wardrobe space.  This walk-in closet and two dressers aren't cutting it anymore." I said at our last apartment before we purchased our home.  "Mmmmhm." he said, but, uh, his face said "That's a real high class problem you've got there." and it made me feel like the luckiest human ever.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#7 of 123 Old 08-08-2012, 10:33 PM

over-eating, obviously...

#8 of 123 Old 08-08-2012, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

a 5 year old is sad because she does not have her own bedroom.

loneliness - too many single people. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#9 of 123 Old 08-09-2012, 02:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I don't have time to sew up my huge fabric stash, and there are always so many new pretty fabrics coming out!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#10 of 123 Old 08-09-2012, 08:02 AM

My hobby room is too cluttered and I can't find anything.

I don't have the ingredients to make dessert.

My e-reader is out of date even though its only a year old.  Heck it was out of date 6 weeks after I bought it!

I have 4 loads of laundry to do after we come home from vacation.

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#11 of 123 Old 08-09-2012, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

I don't have anything to wear.

Really CatsCradle? Nothing?

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#12 of 123 Old 08-09-2012, 08:40 AM

I agonized over 2 job offers last week. Literally wrote both out pros/cons and decided which to take. This is from a SAHmom of 10 years. I hated telling one of the companies I wasnt coming aboard.

I could not share this with a few people IRL because of their job hunting is not along this route.

A few years ago, DH during the bad economy was given a terrible raise so he looked elsewhere. He literally had 3 job offers and took one. I could not share this with my best friend (her DH was out of work for 2 years) nor another close friend because her DH was closing his business. We also could not discuss it socially for many reasons.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#13 of 123 Old 08-09-2012, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My two that I am wrestling with this evening. What backpacks to get the kids for school? They have backpacks, but will they last the entire year? Are they big enough? Sparkly enough for my one girly girl? Yeah, you get the idea, first world problem for sure!

And the one that I have put serious thought into for weeks, after school activities. Especially my oldest and her sports teams, entirely of her own choosing.  She has already been on 5 different invitation only competitive teams for 5 entirely different sports in the last year alone. She eats, breathes, and sleeps sports. At age 9. And she is driven, she wants this. Me, not so much. People are struggling to eat and here I am spending hours upon hours trying to figure out to make her schedule work in a family of 6. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#14 of 123 Old 08-09-2012, 09:25 PM

My husband and I often discuss how spoiled we are (as individuals and as Americans). 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post

My two that I am wrestling with this evening. What backpacks to get the kids for school? They have backpacks, but will they last the entire year? Are they big enough? Sparkly enough for my one girly girl? Yeah, you get the idea, first world problem for sure!

I've been having a similar but different 'dilemma'.  I have been trying to justify purchasing new bags for my children.  They have used the same messenger bag/backpack for Kindy, 1st and 2nd grades.  I thought I might buy them new bags for third grade...but their bags still look like brand new so it seems wasteful.  I asked them tonight...they said they want to use the same bags.  So I guess the 'problem' is solved!

Another First World Problem...Wasting food.   I am picking the garden again tomorrow.  Sometimes there are items I cannot freeze/store so I give away to friends and neighbors but sometimes they do not want it.  So I contact the local food pantry but they are only open a couple days/month and only accept fresh produce on those mornings which doesn't always correspond to picking days.  In addition to the garden, I do not always plan meals well and end up not using items and they are wasted.   Food waste really bothers me; I have been trying to improve for years but still waste more than I should.

eta...My son said we should hand out the excess garden veggies in the grocery store parking lot.  I had to explain why the grocery store wouldn't allow that.

#15 of 123 Old 08-09-2012, 09:48 PM

Fun thread!

Yes, I can relate to hearing myself complaining about luxury problems.

My smart phone is too slow!

There is nothing I want to watch on TV or Netflix.

I can't decide if I want to read, write or knit.

I "need" a second pair of sneakers and I don't know what color I should get.

Now that I am a mom I no longer have time for knit.gif,teapot2.GIF,read.gif
#16 of 123 Old 08-09-2012, 10:29 PM

Complaining about having to clean the bathrooms...all four of them.

We complained A LOT when our AC broke this summer and we went without for five days in 100+ heat.  

I mentioned my extreme discomfort to one of the AC installers and he said he grew up in a mobile home with no A/C - I was embarrassed and ashamed that I was such a whiny complainer.

#17 of 123 Old 08-10-2012, 06:09 AM

My fridge is too full.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#18 of 123 Old 08-10-2012, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I keep tripping over shoes because there are too many for the rack.

#19 of 123 Old 08-10-2012, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsam View Post

We complained A LOT when our AC broke this summer and we went without for five days in 100+ heat.  

I mentioned my extreme discomfort to one of the AC installers and he said he grew up in a mobile home with no A/C - I was embarrassed and ashamed that I was such a whiny complainer.

Something similar happened to me. It was pre-kids, and DH and I lived in a 975-square-foot 2-bedroom apartment, the size of which we frequently complained about. My company decided to have all the editors work from home, so movers were moving my office furniture into the second bedroom and I was griping about having to "cram" it in there with the guest bed. One of the movers said, "Guest bed? So it's just you and your husband living here? Wow, you're lucky -- it's so big!" I felt like a piece of crap. 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#20 of 123 Old 08-10-2012, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)

Just a a few little ones...

Someone left their cart behind my car at the store. So at 9 months pregnant, I had to move TWO WHOLE EMPTY CARTS ~20 feet. (And no, I didn't even take them all the way to the cart return... just out of the way of cars!)

My smartphone internet is slow! And the !@?*? thing keeps freezing and needing its battery removed. This is a bit more of an issue for me, since it is my only phone (no landline), but um, still very first-world.

Oh... and my husband was very, very sad and disappointed that Sam's didn't have any of the frozen salmon fillets we usually buy, and I therefore bought cod. Like really excessively sad about it. (It had been a long day at work, though.) Of course, there was some other salmon there, but I won't buy it because I won't eat farm-raised salmon...

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**36***40** Oct 2014 - it's a
#21 of 123 Old 08-10-2012, 11:35 AM

We ddont normally eat out but before school starts and also my FT job starts, we have been hitting all our favorite places to pig out. So we have completed DD's bucket list for the summer as she says. So yes, I am complaining how much food we are eating.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#22 of 123 Old 08-10-2012, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Fun thread! I asked my teens to contribute:

Dd#1 - (15) - nothing to read, in spite of owning many books and having access to a library

Dd#2 - (14) - lag -- that annoying moment between the moment you click on something on your computer, and the thing you want happens

For me - overeating. There is just so much food and it all taste so good. But I need to stop because I have a walk-in closet full of clothes that my a$$ is getting to big for.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#23 of 123 Old 08-10-2012, 01:54 PM

Only having AC in the bedroom in our second-story apartment. It could be so much worse, we could have no air, but I just hate being trapped in the bedroom with our 7 month old.

lactivist.gifnovaxnocirc.gif Acd.gif'ing, winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIFread.gif Momma to one DD 1/1/12 ribboncesarean.gif. Trying to goorganic.jpg and hoping for a hbac.gif next time!

#24 of 123 Old 08-10-2012, 02:17 PM

The luxury of worrying about what time my kids go to bed! And what they're doing for the rest of the summer! And how to decorate the walls of our new place without painting since it's a rental. My kids are excited that they will no longer have to share a room when we move. These are good problems to have. orngbiggrin.gif

Book loving, editor mom to 2

#25 of 123 Old 08-10-2012, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)

I have to mow the lawn and it is really big!

ok - that could be TMI  if taken the wrong way

dalia likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#26 of 123 Old 08-10-2012, 05:48 PM

My car is too small.  I have to cram 3 kids across the back of a Honda Accord and they pick and poke at each other.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#27 of 123 Old 08-12-2012, 05:05 PM

ROTFLMAO.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#28 of 123 Old 08-13-2012, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

I'm choosing to take it the wrong way.  mischievous.gif

#29 of 123 Old 08-14-2012, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Can't get link to "Mow your lawn" the razor commercial on iPad. Now that is a first world problem. smile.gif

Most days my problems are things like "ah crap I didn't charge the iPad. Now they won't give me an hour off." *cry*

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#30 of 123 Old 08-14-2012, 08:37 AM

I tried to deposit a check at the drive-thru ATM yesterday, and it got rejected.  So now I have to go IN to the bank and talk to a teller to get my money deposited.  Woe is me!

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page