Funny phrases or words you screw up. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 09-13-2012, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I used to think it was the sixteenth chapel, not the Sistine Chapel.  I'm not even talking about when I was a kid!  I thought this 13 years ago, until finally my dh asked me where I thought the other 15 were.  ROTFLMAO.gif

When my  mom was a kid, she thought that the Statue of Liberty was the Pistachio of Liberty, because it was green like a pistachio.

#2 of 35 Old 09-13-2012, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my daughter, until she was about 7, thought it was "peanup butter". i found this out during a spelling quiz when she spelled it that way. i had no idea! i can't think of anything i said wrong. a huge pet peeve though is when dh says "every since", instead of "ever since".

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#3 of 35 Old 09-13-2012, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

When my oldest was little, we were taking him out for icecream.  I asked him if he wanted a small sundea.  All of a sudden, he's sobbing hysterically, and he gasps out between sobs, "I want icecream today, not on Sunday!"  Poor kid!  LOL!

#4 of 35 Old 09-13-2012, 06:56 AM

I have too many to list.  I'm laughed at regularly.  Being a primary source of conversational English for recent arrivals was eye-opening, let me tell you, when people start repeating and saying back to you what you just said... word for word... while mimicking your accent...  it's eye-opening.  bag.gif

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#5 of 35 Old 09-13-2012, 07:56 AM

MrsGregory- we live in the South also. a cousin was a Spanish teacher...all I could think was Peggy Hill! lol

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#6 of 35 Old 09-13-2012, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My daughter says "Running around like a chicken with it's legs cut off!" I only wish!

Which brings me to my husband, there is no present-tense for "wish" in his vocabulary, it's always "I wished we could..." I want to ask him "Okay, but what do you wish now?" but the only time I remember is when I say I'm going to take a shower and he asks where I'm going to take it to. I seriously hate that.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#7 of 35 Old 09-13-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummoth View Post
 I say I'm going to take a shower and he asks where I'm going to take it to. I seriously hate that.

lol.gif That's pretty funny, I say "taking a shower" even though my mother has always pointed out to me that showering is a verb.

I find "Aurora" (as in Denver, CO) absolutely impossible to say.

Every once in a while when I forget the word for escalator I call it "the moving stairs".

Now that I am a mom I no longer have time for knit.gif,teapot2.GIF,read.gif
#8 of 35 Old 09-13-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakipode View Post

lol.gif That's pretty funny, I say "taking a shower" even though my mother has always pointed out to me that showering is a verb.

According to www.miriam-webster.com, "shower" is both a noun and a verb.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/shower

#9 of 35 Old 09-13-2012, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

DD (4) frequently utters the wonderful phrase, "Run to your death!" She means "Run for your life". I love it.

Until very recently, I had the lyrics to "Eidelweiss" wrong. You know how it's "Small and white, clean and bright/ You look happy to meet me"? I thought it was "You look happy to me, t'me" - as in "to me" twice, just fudged a bit so it'd scan. Quite the epiphany when I realised the truth. :p

DH occasionally says "archipelagos" when he means "arpeggios", much to the amusement of our singing group. He's also been known to say "enchiladas" when he meant "chinchillas".

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#10 of 35 Old 09-13-2012, 08:55 PM

Lets see, off the top if my head. I always have a hard time remembering stuff on demand, but there's several.

I say Toyota as Tyota.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#11 of 35 Old 09-13-2012, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
My LO showed my brother one of her toys and he said "Oh, a finger pucket!" Since then we've all had trouble saying "puppet" and not "pucket".

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#12 of 35 Old 09-13-2012, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Awww, my dad always say Tyota.  When I was a kid, I thought that was how it was pronounced, and I corrected my sister when she was reading it on a sign and she said toyota.  Then my mom told me that was the right way, LOL.

#13 of 35 Old 09-14-2012, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Okay, so this one isn't by me or my kid, but it's funny. One of my coworkers always gets the phrases "not the brightest crayon in the box" and "not the sharpest knife in the block" confused, and says things like "not the sharpest crayon in the box". She kind of knows that she's messing it up and always laughs at herself and checks with me on how the phrase goes. Ah, it's the little things that make the work day amusing. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#14 of 35 Old 09-14-2012, 09:26 PM

I randomly add in letters to words. For the longest time I said chaos like chatos. As in, it was complete chatos. Until someone finally said, um, you mean chaos? So embarrassed.
#15 of 35 Old 09-14-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebugsmom View Post

According to www.miriam-webster.com, "shower" is both a noun and a verb.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/shower

So that means I actually can grammatically-correctly take a shower? I LOVE IT WHEN MY HUSBAND IS WRONG!! He was laughing at me for saying 'blenderize' the other day. He thought it was one of my made-up words like bigganate and uppalator, I had to google it to prove to him that it wasn't me who invented the word.

#16 of 35 Old 09-15-2012, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

I say "your guy's" (pronounced "guy-zez") in sentences such as "We're coming to visit your guyzez house tomorrow."  I have no idea where I picked that up.

I guess I really just need to ditch the "guy" part.  But "your" just doesn't sound plural enough by itself.  I visited the South for a couple of months (or 4) and came back saying "y'all" accidentally and I really liked it--still do-- but now I'm back home it just sounds affected :( (I think I'd sound like my crazy friend years ago who suddenly started speaking in a bad British accent.)

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#17 of 35 Old 09-18-2012, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Okay, so this one isn't by me or my kid, but it's funny. One of my coworkers always gets the phrases "not the brightest crayon in the box" and "not the sharpest knife in the block" confused, and says things like "not the sharpest crayon in the box". She kind of knows that she's messing it up and always laughs at herself and checks with me on how the phrase goes. Ah, it's the little things that make the work day amusing. 

That's cute!

#18 of 35 Old 09-19-2012, 01:14 PM

My DD has 2 that I love.  If something tastes really good she say it's "too-licious"  And flamingo comes out pah-fling-go.  

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#19 of 35 Old 09-19-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
And flamingo comes out pah-fling-go.

My DD calls them flingoes. We even made up a song about them, to the tune of "Copacabana", which begins "Her name was Lola/She was a flingo"... I won't repeat the rest, as it gets a bit gory from there on in.

"Too-licious" is cute!

DD says "dispicious", as in "Mummy, my tiny brother is looking at me dispiciously". She's into flowery adverbs at the moment - severely, perfectly, exactly, extremely.

#20 of 35 Old 09-21-2012, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

DD says "dispicious", as in "Mummy, my tiny brother is looking at me dispiciously". She's into flowery adverbs at the moment - severely, perfectly, exactly, extremely.

I hereby announce that I am co-opting the word "dispiciously". When it ends up on Urban Dictionary as a brand new slang word, Smokering you can stand proudly as the mother of the girl that invented a wonderful new word - it's marvelous! I love it when small kids use flowery adverbs. As an avid former dictionary reader, it's a habit I find quite endearing. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#21 of 35 Old 09-21-2012, 07:28 PM

DS used to say "table of nonsense" instead of "table of contents," which, in some cases, is rather accurate! 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#22 of 35 Old 09-21-2012, 07:42 PM

i love these! one of my daughters called buttons "butmans" so we got stuck calling them that.

one day, my daughter and my neice, who are 6 months apart, argued whether it was "pusghetti" or "busghetti". i thought i'd die from the cuteness.

one kid would say, "look out valow!"

one kid, who is now a teen and HATES this story, claimed the pointy things on a porcupine were called porks.

#23 of 35 Old 09-25-2012, 12:56 PM

I'm sure if I thought about it I could figure out some of these that I do, but as I don't want to do that, I'll share what my DD and DS do/have done.

When a child does an activity, or for example, they don't behave in the most ideal way, the end result of the discussion about that activity could be whether it was "by accident" or "on purpose". MY DD and I would have these discussions (*often*) when she was younger (starting around 3-4 years old); she confused those two similar yet opposing phrases, and would say, "by on purpose".

I figured one cute one that my DS has been saying lately. For example, we were walking in to preschool this morning, and he said, "Walking is extracise!" instead of exercise. I guess he thinks that you are doing something *extra*; in the mind of a 4 year old, it kind of makes sense!

Loving this thread; it's making me laugh!

Becky, mom to two - DD ('00) and DS ('08)
#24 of 35 Old 09-25-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
one kid, who is now a teen and HATES this story, claimed the pointy things on a porcupine were called porks.

That's cool!

My little sister used to call the dishwasher the swishwasher. We call it the swishwasher so routinely now I'd forgotten it was "wrong". :p

#25 of 35 Old 09-25-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

That's cool!

My little sister used to call the dishwasher the swishwasher. We call it the swishwasher so routinely now I'd forgotten it was "wrong". :p

We call ours the wishy-washy... sometimes it gets the dishes clean, sometimes it doesn't. Although, it died on Saturday so I expect it'll be a lot more consistent now!

#26 of 35 Old 09-26-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakipode View Post

I find "Aurora" (as in Denver, CO) absolutely impossible to say.

Every once in a while when I forget the word for escalator I call it "the moving stairs".

Yes! It almost seems like there are endless "uh" sounds at the end and I don't know when to stop. Aurora-ra-ra...

I also cannot say discs, I think I say "sks" too many times at the end. 

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#27 of 35 Old 09-26-2012, 10:06 AM

DH consistently says "echinacea" for "excema". As in "DS's echinacea is getting pretty bad". Makes me crazy so now I think he does it on purpose!

K: high school teacher and mama to DS1 (7/07), loss (10/10) and DS2 (7/12). Married to my best friend and soon to be elementary school teacher!
#28 of 35 Old 09-27-2012, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

"excema". . I love the kid ones; usually better than the original! Dd2 calls ravioli "avaroli" and it stuck. When dd1 was just starting to talk one day she farted really loud and exclaimed "My butt burped!!!" We were laughing too hard to correct her so for years she called them buttburps.

I can't say Aurora or Rory either unless I split up the syllables so much it comes out sounding like two different words.

Now that I think about it there are probably a lot of words that I'm sure I would mangle because I have only seen them in print but never had to pronounce them! The "excema" post reminded me...

#29 of 35 Old 09-27-2012, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Oh, man, DH.....

He always says "Alttimers" for "Alzheimer's" and "dishwarsher" for "dishwasher".  Normally I find squarshing one's warshes mildly amusing and not irritating in the least.  My grandmother did it.  She warshed dishes, ate squarsh, and even lived in the beautiful state of Warshington her entire life.  But DH doesn't warsh dishes, he washes them.  He likes eating squash, not squarsh.  We live in Washington.  But damned if he won't stop putting dishes in the dishwarsher!

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#30 of 35 Old 09-27-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerose View Post

That's cute! When DS was getting the hang of plurals he thought "box" was plural because of the "s" sound at the end, so if there was just one he'd call it a "bock." You know, "One bock, two bocks!" love.gif

I think I've said this here before, but DH calls any counter surface a sink -- it drives me crazy! I can halfway see using it like, "DD, put your plate on the sink" (although I say, "...BY the sink"), but, for example, we have a linen cabinet in our bathroom that is nowhere near the counter/sinks, and it has a little counter surface on it, and he'll say, "The new bottle of soap is on the linen cabinet sink." Uh ... say what? And he calls crayons "crowns," although he's starting to say it correctly now because DD never knows what he's talking about when he says it. orngtongue.gif

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page