The Absurdity of Stuffed Animals - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-01-2012, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

we had this problem.  My DH has 2 stuffies left over from childhood, I have a dozen.  My son has a "stuffie army."  No kidding, their are captains, generals, and ranks and the protect the house and DS's playroom.  He even had a dragon that guards his bank.

When DD had her trach put in at 5 months, we told everyone no more stuffies.  It has halted the growth of the army, and we have had a few defectors.  However, DS's memory is too good for me to get rid of any.  He sleeps with 17 of them, and counts them before he goes to bed.  However, when he stays overnight somewhere, he is only allowed to take 2.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnra View Post

Sell them and let the kids keep the money.  Either have a garage sale and sell them that way, or you pay the kid a set amount (like $0.25 per toy or something) for each toy they get rid of.  You could help them brainstorm ahead of time to see what they want to buy with their money--favorite foods, admission to a museum or water park, art supplies, etc.  Even if they do end up buying more toys you'll at least have gotten rid of 40 toys to account for that one $10 toy.

This is what I do and it has really cut down on the number of stuffed animals.  My dds are 6 and 7 1/2.  They don't get allowance yet, so their only income between birthdays and Christmas is spare change and what they get when I buy their toys from them.  I pay $1 a stuffed animal and it is worth it.     

Old 10-03-2012, 07:09 AM

I feeeeeel your pain!  My dd would never get rid of anything given the choice to keep, she is a mini hoarder fo sho.

But, I don't give her the final say.  I tell her we are going through her stuff and she tries to object but I press forward basically with a 'with or without ya' attitude and then start making choices and giving her the option to make swaps ie swapping out a less liked toy for the ones i have chosen letting er know that stuff is leaving and she can make the choices or I can.  Works every time.  I have kept the clutter at bay and with minimal tears but I have been doing it this way since she was very small, I think it wouldn't immediately go over with a child who has been allowed to make the choice to keep everything if they want to.

Just my 2 cents!

Good luck :)

Old 10-03-2012, 09:35 AM

I recently realized that my Little Miss had almost no plush toys and solicited some for her birthday.

I fear I've made a grave error.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

Old 10-03-2012, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I love this thread!

In a recent move, I convinced my girls (3 & 5) to gather a bag of things to give to a 1-yr-old neighbor. Giving them to a baby they loved made a world of a difference and they gave away way more than I expected, including lots of stuffed animals and dolls.

My parents gave away stuffed animals to trick-or-treaters one year.

Another idea--maybe some of those net/hammock things that hang in the corner? So at least the toys aren't all kicking around in beds and toy boxes?

User Tag List