Is this unethical? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-25-2012, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have exchanged about five e-mails with a realtor about my interest in some property.  We haven't met in person yet, but I was very pleased with the realtor's follow-up.  Very pleased.  However, I recently found out I could save a few thousand dollars if I went with a different realtor.  Am I making an unethical choice if I switch from someone I like to someone that could save me money?  Realtor #1 hasn't done leg work for us, though would if it was needed.  The sale would be very straight-forward with little room for negotiation, so I feel like my choice should be based on money, not warm fuzzies.  I know this is business, not personal, but I cannot help but feel bad for Realtor #1 and I don't even know how to explain why I wouldn't require his/her services.

Any thoughts/opinions on this?

#2 of 9 Old 09-25-2012, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is the realtor that you have been communicating with the seller's agent?  If so, you would want a separate agent acting on your behalf for the purchase.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#3 of 9 Old 09-25-2012, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post

Is the realtor that you have been communicating with the seller's agent?  If so, you would want a separate agent acting on your behalf for the purchase.

No, both would only represent me.

#4 of 9 Old 09-25-2012, 02:34 PM

Well, if you haven't signed a contract, then it's still your prerogative to go with another realtor.  

I would caution you though that even the most seemingly straight-forward transactions often have glitches along the way.  I'm not in real estate, but my mom and best friend are, and I've bought 2 homes and sold one.  None were without unforeseen problems during escrow, and the transaction that was the least stressful was the one with the most professional and knowledgeable (and ironically not the most experienced) realtor.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#5 of 9 Old 09-25-2012, 07:49 PM

I'd go with the cheaper one, and if the first one asks why- tell the truth. He may change his price for you :)

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#6 of 9 Old 09-26-2012, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post

Well, if you haven't signed a contract, then it's still your prerogative to go with another realtor.  

I would caution you though that even the most seemingly straight-forward transactions often have glitches along the way.  I'm not in real estate, but my mom and best friend are, and I've bought 2 homes and sold one.  None were without unforeseen problems during escrow, and the transaction that was the least stressful was the one with the most professional and knowledgeable (and ironically not the most experienced) realtor.

Thanks for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

I'd go with the cheaper one, and if the first one asks why- tell the truth. He may change his price for you :)

Thanks, I'm going to because I think I would be stupid not to.  smile.gif 

#7 of 9 Old 09-26-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

You could also talk to the one you like better, tell him or her about the price difference, and see if s/he'll work with you at a lower rate.

#8 of 9 Old 09-28-2012, 07:18 PM

No, not unethical to pick another realtor. Finding a realtor is like trying on jeans... you may need to try on many to find the one that fits. This goes for therapists too!

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
#9 of 9 Old 09-30-2012, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

As long as the realtor did not show you the house or you have not signed a contract, you are fine to switch.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page