"Never say never" -- does this ring true? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-27-2012, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Do you believe there are certain things you will never do? I don't mean things like, "I will never skateboard on the rings of Saturn," but plausible things that you could theoretically do, but that you believe with absolute certainty that you will never do. Or do you subscribe to the "never say never" idea, and believe that anything is possible given a particular set of circumstances? 

ETA: No "gun to your head" arguments either -- I'm talking about doing something of your own free will. And what about ethical stuff -- stealing money, cheating on your spouse, etc.?

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hmm....I get the "never say never" thing, but...I'll never bungee jump. I'll never skydive. I'm pretty much the polar opposite of a thrill junkie and that kind of stuff just isn't going to happen, yk? (I'd get all the terror, but none of the fun.)

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 09-27-2012, 03:08 PM

I do think a lot of things are possible even if they seem unlikely. There are things that I would say I will never willingly do if there is no threat to my survival.

I feel pretty confident in saying that I will never go skydiving or surfing.

I will never willingly be a conservative Christian.

I will never be a professional singer, race car driver or surgeon.

I'm pretty confident that I will never go on a murder spree. I can't think of anything that would make me choose to go out and kill random people.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

Old 09-27-2012, 06:58 PM

Cheating...nope. I came really close with my ex (basically had an emotional affair, although I didn't fully realize that until much later, with dh)...close enough to know that it won't ever happen. I have my lines, and I'm much more aware of what it feels like to slide too close to them. Stealing...can't ever see it happening, but I have no idea what I'd do if it came down to my children starving, yk?

OTOH, if someone had asked me 10 years ago, I'd have probably said that I'd never get my driver's license, and I'd have definitely said that I'd never, ever, ever sing in public. I've had my license for 7 years, and I'm starting my 7th year with a choir, so...yeah...

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 09-27-2012, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)

I will never:

- cheat on my spouse

- drink tea with milk

- buy orange furniture

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), and an overachieving mother (1930). Married to DH since 1986.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:28 AM

I will never again eat broccoli. Yuck.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Until we are put in a really testing situation we never thought we would be in, we won't really find out what we will do.  Lots of people make choices against their own moral judgments because the surrounding circumstances came together in such a way that they failed to see the right choice/decision at the moment OR they were so overwhelmed by other feelings that they couldn't bring themselves to make the choice they would have considered to be the right one if they were not in the situation they were in.  Hence the expressions "eating my words" and "hindsight is 20/20"....  etc.  

I also think people who live in wealthy countries are insulated from a lot of awful, difficult situations.  Our beliefs about what we will do and will not do are not tested as much but we do get to judge others in such situations... how could they do that?!!  

Have any of you guys seen Sophie's Choice (I KNOW I KNOW, you said No gun to your head argument but this movie is remarkable)?  Some people's humanity is tested; and failing -- because you are human -- is mundane.  It is those who don't fail in those instances that are remarkable.  Those who risk everything to do the right thing... these people are rare.  

I guess, I will NEVER say never :) 

Old 09-28-2012, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I often think about what would life be like if we run out of the things that make us go... like gas for our cars, electricity to run our homes etc. There a lot of things I would never do if things stay how they are, but if life drastically changed (which is somewhat feasible in my lifetime), then I could very well could do the things that I now think I would never do.

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
Old 09-29-2012, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

ethically i'd like to say i'd never. but under extreme conditions i could do anything. 

there are somethings that due to age i will never do. like go climbing really steep cliffs. no way. to me its like skating on the rings of saturn. not plausible at all. 

however that statement does ring true. 

i swore over and over again i'd never be my mother (not that she was evil, but i disagreed with some stuff she did) and guess what. whose commands do i hear myself repeating to dd. in that case never say never. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 09-29-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wemoon View Post

I often think about what would life be like if we run out of the things that make us go... like gas for our cars, electricity to run our homes etc. There a lot of things I would never do if things stay how they are, but if life drastically changed (which is somewhat feasible in my lifetime), then I could very well could do the things that I now think I would never do.

I'm reading a book called Dies the Fire that's about this. Everything electric and mechanical stops working. There's groups of people who turn cannibal! Really makes you think.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
Old 09-30-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydove View Post

I'm reading a book called Dies the Fire that's about this. Everything electric and mechanical stops working. There's groups of people who turn cannibal! Really makes you think.
Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I loved that book!

User Tag List