Help me shop for a winter coat! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-06-2012, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm originally from Florida, but I've been in New England for several years now. I feel like I'm still totally ignorant about winter gear. I have a winter coat, but it's a little too big and not at all attractive. I'd love to get a coat that's stylish, warm, and snow-proof, and can be worn for formal(ish) occasions, and everyday. I'd also prefer not to spend more than $200. What should I look for? Is there a certain type of coat or material I should get? Anyone know of a good store or website to look at? I'd appreciate any help you can give me!

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 10-06-2012, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Try Landsend. Be sure to find a code for atleast free shipping.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#3 of 8 Old 10-07-2012, 10:30 AM

I have 2 coats that I think fit what you're looking for.

I picked up one kinda like this a few years ago.  It is really, really warm (I actually don't end up wearing it as often, but I think I got it on clearance at the end of a cold winter I wished I'd had it.)  It does look nice, the slightly longer length would help make it work for a 'going out' type of occasion, for more versatility I'd stick to black or navy - especially for making sure it's appropriate for formal outings.

I also have something kinda like this except with a hood and wooden toggle closures.  (I'll see if I can find something similar elsewhere) but it is an excellent warm coat for weather that isn't crazy cold (with hat/scarf/gloves it's pretty warm, I wear something else for lots of snow).  I'd always wanted a classy wool coat with wood toggles, so there you go.  I happened to get a great deal buying it like in February or March when coats go on sale (I think I paid like $120, and it was like a $300 coat otherwise?) which you may want to consider if you'd prefer something that's a bit more than you'd prefer to spend.  I've had it for like 10+ years, and it's still doing great.

I do like the look of this slightly dressy fleece looking fleece coat (styled like the wool one I have).

I do favor this style of coat (it's land's end's wool car coat) as a great dressy but still warm style, when you find it in wool.  I'll often see other slightly less expensive versions of this at places like TJ Maxx, from other decent outerwear companies most of the time between now and December (when they seem to disappear).

#4 of 8 Old 10-07-2012, 04:52 PM

How about this:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/75227?feat=610-GN1&page=goose-down-hooded-parka

or this:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/75230?feat=610-GN1&page=ultralight-850-down-coat

I have the regular length of the 2nd one and it's the BEST!  SO warm!!  Down is definitely what you should look for--warm without being heavy.

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#5 of 8 Old 10-07-2012, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chel View Post

Try Landsend. Be sure to find a code for atleast free shipping.

Lands End has 40% off one item promotion right now.  Great if you just buy one winter coat.  I'll suggest a longish shaped down filled coat. :)

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#6 of 8 Old 10-09-2012, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions, I love all those coats! I ended up ordering this in black: http://www.landsend.com/pp/womens-essential-down-long-parka~243948_59.html, as it seemed the most practical for playing in the snow with my kids, but I really wanted to get this one too: http://www.landsend.com/pp/womens-luxe-wool-swing-car-coat~243894_59.html.

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

#7 of 8 Old 10-09-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liliaceae View Post

but I really wanted to get this one too: http://www.landsend.com/pp/womens-luxe-wool-swing-car-coat~243894_59.html.

Keep you eyes on Lands End sale site, I buy the bulk of my clothing (and our DS's) from Lands End and I always find what I want at a great discount because I am willing to wait.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#8 of 8 Old 10-09-2012, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

I just bought one today from Sierra Trading Post (google them). They were having a 20% off sale and I had a 35% off e-mail, so my $200 Columbia coat was $80.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page