Question about power outage.....help me understand. ***Updated post 63*** - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 135 Old 11-04-2012, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieB View Post
We all have none electric heat, usually a wood stove. Most people have a generator to run the basics and we stock up on gas ahead of time. Most people has propane stoves and ovens, but if not they can cook on their wood stove.

The great majority of people in this country don't have non-electric or (non-gas) heat and cooking stoves. Wood stoves are very much in the minority in this country, in this day and age. You're not going to have a wood stove in a 25th floor 500 square foot apartment in Manhattan. And most people don't lay in more than a week or two of food at a time. Of that, there are very few complete meals that could be prepared easily without a stove. So a storm that knocks out power for a week is pretty catastrophic. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#122 of 135 Old 11-07-2012, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I don't understand the slamming the OP is getting.  When I read these kinds of responses, I have to wonder if this is the way people respond to a question their child asks when they don't understand something, even if it's asked at a bad time, the question makes the parent uncomfortable, etc.

I'm glad the OP asked.  I've learned a few things from this thread.  I never thought about how an evacuation order would effect someone w/o a car or if they are disabled, that while a person may want to buy water, batteries, etc., they may not be able to because they walk/take public transportation everywhere & would have to make multiple trips to get many of these things, if the store still had them when they went back repeatedly, etc.  Thank you, OP, for asking.  I'm sorry for the way you've been treated. greensad.gif

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#123 of 135 Old 11-07-2012, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think the slamming the OP is getting is because people who are suffering, or watching their neighbours suffer, aren't in the mood to have people imply that they (or their neighbours) are too lazy, stupid, careless, self-indulgent or whatever to take basic precautions.

When someone's question or argument boils down to "well, I wouldn't have this problem, so I simply can't understand how it could be any different for anyone else", it doesn't tend to go over well with the "anyone else". When the question comes in the middle of a massive crisis, that's even more true.

With respect to the way people respond to their children...there's a difference between a question coming at a bad time or making me uncomfortable, and a question being asked when I'm coping with a crisis. Ask me something when I'm doing the dishes...cool. Ask me while we're driving to an activity...cool. Ask me when I'm not feeling 100%....cool. Ask me when I just broke a dish and cut my hand...or when I just navigated out of a near crash, because someone ran a red light...or when I have a screaming migraine....not so cool. Ask me a question that implies that the broken dish, near accident or migraine is my own stupid fault, while I'm still dealing with the pain/adrenaline rush...yeah - probably going to yell.

The OP's question very much implied that the people suffering from the power outage on the east coast were simply not as competent as she is, or they wouldn't be in that situation. I don't think she meant it to come across that way, but it was very much a "kick 'em when they're down" post.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#124 of 135 Old 11-07-2012, 09:38 AM

I can understand those that were/are suffering reacting negatively, but she apologized and the outrage continued. Folks here are not always forgiving when someone puts a foot in her mouth.
kathymuggle likes this.
#125 of 135 Old 11-07-2012, 09:43 AM

Because the question asked in the OP was basically ‘They’re stupid, right?’ It certainly wasn’t ‘how often does the power go out in that part of the country?’ – because it was stated, fairly unequivocally, that it must go out all the time! based on absolutely no specific knowledge at all, and then from this it was extrapolated that people are obviously relying on “a fragile grid system,” ergo, ‘they’re stupid, right?’

In terms of my child, for starters, since I’m raising him from infancy, part of the deal is that, as developmentally appropriate, I explain when he’s being thoughtless, cruel, arrogantly ignorant, ignorantly arrogant, or any combination of the preceding, even if he didn’t intend to be. I would certainly include, again, as developmentally appropriate, explaining that you don’t get to invent facts without even making the slightest effort to check if they have any basis in reality, insult people based on your made-up facts, and then claim your not knowing the actual facts makes it unfair for people to say “That was insulting, and these are the actual facts.”

ETA: In terms of apologizing, while it didn't all come from the thread-starter, there was pretty much nothing that acknowledged the problems with the OP that did not also involve finger-shaking at how meeean people were being over "asking questions!"

journeymom and ollyoxenfree like this.

bftoddler.gif

#126 of 135 Old 11-07-2012, 09:54 AM

At what point do you stop lecturing, say lesson learned (hopefully), and move on. Continued berating is counterproductive. It only serves to vent your feelings, and has no positive impact on the other person. If that's what is going on, call a spade a spade, and admit venting feelings of hostility brought about from reading the first post. But there's no reason to continue justifying ongoing attacks after two apologies have been given. Some folks insult others and NEVER apologize.
#127 of 135 Old 11-07-2012, 10:00 AM

Like everyone else, I stopped posting in the thread several days ago, until someone else deemed it urgent to post once again about how terribly unfair it was of people to take insult from being insulted.

bftoddler.gif

#128 of 135 Old 11-07-2012, 10:05 AM

Ahhh! The "this thread won't die, no matter how many wish it would" syndrome! I know that one. I bet even the OP wishes it would die. Maybe now we can let it rest in peace.
#129 of 135 Old 11-07-2012, 10:07 AM

It's snowing in Manhattan. 

Despite on-going problems with power, etc., I've been quite impressed with everyone's ability here in the city, Long Island and NJ to help out one another.  I hate to say it, but it is in times such as this that I am encouraged by the humanity of my community and surrounding communities.  That's the bright spot in this.  Everyone has pulled together in the face of this and we've learned some things too.

Edited to add:  sorry, Pek, we were posting at the same time.

MrsGregory and gonyere like this.

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#130 of 135 Old 11-08-2012, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama24-7 View Post

I don't understand the slamming the OP is getting.  When I read these kinds of responses, I have to wonder if this is the way people respond to a question their child asks when they don't understand something, even if it's asked at a bad time, the question makes the parent uncomfortable, etc.

I'm glad the OP asked.  I've learned a few things from this thread.  I never thought about how an evacuation order would effect someone w/o a car or if they are disabled, that while a person may want to buy water, batteries, etc., they may not be able to because they walk/take public transportation everywhere & would have to make multiple trips to get many of these things, if the store still had them when they went back repeatedly, etc.  Thank you, OP, for asking.  I'm sorry for the way you've been treated. greensad.gif

Sus

I think people have said very well why they responded the way they did.  I think I was pretty clear. 

#131 of 135 Old 01-24-2013, 04:38 PM

I have a question totally unrelated to the last post! I googled "a says ah. Can you hear it in apple" and it brought up an old post of yours! I'm desperately looking for this song! My daughter who is now almost 9 learned that song in a jiff and it helped her a lot in kindergarten and I have a 5yr old that is struggling! I think the song will help her more than anything. You wouldn't happen to know how I can find it?
#132 of 135 Old 01-24-2013, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

is it what you are looking for ?

Do you know these letter sounds,
do you know these letter sounds?
They will help you learn to read,
they will help you learn to read...

apple, apple, ah ah ah
baby, baby, buh buh buh
cookie, cookie, kuh kuh kuh
dolly, dolly, duh, duh duh
elbow, elbow, eh eh eh
flower, flower, fuh, fuh fuh...
garden
hammer
igloo
jelly
kettle
lion
monkey
necklace
ostrich
pumpkin
quarter
rabbit
scissors
tiger
undershirt
vacuum
window
x-ray
yoyo
zebra, zebra, zzz zzz zzz..."

#133 of 135 Old 01-24-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt61004 View Post

I have a question totally unrelated to the last post! I googled "a says ah. Can you hear it in apple" and it brought up an old post of yours! I'm desperately looking for this song! My daughter who is now almost 9 learned that song in a jiff and it helped her a lot in kindergarten and I have a 5yr old that is struggling! I think the song will help her more than anything. You wouldn't happen to know how I can find it?

Possibly you can find it here. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDgQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.littlegiraffes.com%2Flettersongsrhymes.html&ei=jRcCUdybBIby9gSutoCoDQ&usg=AFQjCNEH1sCMrdf3hTE3XN4OgU1AkWMnuw
#134 of 135 Old 01-24-2013, 09:36 PM

also this one ....

ants on the apple a,a,a. balls are bouncing b,b,b. caterpillar coughing c,c,c. dolls are dancing d,d,d. elegant elephant e,e,e. five flamingos f,f,f. goats are giggling g,g,g. helicopters are hovering h,h,h. indian itching i,i,i. jellybeans are jumping j,j,j. king kicked a kettle k,k,k. lion licking lollipop l,l,l. monkeys are munching m,m,m. nuts in a nutshell n,n,n. old orange octopus o,o,o. popcorn is popping p,p,p. queen waiting quietly q,q,q. rats are running r,r,r. sausages are sizzling s,s,s. tigers on tiptoe t,t,t. up umbrella ah,ah,ah, violent volcanoes v,v,v. wibbly wobbly walrus w,w,w. fox in a box ks,ks,ks. yak is yawning y,y,y. zigzag zebra z,z,z.

#135 of 135 Old 01-24-2013, 09:39 PM

Tags
Stocking Up How To Preserve The Foods You Grow Naturally , Ready America 70280 Grab N Go Emergency Kit 2 Person 3 Day Backpack , Handbook To Practical Disaster Preparedness For The Family 3rd Edition , How To Store Food For A Disaster Disaster Preparedness Food Storage Emergency Food Supply During Nat , The Disaster Preparedness Handbook A Guide For Families , Moms Medicine How To Protect Your Kids Husband And Parents Against More Than 100 Health Problems And , Be Amazing Stormy Weather

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page