Are your pots/pans/bakeware pristine? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 47 Old 11-14-2012, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliabedelia View Post

My parents built their house when I was about 7.  When my mom was picking out the linoleum for the kitchen floor, she took a bunch of samples home, laid them all out in the living room and then threw crumbs and dirt on each to see which patterns were best at hiding the dirt.   She also picked out the pattern to paint the walls with (used these rollar things) by seeing which ones hid fingerprints and marks the best.

This is the woman I learned my stellar housekeeping skills from. lol.gif

Your mother is a genius. I am seriously doing this when I have a house of my own. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 47 Old 11-14-2012, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

Just wanted to say that last night I made roast chicken and that roasting pan got the scrubbing of its life thanks to this thread.  lol.gif

Hahahaha LMAO. We've been skipping the pans altogether and using the crockpot because of this thread!

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#33 of 47 Old 11-14-2012, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormborn View Post

That's a great idea!  I still think the salesman that sold us~a couple of childbearing age with dog and cat hair on their shirts~ off-white carpet should be beaten.  There should be a law.orngtongue.gif Or a waiver to sign.

I agree! (Even though it took me awhile to understand what you wrote. Pregnancy/sleepy, anyone? orngtongue.gif That's part of the reason I *love* the house were in now. Even though it has carpeting in living room and bedrooms, the carpet is dark tan/light brown, and literally *everything* the kids have spilled/could spill disappears! (I bet the landlord loves the carpet for that reason, too.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Hahahaha LMAO. We've been skipping the pans altogether and using the crockpot because of this thread!

I love you ladies! Always making me feel more at home, even though I'm probably slightly more... chewy(?).. than crunchy. joy.gif (But have no fear, I'm becoming more crunchi-fied every day!)

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#34 of 47 Old 11-15-2012, 02:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Mine are pretty much pristine, because DH washes them.  He's rather anal about them looking shiny.   If it's me they're considered clean if there's no food scrap left.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (13 & 12)
#35 of 47 Old 11-15-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneel View Post

Pots and pans are mostly pristine because after many years I learned to deglaze fry and sauce pans so there is little to no "gunk" left on the bottom after cooking.  My pots are heavy duty stainless, if that matters.

Cookie sheets are another story and would like make any OCD guest run for the door.  I use the "cookie" sheets for roasting veggies, fish, etc. and there is something about baked on oil that WILL NOT COME OFF.  I use them until they start to gross me out (and that takes a long time) and then replace them with another set. 

This exactly, although I will add that in addition to the deglazing, I still have to use a scrub on my pans for some tough stains.  Also, I really like my corning ware casserole dishes (I have the French White series) and after more than 10 years, they still look practically new.  The material is just super easy to clean.

#36 of 47 Old 11-15-2012, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

my cookie sheets are dark, and the bottoms of my pots are too.  

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#37 of 47 Old 11-16-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areia View Post

This exactly, although I will add that in addition to the deglazing, I still have to use a scrub on my pans for some tough stains.  Also, I really like my corning ware casserole dishes (I have the French White series) and after more than 10 years, they still look practically new.  The material is just super easy to clean.

Good to know, I am limping along with two pieces that are way past their prime.  I will check out that line.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#38 of 47 Old 11-17-2012, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I am so not anal about cleaning my cookware, but especially when the kids were younger I was a little freaky about what kinds of materials I wanted to use in my kitchen. I got rid of all Teflon. Won't have that at all. Got rid of most aluminum (not into the anodized aluminum, either) and got all cast iron and stainless steel. The cast iron is not the enameled, but the real uncoated cast iron so it's black as night. I have two frying pans, a grill pan, a griddle, two muffin tins and two loaf pans — all black and well seasoned. Then I also have a stainless cookie sheet and a stainless brownie pan. They are scratched, but still shiny and they clean up pretty easily. I do have a couple of aluminum muffin tins I inherited and they are far from shiny. I also have stainless sauce-pans which DH bought. I think he got a bargain, so not sure of the quality. They're looking a little iffy to me lately with some pitting and staining (I burnt something pretty bad in one and I think it took a layer of stainless off when it came out). The stainless bakeware, though, really cleans up easily. So I would agree with the PPs who said that it depends on the material your bakeware is made from. I also have some ceramic/glass bakeware and that cleans up fine, too. 

Now, the rest of my house and kitchen — not so much on the pristine business. I do have Marmoleum flooring in Van Gogh yellow with lots of swirlies and it is pretty great at hiding a lot of dirt, but not so great at hiding black dog hair, darnit.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#39 of 47 Old 11-17-2012, 10:02 AM

hmm...it occurs to me that I have no idea what my sole cookie sheet (it's actually a jelly roll pan, but I use it as a cookie sheet) or my muffin pans are made from. I got them second hand over 20 years ago, and have used them ever since, and I never once thought about it...

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#40 of 47 Old 11-17-2012, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

An "18/8" on the underside indicates it's stainless steel, reasonably good quality.

#41 of 47 Old 11-21-2012, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I admit that I like my cook/bakeware to be shiny and nice.  So yes, mine is almost pristine.  The only thing that isn't are the stoneware baking sheets because they are made to darken with use.  Have to say that's why I started selling Pampered Chef.  I wanted good quality cookware for free or at a deep discount.  The new ceramic pans are super easy to keep clean.  Nothing sticks to them!  They're my absolute favorite.  

My friend's pans are...um...nasty.  She baked and cooked and when I saw her pans, I didn't want to eat the food.  LOL.  They weren't just stained, they were crusted.

Mama, Painter, Special Needs Coordinator
#42 of 47 Old 11-21-2012, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post

My friend's pans are...um...nasty.  She baked and cooked and when I saw her pans, I didn't want to eat the food.  LOL.  They weren't just stained, they were crusted.

I once watched a cooking show that highlighted "down home" kind of cooking using all sorts of different techniques. The host visited a sheep station with a family homestead. The woman made a roast lamb in a pan that she had never washed. It was coated in a couple of inches of dark, crusted, slightly gooey stuff that she insisted provided all the flavour to the roast. 

#43 of 47 Old 11-21-2012, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

I once watched a cooking show that highlighted "down home" kind of cooking using all sorts of different techniques. The host visited a sheep station with a family homestead. The woman made a roast lamb in a pan that she had never washed. It was coated in a couple of inches of dark, crusted, slightly gooey stuff that she insisted provided all the flavour to the roast. 

huh.gif  sick.gif

#44 of 47 Old 11-21-2012, 01:05 PM

you got me at "slightly gooey". Ugh.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

#45 of 47 Old 11-21-2012, 01:34 PM

That sounds really disgusting. In reality, I suspect a lot of people have used pots like that, at various times (historically speaking, I mean...no running water, and nothing to really scour with, and what's a person going to do?), and it's probably not really a health hazard (any bacteria or whatever are probably long dead), but it definitely flicks the "ick" switch.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#46 of 47 Old 11-21-2012, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)

As a teenager, DH was famous for making the best toasted cheese sandwiches ever (grilled cheese, I suppose, if you're American). He claimed the sandwiches' awesomeness derived from an ancient black, encrusted, gooey, seasoned-with-the-souls-of-a-thousand-cheddars sandwich press his parents had. They eventually got rid of it in favour of a shiny Teflon one, and apparently DH's cheese sandwiches have never been the same.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#47 of 47 Old 11-21-2012, 07:01 PM

Well, I do love my well-seasoned cast iron pans, but I rinse them/wipe them/wash them after every use depending on the level of messiness. There's no gooeyness involved when they're clean.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page