Pre-emptive Relative Holiday Commentary - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 63 Old 11-13-2012, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

With extra sarcasm!  Just thought I'd like to get mine out here, and not all in full force to dh this season.  Please share, and laugh, and cry, and maybe thank your lucky stars for relatives you happen to get along with.

MIL at thanksgiving:  "I hate nutmeg/ginger/etc.  I NEVER put anything but cinnamon in MY pumpkin pie."  "Oh no, I can't eat that you see I don't like nutmeg/ginger."  (says this when presented with any foodstuff that may contain these spices, in case anyone may have forgotten from the last 10+ years.)

MIL (possibly presents dd1, or even both dd's with horrible surprise holiday dress, in the middle of thanksgiving dinner - or like last year, cheap clearance and too-small sized halloween costume and proceeds to get dd to change into it while I'm, you know, washing dishes or otherwise hosting). - "Oh, why does she need to take it off, it's so cute? . . . *Mom* says you can't wear it now.  . . . but she looks so nice. . ."  while I grumble to myself after spending a week getting the kids to agree to clothing that at least somewhat coordinates nicely for some good holiday pictures for the day.

My Mom: (unloads car full of 4-5 boxes full of goodies she's thrifted for the kids, and sets them all over my cleaned living room) - "If you want, I can take some of it back" (where it will sit at my parents until I take it again eyesroll.gif).  I hear we have multiple new 'nice' dress winter boots already, at minimum.

#2 of 63 Old 11-13-2012, 04:18 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Doing my happy dance because.............MIL moved out of state!   Over a year ago, and I'm still so giddy about it.  

Everyone with MIL/ Mom issues should read the book "Elsewhere" by Richard Russo.  You'll relate.  

swede likes this.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#3 of 63 Old 11-13-2012, 05:01 PM

I'm extremely fortunate, in that I love spending time with my relatives at Christmas. I think my FIL would wear a bit thin on me, but it's not an issue, as they live a long way from us (we're in Vancouver, BC, and they're in Knoxville, TN).

My SIL and I don't get along at all, but it really doesn't matter. She's the cold shoulder type, not the make a scene type, and we don't sit near each other at dinner. The way things have been going, I have my doubts that she and my brother will even show up this year.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#4 of 63 Old 11-13-2012, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

My MIL is nice.  So, completely, utterly sweet, wonderful thoughtful.  Not manipulative-passive-aggressive sweet.  Not put-upon-sweet.  Really really nice.  So I end up feeling like the heel by comparison.  The sarcastic, impatient, impulsive, selfish heel.  

footinmouth.gif --me at the holidays.  MIL doesn't have one sarcastic bone in her sweet little body.  She has no comprehension of sarcasm until the moment is gone, and then it's too late.

I happen to enjoy the holidays, but it is exhausting being the one to drive everywhere.  I suppose that's a decent trade-off for hosting.

That's the best complaint I can drum up, but I love threads like these.  It feels so wonderful to say those things you never quite get to say.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#5 of 63 Old 11-13-2012, 08:16 PM

My ILs are really nice and fairly understanding.  Its my own freaking parents who are the trouble makers.  Already its started for Christmas...

My mom and I had talked a few years ago about possibly doing a "Turducken" (thats a chicken stuffed into a duck, stuffed into a turkey, all boneless, then roasted) one of these years.  It was all talk because we didn't know anywhere that you could get one.  Yesterday my mom calls and tells me to go find one and get it, regardless of how big it is, or how much money.  I knew these things were REALLY BIG and fairly expensive, and I told her so.  She said it didn't matter as that is what my dad would like.  (For the record, my dad is on the road to recovery from cancer.)

So I track down a place, find out it serves 30(!) people, and costs anywhere from $230-$250.  We're probably only going to have 10 people here for dinner and there's no way I'd be able to spend *that* much on just one aspect of Christmas dinner.  Thats how much I spend TOTAL on the whole holiday! 

Anyways, I go and tell my mom about this and she flips on me.  Either I do this or I don't care about them, specifically my dad.  I just can't win on this.

Also, she's been asking my kids what they would like for presents.  Typical of kids, they've written it all out.  Its typical of my mom to get *everything* on the list.  Nevermind that it leaves nothing for the rest of the family to get, but honestly my kids don't need anything, and I don't want any more toys/clothes/crap to deal after the holidays.

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#6 of 63 Old 11-14-2012, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My in-laws are all out of state now and we've had little contact with them for years. So that has simplified the holidays.

But we live with my mother so we are always at the mercy of what my relatives decide to do. It could be lovely but with us having a really hard time financially and a serious lack of communication about who will be here and what sort of extravagant gifts they intend to give their kids in front of mine, it's really stressful. I usually make gifts for everyone except ds over the course of months. Last week, it was decided that we wouldn't exchange gifts. Great. But I wasted a bunch of time working on various things when I should have been focused on things that will earn me money to pay bills and hopefully be able to afford a couple of presents for ds. Other than a t-shirt from my mom, I don't expect ds will get any gifts except whatever I manage to come up with for him.

And I've enraged my sil because I was annoyed to not be included in the communications about everyone's schedules and when they planned to be here. Her family doesn't usually visit (5 years ago for a wedding was the last time) but had backed out of their original plans to come over the summer and decided to come at Christmas as a sort of consolation trip. We'd been looking forward to the summer visit and planned our own summer with it in mind. So we were on tenter-hooks as to whether they were really coming for the holidays. But evidently it isn't my business who will be here for Christmas. So it promises to be an extra cheerful holiday helping my 70+ mother put on Christmas for 20 people and trying to make it a nice holiday for ds who would prefer a quiet low-key day. At least there will be no gift exchange so I don't have to worry about ds's cousins getting pricey electronics while he's opening pre-owned things from thrift stores.

Needless to say, I'm feeling extra Scroogey this year.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#7 of 63 Old 11-14-2012, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Ohhh, I'm SO grateful the inlaws live out of state now. This WILL be my MIL, who will still, loudly, be going on about recent events:  "It's all over. I don't know how I will ever feel happy again, knowing what is in store for my grandchildren. It's just tragic. And believe me, you need to stock up on all those survival things, you're going to need it."  She's a little conspiracy-minded, and so pessimistic. Such a joy to be around for the holidays. 

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#8 of 63 Old 11-14-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post

Everyone with MIL/ Mom issues should read the book "Elsewhere" by Richard Russo.  You'll relate.  

I have this on my reading list but am worried it will be too sad, is it?  I normally like a good family dysfunction story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellp View Post

Anyways, I go and tell my mom about this and she flips on me.  Either I do this or I don't care about them, specifically my dad.  I just can't win on this.

So are you getting the Turducken?  If you haven't decided, don't do it.  Through an odd chain of events, I was able to get one from a customer two years ago for $100 or so.  It wasn't any better (or worse) that any other roasted bird I have had over the years.  If you already ordered and paid for it, I sincerely hope your's will be better than mine.

We don't see the ILs anymore so there isn't too much drama.  My mom will exhibit some general wackiness but it is very innocent and funny, not frustrating. 

Thanksgiving is shaping up ok so far.  DH has an uncontrollable obsession about making 10x the amount of food than we could possibly consume so I am tempted to fib about the number of attendees :)

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#9 of 63 Old 11-14-2012, 01:03 PM

I have so much griping to do, and so little time.

Someone, we won't name names, but someone has been threatening to come visit after Christmas.  Now, after Christmas is still a holiday for us, so if she comes right after Christmas she'll be here during our holidays, and won't that be ducky?  Yeah, my mother will love that.  However, I strongly suspect that what will really happen is she will, once again, not bother to bestir herself from her own home and then subject me to at least one weepy teleconference in which she bemoans her lack of contact with her grandchild.

And then my head will fall off and roll down the street.  <grits teeth>  Just. get. on. the. effin'. ding-dong. flippity. flappin'. plane. woman. 

I cannot, any more.

This will, however, be an improvement over the year when her dogs did both kinds of doggy business in my house, on my sofa, during the holidays, after she was asked not to bring the dogs, or, if she had to bring the dogs, to crate them.  There were no crates.  There was poop!  Who doesn't love a doggy accident for the holidays?

No, I have to stop for now, or I'll be rage-cleaning in no time, and rage-cleaning tends to be loud and the baby's sleeping and boy howdy does she I need this nap.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#10 of 63 Old 11-14-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGregory View Post

This will, however, be an improvement over the year when her dogs did both kinds of doggy business in my house, on my sofa, during the holidays, after she was asked not to bring the dogs, or, if she had to bring the dogs, to crate them.  There were no crates.  There was poop! 

Look at the bright side, at least the dogs didn't bite any of the grandchildren!

This year, I actually excluded someone from our holiday invite because of a dog.  This dog took a bite at my DS last Christmas.  DS was minding his own business, sitting with my mom and the dog kept going after him.  Family member got repeated warnings but acted like it was no big deal.  I wish I could have him without doggie but I can't have that or any dog in the house and he can't leave the dog at home, in the car or in a crate in my (nice) garage.

Anyone want to make a guess as to what percentage of holiday visit stress is related to dogs?  (or pets in general)  It has to be over 50% but then again, in my experience, can't-seperate-me-from-doggie people tend to have a fair share of other baggage they drag with them.

#11 of 63 Old 11-14-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:

However, I strongly suspect that what will really happen is she will, once again, not bother to bestir herself from her own home and then subject me to at least one weepy teleconference in which she bemoans her lack of contact with her grandchild.

At least my MIL has the good sense/common sense or fear of my DH's wrath to not pull the pity me BS. (He has crossed over from hoping she will change to absolutely no patience with her what so ever.)

A brief note was dropped in the mail several months ago mentioning a potential holiday visit but haven't heard anything since.

#12 of 63 Old 11-14-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:

I have so much griping to do, and so little time.

No, I have to stop for now, or I'll be rage-cleaning in no time, and rage-cleaning tends to be loud and the baby's sleeping and boy howdy does she I need this nap.

We will be eagerly awaiting the follow-up post.  Oh please oh please..... this kind of stuff feels so good to read.

I seriously miss my friendship with a gal with two daughters who bashed on each other as much as mine do, and it felt wonderful wonderful wonderful to hear her moan and gripe and rage about her days.  I always left those conversations feeling so peaceful!

#13 of 63 Old 11-14-2012, 02:51 PM
A&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneel View Post

I have this on my reading list but am worried it will be too sad, is it?  I normally like a good family dysfunction story.

He throws in enough humor that it's not too sad.  It's a "you have to laugh so you don't cry" story.  

#14 of 63 Old 11-14-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:

I have so much griping to do, and so little time.   Someone, we won't name names, but someone has been threatening to come visit after Christmas.  Now, after Christmas is still a holiday for us, so if she comes right after Christmas she'll be here during our holidays, and won't that be ducky?  Yeah, my mother will love that.  However, I strongly suspect that what will really happen is she will, once again, not bother to bestir herself from her own home and then subject me to at least one weepy teleconference in which she bemoans her lack of contact with her grandchild.   And then my head will fall off and roll down the street.    Just. get. on. the. effin'. ding-dong. flippity. flappin'. plane. woman.    I cannot, any more.   This will, however, be an improvement over the year when her dogs did both kinds of doggy business in my house, on my sofa, during the holidays, after she was asked not to bring the dogs, or, if she had to bring the dogs, to crate them.  There were no crates.  There was poop!  Who doesn't love a doggy accident for the holidays?   No, I have to stop for now, or I'll be rage-cleaning in no time, and rage-cleaning tends to be loud and the baby's sleeping and boy howdy does she I need this nap.

Your posts always make me laugh! Sometimes I stalk you all over MDC just to read your funny posts. Hehee. I sure hope you talk like you write.

My MIL is awesome! Seriously. She's a pot smoking hippie living in southern Oregon. What's not to love? Its my own mother who drives me to drink. She doesn't have a logical bone in her body and is the most self centered person I've ever meet. She's one of the reasons why we moved from Seattle to San Diego and no we are not traveling after my DH got laid off.

As far as dogs, we have two but since they're large, we don't bring them everywhere! Nothing boils my blood more than people who don't train their dogs just because they're small! I have an 80 lb husky/shepard/probably wolf mix and I cannot just pick him and I say "no no cuddlywinks, don't bite"! He would be put down if he bite someone! That's why he's very well trained! We're on him like white on rice because we're responsible pet owners! Ahhh! /end rant

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#15 of 63 Old 11-15-2012, 09:20 AM

Caneel, you're lucky, my own husband is more of a "let's get this drama over with!" kind of respondent, and I am not really allowed to handle things anymore because I may or may not have been the reason MIL cried the last, oh, I dunno, 3 or 4 times.  In my defense...  I am a jerk.  Um, no, actually, in my defense she's a weepy martyr, and I am a jerk.  Which I think anyone can see, is a recipe for tears.  But this thread was started just in time, because just last night MIL contacted husband with the opening strains of her "poor me" opera.  Hoping for the remission at Christmas... unlikely.  Poor husband actually referred to responding as "getting it over with", poor, poor man.  It is just not in him to tell his mother to get down off her cross and build a fire with the wood, we're cold.

SweetSilver, I am here for you.  Oh yes.  And I promise, I have some hair-raising MIL tales to tell.  The end of the dog-business on the sofa story?  After the floor was defecated on while dinner was being set to the table, I ran to the kitchen and decided I'd better start drinking or I'd start yelling.  So MIL comes in the kitchen and says something, my ears were ringing so I didn't hear it, but I assumed she was apologized for the enormous you-know-what the specifically uninvited dog just took in my dining room, and so I said, very graciously, "Gosh it's just poop, who hasn't had a doggy accident in the middle of dinner?" or something like that (Although none of our pets would DARE have an accident anywhere at any time, but I was trying to be kind and to not start screaming and throw my liquor bottle.) and you know what?  She wasn't apologizing.  She left the kitchen miffed that I wasn't listening to her.  Sorry, lady, ears ringing due to rage!  Husband thought that was hysteeeeeeeerical.

Kaydove, sadly, there is not an "edit" feature in real life, nor must I pause before hitting "submit", so frequently I am probably less witty and more horrifying.  Seriously, it's kind of a problem.  People that love me tell me that's what they love about me, but I'd still LOVE to be able to filter my assorted thoughts a little better.  But it made my morning to amuse someone!  I am nothing if not a clown.  smile.gif

Speaking of responsible pet owners... I have a 15lbs old male cat that likes to bite.  I crate him whenever people are in my house.  No exceptions.  Maybe next time MIL brings her dogs, I let the cat loose.  I'm confident he can take those two powder puffs.  He's probably desperate for the taste of blood too, the little hooligan, it's been years since he slipped past my defenses and got his teeth into some soft flesh.  Yeah, I agree... manage your animals!

#16 of 63 Old 11-15-2012, 10:14 AM

Thank you, MrsGregory, and other responsible pet owners!  Though it does sound like your old cat, in his dotage, deserves a chance at those dogs.

My older sisters and brother all like to bring their dogs to family gatherings. Generally it's been fun when it's at one of their homes, but my one sister has never asked permission to bring her dog to my house, she just started showing up with the dog. headscratch.gif  And she's a good little dog, but it makes my neurotic old dog completely stressed out whenever there's another dog in his house. He'll pee or poop right there for everyone. He's visibly relieved when everyone leaves, and breathes a huge sigh of relief. I think my perspective is skewed, as the youngest sibling, because it took me a while to clue in that really, it wasn't alright that my big sister brought her dog without asking.  I wouldn't dream of just bringing my dog to someone else's house, why does she think it's ok to do so?

The last straw was this last summer's party at my other sister's house, where her dog bit my 17 y.o. dd's hand.  2 hours in the ER and seven stitches later, and I've had it. My one sister had, of course, brought her dog, which got my other sister's dog, the Tank, kind of uppity and on edge. Now dd knows not to bother picking up a dirty paper plate from the ground if any dogs are near by. Might get your hand punctured.
angry.gif

#17 of 63 Old 11-15-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:

Caneel, you're lucky, my own husband is more of a "let's get this drama over with!" kind of respondent, and I am not really allowed to handle things anymore because I may or may not have been the reason MIL cried the last, oh, I dunno, 3 or 4 times.  In my defense...  I am a jerk.  Um, no, actually, in my defense she's a weepy martyr, and I am a jerk.  Which I think anyone can see, is a recipe for tears.  But this thread was started just in time, because just last night MIL contacted husband with the opening strains of her "poor me" opera.  Hoping for the remission at Christmas... unlikely.  Poor husband actually referred to responding as "getting it over with", poor, poor man.  It is just not in him to tell his mother to get down off her cross and build a fire with the wood, we're cold.

Have you ever seen The Ref, with Denis Leary? It features almost that exact line.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#18 of 63 Old 11-15-2012, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

At one time I LOVED the Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years...NOW banghead.gif

My IL hate me and I kind of know that going in...I have known my husband my whole life. REALLY! So I only have myself to blame.

My family treats my husband very well. That part is great.

#19 of 63 Old 11-16-2012, 03:06 AM

Quote:

Speaking of responsible pet owners... I have a 15lbs old male cat that likes to bite.  I crate him whenever people are in my house.  No exceptions.  Maybe next time MIL brings her dogs, I let the cat loose.  I'm confident he can take those two powder puffs.  He's probably desperate for the taste of blood too, the little hooligan, it's been years since he slipped past my defenses and got his teeth into some soft flesh.  Yeah, I agree... manage your animals!

And who said you can't train a cat? :)

#20 of 63 Old 11-18-2012, 03:21 PM

I avoid watching Denis Leary.  In anything.  His commentary on family is annoyingly accurate.  It's  a shame, really, because he is quite funny, but I can only handle the "it's funny 'cuz it's true" schtick so long before bitterness sets in. 

And who says I haven't trained that cat?  demon.gif

Awwww, I loves my mean old cat.  He bit my husband two nights ago.  That was less than awesome, but then he snuggled with me because he was cold, so all was forgiven. 

Come on ladies, no more in-law drama to spill?  Who will make me feel better about my own cross to bear  mother in law?

#21 of 63 Old 11-18-2012, 03:56 PM
A&A

Quote:

Come on ladies, no more in-law drama to spill?  Who will make me feel better about my own cross to bear  mother in law?

lol.gif

I will say how grateful I am to have very little to add to this thread this year.  Perhaps I will dig up old in-law threads, though, just to make you feel better.  I will complain that SIL expects us to fly to her destination wedding next year, and this will be her third wedding.  

#22 of 63 Old 11-18-2012, 04:03 PM
A&A

#23 of 63 Old 11-19-2012, 09:33 AM

I can clearly hear Kevin Spacey's voice:

Quote:
You know what I'm going to get you next Christmas, Mom? A big wooden cross, so that every time you feel unappreciated for your sacrifices, you can climb on up and nail yourself to it.
Storm Bride likes this.

#24 of 63 Old 11-19-2012, 09:39 AM

Oh golly, that first link is from 2006.  I'm having to restrain myself from posting. orngbiggrin.gif

#25 of 63 Old 11-19-2012, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

<snipped>

Not very dramatic.  MIL hijacked Thanksgiving last year -- talked about her pet issue without even drawing a breath.  It was just her, my mother, DH and me.  The rest of us were deer in the headlights -- it was horrible but kind of fascinating in a "do people really do this sort of thing?" way.  This year DH has some ideas for cutting her off while still behaving like someone who gets to live indoors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

Oh golly, that first link is from 2006.  I'm having to restrain myself from posting. orngbiggrin.gif

Yeah, the more things change, right?

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#26 of 63 Old 11-19-2012, 10:02 AM

A&A: I just read the first 10 pages of the "contest" thread. I needed to pull myself away from it, and I hadn't read that one before (it predates me at MDC). Horrifying! It's absolutely horrifying.

I am so, so, so grateful for my family and my in-laws. We have some minor drama with a couple people, but nothing major. Honestly, even my ex-in-laws, for all their flaws (my ex-FIL is a hardcore alcoholic, my ex-MIL took up cocaine and crack in her late 40s, my ex-SIL stayed clean and sober for the duration of her pregnancy, but I think that was the last time and my nephew is 24, and my ex BIL - her husband - used to be a coke dealer, until he got violently attacked by an angry customer and decided coke had no place in his life) weren't all that difficult to deal with. My ex-SIL was a little over-involved in ds1's first birthday party, which was annoying. My ex-MIL apparently complained sometimes to other people that I had "all that money" (worked a "pink collar" job - made more than minimum wage, but I certainly wasn't rolling in it!) and wouldn't share it with her son's family. That was about it. Since my family had long standing Christmas traditions (opening gifts at my mom's in the morning, and then Christmas dinner there, as well), they offered to do their family dinner on Christmas Eve, so that we could attend both - and I never heard a single negative word about, in the 15 years we were together. They were seriously screwed up people, but at least they were manipulative control freaks, or massively passive aggressive.

I think we'd run into a few issues with my in-laws, if we lived closer to them, mostly because of massive differences in religious and political views. My MIL doesn't say much, and mostly wants to make sure we all get along (I'm sure she prays for our conversion to Christianity on a daily - or hourly - basis, but that's between her and her God, and it doesn't bother me at all). She doesn't really discuss issues where we're not on the same page very much. FIL does. We talk on the phone (or use the webcam or other video service) weekly, or sometimes more, and spend a week with them every summer. That works. I think seeing them much more frequently would go bad, though.

We never have made it down for Christmas or Thanksgiving, despite our intent. Airfare for a family of six is just sooooo expensive. Fortunately, the understand that, too!

#27 of 63 Old 11-19-2012, 10:10 AM

I should say that my mil never treats me poorly.  She's always friendly with me and loving.  And now that my kids are older I really can see how it must have been very difficult for her that her oldest child (my dh) chose to marry a woman outside of their religion, whose world view is pretty different (progressive vs conservative).  I admit I'd be disappointed, and it would be hard to swallow, if my child chose to marry someone whose whole outlook isn't just different from mine but is antithetical to mine.

My poor mom, she was very liberal, was a member of the National Organization for Women, she was very atheist, and outspoken about it.  Then her son joined a very conservative, evangelical, patriarchal church. His wife is lovely but when she'd get going about religious stuff I'd see my mom tense up and grit her teeth. 

As far as the holidays are concerned, my only legitimate complaint is that MIL will inevitably get started moaning and whailing about how the US is being destroyed and that this is all leading to the End Times.  It makes my head spin. 

#28 of 63 Old 11-19-2012, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I should say that my mil never treats me poorly.  She's always friendly with me and loving.  And now that my kids are older I really can see how it must have been very difficult for her that her oldest child (my dh) chose to marry a woman outside of their religion, whose world view is pretty different (progressive vs conservative).  I admit I'd be disappointed, and it would be hard to swallow, if my child chose to marry someone whose whole outlook isn't just different from mine but is antithetical to mine.

My poor mom, she was very liberal, was a member of the National Organization for Women, she was very atheist, and outspoken about it.  Then her son joined a very conservative, evangelical, patriarchal church. His wife is lovely but when she'd get going about religious stuff I'd see my mom tense up and grit her teeth. 

As far as the holidays are concerned, my only legitimate complaint is that MIL will inevitably get started moaning and whailing about how the US is being destroyed and that this is all leading to the End Times.  It makes my head spin. 

Well, at least we're almost there!  Will she stop once the date comes and goes, do you think?

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#29 of 63 Old 11-19-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMadly View Post

Well, at least we're almost there!  Will she stop once the date comes and goes, do you think?

Can you ask her for proof because I would really like to start smoking again if the end is truly near :)

Journeymom - which came first?  The church or the wife?  I find it fascinating when someone with the type of parent you describe swings so far the other way.

#30 of 63 Old 11-19-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:

I love my sisters and their families, but going to family dinners I have to work at choking back answers to their politically and socially loaded comments.  Thankfully, in a way, conversation is limited to television.  orngtongue.gif

I am much more comfortable at my inlaw's in this regard.  BIL is conservative, but enjoys arguing, and I am confident that the entire room isn't going to gang up on me with completely inane/illogical/emotional soundbites arguments.  Actually, here, my libertarian to anarchist leanings feel more pronounced in comparison to everybody else.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page