Providing cupcakes or dessert bars - any suggestions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-16-2012, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

First, I'm not a super baker and can get stressed when they have to be "perfect."  I was asked to help out at a charity thing and I need to make about 150 cupcakes (regular sized - not mini) so I think that will be about 7 boxes of cake mix and will give me some extras for any mistakes.  Between the mixes, frosting and cupcake liners, I'm thinking it will cost me around $18-20. 

I'm picking cupcakes because it seems easiest to me, but does anyone have any suggestions for dessert bars or something similar that is easy to make, travels well and doesn't have expensive ingredients?  They don't want cakes or pies.  Thanks (will also cross post to the food section).

#2 of 7 Old 11-16-2012, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Dessert bars would be easier because you wouldn't have to frost them. Frosting 150 cupcakes sounds like a real pain to me. And with how popular cupcakes with fancy decorations have become, I'd find making them look nice to be additionally stressful. Then, there is the issue of transporting them without messing them up...

Is this a holiday or themed event? Are cookies an option?

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#3 of 7 Old 11-16-2012, 11:13 AM

Can you just do brownies or cookie bars or something? It sounds way less stressful. I don't really bake but I know there are cake bars that are basically cake mix and chocolate chips. That would be easy, tasty, and cheap, I think, and you can cut the bars to whatever size you need to make "enough."

I don't know what the guidelines are, is it a bake sale? Another thought is chocolate-dipped pretzel rods. Just buy a bunch of the large pretzel rods, dip them in melted chocolate... you could roll them in chopped nuts or sprinkles if you want to get a little fancy.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#4 of 7 Old 11-17-2012, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Brownies, Blondies, Rice Krispie Treats. You can't get much easier than brownies from a box mix, although Rice Krispie treats are super easy, too, and no oven involved. You just melt the marshmallows and butter on the stovetop. It can be a little messy, but not really hard. You'd need to do several batches. I successfully doubled the recipe, but more than that and I think it would be too messy.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#5 of 7 Old 11-17-2012, 09:09 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Have you considered a ganache type frosting instead of regular frosting. Just melted cream and chocolate? They look fancier and are easy to frost (dip and then dip again) and depending on your cost of ingredients can be cheaper. They certainly look fancier than regular and are much lower in sugar. Here is a sample recipe: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/double-dark-chocolate-cupcakes-with-peanut-butter-filling for ganache. The ingredients specified with frost more like 36 or more cupcakes.

If you happen to use the recipe instead underbake them slightly. The 20 minutes states is a bit much, at least in our oven. 

#6 of 7 Old 11-17-2012, 10:52 AM

It sounds weird, but melting a little paraffin wax into chocolate makes it harder and glossier. Maybe that would help with decorating and transporting the ganached things?

Brownie or lemon bars might be easier than icing cupcakes... http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/category/recipes/dessert/cookies

#7 of 7 Old 11-17-2012, 11:31 AM

I used a can of frosting for quick cupcakes before, they are similar to a "cheese-wiz" can. Makes decorating easy and looks good. Grate a little dark chocolate on top of the frosting...makes them look even fancier!
My favorite topping for chocolate cups cakes is a white chocolate cream. This is enough for about 10 b cupcakes but its easy to increase the batch;
Melt 2 ounces white chocolate chips into 3 ounces heavy whipping cream on stove/medium heat. And a few drops peppermint extract. Cool in fridge for 1-2 hours, or longer. Beat with hand mixer until fluffy, about 5 minutes. You can add a drop of green or red food coloring to make them pretty. Then I just spoon a little on each cupcake, doesn't need to be spreaded because the cream has some body.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page